New Players Should NOT Be Allowed To Vote Server Regen..

Extremely. Extremely. Extremely. Tired of getting a server to spring or summer, and when new players start joining because the season is easier to survive in and they get their arses plastered all over the walls; because the server is already in progress and thus starting is not easy. And guess what happens, they vote for a regeneration. Because they want to play in a new game.

So the two or three players that have been in said server for twenty to fifty days, hours of gameplay, are pretty much always outnumbered by the slew of new players that show up. And so the server gets reset. Flawless system. Why bother progressing at all. Just spent an entire day getting to late spring, had it all erased because all the new players got whiny over frog rain. The fact this is possible is absurd and it has now happened three times in as many days.

New players should not be able to start or vote for a server regeneration unless they have been playing for a week. Or two. That is just it really, this problem makes it borderline impossible to get a public server into summer. Because you literally have to hope the new players will not have a tantrum and want to erase everybodies progress so they can play instead of just finding a new server. You literally have to roll the dice, and beg and plead to the stars that the players who join you will behave or the players who stay through winter outnumber them. But you will almost always be outnumbered, because most players die or quit in winter anyways. Leaving maybe two at maximum usually still there.

Not to mention the fact that if you leave a server while you are on vote to be kicked, it negates the vote and forces players to vote again when you come back. Making kicking impossible to perform on players that want to avoid it. Endless griefing potential.

Fantastic system. Seriously. Want to play on a public server for better connection and more community openness, might as well just stand and talk really because if you actually make it through winter you will have fresh garbage slump through the portal and take it all away from you because they do not care.

I don't see this problem on consoles which is weird. But yea on PC I agree, way more whiny babies trying to get their way. It would be nice if it required a time limit on server before voting. Ive seen the same thing where 3 buddies all join a server and immediately vote to kick the person who survived the most days.

3 hours ago, Mafiabrett said:

I don't see this problem on consoles which is weird. But yea on PC I agree, way more whiny babies trying to get their way. It would be nice if it required a time limit on server before voting. Ive seen the same thing where 3 buddies all join a server and immediately vote to kick the person who survived the most days.

To add to this, every time I join a dedicated server (In which I am not lagging but that's a separate topic) there's never an admin around.

Coincidence? I think not!

Apparently now servers are all being reset by a group of tumors- group of users Door, Kleo and Chess who are joining and kicking everybody. Destroying their progress and locking them out of that server. Just lost twenty eight days with four canes and krampus sack.

Hey developers. Want to fix your voting system. Hey developers. Want to learn how to make one. Have not been able to leave a server willfully in four days; because it always gets regenerated or grief'd. FIX IT.

1 hour ago, Renegade_Doll said:

Apparently now servers are all being reset by a group of tumors- group of users Door, Kleo and Chess who are joining and kicking everybody. Destroying their progress and locking them out of that server. Just lost twenty eight days with four canes and krampus sack.

Hey developers. Want to fix your voting system. Hey developers. Want to learn how to make one. Have not been able to leave a server willfully in four days; because it always gets regenerated or grief'd. FIX IT.

If you're trying to keep a server alive you're much better off making your own or joining a friend. Public servers are very hard to maintain because of this issue, so if you want to keep all your progress and not risk losing it so much you're better off making a server or joining a friends server and turning off the useless voting system. Also threads likes these are made quite often without any developer input so I wouldn't expect to get any feedback.

2 hours ago, Renegade_Doll said:

True.

We need to know who starts a poll for kick other people.

On a public server, especially the Klei servers, I expect to get no further than Fall to be honest -- maybe a bit into Winter.  For those servers I use a playstyle that focuses on early-game enjoyment rather than survival.  So I take Wes and challenge myself to do something stupid or die trying -- like domesticate a beefalo as quickly as possible, or see how fast I can drop an alch. at the portal for new players, or RP a mime .....

If you want a longer, more permanent, game I think you need to take ItsPizzaTime's advice;  find a more private server that restricts the playerbase.  There are steam groups you can join that have such things.

I think wishing for a fix from the Devs is more likely to result in you continuing to be frustrated.

The problem with private servers is they are private, which means the community will be less open. Which is inherently good for gameplay and bad for sociability. Are they any specifically auspicious groups to join, as there seem to be many random no-name-brand ones.

Would assume groups also have more experienced players though, who are inherently less enjoyable to play with being they know all the min-max techniques which leads to less failure and struggle. Deerclops is the biggest adjudicator for it.

Everybody knows the voting system is flawed. For now, play on reputable servers with an admin on (check for a star icon). Servers need moderation - mine are 90% always public and don't get griefed often (if at all, but I've got tools to fix the damage).

And finally, do not name trolls. Send a PM. We are not allowed to call any particular Steam user out, that's the rules.

On 3/8/2017 at 7:26 PM, Arlesienne said:

And finally, do not name trolls. Send a PM. We are not allowed to call any particular Steam user out, that's the rules.

Makes it rather, actually, impossibly difficult to spread the word now does it. Am assuming it is a privacy matter. Yes, and so they privately run around causing chaos and suffering. The criminal justice system does not respect privacy either, as the whole point is making people aware of threats. And if people want to frame other people, they will run around servers warning them of a false problem anyways.

Rhetorical.

Just now, Renegade_Doll said:

Makes it rather, actually, impossibly difficult to spread the word now does it. Am assuming it is a privacy matter. Yes, and so they privately run around causing chaos and suffering. The criminal justice system does not respect privacy either, as the whole point is making people aware of threats. And if people want to frame other people, they will run around servers warning them of a false problem anyways.

Rhetorical.

Not really. Do you know of the project of griefer reporting (with evidence of logs and screenshots) that @cezarica started? It works like a charm and isn't against the forums' ToS. A win-win.

Just now, Rellimarual said:

Also there is nothing to stop someone from falsely reporting someone they wish to harasss  if it's just random users posting in the forum without proof.

That's why the ToS can't be tampered with. My servers require proof that is not easy to cheat, namely logs and screenshots, plus special mods for moderation. @cezarica has the same system, we trade blacklists based on evidence like that. Better not to ban a hundred griefers than ban a single innocent person.

38 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Where can this vetted list of griefers be found?

Also is this list of greifers comprised of people from the ANR beta branch or the normal branch? From experience I don't find nearly as many griefers on the beta branch as I do on the normal one. It's also because of this that I fear the day when Klei combines the two because of obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Where can this vetted list of griefers be found?

And

3 hours ago, voyager156 said:

Yeah I'm also curious...

PM Cezarica.

2 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

Also is this list of greifers comprised of people from the ANR beta branch or the normal branch? From experience I don't find nearly as many griefers on the beta branch as I do on the normal one. It's also because of this that I fear the day when Klei combines the two because of obvious reasons.

Both. You have reason to worry. I do too. Well... moderation is key.

Awww.. @Arlesienne you make me blush! ;)

It's more of a "heads up" service that all parties involved benefit than anything else really. :)

What I'm sharing with Arlesienne are mostly incidents with sole purpose to cause harm that had happened on my own dedicated server currently in ANR branch, always in a transparent manner with full disclosure from logs if it's the case and available (on my own server I got logs starting with 18 October 2016 up to date) so there's not even a shadow of a doubt about what I'm stating. From there it's up to him and everyone else I may share this piece of information what to do with it. But, one thing is certain: i won't name and shame on the forums.

I also maintain an open discussion with a friend that is playing outside the beta branch on multiple servers, mostly from US, and from what I gathered so far from him there's quite a large list of people that he claims have been causing harm in a way or another, but I can't vouch for it as would do with whatever I share with Arlesienne for instance.

Archived