Lumina

How to ask help for modding [Include Tutorials]

Lumina    1,532

I made this topic to try to centralize advices or tools i find useful and that could help people searching for help. Of course, this is still empty and must be improved. I'll edit it with suggestions people could have. If you have a link for an useful tool or a tutorial, post it here or send me a message and i'll try to add it to the first message.

If i made mistake or if some points aren't clear, just tell me. Since english isn't my first langage, mistakes could easily happen.

I hope it could help people :)

This is very helpful; I'll definitely use this. I'm just starting out with the game and trying to make my own mods, so this is something I'll certainly follow if I need help! (I've been wondering how to open up the log to look for errors if I'd ever come across one and would need to make a post asking for help, thank you!)

Would you say my latest topic about segment amount and segment length was crappily executed? Just want to know, because I really want to get clear communication accross.

Lumina    1,532
19 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Would you say my latest topic about segment amount and segment length was crappily executed? Just want to know, because I really want to get clear communication accross.

You didn't provide logs, but maybe there isn't anything useful in log, still it's better to tell it if it's the case. The more information, the best. But i guess that your main problem is that you are asking for help for something very specific, and not anyone has the knowledge needed to help you. Maybe you can try to contact the author of the mod.

23 minutes ago, FrontierHero said:

This is very helpful; I'll definitely use this. I'm just starting out with the game and trying to make my own mods, so this is something I'll certainly follow if I need help! (I've been wondering how to open up the log to look for errors if I'd ever come across one and would need to make a post asking for help, thank you!)

I'm glad to hear it :)

I'll probably add tomorrow a part about program you could use for opening .lua file. I use Notepad++ and Don't starve tool has Sublime, and there are others options, but the most important is to have a text editor that highlights the code so you can read it more easily.

39 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I'm glad to hear it :)

I'll probably add tomorrow a part about program you could use for opening .lua file. I use Notepad++ and Don't starve tool has Sublime, and there are others options, but the most important is to have a text editor that highlights the code so you can read it more easily.

Awesome! I do use Notepad++, but I mostly have trouble navigating the code, since this is my first experience with coding. Although I just downloaded the text-reading program because I was told to in a set of instructions in a tutorial, so I do not know exactly how to utilize the Notepad++ to its full potential; you bet I'll be looking for that program guide! Thanks again!

Edited by FrontierHero
I left out a word that would probably have the sentence read and understood differently otherwise

Lumina    1,532

It will not be a big guide, just some basics advices. I guess it will not be useful in your case. It's more for people not knowing about programs like notepad++ or sublime.

Lumina    1,532

Sure. I wasn't sure it's helpful, so i didn't add it, but i'll do it.

Serpens    336
12 hours ago, Lumina said:

Sure. I wasn't sure it's helpful, so i didn't add it, but i'll do it.

it is very helpful, cause the best way to learn modding, is to search the game code for examples. And with notepad++ this is very easy. So I will advice every new modder to do this :)

Lumina    1,532

Now there is a link to the set piece tutorial (thanks serpens) and also an updated "Custom recipe/food visible in crockpot/farm".

If you have tutorial to suggest or want to make one, they are welcome :)

I speak Spanish.
I would like to implement in my character things like hat and weapon but I do not know how to create them and I do not understand the tutorials above for it.
What I can do?.
in steam, my mod is kira.

Lumina    1,532

Hey, sorry for the delay, it's better to make a new topic for questions, people will see it more easily.

ne_pro1    0

English is not my main language, I use translator.
In the "Spriter" I change the position of the sprites, save the new .scml file, re-generate the animation, but the position of the sprite remains on the template. 
PS. the game is running. There are no errors. I can only assume that somewhere there was the old animation (the template) which works instead of the new animation.

jeYwodt4Iy8111.jpg

Lumina    1,532

Yes, for character template, moving sprite not always work. Try changing the pivot, maybe. If it doesn't work, change the image rather than the sprite.

Good luck.

asd1asd2206    0

hi could you help me I wrote a mod for the appearance of the rooms in the shipwreck but it doesn't work I have one person wanted to test the code (I asked him ) but he's already day 3 not responding I never know who to go to and I'm a little desperate and could you please help me (please)https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/82499-not-working-mod/?tab=comments#comment-959279 ? (Google translator )