Your Quest ideas and DS Adventure, I will make mod

Hi :)

I'm currently working on an adventure mod for DST. It is based on the DS adventure. So it will be possible to play the more or less unchanged DS adventure with friends in DST.
But I also plan to add my own mode to this adventure, adding some new stuff.

Eg. I want to add a mode without researchlabs. Instead you have to find blueprints.
Also there will be a shop. If enabled, you can buy there some basic items for dubloons. Also if any player found a blueprint, you will be able to buy this blueprint at the shop, to allow every player to have the same knowledge.
To get dubloons, I thought of implementing little Quests, like:
- build a new pighouse, - rescue pigking by destroying pigguards - destroy a spiderden ...
I won't make a questlog and the quests will be active without activating them first. Instead I will distribute the shop all over the world, which gives you hints about quests near him.

Now I need your ideas about small quests that I could add to the adventure! :)

well fighting uncommon enemies like werepigs a nest of shadows and early boss mobs treeguard,spiderqueen.varg. would be pretty good. Also surviving goals would be a good addititon. Some weird ones can be kill 4 beardlings. make ice cream or a  kill charged volt goat. do those seem any good

• Developer

Quests around survival would be cool.

Give a homeless pigman some food and a campfire 

Bring a lost pigman back to his village.

Plant a berry bush farm for a merchant

Beefalo escaped from a merchant's farm and he wants you to restock it. 

26 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Quests around survival would be cool.

Give a homeless pigman some food and a campfire 

Bring a lost pigman back to his village.

Plant a berry bush farm for a merchant

Beefalo escaped from a merchant's farm and he wants you to restock it. 

"Thank you Maxwellio, but our princess toadstool is in another cave!"

And now I want allied Pigmen to sleep in Tents and heal.

It'd be kind of neat if the Pig King actually gave you a quest sometimes. Knightly missions on behalf of the mighty pig kingdom.
Like, go kill Vargs (one per 2 players?) menacing one of the outlying Pig Villages, and in return each player gets a Life Giving Amulet or something nice like that. Take a risk, but it's helpful for later main-line quests.

Reign in some rebel pigs that refuse to submit to His Largeness.

Bring the main village a good renewable source of meat, like a couple Beef.

Quest 1: "The Pig Farmer"

Spoiler

Find a Pigman with a burned house and burned farms.

The quest will then become active:

Fix his house and build 2 farms (Basic Farms)

Bonus: Build a straw hat and a Scarecrow for the farmer

Reward: 4 Dubloons!

Bonus Rewards: 3 Dubloons!

Quest 2: "The Killer Bees"

Spoiler

If the world has Killer Bee Hives this quest will be active:

Kill at least 8 Killer Bee Hives

Bonus: Kill at least 55 Killer Bees

Reward: 10 Dubloons!

Bonus Reward: 5 Dubloons!

Quest 3: "The Warg Mercenary"

Spoiler

Find and kill 3 Wargs

Bonus: Kill at least 14 hounds

Reward: 15 Dubloons!

Bonus Reward: 5 Dubloons!

Quest 4: "A Legend"

Spoiler

Kill all bosses on a straight one life without dying even once!

If you die the whole quest resets.

This includes: Deerclops, Goose, Bearger, Dragonfly, Toadstool, Spider Queen, Warg, Ancient Guardian.

Reward: 100 Dubloons!

Quest 5: "The perfect father"

Spoiler

Raise a Smallbird to become a Tallbird without it dying

Reward: 8 Dubloons!

Quest 6: "I taste them  all!"

Spoiler

Eat ALL the crock pot foods there are in the game.

Reward: 15 Dubloons!

Quest 7: "The engineer!"

Spoiler

Fix all the marble sculptures.

Reward: 10 dubloons

Quest 8: "Kaboom!"

Spoiler

Make 20 gunpowder

Reward: 5 Dubloons!

Quest 9: "Rosebud"

Spoiler

Pick 10 Roses

Reward: 15 Dubloons

Quest 10: "Mushy Party"

Spoiler

Gather all the Mushcap Blueprints and all the Mush lamp blueprint and build all of them

Reward: 10 Dubloons

Most of these are a bit hard. Other ideas for the quests in general: You can Discard some quests you don't wanna do. But they might come back.

EDIT: I changed the 7th mission...

Character Specific Quests!

Wendy:

• Avenging Abigail - Claim the life of the beast who hurt Abigail. Reward: 15 Dubloons
  • Dear Duo - With Abigail, slay a hundred mobs. Reward: 45 Dubloons 

Wilson:

• Hairy Situation - Survive Summer with a full grown beard. Reward: 75 Dubloons

Wes:

• Party Clown - Entertain the pig king with balloon animals! Reward: 10 Dubloons (and maybe a piece of gold. ;))

On 6.10.2016 at 5:57 PM, matthoffman said:

This sounds fun :anonymous:

Perhaps you may allow players to view and accept main quests at the pig king,
and to purchase blueprints / powerups (e.g. temporary HP, Attack or Defense boosts) at the Yaarctopus.

Wouldn't we need Yaarctopus in DST in the first place?

Thank you for all your great ideas :)
Of course all ideas collected here can also be used in other projects, so I don't want to restrict it to one kind of ideas.

But just that you know what kind of quests I did not had in mind:
1) No "Achievements" like you know from steam, so I won't add thinks like "beat xy without getting any damage" or simular.
2) And for now I won't add new game stuff to the adventure. That means there will be no dragonfly and no caves in my adventure mod, cause it also wasn't in the Don't Starve adventure.

