Creating/Using Translation Files [Updated August 22nd, 2017]

So, my wishlist wrt localization after the occupational upgrade :

* String Freeze period

This gives time to translators to make sure the l10n is ready when the update goes live (and makes our users happy).

* Be Careful with local references

One of the last hotfix added this string: "Under thirty minutes or it's free".
The joke may be obvious in countries where Domino's pizza is popular, it's far from being the case everywhere.

* i18np !

While any l10n application handles plural forms, the game doesn't

* More Accurate contexts

Using XXX.NAME in msgctx doesn't really give a clue where the localized string shall be a noun,an infinitive form or something else
(mostly because in english, all look the same in most cases)

Example:

msgctxt "STRINGS.UI.SCHEDULEBLOCKTYPES.WORK.NAME"
msgid "Work"

as NAME is misused, I have 3 options:
- Travaille (~ he's working)
- Travailler (to work)
- Travail (some work)

another example is the building word, it could be...a building, an equipment (that's why we used équipement almost everywhere in the FR l10n), a verb (the duplicant is building...). a construction...and a couple other things.

* Seed name generator

I've already detailed the issue in a bug report here:

* A way to reload translations

Currently, the reload mod action in debug mod doesn't seem to do anything wrt l10n mods.
A way to reload translations would be really helpful

* More space in the UI

The build buttons are too close in the bottom left part. This is now also noticeable without translations.
Please give us more space there and also :

- on the clickable buttons on the information window.
- on the action buttons
- on the dropdown menu from the job overlay

Finding tricks to shorten strings is not always possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/09/2018 at 7:05 AM, Ozcuraz said:

Does anyone know where the word "Base {0}" is used?

It is located at #. STRINGS.UI.BASECOUNT in strings_template.pot file but I have no luck guessing where should it be in game. 

I tried looking around but couldn't find this string. I then looked at my translation history, looks like this string was already there in 2017.

@KrisRF  is this string a leftover?

• Developer

@krop @Ozcuraz Hi friends - I was unable to find the string ingame and suspect it was depreciated after the changes to the Stress/Morale system. However if you still have need of a translation for it, the string exists along with several attribute strings that are used on character containers in the crew selection screen, and was mostly likely used to describe a default value before being modified by stats or traits. ("Base" in this context meaning "default" as opposed to a synonym for colony)

Thanks

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, _GODDO_Kido said:

This is quite an old thread, but does anyone happen to have the strings_template.pot file for Don't Starve? I can't find it in the folders...

@_GODDO_Kido  Wrong thread, you're on the Oxygen Not Included forum :)

I had a look at my don't starve files, there are strings.pot files in data/scripts/languages and data/DLC0002/scripts/languages

On 11/17/2017 at 2:32 PM, BlinkerBoy said:

i was thinking to add my language (bengali). at the moment the game doesn't support bengali, and only shows squares instead of letters. not much people may use this language anyway. but let me know if you are going to add support for BENGALI. I will be happy to see my language.

I am very disappointed that KLEI could not make enough time to add bengali letter in game. It since a year. no reply also.

I am not sure whether to translate "Atmo Suit" and "Exosuit" as the same thing or not.

Can someone help me clarify the difference between the word "Atmo Suit" and "Exosuit" in the game? Are they the same, just the nickname? Or, is Exosuit a general term for all kind of suit? It is very confusing when seeing an Exosuit Dock need an Atmo Suit but Exosuit Forger can produce both Atmo Suit and Jet Suit.

1 hour ago, Ozcuraz said:

I am not sure whether to translate "Atmo Suit" and "Exosuit" as the same thing or not.

Can someone help me clarify the difference between the word "Atmo Suit" and "Exosuit" in the game? Are they the same, just the nickname? Or, is Exosuit a general term for all kind of suit? It is very confusing when seeing an Exosuit Dock need an Atmo Suit but Exosuit Forger can produce both Atmo Suit and Jet Suit.

Exosuit is the term which covers what is now two kind of exoskeleton-suits, Atmo and Jet Suits. Jet Suits are not Atmo Suits. You can not load a Jetsuit into a Command Capsule after all. However Exosuit Checkpoint and Dock have yet to be renamed to Atmosuit Checkpoint and Dock. The penalty for Duplicants should also be renamed to from Atmosuit -6 to Exosuit -6 since it also applies to Jet Suits.

Might as well suggest it in another thread or bug report to be fixed later~.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, @Cheerio ,

I am writing to talk about support of the CJK Ideographs, we know that we have the fonts of 3 language includes Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean, but Traditional Chinese is missing. 

A most of translators from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and who using Traditional Chinese, we got a problem that some character is not available in NotoSansCJKsc-Regular and NotoSansCJKjp-Regular when we translate to our native language.

I hope that we can import NotoSansCJKhk-Regular and NotoSansCJKtc-Regular to got the fully CJK Ideographs to support that we can do the translation of Cantonese and Mandarin in Traditional Chinese.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Apophis Lee
A fan from Hong Kong

Edited by ApophisLee

How about letting us create and override default font asset in Steam Workshop? It will promote another level of localization and support most languages. Font license should be enforced to an owner of workshop item. So, Klei do not have to worry about font license.

On 23/02/2017 at 8:01 PM, Cheerio said:

***note: you can also choose a font directly by specifying the name of the font in the po file "Font: font_name". The list of fonts currently available are:

Chinese: NotoSansCJKsc-Regular
Japanese: NotoSansCJKjp-Regular
Korean; NotoSansCJKkr-Regular,
Russian: RobotoCondensed-Regular
Thai: NotoSansThai-Regular

@Cheerio  Will we be allowed to change the font in the future? These restrictions are a problem for certain languages, e.g:

I'm also seeing a font issue with the french mod, it's different than the one used when no localization mod is loaded.

On 23/02/2017 at 4:01 PM, Cheerio said:

Once you're done translating. You can upload the translation to the Steam Workshop using the Oni Uploader. You can find the uploader in your Steam Library by switching your library to Tools and then launching the Oxygen Not Included Uploader.

*note: you will need to not translate any words inside {} or <> brackets as those are specifically used by the game.

Press <color=#F44A47><b>[ENTER]</b></color> to resume use

So i dont translate the "color" because have <> and what about Enter have [ ]?

Edited by Saulo Coelho

1 hour ago, Saulo Coelho said:

Press <color=#F44A47><b>[ENTER]</b></color> to resume use

So i dont translate the "color" because have <> and what about Enter have [ ]?

Word between "[" and "]" is not prohibited for translation. You can either translate or keep the original one at your discretion.

• Thanks 1