Fully Self Sustainable Base

1 minute ago, kambing said:

You should also shoot for capturing a hatch and feeding it dirt from all the evaporated contaminated water to get coal, then you can have renewable coal power.

I'd love to. I haven't yet experimented with them yet though. I do plan on doing so extensively soon!
The only issue is that the dirt left over is a really small amount. Still why not, but that's why i've been putting it off.

I don't understand how this could work. I'd love the save to test.

A maxed thermoregulator produces ~1.1kg per second. You have 20*240W = 4800W in your O2 production area. A dupe uses 0.1kg per second and produces 400W. So each dupe uses 0.1kg and produces 0.09kg every second. And that's without sleeping.

I think your batteries may be skewing your results (or maybe there's a bug with energy generation). How long have you run this thing for?

7 minutes ago, doot_toot said:

I don't understand how this could work. I'd love the save to test.

A maxed thermoregulator produces ~1.1kg per second. You have 20*240W = 4800W in your O2 production area. A dupe uses 0.1kg per second and produces 400W. So each dupe uses 0.1kg and produces 0.09kg every second. And that's without sleeping.

I think your batteries may be skewing your results (or maybe there's a bug with energy generation). How long have you run this thing for?

Divers Lungs
EDIT : I have a save that i use for most of my testing, in which all 3 starter dupes have Diver's Lungs, Vomiter, and either - Irritable bowel, or  Small Bladder (to make more contaminated water, although it's not needed here).

55 minutes ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

With a loop, for every drop of 14 degrees, you are powering both a pump and thermo. With a straight line you are saving on 16x the pump cost.

It's only true if all the pipes are in max throughput. You are using only one pump to feed all the thermo regulators, in one pass a regulator cools -14 degrees for only a small trunk of air. So you can add a filter from clean air pump back to the regulators, and remove a half of them, maybe.

Or put in more morbs and dirty input pumps and more dupe power to make use of the regulator array.

Just now, lcy03406 said:

It's only true if all the pipes are in max throughput. You are using only one pump to feed all the thermo regulators, in one pass a regulator cools -14 degrees for only a small trunk of air. So you can add a filter from clean air pump back to the regulators, and remove a half of them, maybe.

Or put in more morbs and dirty input pumps and more dupe power to make use of the regulator array.

Well the idea is to run it at 100% efficiency, with so many morbs that the gas never depletes.
That way every blob of gas down the pipes is a full 1kg.
Currently it only runs that way for the first few seconds, but there is no reason that with enough morbs it couldn't do it indefinitely.
(Although, obviously power is always going to be the limiting factor.)

My suggestion would be to create a secondary system on a higher priority for the input pumps, to allow the input lines to backup letting the thermos run at full capacity. Just a pump (or two) a battery and a wheel would do it. The pumps will only run while there is room to fill the input line, so no wasted electricity just good efficiency.

6 minutes ago, doot_toot said:

My suggestion would be to create a secondary system on a higher priority for the input pumps, to allow the input lines to backup letting the thermos run at full capacity. Just a pump (or two) a battery and a wheel would do it. The pumps will only run while there is room to fill the input line, so no wasted electricity just good efficiency.

Don't they use electricity just by being plugged in? Isn't that what the tooltip means when it says batteries slowly lose charge?
I believe someone on this forum showed that they don't actually lose charge on their own, only if they are plugged into a device.
For example, a research station uses charge when it's not researching anything at all, which is why people dismantle, or disconnect them when they are done with research.
I haven't personally testing this though, i'm just going by what i've read.

6 minutes ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Don't they use electricity just by being plugged in? Isn't that what the tooltip means when it says batteries slowly lose charge?
I believe someone on this forum showed that they don't actually lose charge on their own, only if they are plugged into a device.
For example, a research station uses charge when it's not researching anything at all, which is why people dismantle, or disconnect them when they are done with research.

Maybe they fixed it because it doesn't work like that anymore.

I just tested with a couple of batteries and a pump on a separate power grid to a cooler. When the cooler stopped the pump kept filling the input pipe and when the pipe was full the pump stopped, once the pump stopped the batteries stopped losing charge.

11 hours ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

I'm currently working on a better version, so i'll probably post that instead :)

I am still waiting for your save :? really wanna give a try with  the design

This looks so cool.  How does unwanted gas removal work? It looks like an enclosed room, does the gas pressure never max out? 

And does that unconnected pump in that room serve a purpose?

6 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Yep but with the help of the Console so it's only a theoretical base.

Yeah. It's a bit harder to actually do in a real game run like my builds but not implausible. Heck, I'd have no problem building anything as I got a ton of resources and dupes with level 45 running, level 30 digging, level 25 construction, and so on. They could build most of this stuff in a few cycles, it's just that because of lag, a few cycles really takes a long long time now.

1 hour ago, Profitz said:

There is a lot of effort put into this base. However, can we truly call something based on bug exploitation (Save\Load Morb breading) a self-sustained base?

Actually, more than half of these morbs were rounded up into those cells.
It's not a bug anyway, as there's not really a way to avoid having to save and quit your game only to load it up later.
I can't play for 60 hours straight. This is completely achievable without any bugs or exploitation.

3 hours ago, ospirit said:

I am still waiting for your save :? really wanna give a try with  the design

I posted "The Prison" which was originally the upgrade to this, but changed slightly. It might be what you are looking for? Otherwise i can dig up this save for you (i have 100's of saves now...)

2 hours ago, aeno33 said:

This looks so cool.  How does unwanted gas removal work? It looks like an enclosed room, does the gas pressure never max out? 

And does that unconnected pump in that room serve a purpose?

I'm not sure which pipe you are talking about, but I don't think there should be an unconnected pipe if there is one. I probably changed it's direction and forgot to dismantle it or something.
The gas removal works by putting the gas on a loop through a pump and vent.
A little bit of gas (or liquid) is destroyed each time, as it's not 100% efficient.

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

Yep but with the help of the Console so it's only a theoretical base.

I've built plenty of similar (smaller) versions of this base without any debug commands.
It's perfectly viable without them.
There are more than enough Morbs on the map even without killing a dupe to make this happen.
Even when starting this (and for most of it) i didn't even know about the spawning of Morbs, or any teleportation.
I was using only the paint tool for walls so it was quicker. More than half of those morbs were rounded up from over the map by hand.
It only takes 2 to 3 morbs to support a dupe, slightly less than 2 with the divers lung perk.

22 minutes ago, kambing said:

How do you even round up wild morbs? It takes me a few days currently just to starve the dupes in the morb pit, and subsequent corpses don't spawn morbs.

Save and reload after all 3 morbs have spawned from one corpse. That resets the clock, and another 3 will spawn after.

Talking about temps, shouldnt you have a problem with to high temperatures for growing after a really long time? I mean, practicly that time could be way to far ahead, but at least, if we talk about 100% sustainability. Or did I miss something

Archived