Fully Self Sustainable Base

I've finally managed to build a fully self sustainable base!

It produces just enough oxygen to sustain 3 dupes, although with more morbs, it might support 4. (As the contaminated oxygen to clean oxygen exchange rate starts out great, but once the pressure of the gas room drops, it loses efficiency. With more morbs, the pressure will stay up longer, meaning the oxygen cleaner can be left switched on at high efficiency for longer)

It can recycle water (slowly) although there is no need for water in this base,
but an electrolyzer system could be added to increase both oxygen production, and ease power (with the use of a hydrogen generator).
[I didn't bother putting this in, as it could only be switched on for a couple seconds at a time with the amount of water produced]

It removes co2, and any other unwanted gas, at the flick of a switch.

It has a grow room that requires no maintenance or temperature control, as nobody ever goes into it.

And no need to clean up any vomit, pee, etc. It all gets recycled.

EDIT : I wasn't clear on this, but each room can be toggled on and off with switches.
There is no way this could be sustainable if every room was on all the time.
In fact, the oxygen room can only be turned on for very short intervals (although it still produces more than enough, the main reason it can't be left on is the power consumption). The steamer room doesn't use power, except to pump out the steam (which is also toggleable).
The lights are also all switched off until it starts producing a slight excess of power. But for now, they are just for display.

Also, the dupes all have Diver's Lung trait, so that they consume less oxygen. (They also have vomiter, and small bladder/irritable bowel).

SelfSufficient02.png

If you have any suggestions to improve on this, lets discuss them here. Together i'm sure we can all come up with the absolute most efficient, self sustaining base. I'll post the pipe layout below too.

Note: The "Air Con" room is completely optional. I built it because i was worried about the temperature climbing in the gas room, and the morbs dying. But so far i've never needed to switch it on, and the temperature seems constant.

EDIT : Also, there is actually no need to clean oxygen, as dupes are fine to inhale it. I just wanted to include clean water and oxygen.
A self sustaining base that does not clean oxygen is fairly easy to achieve, as morbs produce an endless supply for free.

2 minutes ago, tehMugwump said:

Nice.  This would make a good youtube vid.

It sure would! Maybe you could make one ;)

Please feel free to use any part of this design, it's mostly modular, and each room can fit in someone elses existing design.
I'd like to see this design evolve with the help of other peoples ideas too.
Anyone, feel free to post your own ideas, or improvements here. That's the point of this thread!
Let's build the most efficient, self sustaining base possible.

19 minutes ago, birol14 said:

i wish there was more free walking places not like locking doors and vomit pee them to live it like that.

The only place there is vomit and pee, etc, is in the 2 collection chambers, and it's only there if the water recycler is switched off.
It's such a tiny amount, maybe 30 grams here and there.
The stuff on the roof is not part of the base, and could just be cleaned up.
Also, there are no locked doors, they can leave the base any time (and often do!).
You could build anything else you wanted to above it, what i'm showing here is just the core. Everything you need to survive.

EDIT : Everywhere the dupes can go, the air is 100% clean oxygen, and they don't touch dirty water.

2 minutes ago, doot_toot said:

A self-sustaining base that take 4 dupes to power and supports 3 dupes?

No, it takes 2.5 to power, but it has room for 4.
There are only 3 dupes living there at the moment (there are also only 3 in the screenshot).
What i was saying is, that given more morbs in the gas chamber, it could easily support 4 as well,
without having to change any base design.

2 minutes ago, lcy03406 said:

No this oxy room needs way more than 4.

No it doesn't. It's only turned on when you need oxygen. It produces oxygen much faster than it needs to, so you only need to turn it on for short intervals. All the rooms have a toggle power switch.

EDIT : The reason i was talking about efficiency is because with the oxygen generator on, the gas room VERY quickly runs out of gas, as the pressure seems to cap (for me, but for some reason different for others) at just slightly over 1kg per cube.
So the longer you leave it on without a rest, the less efficient it is.
That's because the morbs are currently not replacing the dirty oxygen quick enough, but they are more than producing enough to keep 4 dupes alive.
If there were more morbs, the dirty oxygen would deplete slower (or with enough, never deplete!).
Currently you have to keep an eye on both power, and the pressure of the gas room, and only turn on the oxygen generator when both are optimal, and only for enough time to replenish the oxygen.
With more morbs, you wouldn't have to worry about the gas pressure anymore, just the power.

I'm just wondering how did you manage to produce 7945W of power with just 3 dupes?

At the very least you would need 4320W for the oxygen cleaner, which is more than 10 times the amount producible by the dupes.

1 minute ago, lcy03406 said:

So can you print more dupes to power the ac and consume o2? A zero-micromanagement self sustainable base would be more exciting!

Currently, no. Because without the extra morbs (and lots of them), it can't sustain more dupes.
And yeah, it sure would! That's exactly what i'm working on right now.

Just now, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

You don't need anywhere near that.
Again, the rooms are only switched on for seconds at a time. Most of the time they are not connected to power.

I wonder even if they are just powering the essential oxygen generator for moments in a day, if the amount of oxygen generated is enough to sustain.

Just now, kambing said:

I wonder even if they are just powering the essential oxygen generator for moments in a day, if the amount of oxygen generated is enough to sustain.

Currently it's enough to sustain 3. I wanted to sustain 4, but it's not enough for that yet.
However, it would be much more efficient if the pumps were taking a full load of dirty oxygen every time, so there is room to increase efficiency with more morbs.
At the moment, once the dirty oxygen room pump has been on for just a few seconds, the pressure is almost halved, meaning it's taking less dirty oxygen for the same power cost. With enough morbs, this could be negated, and i'm sure (although not tested yet) that it could then sustain 4 dupes.

Just now, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Currently it's enough to sustain 3. I wanted to sustain 4, but it's not enough for that yet.
However, it would be much more efficient if the pumps were taking a full load of dirty oxygen every time, so there is room to increase efficiency with more morbs.
At the moment, once the dirty oxygen room pump has been on for just a few seconds, the pressure is almost halved, meaning it's taking less dirty oxygen for the same power cost. With enough morbs, this could be negated, and i'm sure (although not tested yet) that it could then sustain 4 dupes.

You could probably use less than half the number of thermo regulators required by looping back the output of the thermos to itself, and using a filter to extract the oxygen (once it's turned into oxygen). This way you could save a lot of power and probably run the oxygen generator for longer periods at a time.

Just now, kambing said:

You could probably use less than half the number of thermo regulators required by looping back the output of the thermos to itself, and using a filter to extract the oxygen (once it's turned into oxygen). This way you could save a lot of power and probably run the oxygen generator for longer periods at a time.

Unfortunately not.
That was what i started with, but some others in a different thread pointed out that it's more efficient to have it pass through only once.
With a loop, for every drop of 14 degrees, you are powering both a pump and thermo. With a straight line you are saving on 16x the pump cost.
If you mean that you loop it directly back to the thermo, unfortunately it can't change state inside the pipes.

Archived