Disease as Autumn-specific feature + Disease improvements

Along with my other idea, the compost box, it would be an equivalent to Summer.

Now all seasons would have a specific weather that hinders your progress, but has a counter. - Heat and Fling-O-Matic, Snow and uhh.. Fire., (Winter needs more, really, Rain and Shelter, Disease and Compost.

As for improving Disease, you would need to port Poison from SW.

Rather than Disease killing your things, it gives Diseased <item> - Making tools and stuff with diseased supplies means they get 2/3 the durability. Eating diseased food gives 2/3 it's stats and poisons you (3 days, or cure.)

Digging up the crop will NOT fix Disease, simply giving a diseased Tuft/Sapling/Bush

As Autumn progresses and the temperature gradually drops in the last few days, if you don't keep warm (below normal temperature for extended periods of time) you'll catch a cold (1 day, or cure.)

Cures:

Cough Medicine (cures Cold + takes 1 day off Disease) - 1x Spider Gland, 1x Carrot, 4x Rocks - Carrot-flavoured cough medicine in a stone bottle - Lose 20 sanity when drinking it, due to the awful taste.

Cure-It-All - 1x Healing Salve, 1x Phlegm, 4x Rocks - Cure-It-All in a stone bottle. Can be put into a fling-o-matic to spray your supplies with it, curing disease (if in Warning period, or after.) or can be drunk to cure any poison, and restore 20 health, at the cost of 40 sanity. You're literally drinking Spiders mixed with Snot. Delicious.

Sprinkler - 1 Gear, 2 Electrical Doodads, 4 Marble - A Marble Sprinkler to keep your crops healthy - Waters crops, making them grow 1,5x as fast, and making Disease happen at half the rate.

Medicine Bomb - 1 Phlegm, 4 Mosquito Sacks - 4 Sacks of Snot to throw at your diseased plants.

Medicine Bombs cure diseased plants.

Water Bombs would now make your plants grow one stage when thrown at them, in the radius.

You can put Cure-It-All into the Sprinkler to make it shoot Medicine for 3 days. This will fix any WARNING PHASE plants, and will stop crops growing faster. Players won't get any benefit.

Disease would become much more common, completely ravaging your supplies if you don't keep the Sprinkler fuelled, and Medicine on hand. However, your plants won't die, you'll just get poisoned. A lot, until you fix it with Medicine Bombs.

The Warning Phase would now have a proper visual indication, where the plant begins to wilt and starts to have an aura of flies.

Disease would not happen during the first Autumn.

I still feel you are really missing the entire point of the disease mechanic, which is specifically to destroy your crops and cause you to have to go out and find new sources of materials.  I wouldn't be opposed to second Autumn being the point where disease kicks in, but then it would have to be guaranteed to continue to happen throughout the second (as well as all future) Autumn season.  It would have to work as it currently works in that it destroys your crop.

I cannot agree with compost at all.  It defeats the purpose of the mechanic, which is to shake up your base.  Force you to replace your resources with new ones and start that aspect of your base from scratch.  Compose would eliminate said mechanic as you would just protect your base from disease and not care about plants outside it (which by the way, don't currently get diseased as only player planted ones do).

I'm sorry, but you're just completely missing the point of the mechanic and as such I feel this suggestion is poor.

2 minutes ago, Ecu said:

I still feel you are really missing the entire point of the disease mechanic, which is specifically to destroy your crops and cause you to have to go out and find new sources of materials.  I wouldn't be opposed to second Autumn being the point where disease kicks in, but then it would have to be guaranteed to continue to happen throughout the second (as well as all future) Autumn season.  It would have to work as it currently works in that it destroys your crop.

I cannot agree with compost at all.  It defeats the purpose of the mechanic, which is to shake up your base.  Force you to replace your resources with new ones and start that aspect of your base from scratch.  Compose would eliminate said mechanic as you would just protect your base from disease and not care about plants outside it (which by the way, don't currently get diseased as only player planted ones do).

I'm sorry, but you're just completely missing the point of the mechanic and as such I feel this suggestion is poor.

