Wigfrid is considered OP? Why..!?

46 minutes ago, FTR said:

This is classic example of Wolfgang -damage overkill. One shot spider, cool, but why would I want that? Doesn't change anything.

Why would you want that? To farm monster meat faster silly! And to stock pile monster and turn them into eggs, hence bacon n' eggs, then fed to pigs for werepigs.

I know Webber and Wendy farm alot faster monster meat than Wolfgang, but Wolfgang farms monster meat alot faster than Wigfrid in this case due to the "overkill".

46 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

Why would you want that? To farm monster meat faster silly! And to stock pile monster and turn them into eggs, hence bacon n' eggs, then fed to pigs for werepigs.

I know Webber and Wendy farm alot faster monster meat than Wolfgang, but Wolfgang farms monster meat alot faster than Wigfrid in this case due to the "overkill".

There are other factors that limit you regardless. Den capacity, amount of dens, inventory slots, temperature and time of day. You won't see big benefit of having to hit spider one time less. Definately not big enough to justify food you have to waste to get those extra seconds per den.

Don't get me wrong, damage bonus is great, but people overestimate it. Apart from boss fights it does not help you that much, especially when you kite things. I was playing Wolfgang, being all happy and mighty and in the middle of playthrough I realized that all I get from this extra strenght is some comfort, because I can do all of it almost exactly the same without any damage bonus. While still being penalized by hunger even when I am building, farming, exploring, gathering stuff, sorting things and generally managing my camp. Sure I had more food than I could ever use, but I still couldn't get rid of that feeling that I waste so much of it.

Hell, I killed Deerclops melee with Wendy and it was not even that bad as you could expect.

2 minutes ago, FTR said:

There are other factors that limit you regardless. Den capacity, amount of dens, inventory slots, temperature and time of day.

Those same factors also apply to Wigfrid, this are some obvious factors, why state them?

You won't see big benefit of having to hit spider one time less. Definately not big enough to justify food you have to waste to get those extra seconds per den.

I do see the huge benefit, it halves the time it takes for me to kill spiders and makes group control alot easier, considering I kill alot faster, it does justify the food it takes for those extra seconds.

Don't get me wrong, damage bonus is great, but people overestimate it. Apart from boss fights it does not help you that much, especially when you kite things.

LOL WHAT? The only reason Wolfgang is my favourite character is because I kite and don't tank (tanking is for Wigfrid) and his dmg multiplier of 2x which is big compared to Wigfrid 1.25x dmg, it's bound to be over-estimated. 

I was playing Wolfgang, being all happy and mighty and in the middle of playthrough I realized that all I get from this extra strenght is some comfort, because I can do all of it almost exactly the same without any damage bonus. While still being penalized by hunger even when I am building, farming, exploring, gathering stuff, sorting things and generally managing my camp. Sure I had more food than I could ever use, but I still couldn't get rid of that feeling that I waste so much of it.

How many times do I have to repeat myself? Wolfgang is an exclusively combat oriented character, he wasn't clearly made for building, farming, exploring, gathering stuff, sorting things and generally managing any camps. Want to be strong at battle but also be able to explore? Go Wigfrid. 

If you spend your time farming and building instead of fighting as Wolfgang, you're not using him properly.

Hell, I killed Deerclops melee with Wendy and it was not even that bad as you could expect.

I can imagine how long that would've taken.

Wigfrid is the Vampire Blacksmith

Wolfgang is the Strong Knight

Wendy is the Necromancer

Woodie is the Druid

Wilson is the Alchemist

Wickerbottom is the Witch

Wes is the Jester

Willow is the Pyromancer

Webber is the Beast Master

WX78 is the Electromancer

Maxwell is the Occultist

Those same factors also apply to Wigfrid, this are some obvious factors, why state them?

Discussion swifted to how useful is damage multiplier so I was speaking in general, not Wigfrid-Wolfgang context.

I do see the huge benefit, it halves the time it takes for me to kill spiders and makes group control alot easier, considering I kill alot faster, it does justify the food it takes for those extra seconds.

It really doesn't. Don't take into account only the very moment you hit a monster. Take into account the entire time since leaving the camp, getting to spiders, killing them and coming back. Overall you won't get much extra time from killing the spiders one hit quicker.

