Maxwell codex umbra upgrade

13 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Why the heck do you keep saying Maxwell is bad at cvaluable's just as good as any of the other non-combat characters, maybe even a bit better because of his ability to nullify the night armor's drawback.

You seem to be forgetting that Maxwell only has 75 health. So unless you dodge every enemy attack perfectly, you have half as much survivability as most of the other characters. Also, it's not that hard to compensate for the Night Armor's penalty by only wearing it when you need the protection. And you can just carry around some cooked cactus flesh or cooked green caps. Sanity management is quite easy, I don't understand why people keep making a big deal out of it. And if he is actually good in combat, then that might mean he actually needs nerfing, not buffing like you are suggesting. Again, Maxwell is already a decent character.

6 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

You seem to be forgetting that Maxwell only has 75 health. So unless you dodge every enemy attack perfectly, you have half as much survivability as most of the other characters. Also, it's not that hard to compensate for the Night Armor's penalty by only wearing it when you need the protection. And you can just carry around some cooked cactus flesh or cooked green caps. Sanity management is quite easy, I don't understand why people keep making a big deal out of it. And if he is actually good in combat, then that might mean he actually needs nerfing, not buffing like you are suggesting. Again, Maxwell is already a decent character.

Trust me, as a Maxwell main, I'm not forgetting about his 75 health. But again, he can get away with using an armor that has 95% protection compared to the 80% of the log suit or battle helmet that's pretty standard for most other characters. So his survivability is actually not as bad as you might think.

And his duelist puppets really do need a buff. They're garbage. The duelists do take out a nice chunk of his max sanity, so that means less time using the night armor or dark sword, especially if you're fighting something with an insanity aura. I don't think it would be too overpowered by making his duelists actually able to take a hit. Their damage is only slightly above a spear and their attack period is pretty long due to them kiting like pigs. I just want this duelists to actually be usable. Right now their only good use is for staying insane.

7 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

And his duelist puppets really do need a buff. They're garbage. The duelists do take out a nice chunk of his max sanity, so that means less time using the night armor or dark sword, especially if you're fighting something with an insanity aura. I don't think it would be too overpowered by making his duelists actually able to take a hit. Their damage is only slightly above a spear and their attack period is pretty long due to them kiting like pigs. I just want this duelists to actually be usable. Right now their only good use is for staying insane.

You can also use them for butterfly farming, rabbit killing, and I think the Dfly doesn't target them so good for her if you've donald trumped her babies out.

Am I to assume that Klei don't think maxwell needs a buff. I'm not complainig but I think this is my 2nd maxwell needs a buff related post and I don't think anything came of the last one. 

:(  I'll just sit here and cry as I use nightmare fuel to create an ally with the kiting intelligence of a brick and the strength of cardboard that has been marinated in Pepsi for a day. 

5 hours ago, HamBatter said:

Change Duelist recipe to x4 Nightmare Fuel.

Ta-da! Dispensable damage like Webber, but doesn't eat the food.

Increasing the cost of the duelist isn't really gonna change much. They need a buff, not a nerf. They're already at the point of uselessness.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Increasing the cost of the duelist isn't really gonna change much. They need a buff, not a nerf. They're already at the point of uselessness.

You are asking for a temporary >2x damage modifier at a relatively low cost. They should add more useful/annoying mid-tier mobs rather than making Duelists viable against bosses.

DS Maxwell was rebalanced for a reason. Having the tool requirement is supposed to slow you down, as you have to craft the tool (2 steps) before summoning the puppet. Sure you can craft ahead of time, but that eats up your inventory space.

With 4 Nightmare Fuel, the cost is comparable to Blow Darts, but more accessible and all in one place.

8 minutes ago, HamBatter said:

You are asking for a temporary >2x damage modifier at a relatively low cost. They should add more useful/annoying mid-tier mobs rather than making Duelists viable against bosses.

DS Maxwell was rebalanced for a reason. Having the tool requirement is supposed to slow you down, as you have to craft the tool (2 steps) before summoning the puppet. Sure you can craft ahead of time, but that eats up your inventory space.

With 4 Nightmare Fuel, the cost is comparable to Blow Darts, but more accessible and all in one place.

All I want is the ability to equip armor on them. Their damage is only 40. That's only slightly better then a spear. And because of their kiting behavior they'll have a lot less of a damage output then a normal player would. I'm fine with their low dps. However I'm not fine with their low dps AND almost non-existent survivability.

Increasing the cost of the duelists will only make them even worse then they currently are. Spending 4 fuel and a nice chunk of sanity on something that will just die in 1 or 2 hits is just not worth it. That fuel and sanity would be much better spent on a simple dark sword.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

All I want is the ability to equip armor on them. Their damage is only 40. That's only slightly better then a spear. And because of their kiting behavior they'll have a lot less of a damage output then a normal player would. I'm fine with their low dps. However I'm not fine with their low dps AND almost non-existent survivability.

Increasing the cost of the duelists will only make them even worse then they currently are. Spending 4 fuel and a nice chunk of sanity on something that will just die in 1 or 2 hits is just not worth it. That fuel and sanity would be much better spent on a simple dark sword.

Yeah as a play maxwell more and more I'm going to agree with equiping armor but at the same time I don't want it to be to much so that they don't become another version of you but armor would be really nice the only thing I use duelist for at the moment are for rabbits, going insane or as a roadblock or for mob lockdowns and one usally dies in the proccess so giving them armor yes though I think I would limt what armor they could wear.

4 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Yeah as a play maxwell more and more I'm going to agree with equiping armor but at the same time I don't want it to be to much so that they don't become another version of you but armor would be really nice the only thing I use duelist for at the moment are for rabbits, going insane or as a roadblock or for mob lockdowns and one usally dies in the proccess so giving them armor yes though I think I would limt what armor they could wear.

I don't think it would be too bad. Their kiting isn't all that great so chances are they'll get hit rather frequently. So the duelists would likely burn through any armor you give them rather quickly. And trying to re-equip them in the middle of a fight likely isn't gonna happen. So if their armor breaks mid-fight then that puppet is likely done for.

Because they'll likely break armor a lot faster then a normal player would I don't see many people willing to waste a lot of resources equipping them with night armor or thulecite often. Well, not unless you have a lot of valuable resources to burn through. I know just farming fuel and reeds to keep myself stocked on night armor is annoying enough. Chances are the duelists will just get some log suits or battle helmets most of the time.

The rebalance mod had puppets that can equip helmets and change the tools makes them change purpose.

Although its a cool rework i think the duelists need one simple change: they should have a base 50% dmg resistance, and to compensate a higher casting cost of 3 fuel instead of 2. Despite being silly they regenerate health fast and as ive tested before 50% makes them quite tanky. Alternaiely you could have boomerang duelists that deal low damage ranged attack and dont move while attacking. They should cost 3 fuel and a boomerang, have just 75 hp and no dmg reduction like the melee duelists. 

Maxwell should have a max of 2 duelists at any given time no matter if ranged or melee, its still gonna be just 2.

boomerang duelists would be made for easier farming birds and to help with giants, adding some damage without dying immediately. 

Maxwell when despawning any of these duelists should only get 1 fuel of refund making them over all an expensive trade, and maxwell should also start with just 4 fuel to prevent instantly getting 2 duelists.

Archived