Show Us Your Colony

On 5/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, Krillxen said:
So I recently got back into ONI and I noticed that the way my power system is set up is not very efficient but I am not sure how to make it better any advice?

20170511190338_1.jpg

Same tips I give everyone really :

1) use heavy watt wire for everything - it saves headaches later (unless you're just making a baby circuit somewhere).

2) note how much draw you have on your circuit every time you add a new machine. General rules - batteries dont count as draw, only active machines do. Any form of power generation doesn't count towards the max wattage of the circuit.

3) Battery banks on every circuit - make yourself a cooled/ventilated area for housing your batteries and have a number of them connected to each circuit - means you can last the nights (or those impatient priority 9 digging sessions!) without your base falling to pieces.

4) Intermittent machines, i.e. pumps at capacity which only pump occasionally will not break your wiring, only constant draw above the max wattage will break wires. 

This will all go out of the window in 4 days time with the Early Access update however, but for now I hope this helps :) 

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

1) use heavy watt wire for everything - it saves headaches later (unless you're just making a baby circuit somewhere).

Probably start to unlearn that, with update coming in four days, that will make that strategy totally unusable.

1 minute ago, Vilda said:

Probably start to unlearn that, with update coming in four days, that will make that strategy totally unusable.

Read the end of my post, sir :) 

" This will all go out of the window in 4 days time with the Early Access update however, but for now I hope this helps :)  "

7 hours ago, Vilda said:

I'll stand over there in the corner :D

In my defense I just returned from a book exhibition and my attention is still spinning around :)

:D Everyones allowed a little brain fart now and again :p

Well, here's my second thermal base.  The first one ended up not having any geysers on it sadly.  Things are fairly stable at this point.

20170515145048_1.jpg

Temperatures are down-right cool across most of the base.

20170515165651_1.jpg

First major digging area and special project.  Scouted for a geyser and found eventually.  Quickly built a simple tank and a room to produce oxygen.  Never ran out of algae in the starting biome.  Experimented with a glitched Electrolyzer but could never get this one to work 100% of the time, but it worked well enough.  I have since replaced it with something better.

20170515144949_1.jpg

My cooling racks with space to spare.  The whole pipe bridge assembly at the bottom allows me to feed the scrubber discrete packets of water so that it doesn't run all the time and waste power.  The valve on the left is set for a very small amount.  It trickles water into the pipe bridge assembly which combines the packets back together in single larger packets.  The packets then hit the second valve which is set to around 300-250 g/s, which is around the max input of the scrubber for water.  (Seems to depend on the game-speed)  This makes it so the scrubber uses the water immediately and doesn't store it.  (Bypassing the empty pipe bug)

20170514150315_1.jpg

Here's my new oxygen production and air filter room.  Hopefully you can follow my spaghetti piping :p  I call it a filter loop!  The 5 filters in the center left are connected together in a loop.  The general idea is to have all the various gas pumps throughout the base to be connected to it somehow and everything is separated and processed here, instead of having one or more filters at each pump.  I figured, in the long run, this would save me power.  Of course, this means in order to squeeze the most efficiency out of the design, I need to feed it 1000 gram packets if I can.  So, several of the gas pumps that feed into the unit have more of those pipe bridge combiners. 

20170512230303_1.jpg

An important thing to note about the loop is that the inputs are more pipe bridges.  If they were pipe splits, the packets in the loop would 'wait' for a second to make room for any entering packets, even if there is none.  This would slow down the throughput of the loop.  The bridges don't produce this effect and only teleport a packet into the pipe they connect to when there's a space for it.  (So I've seen)

20170515175425_1.jpg

Directly under the filter room, I have this morb pit for two morbs I found in this rock biome.  The polluted oxygen is fed to two Pufts in the area just to the left of the screenshot.  Did you know that both Morbs and Hatches can.. fall through the top of a pneumatic door and get stuck within it, particularly if you locked the door?  They become little cages!  Morbs might take a few jumps to fall through the top of the door, but Hatches seem to easily fall right into it.  If you remove or leave out the tile under the door, they'll fall right through the door.  Handy!  That's how I got 4 Hatches in that small room in the third screenshot and why you see a locked pneumatic door right above it.  :D  I got the idea from a forum post a while back for the Hatches, but haven't seen anyone mention that it works for Morbs, so.. now you know!

