What kind of race were the ancient civilization?

atrium_statuefullnight.thumb.gif.a2f568catrium_statuefull.thumb.gif.ce14cf18712elatest?cb=20130827135329latest?cb=20130827134021latest?cb=20130827133807

A subjective thread

I'm going to post some quotes so far of the new update from Together but this applies to the earlier game as well.

19 hours ago, Zeklo said:

(Wilson)

ATRIUM_RUBBLE = 
        {
            LINE_1 = "It depicts an old civilization. The people look hungry and scared.",
            LINE_2 = "This tablet is too worn to make out.",
            LINE_3 = "Something dark creeps over the city and its people.",
            LINE_4 = "The people are shedding their skins. They look different underneath.",
            LINE_5 = "It shows a massive, technologically advanced city.",
        },

(Maxwell)

ATRIUM_RUBBLE = 
        {
            LINE_1 = "A picture of the city, before the fuel.",
            LINE_2 = "We all know what happens next.",
            LINE_3 = "They gained such an enviable power...",

18 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Actually. I don't think they were normal people. Here's Webber's:

ATRIUM_RUBBLE = 
        {
            LINE_1 = "It's a picture of some bug people.",
            LINE_2 = "This picture's all messed up.",
            LINE_3 = "There's a lot of black goop in this picture.",
            LINE_4 = "A picture of bug people escaping their bug outsides!",
            LINE_5 = "A picture of a city. It looks like a nice place to live.",
        },

So despite the characters saying "bugs", they could be other forms of Arachnid or Crustacean.

I'd say cockroach or crab(which would bring a connection to the crabbits in Shipwrecked/possible reference to South Park's Crab people) but I want to hear your guys theories.

44 minutes ago, minespatch said:

44 minutes ago, minespatch said:

LINE_4 = "The people are shedding their skins. They look different underneath.",

There's definetely a story here:

The bug people were weak, hungry and scared, until they got the power of the shadow fuel, as Maxwell so nicely pointed out for us.

This made them big, strong and advanced, as you can see in Wilsons 5th line. Although line 4 is definetely a metaphor that this caused them to change, and maybe not for the greater good...

I say that this is your typical Adam and Eve/Icarus situation here; They were tempted by the power of the shadow fuel and got the power of possibly forbidden knowledge and/or magic. This, however, caused their downfall later on, as we can only see the ruins of the ever-so-great-empire now.

It is definetely also clear that Maxwell knows about them, but I don't think he was the one who caused it. (Especially because this happened way before he came into the DS world... Presumably)

Anyhow, that just my view on the whole thing, and I'm am like super tired, so I'm just rambling at this point.

2H3cOko.png

Big mouth on this one.

So they seem to naturally have spines, and during a nightmare phase they've been elongated.

Mouths open up, with supposed fuel dripping out.

The one in the Atrium looks like it's desperately trying to preserve some of it in its hands, holding it away from the ground when it has it and staring intently at the empty hands when it doesn't.

It's also substantially darker than the others, furthering the conclusion that it wants the fuel whereas the others appear to be suffering moreso.

The non-pickle looking ones have a carapace and the Atrium one with exoskeletal legs seemingly jutting out from its spine.

Perhaps something is attempting to get into the world through these vessels by the means of pushing their many legs on the virtual 'inside' of the people while trying to leave via the mouth area, or the mere act of trying to take over the vessel's body spills forth fuel.

As for what they are, I would have to imagine that they're a combo of two things like most things in DS.

..Or in transition of becoming two things.

The Ancient Civilization were a race of proud, magically and technologically adept beings that destroyed themselves by overuse of Nightmare Lights, causing the periods of magical flux and possibly unleashing Shadow Creatures which helped in bringing its ruin.

It was this civilization that produced the Clockwork Monsters, which can be found swarming the military biome, suggesting they used them as mechanical soldiers. Maxwell found them and adapted them for his own use. It seems that they were also religious as the Ancient Pseudoscience Station is referred to by Maxwell as a place at which they may have worshiped. Some of the magical items prototyped from the station show that they were very skilled in the use of magic, as they used staves capable of such abilities as summoning miniature-stars, and short ranged teleportation, as well as creating armor capable of producing short lived force fields. The ancients also appear to have amassed a large wealth of the now rare material, Thulecite, as many of their artifacts have either been constructed entirely of it, adorned with it, or contain trace amounts of the material.

The ancients also seems to have a powerful Military, as their remnants are littered with Clockwork remains. The ancients were also protected by a powerful guardian, but even its great strength helped little against the shadow creatures, and it was transformed into the beast that can be found in the deep labyrinths of the ruins. After the once great race had ended, all that remains is their technology, Relics, and the aftermath of their nightmare abuse, the Nightmare Cycle.