I still feel you are really missing the entire point of the wildfire mechanic, which is specifically to destroy your base and cause you to have to go out and find new sources of materials.  I wouldn't be opposed to Summer being the point where wildfires kick in, but then it would have to be guaranteed to continue to happen throughout the second (as well as all future) Summer season.  It would have to work as it currently works in that it destroys your base.

I cannot agree with Fling-O-Matics at all.  It defeats the purpose of the mechanic, which is to shake up your base.  Force you to replace your structures with new ones and start that aspect of your base from scratch.  Fling-O-Matics would eliminate said mechanic as you would just protect your base from disease and not care about things outside it.

Sounds stupid right?

Yes it does.

Is it the same type of mechanic?

Yes it is.

Should Disease have a proper cure, and not be digging and replanting 24/7?

Yes it should.

Just now, Vargling said:

I still feel you are really missing the entire point of the wildfire mechanic, which is specifically to destroy your base and cause you to have to go out and find new sources of materials.  I wouldn't be opposed to Summer being the point where wildfires kick in, but then it would have to be guaranteed to continue to happen throughout the second (as well as all future) Summer season.  It would have to work as it currently works in that it destroys your base.

I cannot agree with Fling-O-Matics at all.  It defeats the purpose of the mechanic, which is to shake up your base.  Force you to replace your structures with new ones and start that aspect of your base from scratch.  Fling-O-Matics would eliminate said mechanic as you would just protect your base from disease and not care about things outside it.

Sounds stupid right?

Yes it does.

Is it the same type of mechanic?

Yes it is.

Should Disease have a proper cure, and not be digging and replanting 24/7?

Yes it should.

Actually incorrect, the wildfire mechanic will indeed destroy your base...if you do not protect it.  Instead, wildfire represents a mechanic to ensure that you have enough protected materials to survive as the outside materials may burn to the ground.  Combined with disease as it is, it could potentially result in all berries, grass, and twigs on the map being destroyed...but as it won't stop tumbleweeds from spawning and as such you'll always be able to get grass and twigs...and berries aren't needed.

So in a sense the wildfire mechanic is to reduce the size of one's base, as you can only keep alive as much base area as you can effectively cover with fling-o-matics.  This is a progressed approach.  First you must make sure your base fits nicely within lightning rods.  As they are cheap, this isn't a huge problem, but it is the first tier of restriction.  Then, you have to progress to fling-o-matics, potentially reducing the area you can keep safe even further.  Sure, if you have a long running server...it is pretty easy to keep a large base protected, as you have probably gotten a few gears over time.  However, during normal play...this forces the player to keep a small base as requiring enough gears can be a challenge.

Disease, on the other hand, is a shake up mechanic.  Instead of working like wildfires, which restrict your base, it guts your base.  The idea is to get you out looking for new food and resource sources.  Honestly though, I've never had a problem with disease.  It is way too easy to survive without even planting grass/twigs...that disease is pretty easy to ignore.

Just now, Ecu said:

Actually incorrect, the wildfire mechanic will indeed destroy your base...if you do not protect it.  Instead, wildfire represents a mechanic to ensure that you have enough protected materials to survive as the outside materials may burn to the ground.  Combined with disease as it is, it could potentially result in all berries, grass, and twigs on the map being destroyed...but as it won't stop tumbleweeds from spawning and as such you'll always be able to get grass and twigs...and berries aren't needed.

So in a sense the wildfire mechanic is to reduce the size of one's base, as you can only keep alive as much base area as you can effectively cover with fling-o-matics.  This is a progressed approach.  First you must make sure your base fits nicely within lightning rods.  As they are cheap, this isn't a huge problem, but it is the first tier of restriction.  Then, you have to progress to fling-o-matics, potentially reducing the area you can keep safe even further.  Sure, if you have a long running server...it is pretty easy to keep a large base protected, as you have probably gotten a few gears over time.  However, during normal play...this forces the player to keep a small base as requiring enough gears can be a challenge.

