Sandless Approach? - theory crafting

After a couple of cool base layouts I saw in the 'show your colony' thread it got me to thinking about how to get around the filtration issue with sand late game (as you run out of it). Following ShaTik's thread

... it got me thinking about a process to harness contaminated O2 as it is so abundant. The following is an idea which I'm not sure I can execute but will try with the base I have atm. Wanted to put these ideas out there to see if parts of elements won't work from your experience so that I have a sense of road blocks along the way.

1) Contaminated O2 => Contaminated H2O via a 'cooling' room. This room would have to be near Abysalite to accomplish. A water pump would need to be set up connected to my contaminated H2O room in my base. (I assume contaminated H20 is going to be the byproduct of this condensation)

2) Contaminated H20 => Clean H20 via a 'hot' room. This hot room would need to be near magma and have evaporation occur in a gas tile enclosed room to capture the cooling gas at rises. Connect the cleaned H20 back to the clean H20 room in my base

3) Connect the Contaminated H20 room in the base with the 'hot' room to process this H20 without the use of sand.

Job done?

O2 can't be turned into H2O, not in the game nor in real life(aside from using nuclear fission to break some oxygen atoms down to hydrogen and then combining that with oxygen). So that's the first problem, the second is abysalite doesn't conduct any heat(won't heat up ever), meaning it's useless for anything other than thermal isolation.

However that's not to say the idea is flawed, you just need to use one of the other sources of contaminated water. Like say the waste products of the biodistiller and puking duplicates.

Other than that I'd say you are good to go.

5 hours ago, Elviraa said:

After a couple of cool base layouts I saw in the 'show your colony' thread it got me to thinking about how to get around the filtration issue with sand late game (as you run out of it). Following ShaTik's thread

... it got me thinking about a process to harness contaminated O2 as it is so abundant. The following is an idea which I'm not sure I can execute but will try with the base I have atm. Wanted to put these ideas out there to see if parts of elements won't work from your experience so that I have a sense of road blocks along the way.

1) Contaminated O2 => Contaminated H2O via a 'cooling' room. This room would have to be near Abysalite to accomplish. A water pump would need to be set up connected to my contaminated H2O room in my base. (I assume contaminated H20 is going to be the byproduct of this condensation)

2) Contaminated H20 => Clean H20 via a 'hot' room. This hot room would need to be near magma and have evaporation occur in a gas tile enclosed room to capture the cooling gas at rises. Connect the cleaned H20 back to the clean H20 room in my base

3) Connect the Contaminated H20 room in the base with the 'hot' room to process this H20 without the use of sand.

Job done?

To be honest, I feel having a reaction between H and O2 creating water 'should be' allowed. Considering the simple excitation of water molecules via electrolysis is what causes them to split. If hydrogen and oxygen were both in a "cool" room, they should recombine back into water. But, for that, they need to allow chemical processes to occur in the first place.

If you want, you can reverse the process instead by making an artificial distillery. You can heat up contaminated water and evaporate then on on top of some gas permeable tiles. Doing so will condense the water into non-contaminated water.

-

PS: There IS a source of renewable water in the game. And it's created when your dupes throw up. Vat of vomit at the bottom of your base with total 100% stress on your dupes who all throw up.. just happens to be the only water to generate water in larger quantities (biodistillery doesn't really make much). Funny how many kg of vomit a single dupe can have.

The hydrogen generator should be the tool to turn hydrogen into water by oxidation.

Imho it should be expressed as humidity/steam/fog depending on atmospheric parameters.

I really hope they implement that because it is impossible to burn hydrogene without creating water in the process (and consuming very important breathable air)

Archived