LOL WHAT? The only reason Wolfgang is my favourite character is because I kite and don't tank (tanking is for Wigfrid) and his dmg multiplier of 2x which is big compared to Wigfrid 1.25x dmg, it's bound to be over-estimated. 

I would say tanking is for nobody, just because you can tank more does not mean you should throw away your hitpoints, unless situation forces you to. I already explained my thoughts of damage multiplayer, it's useful, but not as useful as you think it is. Bosses however, this is different story.

How many times do I have to repeat myself? Wolfgang is an exclusively combat oriented character, he wasn't clearly made for building, farming, exploring, gathering stuff, sorting things and generally managing any camps. Want to be strong at battle but also be able to explore? Go Wigfrid. 

Maybe that's where our differences in opinion come from.  I never judge character based on how much help it requires from others, but rather how much can he provide. In my opinion building, farming, exploring, sorting and gathering takes more time and effort than fighting and hunting, so characters that are more flexible and can do both have big advantage in my book. Character that is good at fighting but is just burden when he does not fight (.Wolfgang) is imo rather useless, because this game is like 25% combat and 75% everything else.

Wigfrid does not have anything that would make her a burden when she does not fight, quite the opposite actually. And yet, she can still fight and lose as much or less hp/sanity as Wolfgang and way less meals. Resources are important and your stats are also resources. Just through Wigfrid lifesteal she will gain a looot health through the course of the entire game, and that's just one of her perks.

If you spend your time farming and building instead of fighting as Wolfgang, you're not using him properly.

Well if you rely only on yourself, you kinda have to. I am not kind of person that hopes someone else will build my crock pot, handle my farms and sort my stuff, despite of character I play as.

I can imagine how long that would've taken.

Four times longer than Wolfgang, twice as long as Wilson. ;)

2 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

This is just a false statement. The limiting factor in how much monster meat you can farm is the respawn time of the spiders, not the number of attacks it takes to kill them. You can only get 10 spiders out of each T3 spider den before you just have to wait for respawns no matter how many hits it takes to kill them.

Unless you have multiple dens close to each other. But then time still lmits you, I prefer to kite spiders out of their dens during a day instead of agroing them in the evening and taking damage (tho. Wigfrid does not care that much, another perk of op Wig).

4 hours ago, Fork said:

Wigfrid is the Vampire Blacksmith

Wolfgang is the Strong Knight

Wendy is the Necromancer

Woodie is the Druid

Wilson is the Alchemist

Wickerbottom is the Witch

Wes is the Jester

Willow is the Pyromancer

Webber is the Beast Master

WX78 is the Electromancer

Maxwell is the Occultist

I enjoyed every single medieval nickname until you got to Wilson. Wilson can't even experiment with potions....

9a0.gif

Atleast not in the actual game.

4 hours ago, HomShaBom said:

This is just a false statement. The limiting factor in how much monster meat you can farm is the respawn time of the spiders, not the number of attacks it takes to kill them. You can only get 10 spiders out of each T3 spider den before you just have to wait for respawns no matter how many hits it takes to kill them.

I forgot to state that it just helps me farm alot faster when there's multiple dens and a large group of spiders, why would I want to only farm 1 spider nest? I usually go for multiple ones. 

5 hours ago, FTR said:

Discussion swifted to how useful is damage multiplier so I was speaking in general, not Wigfrid-Wolfgang context.

Oh, but then why talk about it if it's in general to every character?

It really doesn't. Don't take into account only the very moment you hit a monster. Take into account the entire time since leaving the camp, getting to spiders, killing them and coming back. Overall you won't get much extra time from killing the spiders one hit quicker.

You activated my trap card! Wolfgang has 1.25x speed boost when Mighty! Therefore your "account" of leaving the entire base is rebutted. Combine Wolfgang with a walking cane, do the math.

I would say tanking is for nobody, just because you can tank more does not mean you should throw away your hitpoints, unless situation f orces you to. I already explained my thoughts of damage multiplayer, it's useful, but not as useful as you think it is. Bosses however, this is different story.

Except that tanking is the only specialty Wigfrid specializes with her vampiric ability. If Wigfrid isn't used for tanking then,  what is she good for? Being an automatic armour dispenser?