But as I already stated, it won't hurt to also collect those ideas for the future or projects from other people :)

uh i just skimmed this topic but from what I gather all these "quests" and idea lack the one thing a DST adventure mode would really need which is a mechanic or gimmick that necessitates a group of players rather than just one player.  ATM all these suggestions can be easily completed single handedly and doesn't require a group to partake in this adventure. 

While eliminating caves is alright idea, I think following the single player formula for Adventure mode in DST is a poor decision.  The single player adventure mode was introduced prior to Reign of Giants and that is why it lacks the other giants (deerclops is in Adventure mode), but Together is a fully formed game with this mod(or its Adventure mode) forthcoming, so said Adventure mode should include EVERYTHING available in the game at this time.  Not only should it include everything but it should capitalize on it and create a challenging experience in order to reach the end that requires not only multiple players but their cooperation in order to complete it. 

I wish you the best of luck

3 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

uh i just skimmed this topic but from what I gather all these "quests" and idea lack the one thing a DST adventure mode would really need which is a mechanic or gimmick that necessitates a group of players rather than just one player.  ATM all these suggestions can be easily completed single handedly and doesn't require a group to partake in this adventure. 

While eliminating caves is alright idea, I think following the single player formula for Adventure mode in DST is a poor decision.  The single player adventure mode was introduced prior to Reign of Giants and that is why it lacks the other giants (deerclops is in Adventure mode), but Together is a fully formed game with this mod(or its Adventure mode) forthcoming, so said Adventure mode should include EVERYTHING available in the game at this time.  Not only should it include everything but it should capitalize on it and create a challenging experience in order to reach the end that requires not only multiple players but their cooperation in order to complete it. 

I wish you the best of luck

thank you :)
I already made a thread about this in mod section, but since mostly only modders are there, there were not much replies. But the one reply that is there, already had some ideas how to add multiplayer things:
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/70291-coop-adventure-mode-your-ideas/

I would love to add cooperate stuff to the adventure. But I don't want to prevent anyone from playing this adventure, just because he plays alone...
I can easily add a check for the current players ingame, but then I need a dooable variation of quests. And what if a 4 player quest already was started, but then players left the game? The quest would be unsolveable. I could change the setting of also active quests when players leave, but maybe this is also not what players would like to see?
So how to solve this problem?

Anyway, feel free to also post ideas about cooperate quests :) If we don not find a better solution, it will be one game mode of the mod, so you just don't play it alone.

Of course many games (Terraria's a good example) scale enemy mob health based on the current number of active players. That's one tool at your disposal.
Number of enemies that spawn on world generation is another option. If few players are present, you can spawn more Pig Houses and such resources.

...for some reason I keep imagining a puzzle involving food management and a lot of extra-hungry Beargers trapped between small Basalt passageways. Go through with food, they attack immediately. Obelisks rise near aggroed Beargers, blocking your path, but you need food to offer to some other mob behind them to progress farther. So either you kill each one, or put them to sleep, or something. Maybe other players could enter through another area and lure the Bearger to another part of their enclosure while one person continues onward through the opened path?
A balance point for that puzzle would be changing the number of Beargers and the amount of food required at the end.

I'd actually kind of like if DST adventure mode involved a lot of deaths and revivals, seeing as that's a feature exclusive and semi-central to this version of the game.

Man... Reading these quest ideas brings me back to when I used to play Frontierville. Rest in piece wonderful game. :wilsondisappointed:

Though in that Fast facts youtube episode of Don't Starve, they said the reason they took certain quests out of the game due to players finishing them quickly.

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Man... Reading these quest ideas brings me back to when I used to play Frontierville. Rest in piece wonderful game. :wilsondisappointed:

Though in that Fast facts youtube episode of Don't Starve, they said the reason they took certain quests out of the game due to players finishing them quickly.

It was rather because it gave people a goal, and they focused on the goal more than anything else, leading to most of the world being wasted because players just wouldn't care and wouldn't try to interact with it.

What ideas do you have for the "Epilogue" 7th level?

I think it would be a good idea to make it a last challenge, so you have to fight eg against some clockworks with the few ressources you brought from previous level.

When placing diviningrod near maxwell I would do all the stuff from singleplayer, but with first player only of course. Do you have an idea what could happen then ? At the moment I just send a Notification like "Congratulation you won the adventure!".  Should it restart automatically? Or should it restart, when checkmate teleportato is used after talking to maxwell ? Of course you won't play with maxwell when it restarts.

What could be the "talking-style" of the pigking? I want him to give quests like
" build 3 pighouses" , "show me 4 pigs with hats" and so on.

If the player gets near the pigking, he will say one of ~5 possible strings like:
"help me to expand pigkindom" , "I need more subjects" , "Increase the number of pighouses by 3", "build 3 pighouses", "We need more houses"

Can someone translate those and other sample strings into pigking style ? Maybe with some "oink" ?

3 hours ago, Serpens said:

What could be the "talking-style" of the pigking? I want him to give quests like
" build 3 pighouses" , "show me 4 pigs with hats" and so on.

If the player gets near the pigking, he will say one of ~5 possible strings like:
"help me to expand pigkindom" , "I need more subjects" , "Increase the number of pighouses by 3", "build 3 pighouses", "We need more houses"

Can someone translate those and other sample strings into pigking style ? Maybe with some "oink" ?

Ugly monkey man builder! Ugly monkey man make huts!

Ugly merms smash pigs. Ugly monkey man give hard skin for fight merms! For great justice!

Village grow. Must defend. You is good, you build wall!

Stuff like this?

EDIT:

Looks like it's not too bad. Copying vanilla pigman quotes for reference:

Pigman:

When too close

• YOU BACK OFF!
  • STAY AWAY!
  • THAT MY SPACE.
  • TOO CLOSE!

Battlecries

• I KILL NOW!
  • RAAAWR!