20170515144446_1.jpg

Here's the important center bit of the base with my clean/cold water tank.  Whatever polluted water that the fertilizer makers can't handle goes to the water purifier and that feeds to the vent on the right.  That mixes with the return water dripping down from the cooling shelves which then feeds the terrarium.  What's left over spills back into the tank, which I can keep track of by hovering over that tile the mouse is currently over.   I was going to use that battery and generator to power the bases air-locks, but then I noticed they work at the same speed regardless if they have power or not.

20170515144517_1.jpg

This is a tour to my Agricultural Base

Grand Overview

Spoiler

colony2-7.jpg

colony2-9.jpg

colony2-8.jpg

colony2-6.jpg

Center of my base.

Left is Industrial Area & Power Plant Generator. Bottom Mid & Right is Farming Area.

Spoiler

colony2-1.jpg

Closer Look to Power Plant Generator. Coal Generator is for backup only.

Spoiler

colony2-5.jpg

colony2-3.jpg

colony2-4.jpg

I build manhole to distribute the heavy wire electricity for the right side of the base, so that decor penalty won't be a problem.

I build several transformer room (the idea at first is i want to have a dedicated transformer for each floor)

colony2-2.jpg

Farming Area

Spoiler

farm3.jpg

I use the Thermal regulator to heat up the PP farming area, and distribute the cold O2 for my bristle & wheat farm.

I also use liquid tepidizer to heat up my polluted water tank that is being use for PP irrigation system. It works really well to heat the area and farm tile. Careful polluted area can rot your foods faster (i should build tile above those water so the harvested fruits don't drop into the water)

To get excellent yield, you need to meet all of the 4 requirements (ideal pressure & temperature, irrigated, and fertilized).

farm2.jpg

farm1.jpg

Hatch Room

Spoiler

hatch.jpg

At first, I capture 6 hatchs, but 1 was MIA, due to a bug i guess.

Coal is good for mid game and emergency use.

Notes: there is a bug where when an ore reach 100.000 Kg on a single tile, it will get reset in the next cycle. something like when you have 102.000kg coals, it will turn into something like 10.000kg coals the next morning

Food

Spoiler

food storage1.jpg

Old Style sterilization, I plan to change them to refrigerator, power is not really an issue. And I already build some in several corner of exploration area. So they won't need to go back and forth just to eat lunch or snack.

When you can afford it, feed all your dupes with the yummy stuffed berry. really help to reduce the stress.

food storage3.jpg

Misc

Spoiler

colony2-9a.jpg

food storage2.jpg

Looks cool buddy - couple of questions if you don't mind...

How come you're not aiming for excellent on your sleet wheat? Is it not worth it - i've not played with them yet.

Did you find a difference in temperature between growing wheezeworts wild and having them in plant pots?

I see you have a lot of air scrubbers in the bottom left - is that the only option you've thought of for dealing with the excess of CO2 from the generators?

17 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

How come you're not aiming for excellent on your sleet wheat? Is it not worth it - i've not played with them yet.

It really is not as it is now. You can get (almost) the same harvest by simply tripling the amount Planter boxes AND you don't have to run around with the fertilizer.

1 minute ago, Vilda said:

It really is not as it is now. You can get (almost) the same harvest by simply tripling the amount Planter boxes AND you don't have to run around with the fertilizer.

So just basic planters, cooling and air pressure ?

2 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

So just basic planters, cooling and air pressure ?

I usually just spam then in a cold biome :) Strength in numbers :) Long term it might need a a room and a cooling setup and in that case you can probably reach a Good harvest even with planter box, if you manage to keep the Ideal temperature.

20170519165452_1.jpg

31 minutes ago, Vilda said:

I usually just spam then in a cold biome :) Strength in numbers :) Long term it might need a a room and a cooling setup and in that case you can probably reach a Good harvest even with planter box, if you manage to keep the Ideal temperature.