Maybe that's where our differences in opinion come from.  I never judge character based on how much help it requires from others, but rather how much can he provide. In my opinion building, farming, exploring, sorting and gathering takes more time and effort than fighting and hunting, so characters that are more flexible and can do both have big advantage in my book. Character that is good at fighting but is just burden when he does not fight (.Wolfgang) is imo rather useless, because this game is like 25% combat and 75% everything else.

Gathering and exploring takes less effort than fighting, fighting is a big learning curve in the game, specially with bosses and hound attacks, not to mention any hostile mob. 

Building, farming, exploring, sorting take time? Absolutely.

Do these activities take skill? Not compared to fighting.

Wigfrid can do both, but  she's not the best for exploring nor fighting. 

Highest strength? Wolfgang.

Best tanker? WX-78. 

Best explorer? Wendy.

Best at gathering/providing resources? Wickerbottom.

Honestly, Wigfrid is a jack of all trades with a twist. 

Wigfrid does not have anything that would make her a burden when she does not fight, quite the opposite actually. And yet, she can still fight and lose as much or less hp/sanity as Wolfgang and way less meals

Except Wigfrid has a smaller max sanity/health stats. 

He takes too much meals you ask? A bad Wolfgang doesn't provide his own meals nor for his comrades. Literally depending on others to feed you makes you a bad Wolfgang. 

Wolfgang = more meals = produces more meals

He may eat alot but late game he can eat dragonpie then explore with his team ;)

An Excellent skilled Wolfgang hunts for himself and  to feed his team. 

.Resources are important and your stats are also resources. Just through Wigfrid lifesteal she will gain a looot health through the course of the entire game, and that's just one of her perks.

This life steal ability can be easily off-set by eating butterflies,taffy, other useful non-meat products I haven't mentioned.

Well if you rely only on yourself, you kinda have to. I am not kind of person that hopes someone else will build my crock pot, handle my farms and sort my stuff, despite of character I play as.

Early game due to the abundances of berries, juicy berries, carrots I always help my group with mining and chopping. I never, never turn myself into a liability as the Mighty Wolfgang.

Four times longer than Wolfgang, twice as long as Wilson. ;)

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-

WHY WOULD YOU WASTE THAT MUCH TIME.

22 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Meaty stew is not the best for Wigfrid, jerky or bacon and eggs is. Wig has to carry food around with her at all times. She pretty much can't make it through the day without eating. Unless you want to spend every night in the base, she needs something that keeps awhile even in summer, and meaty stew spoils too fast.

Yeah i just stick with meat balls but just always thought the highest meat item wasnt the best for her lol 

2 hours ago, FTR said:

Why would I waste that much time gathering food for Wolfgang? ;) Which is more than those 2 extra minutes you need to deal with Deerclops as Wendy (overall).

No one should be gathering food for Wolfgang, a Mighty Wolfgang gathers food for himself and his team. 

I acknowledge that Wigfrid is useful, she brings armour, she is decent for exploration also tanks hard in battles.

However calling Wolfgang useless? How can you say that? He's the strongest character in the game (damage-wise) therefore makes short work of most hostile mobs in the game. 

Honestly at this point, you're trying to counter Wolfgang's abilities with Wigfrid's abilities even though they're both absolutely different characters which most of the players here pointed out in this forum. 

Before this thread I literally only thought Wigfrid of as a an automatic armour dispenser, but she's much more than that. 

She can tank hard early game, useful for exploration and takes little resources, however her abilities start to slowly fade over how the game progresses. 

TL;DR Wigfrid helps the team with an hard push early game but then her abilities start to get out-classed with time.

Just some more wood I'd like to throw into this bonfire.

