I dont want to play Oxygen not included anymore

I was super happy with ONI, played 16 hours a day. I was really happy with starting over, I had my hydrogen managed but I am always struggling when hydrogen is stacking, you need a coal energy thing and you're running out of water at the same time. Each game always ends up at this struggle.

Now I got my Hydrogen managed with 2 hydrogen generators hooked to 2 pumps in top level and another hooked to the general venting pipes.
I got three algea making machines, but i always lack slime so i always lack algea and i never have time to farm it, because:

My water is running out and i need to find a source of contaminated water to cleanse.
Meanwhile my hydrogen is just stacking and clearing too little, i still have no slime or algea cause im busy building plumbing for contaminated water and slowly my sand is depleting and I still havent figured a way to boil water and please dont spoil this to me....
On top of that, I cant get anything done with my 12 dupes cause 4 are always on the massage table being too stressed and the pothers are generating energy or cooking cause food is running out.

I find it very displeasing to go back at my game. Its too difficult.
Suggestions:

1 First Id like to remark: wasnt the batteries charging a lot quicker at the start of the alpha ? Cause I really enjoyed that, my dupes are spending jsut way too much time on the generators.

2 Cant hydrogen stack a little bit slower cause its jsut going up way too fast.

3 Stress shouldnt go up this fast, I have dupes drab decor when decor is 55 and their expectation is 50. WHY are they Drab decor!! (i know this isnt proper english)

4 I dont like sand being the only filtration medium, its already hard to find contaminated water and get it to the right places. Boiling water seems fun but I am just not there yet. Why dont you give us a useful machine which creates sand?

5 Water for medicine isnt a very good trade, that apothecary hasnt been of any use to me yet.

6 those algea makes, the ones which use slime, bio distillers, thats it! They should make more algea and faster, and expend more contaminated water. So far is find them very lacking.

7 Why would you ever wire a mechanical pressure door? It works fine and better without electricity

8 I would like to go back at my colony if they were doing a bit better, but theres always something going wrong. I am getting too much stress because the dupes are very stressed,. Its a fun game, but I grew tired of it too easily. And I dont think that amount of challenge will be good for the design of the game. The flow is lacking flow, its only frustration and very little accomplishing feeling if you know csikszentmihalyi-wise.
Before I jsut felt I did something completly wrong and I could do it right the next game, but this game I did it well enough and its still going badly.
Im on cycle 106 or something atm.Got loads of sand left, but lots of stress, too little oxygen generation, too little food,  too little water refinements and zero algea supper with 3 machines running. 

It sounds to me that your colony has more dupes than you can handle. Try getting a colony up and running with only 4 to 6 dupes. The game will play out more slowly and it is easier to react to emergencies like low food / resources because you have fewer dupes consuming them.

Well... Remember that this is in fact alpha version. It means that unless you want to do a lot pro publico bono testing, then you shouldn't buy it at all. :)

Second of all you need to remember that in this game the goal is to die but as far in time as possible. :)

I can admit, that algea-from-slime generators are really slow working things. But it might be just out of balance part of the alpha. As could be drab decor thing. Or anything else you say here. Maybe wait for a while, till devs would release beta and try then. And if then it still won't work for you, then wait for release. Until this time I wouldn't judge anything if I were you. :)

Cheers and many survived cycles!

Agree with chromiumboy, its incredibly difficult to deal with 12 dupes,  food shouldn't be a problem if you plant 2.5 mealwood per dupe, you won't even have to cook, however is a good idea to make some lice loaf.

The first  40-60 cycles is easy to collect clean water and algae, but then things starts to get dificult because you will run too fast of those resources and your 12 dupes will consume oxygen and produce Co2 and toxic oxygen faster that you can deal with it. Try to pick some dupes that are good in a very specific job, for example its better to have 1 dupe with lv 8 learning rather than 8 dupes with lv1 learn (dig, construction, strengh are good in any ocasion though) otherwise reject them. Also is not a bad idea to kill some of your dupes with +150 decor expectation and get new ones cos they get stressed rly fast.

you are forced to use duplicates for specific rolles so you end up very few duplicates that will actually help you progress

for example 1 -2 chef  2-3 power generator and so on+ you will expand explore and you waist so much time running from your base to any point you want to go also if your map dident generate enough water or algie nearby you are 100% doomed

even when you use few duplicates like 4-5 you still have to put them in specific rolles and your progress will be so slow.