Ahhh I see - i'm currently trying to get rooms for every plant at excellent conditions but requiring very little maintenance - if only to prove to myself that this update isn't stupidly over-difficult :D 

So far i've managed Mealwoods, on to bristle blossoms next :p 

crops.jpg

Honestly, it could use some tweaks and balancing because right now I see only 2 cases where you want to go excelent - BB if you need more seeds and PP everytime, because of it's low harvest and high lifecycle. You'd need 5 plants/duplicant for recipes with 1 nut, excelent slashes that in half.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Ahhh I see - i'm currently trying to get rooms for every plant at excellent conditions

Ideal pressure and temperature are possible to maintain but you may want to think twice about fertilizing and irrigation. Fertilizer production uses clean water in effect, and irrigation also needs a lot of water if you grow a lot of plants. I think it's better idea to grow just small number of plants at excellent conditions for seeds, and keep the rest at good conditions since they still give decent harvest and don't need so much resources.

49 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Looks cool buddy - couple of questions if you don't mind...

Hey.. thanks!

I'm gonna try to answer your question, but be aware it contains spoiler (from learning the game yourself).

It's not that i'm not aiming for it to be excellent, i just can't.. lol, honestly sleet wheat IMO is the hardest one to please (that little grain brat).

And like Vilda said, it is not really worth it. unlike bristle or mealwood where you have difficulty to plant more because they got limited seeds.

Sleet got tons of it. so you can just plant a bunch of them. their harvest are a lot too.. They took a very long time, 20 cycles? but their harvest are plenty and not even the highest food quality

Did you find a difference in temperature between growing wheezeworts wild and having them in plant pots?

I can't answer this one since never test it before, I believe Vilda, Risu, or Kasuha can give you a better insight regarding this kind of stuff.

But I believe they shouldn't have any difference, because it will be weird and probably a bug.

I see you have a lot of air scrubbers in the bottom left - is that the only option you've thought of for dealing with the excess of CO2 from the generators?

Yes that's my solution for that. Actually in the previous game I store them in a special room and put scrubbers in it.

But in this build I also got Coal Generator as a backup, and since you can't put gas pipe for their CO2, I just put the scrubber bellow all my generators, didn't bother to create a room.

I use some of the CO2 for sterilized room too. if you look at my food storage, i got 1 room with a pipe and vent. they are coming from the generators.

10 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Ahhh I see - i'm currently trying to get rooms for every plant at excellent conditions but requiring very little maintenance - if only to prove to myself that this update isn't stupidly over-difficult :D 

So far i've managed Mealwoods, on to bristle blossoms next :p

Oh yeah, about free or little maintenance.

I knew some people really like this and having a lot of fun while designing a super efficient base, especially when it really works.

I like efficiency too, but I'm more intrigued in creating a huge expanding colony rather than focusing too much in efficiency.

I usually take a look at it from time to time and fix or modify them to be more efficient, but expanding is more of my thing.

and about using CO2 for ice biome or farm area, i tried this too before and didn't like the idea because it makes my dupes hold their breath. #dupesLivesMatter so I scrap the idea and pump O2 into it..

and CO2 change temperature quite fast.

so how's your bristle farm going? :D

24 minutes ago, Zervo said:

Oh yeah, about free or little maintenance.

I knew some people really like this and having a lot of fun while designing a super efficient base, especially when it really works.

I like efficiency too, but I'm more intrigued in creating a huge expanding colony rather than focusing too much in efficiency.

I usually take a look at it from time to time and fix or modify them to be more efficient, but expanding is more of my thing.

and about using CO2 for ice biome or farm area, i tried this too before and didn't like the idea because it makes my dupes hold their breath. #dupesLivesMatter so I scrap the idea and pump O2 into it..

and CO2 change temperature quite fast.

so how's your bristle farm going? :D

I streamed all night - 7 hours tonight, so didnt get to test, will try tomorrow afternoon.

