[TEMPLATE] Custom Player Animation

PanAzej

7 minutes ago, PeterA said:

What issue with layers were you seeing?

In a previous character mod, I shifted the hair sprite to the far back since it's originally between the torso and head. Now I'm working on a new one, and can't get the hair sprite to go back to normal.

Since I've asked that question, my character won't even show up now...

• Developer

Are you just replacing the character's build, and not making your own animation? The layering order is determined by the animation, so if you are just using the base animations from the game (wilson's animations/stategraph) with a new build then you won't be able to override that layering.

• Like 2

Little question about animations and stuff. I was working on a character mod that i wanted it to fly instead of walking. Back in that time, i've searched so hard about it, but i wasnt able to find anything.

This topic is well related to my issue... so, anyone have any ideia to how can i change the base animations? A little tutorial could be helpful! I'm pretty newbie about this, but i know the basics and i'm looking forward to make it happen!

• Developer
21 hours ago, Gran said:

how can i change the base animations

Hey Gran, I'm not super familiar with the state graph unfortunately, but I believe what you'd need to do is create new run anims and then in your mod you'd need to call AddStategraphPostInit, and then modify the "run_start", "run" and "run_stop" states to call your animation instead of the base ones.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2017 at 3:41 PM, PeterA said:

Are you just replacing the character's build, and not making your own animation? The layering order is determined by the animation, so if you are just using the base animations from the game (wilson's animations/stategraph) with a new build then you won't be able to override that layering.

I want to say yes. I'm not exactly sure, still new to this. Is it the files in the anim zip folder? Do I fix the problem by copy and pasting those files from the template and into the mod's?

And would this tool help move sprites? The character I'm working on has a wide grin, so the default cheek placement looks off when eating.

Just to clarify no time to check myself right now, but it is for custom animations about how much customization we still need all the parts for the charackters like in Sample charackter i guess. But we can just make new animations beside the default ones right ? So speaking of working more with Spriter how we pleases.

Edited by Deathlord Avon

• Developer
On 1/13/2018 at 3:40 AM, Aquaterion said:

How does 1 go about adding a different state for a limb? such as ARM_normal or HEAD_hat to be used with :Show()/:Hide()?

There's nothing special about them, they are just layer/folder names that are turned on/off by the gameplay code depending on if an item or hat is equipped.

2 hours ago, PeterA said:

There's nothing special about them, they are just layer/folder names that are turned on/off by the gameplay code depending on if an item or hat is equipped.

Is it? I tried using this template and changing ARM_carry to something else and I couldn't seem to manage to get it to work.(tested with ThePlayer.AnimState:Show()) Just to be clear, I am trying to add a new "limb state" for all characters. Would I need to make a copy of ARM_carry and modify it, or can i just change ARM_carry since its already in the in game wilson animations? Wouldn't I need to alter the default animations that would use this new "limb state", such as idle and what not?

• Developer

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's a way to modify the existing animations by inserting new animation data into an existing anim, so you'd need to override the entire anim bank that a character is using, which may require a new stategraph (or atleast modify the existing stategraph to always use your anims when your new state is active).

I might not be understanding exactly what you're trying to achieve though.

6 hours ago, PeterA said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's a way to modify the existing animations by inserting new animation data into an existing anim, so you'd need to override the entire anim bank that a character is using, which may require a new stategraph (or atleast modify the existing stategraph to always use your anims when your new state is active).

I might not be understanding exactly what you're trying to achieve though.

I'll give an example of what I'm trying to achieve;

There is a weapon that is held differently than normal weapons, so ARM_carry isn't really cutting it. So I tried to create ARM_special, so when this weapon is equipped, I would use Animstate:Show("arm_special") instead of Animstate:Show("arm_carry").

Hey, sorry as I see this thread is kinda old and don't really want to necro but at the same time I had a few questions.

So I was linked to this when asking about what I could use to kinda work on spriting my custom character into the game since I'm a bit new to this whole experience and needed a bit of help figuring things out, so what I wanted to know is if this could be used for that, and also would I be able to do custom idle animations with this? (Such as the side-scratch when facing away from the camera, or the rock-kick when facing left or right). I've never worked with Spriter before and I've never modded in DST before, so you can see where I'm a bit intimidated. So far I've found a pretty useful template for custom character modding and the guide is almost perfect (There are a few things that weren't really covered or described, and it was a bit out of date), but other than that, I'd really really like help if at all possible.