• Contrary to popular belief, Wigfrid is not a 100% carnivore.
    Wigfrid can indeed consume Jelly Beans, because Jelly Beans are a true warrior's food.
  • Wigfrid can actually solo Deerclops with a her starting gear and a campfire to thaw out his attacks. (Deerclops will swings just enough times to break your helm but you slay him in the middle of his last swing animation, canceling it, so it'll probably hit you for 56.25 damage if you don't have good ping, which still won't kill you, but the point of face tanking is that you wear armor to not get hit in the face for 56.25 damage)
  • Wigfrid is execellent at Ruins rush (I can consistently prepare for Ruins by day 7). You only need a stack of basic resources (grass, twigs, flint, rocks, gold, logs) and some food (I just take cooked monster meat). It's almost important that you have an alchemy engine to craft a lantern (I also like to craft an Opulent Pickaxe to mine statues. A fishing rod would is also an option to fish for eel in the ruins, which given 8 health when cooked).Living logs would be nice to craft staves though. Once you're in the ruins, you can kill depth worms for monster meat as food. Constant insanity is not a problem because Wigfrid can easily take on shadow creatures which also gives her nightmare fuel which is important for crafting Ancient items.
  • Note that Wolfgang can single-handed stun and knock off scales from DST Dragonfly by face tanking with a Dark Sword when at full hunger. 
  • Wolfgang really doesn't need to deal with sanity once you're all about that Tam life.
  • Wolfgang can increase his effective healing by up to 200% through his transformations. Let's say Wolfgang is at 0 hunger; he'll have 100/150 health. If Wolfgang's hunger goes to 300, he'll have 200/300 health. If he uses a healing salve then, he'll go to 220/300 health. However, if Wolfgang were to use a healing salve before going to 300 hunger, his health would go to 120/150 health. Then, when Wolfgang goes to 300 hunger, his health would be at 240/300. This essentially doubled the effectiveness of the healing salve. This can also be said for Wigfrid, who gets 33% more effective health from all sources of healing thanks to her passive damage reduction.
  • One thing that's really nice about Wigfrid is how nicely her damage numbers fall together. Her spear does 42.5 damage (34*1.25). She has a passive 1.25 damage multiplier which brings her effective damage with a Battle Spear up to 53.125 damage (34*1.25*1.25). This is really nice because she passes the 50 damage mark and mainly creatures have health pools that are a multiple of 50 (Spiders have 100hp; Hounds have 150hp)
  • Note that Wigfrid's passive 25% damage reduction applies to all sources of damage except for crafting (Tell-Tale Heart). (She'll take 25% less damage from monster meat, overheating, freezing, starving, etc.)
  • Wolfgang increases the effective durability of weapons with his damage multiplier. (If Wolfgang has a tentacle spike and 300 hunger for 2x damage. If he has to take out 100 spiders with this tentacles spike (note that tentacles spikes have a durability of 100 uses) he would only need a single tentacle spider, assuming his hunger is kept at a constant 300. A character such as Wilson who has no damage multiplier would have to swing twice to kill a spider. This means he'll need 2 tentacle spikes to clear 100 spiders. Wendy would take 3 swings per spider, effectively using 3 tentacle spikes. But who needs tentacle spikes when you have Abigail?)
  • One thing I find annoying about Wolfgang is maintaining hunger is combat. I might decide to hunt spiders with a spear so I bring food to bring my hunger up to 250 for that 1.5 damage multiplier (34*1.5=51, enough to two shot spiders). But then I underestimate the amount of food Wolfgang needs, so I run out of food to maintain 250 hunger. Once I dip below 250 hunger, I'll start whacking spiders for 49 damage, I'm going to feel sad when they have 2hp left.

I could point out more stuff like how Wigfrid can choose to be a nomad and how Wolfgang kite ever so slightly more efficiently with his mighty form speed boost, but I'll leave it at that.

If you're having trouble keeping Wolfgang mighty, you are probably not killing the right things for food, or spending too much time processing it.

Killing stuff plays a large role in crafting higher end items, so getting faster kills means you can move onto the next task sooner. It's a bonus if what you're killing for mats doubles as a food source.

Mid-end game you should have food surplus, so you might as well be eating it for that speed bonus.

You activated my trap card! Wolfgang has 1.25x speed boost when Mighty! Therefore your "account" of leaving the entire base is rebutted. Combine Wolfgang with a walking cane, do the math.

Good point. Speed bonus is probably better thing that his damage multiplier, still doesn't justify going mighty unless you have decent distance to travel or agile boss to kite.

Except that tanking is the only specialty Wigfrid specializes with her vampiric ability. If Wigfrid isn't used for tanking then,  what is she good for? Being an automatic armour dispenser?

Tanking is useful at all time and has nothing to do with vampiric ability. Both of those would work without each other. Those are huge powerful perks.

Gathering and exploring takes less effort than fighting, fighting is a big learning curve in the game, specially with bosses and hound attacks, not to mention any hostile mob. 

