End game improvements that we desperately need.

If the title dragged you in here, you probably think DS needs some love regarding its end game experience. Welcome, you're at the right spot for a few suggestions.

I've played DS / RoG / SW a lot since it was first released (933 hours, according to my current steam profile) and went through different phases. I started by learning the basics of the game, enjoying each features that it provided. Then, after a while, I started to feel comfortable surviving and started to settle more easily. After that, I connected a RoG world with a fresh SW world to achieve a 2000 days megabase which I'm quite proud of.

I'm not saying that to brag in any way (you guys don't even know me, so what would be the point), but I feel like sharing what I achieved in this game might give my thoughts some credit. Here comes the problem.

The game, despite being absolutely awesome, lacks some quality of life improvements for late game players like me, who like to basebuild and are annoyed by having to do some actions over and over again because of minor gameplay or design problems. Here are some examples and suggestions :

1. The amount of wood one need on a daily basis is absurd (a few boards for each companion houses, 2 boards for each wood wall - which can look fancy is certain set-ups -, logs for fires, ..., and, last but not least, 1 board for each cobblestone tile). This amount of wood is very high regarding how hard it is to farm. Once you've learned how to kite and bait Bearger, it gets a lot easier, but another problem emerges : you need to pick up all that wood. And god does it take time. I've spent almost entire winters gathering wood from the floor and crafting boards with it. It's both boring and annoying, especially when you already spent 2k days farming stuff. Gathering it by hands is really long and painful, so I tried using the lazy forager, but the speed at which it takes objects is barely higher and it has a quite poor durability, making it a poor choice as well. So, what's next ... nothing. You're left with either your hands or a frustrating item. SUGGESTION : Either make the lazy forager picking items instantly, increase its durability, or make it refuelable (with nightmare fuel for instance, that I really don't know what to do with except dark swords for my little Wes).
  2. The time it takes to craft high quantities of the same item is insanely long. When you start playing and you struggle to get decent quantities of materials, you don't have issues with clicking a few times to craft these 4 boards you need for your first pig house. However, when it comes to transforming these 600 rocks into 200 cut stones into 600 stone walls to wall up a few sets, it gets a little bit more annoying. It's 200 + 100 clicks at least (considering you'll wait each time before clicking for the next crafting) that really are not necessary. I understand that it must take time to craft that many items, but do we really need to hit that poor mouse that many times ? SUGGESTION : Allow the player to enter a number of items to be crafted, without necessarily reducing the global crafting duration, and allow the direct crafting from tier 1 item to tier 3 item (rocks to walls for instance).
  3. Simply put, building walls is a pain. You have to place the wall parts one by one, and if by any chance you misclick one of them, you have either to reselect the walls in you inventory if none was placed, or to hammer the placed wall if it was misplaced. Either way, it's a pain. SUGGESTION : Let the player build a line of walls (Age of empires like) that would just be incomplete when the line crosses an obstacle or when there are no more walls in the player's inventory. Just like in my previous suggestion, this doesn't have to reduce the duration of wall building, just the pain that comes out of it. 
  4. Add doors to the game. I know that this game is considered finished and that the developers don't intent to add new content to it, but god if there is one item that needs to be added, this is definitely doors. This is so retarded that you have to break your walls and rebuild it afterwards every time you need to cross them. And don't even get me started on how walls need more material to be repaired than to be built ... Granted, some sets don't need to be completely closed, but when you gotta pen doydoys, volt goats, koalefants or ... about anything else you have to close them while still being able to get in and out easily and there are no reasonable solutions in the game to do so. SUGGESTION : Add doors to the game. Base builders and ... every DS player that wants to pen stuff needs them badly.

Don't Starve is one of the best game ever created (to my opinion) and this is sad that minor gameplay problems are slowly taking over my playing experience. The fact that you can jumpworld in SW to reset both the SW part of the world and the caves is nothing but GREAT  and it adds a lot to the possibilities of the end game, but aside from that, just a few changes could make Don't Starve ... simply perfect.

May my words be read.

Peace and prosperity to you, fellow Survivors.

Archived