Why are wooden walls so freaking weak in SW?? - Klei please

Wood is not that weak as a construction element IRL dear Klei!!!...

In SW is like not worth it using Wood walls at all... which is a real shame cuz in many tropical countries, wood is one of the most used construction materials available out there... After all, the ships are made out of wood, aren't they??

You could introduce stronger trees species. This is actually pretty logical and also kinda fitting SW, because the stronger arboreal species come from tropical lands !! ... and theses trees could be  surrounded by some nasty mobs or like a miniquest or something... but please make wooden walls a thing, please dear Klei! 

I understand your point but I don't quite agree with you here.

Even though wood is widely used as a construction material (despite many of its disadvantages such as creeping) and is quite strong if it is used correctly in real life, game developers do have to consider other things than its strength. We can look at this from a couple of different perspectives:

1. Balancing. You see, balancing items in game is very difficult - players abuse the cheap and strong items and do not care about the ones that are not as powerful (I am simplifying this by separating items into OP and UP groups). Considering how common and renewable wood is, making it strong will cause the game to be unbalance which greatly compromises the fun.

2. Factoring the disadvantages of wood. Of course wood itself is quite strong of a material if you are considering its tensile strength in the direction parallel to the fibers. However, wooden structures have many disadvantages, as mentioned above, such as creeping and molding issues if not properly treated, and they have shorter life span than stone structures. Since this game is not exactly a simulator, these factors are not considered. You can simply assume that these factors are accounted for into the health point of wood walls.

Overall if you think of both of the reasons, you would find the current design pretty well-balanced. (Probably not perfect but close enough IMO)

Archived