Building, farming, exploring, sorting take time? Absolutely.

Do these activities take skill? Not compared to fighting.

Wigfrid can do both, but  she's not the best for exploring nor fighting. 

Highest strength? Wolfgang.

Best tanker? WX-78. 

Best explorer? Wendy.

Best at gathering/providing resources? Wickerbottom.

Honestly, Wigfrid is a jack of all trades with a twist. 

Learning curve yes, but once you learn it's base management that becomes headache. Fighting and hunting is just pleasure despite of what character you use to do it as, that is fun part. Sorting stacks of stone, that is boring and time consuming part.

Anyway my main point was the time. It does consume more time as you agreed, so you will consume unnecessary amounts of food as Wolfgang while doing those things, which makes him ****ty base manager compare to other characters, as you agreed. That's not personal skill we discussing but base statistics and perks of characters compared when controlled by same person.

Except Wigfrid has a smaller max sanity/health stats. 

He takes too much meals you ask? A bad Wolfgang doesn't provide his own meals nor for his comrades. Literally depending on others to feed you makes you a bad Wolfgang. 

Wolfgang = more meals = produces more meals

He may eat alot but late game he can eat dragonpie then explore with his team ;)

An Excellent skilled Wolfgang hunts for himself and  to feed his team. 

Wigfrid can provide just as much food as Wolfgang, while eating twice less. Honestly, she can kill things with really similar time, while not having to waste so much food for herself, so she brings it home. I am pretty sure overall Wigfrid provides way more food than Wolfgang, because he eats as much as two players. You won't make up for that even if you hunt nonstop. Wigfrid hunting nonstop will always bring more food.

This life steal ability can be easily off-set by eating butterflies,taffy, other useful non-meat products I haven't mentioned.

Yes but that's not the point of the discussion right? The point is that she has life steal ability, while Wolfgang, well, he eats a lot?

Early game due to the abundances of berries, juicy berries, carrots I always help my group with mining and chopping. I never, never turn myself into a liability as the Mighty Wolfgang.

Liability, probably not. Good player won't be liability even as Wes, but at the same time good player would be even less of liability when playing character better that Wes.

8 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

No one should be gathering food for Wolfgang, a Mighty Wolfgang gathers food for himself and his team. 

I acknowledge that Wigfrid is useful, she brings armour, she is decent for exploration also tanks hard in battles.

However calling Wolfgang useless? How can you say that? He's the strongest character in the game (damage-wise) therefore makes short work of most hostile mobs in the game. 

Honestly at this point, you're trying to counter Wolfgang's abilities with Wigfrid's abilities even though they're both absolutely different characters which most of the players here pointed out in this forum. 

Before this thread I literally only thought Wigfrid of as a an automatic armour dispenser, but she's much more than that. 

She can tank hard early game, useful for exploration and takes little resources, however her abilities start to slowly fade over how the game progresses. 

TL;DR Wigfrid helps the team with an hard push early game but then her abilities start to get out-classed with time.

It was already explained why Wigfrid is superior through the entire game, you didn't counter any of those argument. You really, honestly believe that all those perks:

- 25% damage bonus

- 25% damage reduction

- life steal ability

- cheap special helmet

- cheap (good!) special weapon, way better than spear

- free spear and helmet at the start

are worse than 2x damage multiplier? FOR LESSER drawback? Really? There only difference when playing Wolfgang is that I can kill boss 10 seconds quicker, yay I guess?

Wolfgang is the strongest character in the game, but he is far from most useful character in the game because, as I already said many times, strenght is nowhere as important as you think it is and makes less difference than you think it does and his drawback is too serious. Monsters in DST should have many times more health than they currently do for big damage multiplier to have noticable effect.

Bosses are not taken into account because they are tiny percentage of DST activities/monsters and you only really can fully use your bonus when killing them solo.

Wigfrid is consistently good through the course of the entire game, but she gets better once you get camp going because her drawback becomes even more insignificant. Not being able to eat meats can only potentially be problematic early game.

She also gets access to more gold later in the game so she can spam even more helmets and armors, making everyone else a bit more tough.

Her damage multiplier is more than enough for DST world and allows you to quickly kill anything, including 2 shot spiders right from the start of the game without need of eating two meaty stews.

