How is it: Life without Extra Equip Slots

I prefer hybrid playstyle when it comes to body slot items. I understand people who doesn't use backpacks at all.
I prefer body clothing for same reason, quicker actions like cooling down - I can just put on chilled amulet and then switch back to floral shirt. If I had backpack I would have to wait in one spot with amulet on, so why not use endo fires instead?
 However, I use backpacks a lot during early phases of game when I need to pick up lots if useful items, like reeds, spots, gold, flint, twigs and others. I also swap to backpack (usually piggyback in this situation) when I want to build crap. Usually I make mistakes or decided to change some details, so I need many free slots, this way I don't need to put half of the items on ground to craft one doodad. And of course turf trips. The more space for turfs the better, same with gathering wood from Bearger/Maxwell and so on.

The thing with armor is that log suits are way cheaper than football helmets or battle helmets and are still viable + you can have miner hat, moggle, tam o' shanter or whatever on your head.

i tried playing as wolfgang with hunger belt and it was awesome, not even using dank swords, i was just constantly dancing with everything in the world: bees, spiders, hounds, giants (got it at first autumn - was helping others before going to ruins) - and you know, had to keep a bunch of food every time - large, small, also raw for cooking later, also heals sometimes, weapon, some helm\material and it was not that hard

and when i play wicker i'm all like: "i could fit many books in here" and never come out of camp and just constantly do farming

edit: and yes, if you can equip backpack and a raincoat, try to also fit 40x15 rocks in your pockets (or 15x20 wall pieces), damn, just 15 axes would end me

ps how does shell seem with backpack on with mod?

3 hours ago, SuperDavid said:

In real life I can equip a backpack & a raincoat at the same time, so...

Can you also put a gem on a stick and start shooting fire or ice out of it? What about making some walls and putting them in your pockets? Or how about making a tool of gold that's pretty durable?

10 hours ago, Apchi said:

I think most part of players are play like that.

I'm very organised, and I should say: I have no idea how to play without backpack. I can go to kill MacTusk and come back with 3 stacks of ice, tam, walrus tooth, 8 meat, trunk, some cactus if I want to and also get some carpet tuft "just because I passed by". It saves time a lot!

But it's really surprised me that there is people who prefers jackets to backpack. I have no friends in steam with similar playing style for >1 year in DST. Also never met them on public servers.

i think, it kinda depends on what public servers you are playing. 

i played on a lot of public servers, and when there are no mods on it, most time only people who don't make their own base don't use backpack. they don't do anything special, most times they hang around the base.. they don't go out and gather several ressources. 

but some items like rain coat are even good when you are using a backpack.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Can you also put a gem on a stick and start shooting fire or ice out of it? What about making some walls and putting them in your pockets? Or how about making a tool of gold that's pretty durable?

I don't understand...what are you trying to say :)?

I'm just saying wearing a backpack, or amulet with a cloth item like a dappervest or raincoat should've been possible from the beginning... It wouldn't be extremely op & it gives more incentive to use them over wearing a piece of armor all the time.

11 minutes ago, SuperDavid said:

I don't understand...what are you trying to say :)?

I'm just saying wearing a backpack, or amulet with a cloth item like a dappervest or raincoat should've been possible from the beginning... It wouldn't be extremely op & it gives more incentive to use them over wearing a piece of armor all the time.

I was jokingly trying to say that realism isn't this game's strong point. There's a lot of little silly things this game does that don't make sense.

And one could argue that it is op. You have a choice between increased inventory space or easy weather survival gear/constant protection. And when you remove this choice it just generally makes survival even easier.

9 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

And one could argue that it is op. You have a choice between increased inventory space or easy weather survival gear/constant protection. And when you remove this choice it just generally makes survival even easier.

It could be locked to very specific clothes like the dapper vest & a few other stuff that don't classify as "easy weather survival gear/constant protection" then it doesn't be op....... Though, I'm using Extra Equip Slots so it doesn't even matter, ahahaha :D!

