The Dastardly Set Peice

So this is a tale from long ago. Back when me and my friend were in our early stages of DST.

It all began with a world that I had named "Pirates of the Pancreas" (anyone get that reference?) My friend and I had split up to explore a place to setup camp. The world was looking pretty good, with a pig village and some clockworks. I found a savannah and decided to look for beefalo. In my early stages of DST beefalo were the best thing ever. They would protect us, and give us wool to make clothing. We would always setup base near beefalo, no matter what. So I found a small herd and decided to look for an open place to make a fire pit. Soon enough I encountered a large structure, a set piece. This was the beefalo ranch one (Pictures at the end). As a noob who had not even made it through winter yet, this was the holy grail. Strong walls for defense, and i had already started building things inside of it. Removing all the junk inside it was difficult, but I managed to clear everything out. I had a science machine, chest, and a wardrobe. I was going to go get rocks to build a fire pit, until I saw the message "The hounds are baying". Instinctively, I ran to the beefalo. When I got there, I had already been damaged by the hounds quite a bit, until I was at only 20 health. It was fine though, as the beefalo had killed all the hounds. So I ran back to my fortress and discovered something quite strange. My orientation had been in a place where the wood walls covered a sneaky chest at the entrance. I didn't think this could get any better, a chest with valuable loot too? I ran over to the chest in excitement, wondering what things I would find in it. When I opened it, something unexpected happened. It exploded into a flaming mess. I panicked and rushed to put out the smoldering walls of my mighty fortress. The fire got to me, and killed me. And there I was, a noob who was forced to watch his fortress, along with all of his items burn in front of him.

In another world, i had found this structure again. Determined to not be fooled by the chest again, i had an idea. Simply just break the chest with a hammer. I was so confident, thinking i was the smartest lad around. Long story short, I wasn't the smartest lad around. Once again, it exploded into flames and burnt everything down, leaving me to look like a fool in front of my friends. Again, I will try to outsmart this chest, as I found it in my main world.

Picture of the set piece:

0872847C40809436B750D3B15AA573527F1D63C7

4 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

Is this setpiece bugged? Twice, I just opened the chest out of boredom and I was able to get everything in it without it all burning up. Some gunpowder, a fire staff, and some logs. I didn't quickly grab the gunpowder either.

I think there's a chance the chest won't explode if you open it. I seem to recall opening that same set piece chest in a single payer game and it didn't blow up in my face either. 

Yeah, I think there's always a chance. I remember one time I ran across the winter setpiece on like, Day 1 (in Together) went "YOLO!" and opened the chest and fridge. 

Nothing happened and we had a free icebox on the very. First. Day.  :D  It's almost too bad those setpieces aren't in Together anymore, although I do get why.

(On the other hand, there's the time I and Woodie were hunting a WINTER koalephant and suddenly the lighting got all...reddish...and ominous...and we had to move to the caves to avoid overheating!  Sometimes you get the Bearger, sometimes the Bearger stomps your entire camp in the process of getting all your food.)

...Notorious

6 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

It's almost too bad those setpieces aren't in Together anymore, although I do get why.

No, they are. They just don't spawn too often. The live branch has nice mods like @Serpens's Increase Animals. Still waiting for ANR to become compatible with worldgen mods.

Coming back to setpieces in DST, you can get all kinds, I think. I remember a miner's camp, queens' gathering, fire staff trap, ice staff trap, winter trap, summer trap, tentacle trap and Maxwell's tentacle-merm graveyard.

Really?  I seem to remember a specific post/topic thread talking about how the seasonal ones, specifically, were taken out because it was too easy for one player to mess up everybody else with them.  Especially the summer one with complete newbies, 'cos heck, RoG style summer knocks even VETERANS for a loop sometimes.

I do understand that the OTHER setpieces are mostly still around, but I remember a whole topic thread or at least several comments about how the winter/summer ones were taken out in an update months ago.

EDIT:  About the original post--I, too, appreciate how a freaking WARDROBE was one of the very first priorities.  Dang.  I thought _I_ was frivolously decorate-y by making a pitchfork and grabbing marble flooring from the statue areas as early as I saw it, but wow!  This takes the cake.  In a good way.  :)

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Really?  I seem to remember a specific post/topic thread talking about how the seasonal ones, specifically, were taken out because it was too easy for one player to mess up everybody else with them.  Especially the summer one with complete newbies, 'cos heck, RoG style summer knocks even VETERANS for a loop sometimes.

I do understand that the OTHER setpieces are mostly still around, but I remember a whole topic thread or at least several comments about how the winter/summer ones were taken out in an update months ago.

EDIT:  About the original post--I, too, appreciate how a freaking WARDROBE was one of the very first priorities.  Dang.  I thought _I_ was frivolously decorate-y by making a pitchfork and grabbing marble flooring from the statue areas as early as I saw it, but wow!  This takes the cake.  In a good way.  :)

...Notorious

4 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

Don't quote me on that one, but I think they just decreased the chance. I mean, I love all setpieces. They add to the "God giveth, God taketh" element of the game.

(My technically very genre-savvy teammates once started winter before the first half of the first week.)

PS About decorating, I amused myself with building a garden - mostly through the console since I wanted marble pillars and such - on Milord's Mansion with @MeingroessterFan.

On 27.10.2016 at 4:37 AM, Pyr0mrcow said:

Anyway, isn't the Beefalo Pen trap disarmed once you take out the fire staff?

each trap chest has a 60% chance to trigger. It does not matter if you take something out or not.
If this specific trap is triggered it will spawn more gunpowder and houndfire.

Archived