The thing for me is I stream more than I play in "peaceful chill" mode - so I often settle for "meh, it works, let's move on" rather than complete refinement :D I'm conscious that me sitting there, scratching my chin wondering "how the hell can I route these wires better?" might not be the most entertaining :D

In my solo plays I like to tinker and test myself a little...

Cycles 243-254, 22 dupes.

Problems:

- Food shortage caused by ice biom to warm to much (down under). This is place where all my sleet wheat was. Tried to pump -60C air there but I was having power problems to pump it constantly.

- Constant power problems. Those 10 natural gas generators were not enough. On that note I think I'd like to natural gas power generation be doubled in future updates.

- Raw metal problems ( copper, gold and also coal). Had to do some digging to find additional small pockets of those minerals. Still have good amount of iron tho.

- Hot temperature (my base and my clean water supply (up the map). Don't know how to deal with it.

- Big performance issues. Even on normal my fps is under 20 fps (jumps around 10 and 20 fps).

nimetön.png

nimetön1.png

nimetön3.png

21 hours ago, AliVaja said:

Final cycle 243, 22 dupes.

Problems:

- Food shortage caused by ice biom to warm to much (down under). This is place where all my sleet wheat was. Tried to pump -60C air there but I was having power problems to pump it constantly.

- Constant power problems. Those 10 natural gas generators were not enough. On that note I think I'd like to natural gas power generation be doubled in future updates.

- Raw metal problems ( copper, gold and also coal). Had to do some digging to find additional small pockets of those minerals. Still have good amount of iron tho.

- Hot temperature (my base and my clean water supply (up the map). Don't know how to deal with it.

- Big performance issues. Even on normal my fps is under 20 fps (jumps around 10 and 20 fps).

I fear you may have had your batteries wired up incorrectly - as your base could have run off half as many generators.

As regards your raw metal, try strip mining a few slime biomes, and you'll be swimming in gold before you know it.

Temperature is often a killer, I use cooled water to fix the problem if one ever arises as it's the quickest solution. That or some strategically placed ice :p

Performance can be up/down depending on what you have mapped out to build/dig, or how clunky your pipework is, or even how long you've been playing. I suggest you save and try a fresh reload every hour or two and you'll notice it'll run a lot smoother.

Great work though buddy - now onto your next colony :D 

On 23/05/2017 at 1:56 PM, AliVaja said:

how much W is your colony using each second? click your main power network or one of your generator.

I think you might have problem in your gas pipes.

The problem lies in your NGG pumping, my best guess you don't have the optimize setup for the CO2 pipes which make your NGG not always working. When they can't pump out the CO2, they'll stop working for every 1-2 seconds.

The easiest way to check: Click your main power grid and see if all your generators keep working or idling.

If it's not always working, you'll see "not pumping" status in those generators. If this is the case. check your gas pipe

5 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

I fear you may have had your batteries wired up incorrectly - as your base could have run off half as many generators.

No, my batteries are wired correctively but they defiantly ain't optimally placed or used. Check my original post, updated it with power use image.

2 hours ago, Zervo said:

how much W is your colony using each second? click your main power network or one of your generator.

I think you might have problem in your gas pipes.

The problem lies in your NGG pumping, my best guess you don't have the optimize setup for the CO2 pipes which make your NGG not always working. When they can't pump out the CO2, they'll stop working for every 1-2 seconds.

I think you are absolutely right! My NGGs produce only 8.8-8.9kW. And the problem probaly is indeed that I have no room to pump all the CO2 out.

5 hours ago, AliVaja said:

No, my batteries are wired correctively but they defiantly ain't optimally placed or used. Check my original post, updated it with power use image.

I think you are absolutely right! My NGGs produce only 8.8-8.9kW. And the problem probaly is indeed that I have no room to pump all the CO2 out.

Yeah, my point was that you seemed to have batteries sporadically placed - although it was harder to see exactly without the electric overlay. For example, you only have 1 battery on each line going to your electrolyzer room - which is a very small buffer.

That paired with your CO2 backlog was probably the root of all evil :)

Not trying to pick your base apart, just helping with the closure of "what the hell went wrong?!" :D 

Archived