I wonder where the antlion theology and the insect anatomy apply to these people. My apophenia can only connect the insect theme but maybe there's more to antlion than we realize. Like Mr. Skits's feelers being like that on the statues and the antlions own feelers/limbs?

RzV1Teq.png

The resemblance here is uncanny. I think that was intended.

What I didn't notice before due to focusing solely on the new stuff, is the matter on the thulecite. Further more, I didn't notice the matter on the new statue.

The colors are similar but not quite the same. You can see the color shift as it comes closer to the ground, and appears to start melting.

The ancients must have used electrical power in some form, as their Relics can drop Frazzled Wires when destroyed.
The ancients have a few similarities to the Dwemer from The Elder Scrolls series, due to the fact they had their own types of stone or metal used, were technologically advanced and left only their work.
While little can be confirmed about their appearance, the appearance of the Mage Statue reveals that the ancients may have been arthropodic in structure, with a slightly knobbly shell on their backs resembling that of a pill bug. It may be important to note that in the Nightmare Cycle, spikes can be seen extended on both the Head and Mage Statues, showing that they may have been able to extend spikes from their bodies maybe if angered or in self-defense.

I'll be honest, I'm still trying to kind of take all this new information in from this new update but here's my 2 bits of gold on the matter.

Here's what I can understand from the information shown:

This ancient civilization has probably been here for a very long time now, long before William/Maxwell came onto the scene. They seem to be a form of anthropomorphic creature that resembles insects with a touch of human. They seemed to be skilled in creating technology and found how to use nightmare fuel which seemed to ultimately lead to their demise based off what we've heard from Wilson and Maxwell.

Seems to me nightmare fuel, when used in a certain way or probably abused, it can cause some horrible side effects from mutations to possible sickness. (I'm just guessing here based off the visuals.) For all we know, these people might've looked more human at some point and the world changed them in combination with the nightmare fuel. After all, this other world seems to run by its own rules of logic and magic.

Over all, I'm still not 100% sure what to make of these creatures other than they definitely do add another layer to this growing world. We've been given a lot of info, but they're still shrouded in mystery.

So yeah, that's my two bits of gold on the matter. Sorry if that didn't make much sense. Like I said, still processing everything.

Just gonna get everyone's quotes of the rubble for easier reference. It's pretty much the same thing for everyone (except Maxwell who seems to be talking to Them or Charlie) but if anyone is curious, here ya go:

Wilson

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {

Willow

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "It's got a picture of some gross looking people.",
            LINE_2 = "Can't tell what that was a picture of.",
            LINE_3 = "I think someone spilled ink on this picture.",
            LINE_4 = "Oh, gross! The people're losing their skin in this one!",
            LINE_5 = "It's just a picture of a city.",

Wolfgang

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "Is picture of many sad, weak people.",
            LINE_2 = "Cannot tell what was picture of.",
            LINE_3 = "In picture darkness covers sad, weak people.",
            LINE_4 = "Monsters is bursting out of them!",
            LINE_5 = "Is picture of very pretty place.",

Wendy

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "A people struck by famine and sorrow.",
            LINE_2 = "A piece of their story, lost to time.",
            LINE_3 = "They are consumed by darkness.",
            LINE_4 = "Then, rebirth.",
            LINE_5 = "Finally, a city, full of life.",

WX-78

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "IT DEPICTS INFERIOR CREATURES",
            LINE_2 = "TARGET DATA LOST",
            LINE_3 = "THE CREATURES ARE SUBMERGED IN BEAUTIFUL OIL",
            LINE_4 = "THE CREATURES UPGRADE THEIR BODY PANELS",
            LINE_5 = "IT SHOWS A CITY MADE OF SHINING METAL",

Wickerbottom

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "An ancient mural of a non-mammalian civilization.",
            LINE_2 = "This mural panel is too eroded to decipher.",
            LINE_3 = "A dark shadow, or perhaps a substance, overtakes the civilization.",
            LINE_4 = "The citizens molt from their exoskeletons in this panel.",
            LINE_5 = "The city appears exponentially more prosperous.",

Woodie

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "It's an old drawing of strange creatures.",
            LINE_2 = "Nothin' of interest left here.",
            LINE_3 = "Black muck is covering everything in this drawing.",
            LINE_4 = "Don't look at this one, Lucy.",
            LINE_5 = "Looks like a bustling city.",

