[HOWTO] Enabling debug-commands

53 minutes ago, Hotbread100 said:

im trying to understand the debug controls but i have no idea how i would spawn or place oxygen and or algae can anyone help me?

When you enter the debug mode (pressing backspace after enabling debug), the cell painter window will appear in the upper right corner. Just select the element (algae or oxygen or whatever), click the Paint button and use the mouse cursor to paint blocks or individual tiles with the element. You can set the amount or temperature with the tool as well.

12 hours ago, Kasuha said:

When you enter the debug mode (pressing backspace after enabling debug), the cell painter window will appear in the upper right corner. Just select the element (algae or oxygen or whatever), click the Paint button and use the mouse cursor to paint blocks or individual tiles with the element. You can set the amount or temperature with the tool as well.

i already tried to do that nothing was working unless you can't be paused to use it

Just now, Moggles said:

Some commands do require the game to be playing before they execute.

is that one of them? i'll try it out but i'm on cycle 26 and things are finally starting to go south and its my first game play!

The backspace key opens up the cell painter for me, the first time you do it, it takes about 15 seconds to activate, then you can see the whole world and paint cells to what ever ya like.   That and the ALT F4 (instant build) key are really the only ones I  use in debug mode.  Ok, maybe the ALT F2 key to rescue a dup from death as well.

anyone know how to put mobs in? I figured out how to paint minerals and gasses and stuff but I need to spawn some seeds

Edit: crap actually how might I respawn the printing pod I deleted it by accident

Does anyone know where to place the file for the Mac version, or are they even available in that version? My best guess is either "OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Data", or "OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed".

So far I've littered the contents of my OxygenNotIncluded.app with "debug_enable" and "debug_enable.txt" files in just about every directory, but nothing's getting them enabled.

41 minutes ago, careo said:

Does anyone know where to place the file for the Mac version, or are they even available in that version? My best guess is either "OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Data", or "OxygenNotIncluded.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed".

So far I've littered the contents of my OxygenNotIncluded.app with "debug_enable" and "debug_enable.txt" files in just about every directory, but nothing's getting them enabled.

That is very weird, it's literally just a File.Exists check - nothing fancy!

1 minute ago, Moonkis said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up looking somewhere that's either truly bizarre or is just simply impossible. Unity can be really... interesting... with paths across platforms.

On 26/08/2017 at 2:07 AM, Moonkis said:

I tried on both Windows and Mac, put the blank file "debug_enable.txt" next to "resources.assets" and it works on Windows with Backspace.

However on Mac, there is no Backspace key. Both delete and Fn+delete do not work.

Will the game change to accept delete key on Mac ?

1 hour ago, Galaxy001 said:

I tried on both Windows and Mac, put the blank file "debug_enable.txt" next to "resources.assets" and it works on Windows with Backspace.

However on Mac, there is no Backspace key. Both delete and Fn+delete do not work.

Will the game change to accept delete key on Mac ?

If you did it right you can open the controls screen to see/change the shortcuts for debug mode.

On 12/09/2017 at 10:40 PM, AlexRou said:

If you did it right you can open the controls screen to see/change the shortcuts for debug mode.

I can see the "Debug" tab for shortcut settings. However, whatever I set the key, it just not work in game.

I tried with '\' and 'Shift+\'. And the Mac delete key is identified Backspace key there.

So, there might be a bug that the Mac version cannot switch to debug mode.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:40 AM, AlexRou said:

Are you speaking from experience, having gotten it to work on the Mac? Has anyone ever gotten it working on a Mac?

I've tried it with both "debug_enable.txt" and "debug_enable" files in literally every directory inside OxygenNotIncluded.app. There is no other valid location on macOS where a naive File.Exists check in Unity could be looking. 

My keyboard has a "delete" key, but just to be super sure the game and I were in complete agreement about which key "delete" really was, I explicitly rebound it to that key through the in-game GUI.

25 minutes ago, careo said:

Are you speaking from experience, having gotten it to work on the Mac?

No but it is how the game acts on windows and people have confirmed that that is how the game acts on mac too.

25 minutes ago, careo said:

Has anyone ever gotten it working on a Mac?

Yes, many people.

See here for the mac location:

I got it to work on Steam!

What I did was have my file named "debug_enable.txt" (yes, WITH the .txt extention), and that's all I needed to do. I started with it being named "debug_enable" without any extention, but that didn't work.

In detail, everything I did was (only the last 4 steps should matter):

1. Closed ONI (after getting my dupes violently ill in a slime biome and giving up).
  2. Made a file called "debug_enable" in my game's "OxygenNotIncluded_Data" folder.
  3. Fired up ONI and tried the debug UI hotkeys, but no dice.
  4. Closed ONI.
  5. Went back to "debug_enable" file and added a ".txt" extention.
  6. Went back to ONI and tried backspace, and viola, the debug menu popped up and I saw the map's fog of war disappear/revealed the map, allowing me to see the Steam geysers I was desperately trying to find prior to my colony's demise.

Basically, try creating/renaming the file with the .txt extension and don't forget it has to be in the OxygenNotIncluded_Data folder (doesn't need to be anywhere else).

P.S. One of those geysers was on the other side of the slime biome I was trying to dig through at the left border of the map while the other was to the left just out of sight from one of my upwards ladders in a hot biome. It can get ugly as to how sneaky something so vital can get...

Archived