She is super reliable and can regenerate health quicker than any other character in the game, and sanity quicker than most other characters.

Her damage reduction ability is absolutely unique as she is the only character having it, WHILE STILL having damage multiplier AND pretty much no drawback for this.

She can craft weapon that's better than regular spear right from the beggining of the game, can everyone can use it.

Wigfrid day1 with her own spear has damage of 53,125 even at 1 Hunger

Mighty Wolfgang day1 with regular spear AND (good job wasting all that precious early food for exploring) has damage of 68

Oh the one thing everyone forget, Wolfgang only has x2 damage multiplier when he has absolutely full stomach as it decreases gradually. His damage bonus varies from 1.25x to 2x between 225 and 300 hunger. I think everyone just dismiss it as you try to stay full at all time, but if you want to do it you waste even more food. If you are 262,5 hunger and eat meatballs to get your damage bonus from 1.5x to 2x, you waste 25 hunger from them etc. So unless you consume raw foods like carrots you will waste hunger.

So you will rarely be at exactly x2 damage bonus, usually it's going to be less than that, in mighty form.

8 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

I was proved wrong early in the forum, although it's renewable there's some other useful uses (magic) for it. 

There is way too few uses for gold to use all of that. I am usually left with way too much gold than I need.

7 hours ago, HamBatter said:

If you're having trouble keeping Wolfgang mighty, you are probably not killing the right things for food, or spending too much time processing it.

Killing stuff plays a large role in crafting higher end items, so getting faster kills means you can move onto the next task sooner. It's a bonus if what you're killing for mats doubles as a food source.

Mid-end game you should have food surplus, so you might as well be eating it for that speed bonus.

Not sure what are you refering to but I personally never wrote I had trouble keeping Wolfgang mighty. In early game it's situational but you can quickly just rain food on yourself. It still doesn't mean it does not require any sort of time and work to get that food, time you could otherwise spend doing other, more useful things than trying to keep your unnecessary mighty form for regular monsters.

21 hours ago, FTR said:

You actually spend a lot time in whimpy form when there is shortage of food, which can happen a lot in early game. Besides that staying in whimpy form when you are not fighting (which is again - more time than when you DO fight), is advised as you consume less food. Doesn't matter if you have lots of food or not, you shouldn't just throw it away and that's what you do when you are in normal or mighty form while not fighting. Even in whimpy form Wolfgang consumes more food than any other character.

Wigfrid helmet is the best in the game considering that thule crown is not a reliable armor to have - limited resources, problematic access, lack of any water resistance, overall bad item that's not worth the hassle. Meanwhile Battle Helm is easy to craft and you can practically spam it for everyone. Imo. Battle Helm is absolutely top head armor in the game.

If I would ever have to choose a teammate wolfgang or wigfrid, I wouldn't even think a second. I played solo dst playthrough as Wolfgang (killed all giants solo etc.) so I definately know how good he can be in certain situations (killing Deerclops melee under 30 seconds ftw.), but he comes nowhere near close to Wigfrid overall usefulness. Wolfgang's damage it's unnecessary overkill most of the time in exchange for annoying downside.

People that think Wolfgang is better than Wigfrid need to look at things from wider perspective, this game is not only about killing giants.

Maybe this will be controversial but this is my opinion of most to least useful characters:

Wigfrid                > Wickerbottom > Webber > Woodie (<3) > Wendy > Wolfgang > WX-78 > Wilson > Willow > Wes

I didn't include Maxwell because I don't have much experience with him, but I think I would place him somewhere between Webber and Wolfgang. Webber requires some skill to play but when he is played right he can really provide insane amounts of quick silk and monster in no time, even quicker than Wendy. Wigfrid is far above all other characters.

Of course some of those characters can be way more useful when closely cooperate with certain other characters like WX-78, Wickerbottom and Maxwell.

About the wimpy form part. If you shove all your food instantly into your mouth and don't look for more, that's correct. But where's Wigfrid really needs a crock pot to get the big hunger fillers, Wolfgang is an omnivore. Anything goes. Punch butterflies, gather berry bushes, carrots if you want, kill frogs, cook birchnuts, cook cactus flesh, etc. etc. etc.