Wes

Spoiler

Maxwell

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_4 = "I know why you led me back here.",
            LINE_5 = "But it won't work.",

Webber

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "It's a picture of some bug people.",
            LINE_2 = "This picture's all messed up.",
            LINE_3 = "There's a lot of black goop in this picture.",
            LINE_4 = "A picture of bug people escaping their bug outsides!",
            LINE_5 = "A picture of a city. It looks like a nice place to live.",

Wigfrid

Spoiler

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "Tis a portrait of an ancient people. They live in wretchedness.",
            LINE_2 = "There is no painting here. Only stone.",
            LINE_3 = "A great evil sweeps across the land.",
            LINE_4 = "Many of the people are cleaved in two!",
            LINE_5 = "A glittering city, blessed by the gods.",

Before I always thought that these ancient people are Maxwell created creatures, they learned the magic of the shadow but did not fear Maxwell and shadow and thus destroyed

But now it seems that they seem to be in the face of the disaster when the choice and shadow symbiotic, then they began to evolve their own civilization, but excessive use of Nightmare Fuel led to the destruction of their shadow

As for those monkeys, perhaps klei borrowed from "At the Mountains of Madness", the ancient civilization of this novel to apes as food and entertainment animals

8 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Just gonna get everyone's quotes of the rubble for easier reference. It's pretty much the same thing for everyone (except Maxwell who seems to be talking to Them or Charlie) but if anyone is curious, here ya go:

Wilson

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {

Willow

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "It's got a picture of some gross looking people.",
            LINE_2 = "Can't tell what that was a picture of.",
            LINE_3 = "I think someone spilled ink on this picture.",
            LINE_4 = "Oh, gross! The people're losing their skin in this one!",
            LINE_5 = "It's just a picture of a city.",

Wolfgang

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "Is picture of many sad, weak people.",
            LINE_2 = "Cannot tell what was picture of.",
            LINE_3 = "In picture darkness covers sad, weak people.",
            LINE_4 = "Monsters is bursting out of them!",
            LINE_5 = "Is picture of very pretty place.",

Wendy

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "A people struck by famine and sorrow.",
            LINE_2 = "A piece of their story, lost to time.",
            LINE_3 = "They are consumed by darkness.",
            LINE_4 = "Then, rebirth.",
            LINE_5 = "Finally, a city, full of life.",

WX-78

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "IT DEPICTS INFERIOR CREATURES",
            LINE_2 = "TARGET DATA LOST",
            LINE_3 = "THE CREATURES ARE SUBMERGED IN BEAUTIFUL OIL",
            LINE_4 = "THE CREATURES UPGRADE THEIR BODY PANELS",
            LINE_5 = "IT SHOWS A CITY MADE OF SHINING METAL",

Wickerbottom

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "An ancient mural of a non-mammalian civilization.",
            LINE_2 = "This mural panel is too eroded to decipher.",
            LINE_3 = "A dark shadow, or perhaps a substance, overtakes the civilization.",
            LINE_4 = "The citizens molt from their exoskeletons in this panel.",
            LINE_5 = "The city appears exponentially more prosperous.",

Woodie

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_1 = "It's an old drawing of strange creatures.",
            LINE_2 = "Nothin' of interest left here.",
            LINE_3 = "Black muck is covering everything in this drawing.",
            LINE_4 = "Don't look at this one, Lucy.",
            LINE_5 = "Looks like a bustling city.",

Wes

Reveal hidden contents

Maxwell

Reveal hidden contents

ATRIUM_RUBBLE =
        {
            LINE_4 = "I know why you led me back here.",
            LINE_5 = "But it won't work.",

You forgot Webber and Wathgrithr. I'd like to supply them, but I'm not at my pc at the moment.

On 02/25/2017 at 3:49 AM, Zeklo said:

RzV1Teq.png

The resemblance here is uncanny. I think that was intended

This looks like some sort of Ancient PSA: "Nightmare Fuel - not even once!"

Seriously though, I'm more concerned about one of the major differences between the statues - the head, or rather the lack thereof on the second statue.

Did the mutations, caused by fuel, make the Ancients' heads squish into their bodies? Or does the second statue depict a creature mid-transformation, and the head just simply popped off? Or did the Ancients always have the heads like that, and what we see on the first statue is a ceremonial mask or something?

3 hours ago, Zhuzha said:

Did the mutations, caused by fuel, make the Ancients' heads squish into their bodies? Or does the second statue depict a creature mid-transformation, and the head just simply popped off? Or did the Ancients always have the heads like that, and what we see on the first statue is a ceremonial mask or something?

I think there's different versions of the race. Like that head thing.

Archived