Disease, on the other hand, is a shake up mechanic.  Instead of working like wildfires, which restrict your base, it guts your base.  The idea is to get you out looking for new food and resource sources.  Honestly though, I've never had a problem with disease.  It is way too easy to survive without even planting grass/twigs...that disease is pretty easy to ignore.

Allow me to re-jig the solution. Give me a sec.

11 minutes ago, Ecu said:

Updated. - How about now? Once Disease has happened, it's worse than just killing your plants, but the warning phase is now more obvious, and can be cured with a Sprinkler full of Medicine.

Just now, Vargling said:

Updated. - How about now? Once Disease has happened, it's worse than just killing your plants, but the warning phase is now more obvious, and can be cured with a Sprinkler full of Medicine.

I honestly don't care how you change the idea, I will disagree with any method of curing disease, or reducing it's effectiveness.  The entire purpose of it is to destroy crops in your base unless you are very lucky and catch it and even then you can only save those that aren't diseased.

So I'm going to continue to disagree with this suggestion on that principal.  I appreciate the disease mechanic, honestly, as it creates new reasons to go out and explore to gather stuff.  Instead of just spending time to gather what you need and holing up in a base.  DST isn't base simulator 9000, it is a roguelike survival game and as such a game...this suggestion doesn't fit in my opinion.

I would say that the only way I could really feel that a disease free plant could be done is essentially akin to allowing people to planting grass, twigs, and/or berries in a farm plot.  This would make them quite time consuming to create, require additional fling-o-matics to keep safe, and would only keep a single plant disease free per plot.  However, I personally feel the purpose of farm plots is generating food and it still does not feel appropriate to plant berries/grass/twigs there.

Just now, Ecu said:

I honestly don't care how you change the idea, I will disagree with any method of curing disease, or reducing it's effectiveness.  The entire purpose of it is to destroy crops in your base unless you are very lucky and catch it and even then you can only save those that aren't diseased.

So I'm going to continue to disagree with this suggestion on that principal.  I appreciate the disease mechanic, honestly, as it creates new reasons to go out and explore to gather stuff.  Instead of just spending time to gather what you need and holing up in a base.  DST isn't base simulator 9000, it is a roguelike survival game and as such a game...this suggestion doesn't fit in my opinion.

I would say that the only way I could really feel that a disease free plant could be done is essentially akin to allowing people to planting grass, twigs, and/or berries in a farm plot.  This would make them quite time consuming to create, require additional fling-o-matics to keep safe, and would only keep a single plant disease free per plot.  However, I personally feel the purpose of farm plots is generating food and it still does not feel appropriate to plant berries/grass/twigs there.

This is... massively increasing it's effectiveness, by making it not kill your stuff, but ruin it, and requiring a lot more to fix than dig and replant. If you're calling this making it less effective, you're probably a troll...

Just now, Vargling said:

This is... massively increasing it's effectiveness, by making it not kill your stuff, but ruin it, and requiring a lot more to fix than dig and replant. If you're calling this making it less effective, you're probably a troll...

No, I'm not being a troll.  I disagree with the idea of being able to keep your twig plants, grass plants, and berry plants safe.  The mechanic, as it is, works exactly as it was intended to...and the way this suggestion comes off is that you are trying to keep a pretty base, expecting to do so forever.  Which, from my viewpoint, is not the intent of DST.  In my opinion, if you desire that kind of gameplay...you should not be playing DST and instead DS, where you do indeed keep more of a long term base.

Just now, Ecu said:

No, I'm not being a troll.  I disagree with the idea of being able to keep your twig plants, grass plants, and berry plants safe.  The mechanic, as it is, works exactly as it was intended to...and the way this suggestion comes off is that you are trying to keep a pretty base, expecting to do so forever.  Which, from my viewpoint, is not the intent of DST.  In my opinion, if you desire that kind of gameplay...you should not be playing DST and instead DS, where you do indeed keep more of a long term base.

How is it keeping it safe? You have to constantly check them and make expensive medicine and bombs.