9 hours ago, bonebreakerr said:

you are forced to use duplicates for specific rolles so you end up very few duplicates that will actually help you progress

for example 1 -2 chef  2-3 power generator and so on+ you will expand explore and you waist so much time running from your base to any point you want to go also if your map dident generate enough water or algie nearby you are 100% doomed

even when you use few duplicates like 4-5 you still have to put them in specific rolles and your progress will be so slow.

You can have a lot of dupes. the only thing you need is good scaling. I have 13, never had a problem. very few alguaes.
The ONE problem is with low tier stuff. It uses too much matter for nothing.

• Get rid of the alguae CO2 recycler as fast as you can, save your water! use CO2 filter. Doesn't use water as he outputs as much water as he uses.
  • Don't use manual labor power. Use enclosed coal generators and Hydrogen generators
  • Don't depend on alguae for oxygen. it is a strong reliable back up. Use oxydizer instead.
  • The map is finite. You will end up wit no ressources in the end. Good luck.

Hey guys? Need a bit of help managing a maximum dupes colony?

I'm personnaly cycle 72 and managing 23 dupes at the same time...

Some tricks and advices here :

- Prefer Vomiter guys and no Destructive guys...use MESH tile so the vomit go down and they are not bothered any more by walking on it...as it arrives down the base...VOMIT = infinity water! It's even good to have stressed votimers as they continually produce contaminated water you can purify...Make your base with an under part in shape of a cone, so you can collect down there all the vomit ;)

- Prefer COAL generation for power...and build like 10 big batteries! don't waste your excedent energy.

I agree it s hard to manage a good base at the begining...but right now...i don't see yet how to loose my present game...and on the opposite to you, I would even be happy if the game was a bit harder with more problems to solve...or random agressions...or whatever Klei can invent ^^

If there any NDA on oxygen not included? otherwise i could share my base PLAN as an attached file so you can understand how to deal with an optimised base :)

i kinda wanna figure it all out by myself

On 3/3/2017 at 1:19 AM, Taharqa said:

If there any NDA on oxygen not included? otherwise i could share my base PLAN as an attached file so you can understand how to deal with an optimised base :)

I kinda wanna figure stuff out by myself. its more that I thought i had everything going well and knew how to build succesfully but it didnt work out as intended. It just felt like a lost cause.

And ofcourse i know its alpha, but any feedback is feedback. If klei creates a game which ppl leave after a week then its better they can change some stuff right? 

6 dupes seems really slow but i guess i can give that a go. I had that before but somehow it didnt work for me.
Also that portal with new duplicate is superannoying, it gives me a feeling im missing a hint, that I SHOULD take more dupes.

I do always pick dupes with a high skill in something but that seems flawed too.
Cooking - I used to  get one chef at least with high cooking, but everyone says plants are better, you only need harvest for that. So why would i pick someone with high cooking?

Tinkering - i dont see the pontn in getting one with high tinkering, cause thats one of the few skills which actually levels.

Athlectics- i get one dupe with high athletics and use it as a runner.

Construction - I usually start with one dupe with high construction/digging/strength, especially in start construction seems the best choice

Strenght - Theres no other way to get your strenght skill up is there? Maybe combat? It hasnt happened to my dupes, so getting a dupe with str seems very worthwhile. Its jsut a waste of time to have them running up and down.

Digging - one dupe with high dig, pref more

Creativity- i only have one dupe with high creative and thats the only artist in the group to make masterpieces.

Learning - Id like one dupe to have high learning at the start, but i dont find it that important. By cycle 80 with 12 dupes youre all researched. I guess with 6 it will be a bit of a difference...Usually my most recent researched projects , i dont have time to build those, im always a bit behind with those  with 12 dupes.

Archived