Also it is not advised. From exprience, keeping Wolf in his medium form is not too hard, and while I never checked if it has any benefits over Wilson, it's much better than the wimpy form and not hard to maintain.

It is not the best armor. It is a mid tier between Football and Crown. Shelmet is great too but unreliable. While thulecite is harder to renew(Unless you regen the caves, which imo, ever since singleplayer even, always is more fun), the crown is undeniably better. It does the same job with a chance for free light and temporary 100% protection.

Unnecessary overkill means more damage for what does need it though. And that doesn't end with bosses. Wanna farm some mobs? Wolfgang's gonna do it faster than Wigfrid overall, even if he'll only do 1 hit less. Besides, speed and the ability to make use out of what Wigfrid can't.

I'm not even touching the charcter ranking, if I would, I would be here for the entire year.

About the wimpy form part. If you shove all your food instantly into your mouth and don't look for more, that's correct. But where's Wigfrid really needs a crock pot to get the big hunger fillers, Wolfgang is an omnivore. Anything goes. Punch butterflies, gather berry bushes, carrots if you want, kill frogs, cook birchnuts, cook cactus flesh, etc. etc. etc.

You should be whimpy when you are doing base management activities. You go mighty when exploring/fighting. Otherwise you literally just throwing food away for no reason.

It is not the best armor. It is a mid tier between Football and Crown. Shelmet is great too but unreliable. While thulecite is harder to renew(Unless you regen the caves, which imo, ever since singleplayer even, always is more fun), the crown is undeniably better. It does the same job with a chance for free light and temporary 100% protection.

Crown is better stat-wise but it's unreliable. Battle Helms you can spam. I would rather have twenty 7/10 helmets than one 10/10.

Unnecessary overkill means more damage for what does need it though. And that doesn't end with bosses. Wanna farm some mobs? Wolfgang's gonna do it faster than Wigfrid overall, even if he'll only do 1 hit less. Besides, speed and the ability to make use out of what Wigfrid can't.

He will do it a little bit faster, at cost of consuming twice as much food as any other character through the entire game. The question is if it's worth it, my answer is definately no. I am hoarder so even if I have stuff literally raining on me, I hate wasting it or being uneffective with it. Wolfgang is very uneffective. Send him and Wigfrid on 10minute trip to kill Koala* (or any other monster) with same amount of stockpiled food, he will come back with way less total food than Wigfrid. Few seconds that get gets for killing it quicker won't make up for food he consumed.

And it's not just matter of being faster at killing things, there is plenty of other factors going along with Wolfgang and Wigfrid perks. Wig has tons of positive perks, Wolfgang only has two and big drawback.

I'm not even touching the charcter ranking, if I would, I would be here for the entire year.

I feel ya. :p

*Before anyone starts shouting "OMG KOALA DOES NOT TAKE 10MINUTES TO FIND AND KILL" yes of course, this is just example..

33 minutes ago, FTR said:

You should be whimpy when you are doing base management activities. You go mighty when exploring/fighting. Otherwise you literally just throwing food away for no reason.

Crown is better stat-wise but it's unreliable. Battle Helms you can spam. I would rather have twenty 7/10 helmets than one 10/10.

He will do it a little bit faster, at cost of consuming twice as much food as any other character through the entire game. The question is if it's worth it, my answer is definately no. I am hoarder so even if I have stuff literally raining on me, I hate wasting it or being uneffective with it. Wolfgang is very uneffective. Send him and Wigfrid on 10minute trip to kill Koala* (or any other monster) with same amount of stockpiled food, he will come back with way less total food than Wigfrid. Few seconds that get gets for killing it quicker won't make up for food he consumed.

And it's not just matter of being faster at killing things, there is plenty of other factors going along with Wolfgang and Wigfrid perks. Wig has tons of positive perks, Wolfgang only has two and big drawback.

I feel ya. :p

*Before anyone starts shouting "OMG KOALA DOES NOT TAKE 10MINUTES TO FIND AND KILL" yes of course, this is just example..

We're not going to reach anything in the first 2 arguments and already dealt our hands so I will ignore those.