Digging it and replanting it in two clicks at the cost of what, 1 flint 1 twig for 100 saved plants? - That's working as it was intended to? Please, just leave if you're here to repeat the same stuff with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Just now, Vargling said:

How is it keeping it safe? You have to constantly check them and make expensive medicine and bombs.

Digging it and replanting it in two clicks at the cost of what, 1 flint 1 twig for 100 saved plants? - That's working as it was intended to? Please, just leave if you're here to repeat the same stuff with absolutely nothing to back it up.

It is keeping it from being destroyed...which is the intent of the mechanic initially.  Basically to catch you off guard and costing you all your crops.  Your method allows crops to be kept functional which goes against what the mechanic was designed for (from my viewpoint).  How many times do I have to repeat myself before you understand my perspective?

I do not support reducing the damage to your base that disease does.  Hell, I personally support disease spreading to crops and trees even, as I feel it would be good to keep people on their toes.  The entire design of roguelike games is to eventually lose, with the journey and how far you managed to go being the fun aspect of the game.  Slowly adding more and more challenges to strive and survive is the exact kind of thing I want to see in the game...and the existing disease system adds exactly that.  I want MORE challenge, not less.

2 minutes ago, Ecu said:

It is keeping it from being destroyed...which is the intent of the mechanic initially.  Basically to catch you off guard and costing you all your crops.  Your method allows crops to be kept functional which goes against what the mechanic was designed for (from my viewpoint).  How many times do I have to repeat myself before you understand my perspective?

I do not support reducing the damage to your base that disease does.  Hell, I personally support disease spreading to crops and trees even, as I feel it would be good to keep people on their toes.  The entire design of roguelike games is to eventually lose, with the journey and how far you managed to go being the fun aspect of the game.  Slowly adding more and more challenges to strive and survive is the exact kind of thing I want to see in the game...and the existing disease system adds exactly that.  I want MORE challenge, not less.

Catching you off guard so you have to craft one shovel. How is fixing it earlier at a MUCH MUCH higher cost easier? You're just becoming a pain now, just accept that this makes it harder, not easier, if you bothered to READ THE POST. Yes, Roguelike is to lose. Congratulations. That's why it takes so much to do this, rather than FLINT AND A STICK.

Just now, Vargling said:

Catching you off guard so you have to craft one shovel. How is fixing it earlier at a MUCH MUCH higher cost easier? You're just becoming a pain now, just accept that this makes it harder, not easier, if you bothered to READ THE POST. Yes, Roguelike is to lose. Congratulations. That's why it takes so much to do this, rather than FLINT AND A STICK.

Except that doesn't make it harder.  I'm sorry, it doesn't.  In many cases, crops won't be constantly watched and maintained to make sure no disease happens.  This means that when you come back to your base, you may find all them diseased and useless.  Under your system, the worst that happens is the resources aren't quite as useful.  The end result is that under your system, resources wouldn't be destroyed...while under the current system they will be.  Destroyed is worse than weakened.

Yes, the current system is easier to maintain...provided you catch it and are able to get rid of all the infected plants before it spreads.  If you don't catch it, you lose everything.  That is the kind of mechanic that is iconic to roguelike games.  If you don't like it...mod it out, but such a change isn't one that I feel has a place in the base game.

2 minutes ago, Ecu said:

Except that doesn't make it harder.  I'm sorry, it doesn't.  In many cases, crops won't be constantly watched and maintained to make sure no disease happens.  This means that when you come back to your base, you may find all them diseased and useless.  Under your system, the worst that happens is the resources aren't quite as useful.  The end result is that under your system, resources wouldn't be destroyed...while under the current system they will be.  Destroyed is worse than weakened.

Yes, the current system is easier to maintain...provided you catch it and are able to get rid of all the infected plants before it spreads.  If you don't catch it, you lose everything.  That is the kind of mechanic that is iconic to roguelike games.  If you don't like it...mod it out, but such a change isn't one that I feel has a place in the base game.

No they won't under the current system. They'll just be dug up and replanted. They take too long to die in the current system for that to be an issue, so honestly, quit kidding yourself.

