DST Club help.

Hello all! I am creating a Don't Starve Together club at my school. We are short a few copies, but we're getting around to getting more. I have never set up a private server in DST before so I'm needing some tips and/or tricks in order to get things running smoothly. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Welcome, young one!

I'm sure there will be plenty of people eager to help you. Yours truly, for one, is. I run a bunch of servers for my little private group, so I hope to be of use. There are questions to be answered first... What is the goal of the club? What are the specs of the machine which will host the server? What do you want to do and with how many people?

We shall start with that :). Hope to hear from you soon!

The goal of the club is to play DST, introduce people to it, and have fun! The specs are a bit harder to find as 1) They're school computers so I have no way of finding out. (The tech guys are never here), The only things I really know about them is that they can run a Minecraft server with 23 people on it and run smoothly, and that they run Windows 7. And I'm pretty sure only about 5-6 people will want to play, but if more people want to play, we'll get around to that when it comes!

1 hour ago, Tailsdoll114 said:

The goal of the club is to play DST, introduce people to it, and have fun! The specs are a bit harder to find as 1) They're school computers so I have no way of finding out. (The tech guys are never here), The only things I really know about them is that they can run a Minecraft server with 23 people on it and run smoothly, and that they run Windows 7. And I'm pretty sure only about 5-6 people will want to play, but if more people want to play, we'll get around to that when it comes!

Okay, I see.

Is there a way for a student of your school to gain access to the read-only side of the control panel?

We can expand server slots directly through the LUA, but if you need no more than six people at a time, you don't have to change that since this is the default value.

Generally, I'm most interested in how much CPU and RAM the computers have. The more, the merrier, obviously. For smooth hosting of multi-sharded servers, I get 60 FPS as the average (!) on a Lenovo Y580, so 16 GB RAM and 2.40 CPU, with two shards (the overworld and the caves) and 22 slots. On the Y700 with twice as much RAM and 2.60 CPU, I can up the slots even more (though there's not much in terms of reasoning behind it since there's a precarious threshold of the number of players becoming uncontrollable). On the other hand I shan't strain Y530 (8 GB RAM) with more than 6 players. You would have to run tests.

Another question to ponder is whether you want a dedicated server or not. I'd actually advise against it, because there have been numerous reports of griefers assaulting dedis in the past, very recent too. Generally nothing beats an actual admin on board and hosted servers on a strong machine are no longer inferior to dedis.

Do you want to have caves as well?

58 minutes ago, Tailsdoll114 said:

Scratch that. They use Windows 10 and Steam is blocked. We might be getting an Administrator account to bypass the SonicWall, but in case we can't, are there any other legitimate ways of downloading Don't Starve Together?

Ah... On a PC, you'll NEED to unblock Steam. Otherwise you can only get some of the supported consoles. Or (shudders) Tencent.

21 hours ago, Tailsdoll114 said:

We can't even access the control panel. Everything is locked by administrative stuff

Damn. Just how are you supposed to learn if they lock you out of everything? I'm so sorry. Just why don't you ditch the idea of doing this at school and set it up privately? Looks like it would be much easier for you.

11 minutes ago, Tailsdoll114 said:

We're getting an administrative account! We won't need to worry about locked stuff!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Then, we'll be able to get to the gritty bits. Just call :D

PS If you have Steam and/or Discord, you could catch me on my phone too.

Archived