Several months ago I was playing my DS games with extra equip slots mod. Then, when the game was too easy for me I stopped using it. And I'm glad I did! At first it was more difficult - but after some time have passed - game is still easy :)

So what's the main difference between playing with - and without - the mod? You have to put more thinking into the inventory management & planning. Also You have to decide what item is worth using in the current situation / season. And this made the game more fun & interesting for me :)

8ap8a4E.png

I could imagine playing without the backpack: i'd get rid of the lantern entirely  if favor of magniluminescence and stack of nightmare fuel( you pick it up a lot so it's not realy taking a slot :D), get rid of the food, eat before the trip and have belt of hunger equipped ( hibernation vest during the winter). also could get rid of the goold ( not sure about that) and seasonal hat and additional armour ( only have one equipped)  + i'd add chill amuet/ summer frest+ precrafted endoflame for the summer. That would leave me with i belive what is around 5 empty slots (either for tools or items) witch i could expand to 13 using chester , but then what's the piont of having maginluminecence+cane if you have to wait for him anyway. As i'm playing now i have 10 open slots without chester (18 if carrying eyebone) and i can only imagine that nice "up to 24" if i have krampus sack, so in my mind having a backpack is actually superior. sacryficing 25% speed, and some flexibility for the slots is bad for fighting, and surviving but usualy i don't need that additional boost, and surviving isn't a problem for me.  At the end it's personal preference, and maybe i'm just not good enough yet witch task and inventory menagement to run without a pack.

Primary I'm a all-base builder (and gatherer) so I need the backpack - it's a good compromise between Piggyback and fighting stuff via kiting (just head slot armor). Mid game I tend to deplete world of valuable stuff using Krampus' Sack. I base in Ruins so no problem with killing/farming monkeys, 'cheese' Ancient Guardian, exterminating everything else (Worms, Slurpers, Slurtle Mounds beside 1 or 2, all Spilagmites etc) that can be eliminated. And I take my time (no "classic" speedruns), enjoying the game, having a laugh.

But no server mods, thank you, viva vanilla!

Btw: would be nice if special Backpack skins could be applied in a distinctive manner to other craftable variants (Piggyback, Insulated Pack) like how one can do with Prestihatitator alternatives.

1 hour ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Btw: would be nice if special Backpack skins could be applied in a distinctive manner to other craftable variants (Piggyback, Insulated Pack) like how one can do with Prestihatitator alternatives.

But you don't make a piggyback or insulated pack with a backpack it wouldn't make sense, also it would be quite confusing having both the backpack and the insulated pack or piggyback look the same.

I treat the backpack like I would any other equipment, by using it when it's convenient or necessary. By never using the backpack, a player doesn't benefit from the usefulness of the backpack. By only using the backpack, a player doesn't benefit from the usefulness of other equipment. If a player wants to get the most utility out of all available equipment, a balance has to be struck.

Personally, I find the backpack to be very useful for early exploration, long mining/logging/ruins trips, and holding ingredients for crafting/building. It also prevents your food items from getting wet, or eaten should you die.

..special Backpack skins could be applied in a distinctive manner..

That distinctive manner means they would look slightly different - take Smallbird Satchel for example: backpack is black. Piggyback skinned variant could be pinkish-black and a bit longer-fatter; Insulated Pack being bluish and a bit more puffy-or-so. But yes, your observation regarding the crafting process makes for a logical difference in tackling this skin-related thing - as one doesn't need backpack to craft a piggyback or insulated pack.

21 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

I treat the backpack like I would any other equipment, by using it when it's convenient or necessary. By never using the backpack, a player doesn't benefit from the usefulness of the backpack. By only using the backpack, a player doesn't benefit from the usefulness of other equipment. If a player wants to get the most utility out of all available equipment, a balance has to be struck.

Personally, I find the backpack to be very useful for early exploration, long mining/logging/ruins trips, and holding ingredients for crafting/building. It also prevents your food items from getting wet, or eaten should you die.

well, that's somehow simular to what i think. I personaly use backpack during the most of my ds gameplay, but if i'm ithe base having a specyfic plan for the trip. in eg. killing a boss or farming werepigs during the full moon  than i take some specyfic body equipment with me, so i can benefit from it.

Archived