Steam Generator

15 hours ago, Joshu145 said:

Pressure is a combination of more than just temperature. that's all i've been trying to tell you this whole time.

Like I said above, [I agree none of the comments apply if you're adding some other energy source externally, such as a running river. But at that point, it is no longer a "steam engine" it is instead something else, perhaps a "windmill" or a "hydro dam" both of which take advantage of non-temperature based pressure, but they're not steam engines.

I'm a bit torn about this.  On the one hand, it would be an interesting way to utilize steam.  However, because they added steam geysers, these would essentially be unlimited power and simplified cooling of steam into usable water, which seems a bit broken.  In addition, water is already a source of power by conversion into hydrogen, which requires additional steps and preparation.

So while I love the idea of a Steam Turbine, I just feel it wouldn't fit into the game really.

3 hours ago, Ecu said:

I'm a bit torn about this.  On the one hand, it would be an interesting way to utilize steam.  However, because they added steam geysers, these would essentially be unlimited power and simplified cooling of steam into usable water, which seems a bit broken.  In addition, water is already a source of power by conversion into hydrogen, which requires additional steps and preparation.

Steam geysers are already in the thermal upgrade ?

I think it's more a matter of balance : coal generators emit lots of CO2 and hydrogen generators can't work for hours... If the steam geysers aren't unlimited or if the steam turbine has regular failures, the game won't be too easy :)

19 minutes ago, Mishi21 said:

I think it's more a matter of balance : coal generators emit lots of CO2 and hydrogen generators can't work for hours... If the steam geysers aren't unlimited or if the steam turbine has regular failures, the game won't be too easy :)

Steam geysers are unlimited.  No other machine in the game has regular failures (unless you regularly overheat it, I guess).  As such a steam turbine just really won't work in the given system as a power source, without trivializing things.  I suppose they could heavily tone down the steam generated by the geysers so that it is very small and then use other systems to superheat water in order to run it through turbines.

Add to this the idea that you can current take the water from a steam geyser and run it through an electrolyzer to oxygen and hydrogen (which can be then made into power).  Seems a bit redundant to use steam directly for power at that point.

32 minutes ago, Mishi21 said:

Why do you say hydrogen generators can't work for hours?

24 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Why do you say hydrogen generators can't work for hours?

Hydrogen generators have a high flow rate, so when you connect them to a hydrogen pocket (with a gas pump and pipes) the hydrogen gas pocket gets depleted pretty quickly

2 minutes ago, Mishi21 said:

Hydrogen generators have a high flow rate, so when you connect them to a hydrogen pocket (with a gas pump and pipes) the hydrogen gas pocket gets depleted pretty quickly

As of the thermal update, you can keep a whole lot of electrolyzers pumping out hydrogen and the pumps work better to better feed that hydrogen into the generator.  I've seen quite a few people using them now.

5 minutes ago, Mishi21 said:

Ah, but we're talking about using the water from geyers to generate oxygen through electrolyzers and then using the hydrogen to run the hydrogen generator. The system gives 240J surplus, or roughly the same as a dupe on hamster wheel running all day (when counting breaks for sleeping, eating and ...you know). 

EDIT: So in effect it is steam (geyser) power.

Why not make geothermal generators in such a way that you cant completely rely on them but still encourages you to find them so you rely less on other source of power. I also think its a question of balance. Since they are in fixed locations makes it pretty end game objective if you want to use them all.

5 hours ago, PickPay said:

Why not make geothermal generators in such a way that you cant completely rely on them but still encourages you to find them so you rely less on other source of power. I also think its a question of balance. Since they are in fixed locations makes it pretty end game objective if you want to use them all.

The issue is that currently geysers produce a ton of steam.  So in order to allow a steam turbine to be balanced given the current state of geysers, they would have to produce very little power.  At that point, it ends up more efficient to just use hydrogen generators as you get oxygen as well.

Archived