This system is a lot harder to maintain, the point about catching and killing those plants is nil, and you don't lose everything. Just make a shovel, like I said, literally takes 2 basic supplies to save millions.

@Vargling I see no reason for an automated machine that keeps disease checked for you. Yes, you do get resources for it, but iit basically works like flingomatics and with you suggesting the disease to be very quick/season specific would just be another flingomatic type of an inconvenience. Also, in concept most of your ideas don't seem that creative. Just taking something from irl and plopping it in the game isn't how you do things. Take the science machine for instance... such a thing doesn't exist in reality. But it's a creative game concept for a machine which lets you craft resources into something more useful, which in particular for this game fits well. It seems as if you're pushing ideas, which aren't that well-thought of (considering how quickly you changed your suggestions to something else) 

25 minutes ago, Ecu said:

Didn't you state that its intention is to keep you getting more out of the base and doing more work outside of it even later on in the game? With this you're implying that it's meant to keep you re-building your base instead. So, which is it? Or is it both? Preventing disease doesn't wreck your plants within base at the moment unless you keep an eye on them anyway, so I would focus more on the former than the latter in its prevention. Medicine Bomb is a concept which Vargling took from my idea of Snot Bombs, which I believe I have suggested somewhere before. The idea behind them is for you to get out more and follow tracks (suspicious dirt piles). This would need to be done if you want your current or future diseasing crops saved, as Snot Bombs would require phlegm in their recipe. You could craft a few, which would work kind of like water balloons, except that instead of water, it splashes phlegm and all the plants that have been splattered with it would have their disease time extended. In short:

* Go out to track/hunt down more koalefants/vargs/ewecus, particularly aiming for ewecus

* Brings in more cooperative combat/requiring help from follower mobs to gather phlegm, which would help in preventing/curing disease

I also think it would be wise if when you dig up a Diseased plant, instead of rot, you get a diseased variant from it. Currently, digging up some diseased plants or plants, which are soon to disease is pretty easy to deal with if you keep harvesting crops. With snot bomb, not only will we have a use for phlegm, but disease would become quite game-changing.

7 minutes ago, Ecu said:

Except that doesn't make it harder.  I'm sorry, it doesn't.  In many cases, crops won't be constantly watched and maintained to make sure no disease happens.  This means that when you come back to your base, you may find all them diseased and useless.

Not exactly... because disease can only start to appear when the plant is within a player's view, you can easily deal with it if you and probably others you play with keep harvesting crops. If you don't harvest them constantly, it's likely you're not even using them that often, so... their purpose in their current mechanics are a bit defeated.

2 minutes ago, Vargling said:

*different opinion*

6 minutes ago, Ecu said:

*different opinion*

ynot make a enemy/boss that can spread disease actively to cured plants when there are too many cured plants in one area? that way, the plants are still at a risk of being destroyed by the disease, but not by much?

Just now, Vargling said:

No they won't under the current system. They'll just be dug up and replanted. They take too long to die in the current system for that to be an issue, so honestly, quit kidding yourself.

This system is a lot harder to maintain, the point about catching and killing those plants is nil, and you don't lose everything. Just make a shovel, like I said, literally takes 2 basic supplies to save millions.

Once they are diseased, actually diseased, if they are dug up you cannot replant them.  The only way you can avoid losing them is if they you notice right away when the character mentions it.  That requires that you are at the base before the disease fully takes hold and also happen to have gathered from it (at least, according to the wiki, as I have never had disease happen and be an issue).

Doesn't matter if your method is more difficult to maintain, to be completely honest.  The idea that current disease can cause you to lose all the plants, and with your disease you will lose none...the current one is a better system for doing what it was designed to do, which is getting you out there to gather new resources.  I personally think it would be great if during every Autumn after the first disease just affected all player planted plants of this type and forced you to completely start over them each year with NO method to save them.  As again, it create gameplay and inhibits you from just sticking around base.

Just now, Ecu said:

Once they are diseased, actually diseased, if they are dug up you cannot replant them.  The only way you can avoid losing them is if they you notice right away when the character mentions it.  That requires that you are at the base before the disease fully takes hold and also happen to have gathered from it (at least, according to the wiki, as I have never had disease happen and be an issue).

