Can't launch Mark Of The Ninja from Steam

Izzardius

Hi guys, I just bought Mark Of The Ninja on Steam and can;t wait to play it. However, the game will not even launch for me. When I click the play button, I get a error popup that says "Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed)". Steam is very much running, and I have tried restarting Steam multiple times. Any ideas?Thanks

• MOTD

Hey, couple questions for you to try and trouble shoot this.1) How are you launching the game exactly (step by step).2) Have you tried re-downloading / re-installing?3) Are you playing in online or offline mode in steam (it shouldn't matter but just curious).4) Are your other Steam games launching okay?

• MOTD

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to go chat with some of our other team members. In the mean time, can you post (or private message me) your Steam ID. I'm wondering if there's some weird reason that the game isn't tied to your account.

Also, just for giggles...if you could reply here with your system hardware specs. Just in case we need either, we'll have'em.

Here's one solution you can try in the mean time that might help.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7241-EYON-2343

• MOTD

I can't seem to find the link to send you a PM.Deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file didn't work.My system specs:Intel i7 CPU12 GB RAMSapphire Radeon HD 4950 video card

Dang. The link for a private message should be right under my avatar in my profile. If you can't see it, it may be a forum anti-spam setting I'll have to look into. You can also email me it at support[aaaat]kleientertainment[dawwwwt]com

• MOTD

Got your ID! Thanks. One last thing to check...It could possibly be a Steam client issue. Try checking his Steam version and seeing if he has an update, that might fix it.Check to see if you have any Steam updates pending. Also, make sure you are on the newest version number manually. If you are, it would be helpful to attempt re-installing Steam from the latest build on the site just to rule that out.

It says my Steam client is up to date. I don't really want to reinstall Steam since I have so many games currently installed and don;t want to go through that if I don't have to. I'll wait to hear any other possible solutions before I do that. Thanks.

• MOTD

Heya! So.. I have new info on this. We think it might be your Steam client, so a re-install might be inevitable, but before you do that we have a test you can do first to help us see if that's the case.

1) In Windows, navigate an Explorer window to your Steam directory... it should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

If your install path to Steam is not in the default directory, please paste the path to where yours is.

2) Regardless of where your Steam is installed, from inside the folder go to: steamapps\common\mark_of_the_ninja\bin

3) There will be a bunch of .dll files inside this folder. Take the following files out of the directory (Don't delete them, just move them to your desktop or something temporarily.)

tier0_s.dll

vstdlib_s.dll

Steam.dll

steamclient.dll

4) Try and run Mark of the Ninja once those files are not in the directory.

Once you do this, we think the game won't run BUT you won't get the error. That's not ideal, and we'll move onto the next steps of troubleshooting.

Basically, the files I listed should not have anything to do with launching the game. We think that for some reason instead of checking your local Steam install for these .dll files, like it should, it's trying to check this directory and it should not be doing this.

Let me know the results of this test and we'll take it from there. Thanks for being patient with us, we'll hopefully fix this for you Soon!

• MOTD

Hi Corey, I followed your instructions and still got the same error message: "Steam must be running to play this game(SteamAPI_Init() failed)"

Hey Izzardius, thanks for the heads up. I actually just got out of chat with our in-house Steam dev who has been looking into this since you reported it. This exact issue seems to unpredictably occurs over multiple Steam games and seems to be a client side issue with any number of things conflicting with the Steam clients communication.Since there's no way to identify on the developer's side exactly why (no call stack info beyond the error you pasted is given), we can't know for sure.After digging through dozens of other game forums on Steam ranging from AAA titles to indie games where this happens, we've not been able to find a developer that was able to fix it from their end. That being said, there are people who have fixed this using a variety of community suggested solutions. I'm not sure if you've tried any of these, but this is what we've found has worked for some people. Sometimes people had to do one or more of these.

I know this is kind of cliché tech support stuff (and I'm sure you've already done it), but restarting the computer has fixed this issue for some people.Disable any anti-virus or firewalls.Close all other software running (try off a fresh boot).If you connect using a router, check any built in restrictions / safeguards (if possible try to connect with a direct modem line connection just to test).Check for any software running that could effect your connection. Check for Malware that could manipulate your connection.Re-downloading the game.Re-installing Steam.

We'll continue looking at solutions to this problem you're having. This is the only case of this error happening on Ninja so far we've heard of, so I'm sorry it's happening to you :( If I find something else to suggest I'll post it here. It might also be worth contacting Steam's support to see if they have additional fixes to suggest. I'll see if I can reach them myself.