Show Us Your Colony

On 17.2.2017 at 9:48 AM, jambell said:

Hey gang! Just wanted to stop by and say these are awesome!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122583319

In case you couldn't catch it, we showed off a handful of these bases on stream today. Check it out 13:00 into that VOD :) We showed off @AlucardEX, @JimmyJam, @Criptfeind, @Hexicube, @deadgag. We tried to do lemmethink's but we accidentally doubled up on Alucard's. We'll include it next time we do one of those!

Keep 'em coming! :D

Ohh wow I just now watched the Stream and saw that my base got featured.

Glad you seem to like it. To answer your question: One of my Dupes started out with a 7 in Art and wass immediately able to make these Master level art pieces so I kinda abused it a bit. :D

First Colony, still playing to understand the output and input of things. Stress and water weren't really killers for my first run the main thing that killed me was the carbon dioxide buildup which was building up in my water reservoirs, built pumps too late and suffered a few cycles but managed to recover the oxygen to CO2 ratio. However,at that point by cycle 25 everything went downhill due to not securing my bio distillers earlier to get more algae for my plants and all others task were held up for few days due to spending tons of time and resources building the water pumps to fuel the electrolyzers (I think that was the name?).

Was a very fun experience for my first 4 hours of playing the game. Probably hold off on min/max stuff first until I understand the basic mechanics. My research station keep getting unused maybe not prioritised properly and I think there is a buffer between researches maybe?

If you made it this far, Thank You for reading probably making another base in the near future.

20170218220328_1.jpg

20170218220331_1.jpg

2 hours ago, sp33dlink said:

My third colony:

Spoiler

oni.png

• Working pretty well
  • Electrolyzer makes a good chunk of oxygen and a good chunk of hydrogen for later power generation
  • Planned to replace all algea consuming machines :)

Update:

• Made hydrogen generator
  • Research complete -> disassembled all stations to cool the base down
  • Decorations *whooohoo*
  • Made air scrubber with outflow of contaminated hydrogen
  • Planned: Exploration, Maybe more Electrolyzers because of low air pressure?! where is my air gone?
  • Somehow there is hydrogen in my main base.. Is the generator leaking some hydrogen while processing it to energy?

oni2.png

My second colony. The dupes are not enjoying themselves. Didn't switch to another water source early enough, started running out. Didn't realise the Electrolyzer produced hydrogen and ended up with a lot of it building up in my stress reduction area. Tried to use it for power but underestimated the complexity of making that work - I thought I could just stick some Hydrogen Generators where I had the build up and it would work - how naive!  Didn't do well with managing gases in general, the prospect of setting up some complex ventilation scared me off. Alas, it seems that it will be necessary. In the end, I'm left with too much carbon dioxide, too little oxygen and too much stress. And too much stress vomiting.

1.jpg

2.jpg

9 hours ago, jjcm04 said:

still working with the first colony I made and I have only 2 deaths so far. I am sure once we run completely out of water we will die, since there isn't much water in the close proximity of the base. Also have researched everything so far while surviving 43-44 cycles

You CAN technically turn slime into water, but it is a process ... You gotta expand if you want to survive, and slime is your saviour

3 minutes ago, artemiyME said:

you have to expand, and look for more, I have 2 huge areas of slime (relatively) near my base

even if I do this I was running into heating issues with my base. Where my food production was. The temp was around 80 degrees F. I need to restart anyway and come up with my own efficient base set-up Thanks though!

My colony, I feel a bit evil inside. I only take dupes who vomit under stress, and use the vomit as a contaminated water source. I also eventually removed all my out houses so I would have another contaminated water source. I have build my base so that the contaminated water pools at the bottom, and most of my tiles are liquid permeable. Going to remove the shower as well, I built it before I decided on this strategy, as I found that I prefer the dupes under high stress. Need to get rid of the extra water pumps/electrical stuff because it is a bit redundant. This also allows me to take dupes with high decor ratings because I don't care if they are stressed. It also nullifies the importance of a lot of the tech tree.

20170219003409_1.jpg

My 8th? base. Took model from someone's water-handling method from here!

1111oni111.png

It was already had to maintain, but then all my crop overheated! Other vice eating straight from the ground (no cooking) worked excellently!

On cycle 71 all of them perished by starvation, as Pejing, the one guy who always breaks our stuff, ran his last steps. . .3333oni3333.png

Don't Starve. . .

There seems so be as many solutions to problems as there are people playing this game, I love it!

Here's my latest atempt,well most of it, probably my best as well. 20 Dupes, accepted everyone and nobody has died yet!

It does feel however that things are about to spiral out of control any minute. Lots of chlorine(woops), contaminated oxygen and Co2 in the base now. And I'm starting to have to deal with heat

ZN9p3RG.png

7 minutes ago, Tyreth said:

There seems so be as many solutions to problems as there are people playing this game, I love it!

Here's my latest atempt,well most of it, probably my best as well. 20 Dupes, accepted everyone and nobody has died yet!

It does feel however that things are about to spiral out of control any minute. Lots of chlorine(woops), contaminated oxygen and Co2 in the base now. And I'm starting to have to deal with heat

ZN9p3RG.png

I'm suprised you still have that much water considering the amount of algae aquariums. Did you spawn with a super lucky water world?

11 minutes ago, cptCalavera said:

I'm suprised you still have that much water considering the amount of algae aquariums. Did you spawn with a super lucky water world?

I have quite a lot of contaminated water around. If you look to the right in the pic you see some that is being pumped to my 4 water purifiers. That is enough to make a surplus actually.

13 minutes ago, cptCalavera said:

By looking on amount of water recyclers and contaminated water on sides it seems like it was the case.

Archived