Doesn't matter if your method is more difficult to maintain, to be completely honest.  The idea that current disease can cause you to lose all the plants, and with your disease you will lose none...the current one is a better system for doing what it was designed to do, which is getting you out there to gather new resources.  I personally think it would be great if during every Autumn after the first disease just affected all player planted plants of this type and forced you to completely start over them each year with NO method to save them.  As again, it create gameplay and inhibits you from just sticking around base.

With my disease you will lose all of them and the items from them, unless you kill a boss that requires a team, and make a medicine, just to reset the timer before it happens again*

Please, quit trying. Your points are a joke.

1 minute ago, Vargling said:

With my disease you will lose all of them and the items from them, unless you kill a boss that requires a team, and make a medicine, just to reset the timer before it happens again*

Please, quit trying. Your points are a joke.

You don't actually lose them though.  They are just weaker.  I'm sorry but the current method causes the plant to be completely destroyed.  Yours, however, does not.

1 minute ago, The Noon Fish said:

deerclops, bearger, and Goose/Goose were also meant to do this.

are they successful?

not really, just get a crap ton of wolfgangs.

So is there harm in having additional mechanics to try get you out?  Perhaps those creatures should be further improved upon to better offer more challenge regarding survival.  As stated, I am personally more in favor of diseases causing more damage, not less.

2 minutes ago, Ecu said:

You don't actually lose them though.  They are just weaker.  I'm sorry but the current method causes the plant to be completely destroyed.  Yours, however, does not.

Yes, and it being destroyed is completely illogical and stupid. Go home.

You're beginning to get on my nerves because you're so persistent with your stupid points of "Oh, your base should be completely destroyed."

Here's an idea, mod out the Fling-O-Matic and try that. Your base should be completely destroyed, right? Go away, troll.

THIS DOES CAUSE DISEASE TO DO MORE DAMAGE, YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON. IT MAKES IT AN ACTUAL MECHANIC BESIDES "WE'LL KILL YOUR PLANTS IN 7 DAYS USE 1 FLINT MUAHAHAH"

1 minute ago, The Noon Fish said:

don't you need 2 flint to make a shovel?

Oh, I'm sorry. 1 Flint is such a big deal, clearly a shovel is much more expensive than medicine requiring Salves and Phlegm. - Praise be to Water Balloons, burn the Heretic Flingomatic

Just now, Vargling said:

Yes, and it being destroyed is completely illogical and stupid. Go home.

You're beginning to get on my nerves because you're so persistent with your stupid points of "Oh, your base should be completely destroyed."

Here's an idea, mod out the Fling-O-Matic and try that. Your base should be completely destroyed, right? Go away, troll.

Hostile much?  I have stated all along that I have different opinions to you regarding survival game mechanic design.  It is indeed something I am passionate about and spent a significant amount of time conceptualizing designs for.  As such I am merely stating how I see things in regards to DST based on my understanding of the intent of the game.  Don't like it, that's fine.  You are welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine.

That said, your arguments for your side just aren't too good from my viewpoint.  Saying it is illogical and stupid doesn't lend anything to your argument.  Why is it illogical?  In a roguelike you are expected to lose, and as such, losing aspects of your game should be rather expected.

As for the comment about fling-o-matic, you've mentioned this multiple time and while I've already explained how it is designed to give a different form of restriction to your base, you don't seem to understand and/or accept this.  Which again, is fine.  However, I see no point in continue arguing with you on this.

I think this idea is a poor one for the game.  This is my opinion.  From my perspective, I actually think disease should be more lethal and do like the idea of it being an Autumn thing (only happening after the first one), so that it forces you to forage for resources through Autumn (as replanting would just cause them to get the disease again) and really only be able to harvest such through spring/summer, before continuing the cycle.  Perhaps this could be toned down to only wipe all player plants at the beginning of Autumn, to allow for replanting during the season still...not really decided.

Archived