That will not be twice. I'm not one to do the math, but it takes so much less to feed Mighty Wolfgang. Or just honey(which Wigfrid can't even eat) and or a belt of hunger(Hell, even a Funcap), and you can stay mighty for so long. Not to mention, Wolfgang, even if he uses up some food, if he does his job well, comes back with quite a lot more food than he even took in first place. Wolfgang has 2 BIG positive perks. Wig has a few small ones. Life steal is cool but it's unreliable/grindy, the damage boost is not too affecting on most things, helms are good, spears are not really. Wolfgang gets high speed and high damage alongside a way to make staying in that position not amazingly easy(Still not too hard tho).

Also pls don't kill Koala. Koala just wants to have a conversation with you. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

That will not be twice. I'm not one to do the math, but it takes so much less to feed Mighty Wolfgang.

Wolfgang's hunger decreases at rate x3 when he is nearly full, and you wanna be nearly full if you want to fully achieve his famous x2 damage and +25% speed modifiers. So I would say it actually takes more to feed mighty Wolfgang than this.

Or just honey(which Wigfrid can't even eat) and or a belt of hunger(Hell, even a Funcap), and you can stay mighty for so long.

Are you eating raw honey? Not sure what do you mean here, but Wigfrid can eat honey based meals perfectly fine.

Belt of hunger - been there, tried that. Unfortunately getting rid of backpack is extremly painful so this is not an option.

Wolfgang has 2 BIG positive perks.

Two medicore perks* I already explained why in my earlier posts. If he would keep full bonus at anywhere between 225 and 300 hunger his perks would be way better.

Wig has a few small ones. Life steal is cool but it's unreliable/grindy, the damage boost is not too affecting on most things

Lifesteal, 25% damage bonus and 25% damage reduction, starting fully equipped, being able to craft more reliable helm and amazing cost to efficiency weapon in the game are not small perks. Life steal is amazing because you can heal yourself for free for example when kiting spiders, you can play Wigfrid without need of any healing items - ever. Damage boost is affecting in the same way as Wolfgangs damage boost so not sure how can you claim one has effect and the other one does not. It's just a little smaller. Wigfrids damage boost 1.25x at all time, Wolfgang's damage boost 1.25x to 2x between 225 and 300 Hunger. Wolfgang at his best has 38% better damage than Wigfrid at all time, and that's all he has. Wig has so much more than that.

spears are not really

Battle Spear is amazing, most reliable craftable weapon.. The only reasonable alternatives are hambat, tentacle spikes and dark sword. Hambat is a waste for regular monsters, tentacle spike is uncraftable and it's also kinda waste to use it for regular monsters.

Personally I always equip regular spear when fighting spiders to conserve durability of my better weapons, because it's kinda waste to use them on petty spiders. Wigfrids spear is best replacement for that because it's 2nd cheapest weapon to craft.

2 hours ago, FTR said:

Pigskin isnt hard, you'll definitely be flooded with it late game, in early game you can just hammer houses. This is a weak wigfid advantage campared to wolfgang's advantages.

2 hours ago, FTR said:

Wolfgang will do the job AT LEAST 2 times faster. How better gang is EXPONENTIALLY increases as the size of the group inceases. Take this for example of fighting a large group of spiders. gang(1 hit 1.25 speed) can kill 3 spiders each kite over wig(2 hit) 1 spider. Since gang have less spiders to kite he kite less frequently.

8 minutes ago, Begeesy said:

Pigskin isnt hard, you'll definitely be flooded with it late game, in early game you can just hammer houses. This is a weak wigfid advantage campared to wolfgang's advantages.

It was already explained why Battle Helm is way superior and it's not just pig skin, it's also durability. Hammering houses and relying on non-renewable resources is not the wisest either. I usually only hammer houses that possibly won't have any use in future, like the ones near spider dens.

Wolfgang will do the job AT LEAST 2 times faster. How better gang is EXPONENTIALLY increases as the size of the group inceases. Take this for example of fighting a large group of spiders. gang(1 hit 1.25 speed) can kill 3 spiders each kite over wig(2 hit) 1 spider. Since gang have less spiders to kite he kite less frequently.

The very act of killing - yes. The whole process of getting kill - no.

You don't take into account time needed to get food to go mighty, time to get to the your target (Wolfgang will do that faster, yes, not twice tho.), time to collect loot, time to go back. Stuff/Time needed to recover lost sanity, because Wolfgang loses it quicker. There is a lot of variables and simplifying it like that is not wise nor fair.

Archived