Pipes, Water, Algae

I've done 5-6 different starts with my dupes and each time around day 25-30 I run into the same wall and I can't build fast enough to compensate for it. 

I run out of Algae. Sometimes I run out faster, sometimes slower. The CO2 then builds up around the bottom and purifying it requires a clean water tank and contaminated water tank. I've gotten to day like 40 once. That was fun. Then I had to make an oxygen machine. Which produces Hydrogen, which I can't contain. So then they all died. Boo. 

The connectors for the pipes can't go in walls. Everything in my game goes in the walls. putting them outside makes for a complex pipe system which is what I'm sure you were going for but unless you plan literally everything out at the beginning of the game and know exactly what you will put where it becomes quite a daunting task. 

Mostly its the algae issue. I do fine with food, and electricity, then they all start suffocating and stressing and vomitting and death. 

You have a fine game so far and I have to keep reminding myself I bought an alpha game, not a finished product.

Will there be medium and high quality food items? More reseach? Master research? Everything is good so far but you can get all the research done by day 40. :)

I too have been wondering on different food qualities, but as you have stated this is alpha.  But I agree that the algae issue is constant throughout my playthroughs.  As much as I try to compensate with BioDystillers, it always seems to been not enough.  Although the Puffs help tremendously.

if you dig straight up or down or sideways you should be able to spot a quite a few algae pockets, NOW, i didnt notice it at first but algae changes its color in different biomes, so keep that in mind. I was able to last up to 170ish days just producing oxygen from algae.(with 17 dupes)

Algae is a bit of a crutch, as is coal. once you've got your base established, you probably need to wean yourself off algae and use water through electrolizers, assuming you have enough water. (I did this in my latest world as there was so little algae). That or set up an algae farm with biodistillers, which take a lot of water and power.

Archived