Have contaminated dirt contaminate existing oxygen instead of creating new contaminated oxygen

After seeing my dupes survive for 12 cycles by breathing in the outhouse/compost area without any oxygen production, it seems a bit silly to have so much oxygen produced by waste.

There were 13 dupes surviving off of 4 outhouses and a compost pile.

None died of lack of oxygen. Farms eventually gave out due to heat thus leading to starvation.

Along the same lines, many of the conversions in the game need changes to their ratios.  Almost all of them violate conservation of mass and/or energy.

As you point out, contaminated dirt should use up nearby oxygen to produce contaminated oxygen.  More of the structures need to generate contaminated dirt/water/air or something else useless (like the Deodorizer converting sand to clay) while they work.  Dupes using the outhouse/lavatory should produce waste equal to the dirt/water used now plus the mass of the food they've eaten recently.  Algae Terraria shouldn't be able to produce oxygen unless they're currently absorbing CO2.

Simply enforcing conservation of mass on every conversion would fix the issue you pointed out and let us strive for (if not quite achieve) a fully closed-loop life support system.

5 hours ago, HenryBlatbugIII said:

Along the same lines, many of the conversions in the game need changes to their ratios.  Almost all of them violate conservation of mass and/or energy.

As you point out, contaminated dirt should use up nearby oxygen to produce contaminated oxygen.  More of the structures need to generate contaminated dirt/water/air or something else useless (like the Deodorizer converting sand to clay) while they work.  Dupes using the outhouse/lavatory should produce waste equal to the dirt/water used now plus the mass of the food they've eaten recently.  Algae Terraria shouldn't be able to produce oxygen unless they're currently absorbing CO2.

Simply enforcing conservation of mass on every conversion would fix the issue you pointed out and let us strive for (if not quite achieve) a fully closed-loop life support system.

I like your way of thinking. I hope this will be updated as the game goes on. Luckily the game is still pre-alpha and there's a lot of room for improvement.

I agree. I was playing this all afternoon yesterday and I think the lack of conservation of mass with several processes is the only big hangup I have. Water really shouldn't leave a closed ecosystem, even if it's trapped in contaminated dirt and water.

Archived