Add in game ACHIEVEMENTS

On 2/18/2017 at 2:29 PM, freakster3 said:

Don`t Starve needs achievements, we need a greater impetus for the deepening of the game!

There is achievements, just get an xbox or playstation and you can get don't starve achievements. 

So I was searching info about this and now I know they didn't want to add achievements because we were going to get them all and then stop playing, but then I found this comment, it makes a lot of sense to me, read it please.

That article doesn't make sense. He's argued "once they reached the goal, if we didn’t write another goal, they would stop playing." Yet, they put in an XP LEVEL UP SYSTEM, with UNLOCKABLE CHARACTERS?! That defeated the entire POINT of his argument. I completely understand where he's coming from with Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic achievements. Nothing good comes out of Extinsic achievements (especially really hard farfetched ones that you have to go out of your way to get). But nothing is wrong with adding steam achievements in the game for things that are ALREADY goals in the game. Achievement for unlocking Willow, or Wendy, or Wes? Reaching level 5? That doesn't seem that extrinsic of a goal to me. 

I really hope the developers rethink their stance on this.

Being honest, he is right, I stopped playing DS after unlocking everyone, and then I moved on to DST.... can the devs reconsider this??

*ALSO, sorry for this necro

13 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

They were forced to make achievements for consoles against their will, so they didn't really try and made some really generic and some really stupid ones.

Somehow, they still added in game achievements on PC, what about the unlocking of characters with the XP system?

• Developer
2 hours ago, Hirridok said:

Somehow, they still added in game achievements on PC, what about the unlocking of characters with the XP system?

I never thought of those really as achievements, as you didn't have to survive a set of nights. As long as you survived a second, you already got an XP point. It was more of a way to keep you curious as to what more the game had to offer.

Think about it. Man vs. (strange) Nature, is that not what is it all about ? I mean, achievements would absolutely not make sense for a game like this. You say so you'll bring more hype to the game but... were you not super hyped the first time you killed a fricking deerclop ? Managed to go down in the caves and come back again with little health ? Discovered a pig village ? All these are just examples of personal achievements that makes you feel better as you play the game, the more you play , the more you find !!! Could there be a better reward ?

On 4/28/2017 at 5:07 AM, Hirridok said:

I could of sworn I already replied to this (wait is this a different thread?) as @ImDaMisterL pointed out The XP sestem didn't really mean anything. I could just keep chucking dead bodies at the screen and I would eventually get most characters, With the expection, of Maxwell and Wes, And Woodlegs,Wlibur,and Webber being Fetch me quests. Maxwell Wes and Woodlegs are the only characters I would count as being actual achievements in getting.

This is also not the game for it as when they were added for the PS4 they are very simple and genric achivemts and besides from maybe two your bound to complete them anyway without even trying so what is the point. This game works much better as setting your own personal achivements. plus the trophy rant from an ealier thread has left a sour taste in my mouth.

The only thing I could want is maybe the shine trophy thing because I just really like the look of that item.

Archived