Arranging Words in Reasonably-Bearable Sequences

11 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

In all honesty, I had no plans to continue. It's just a little joke for you, ladies and gentlemen. Your positive and thoughtful response fills me with DETERMINATION.

(I should really stop "fixing" that XD)

As for the story, it kinda sucks that you won't continue it. It was nice to get an honorable mention though :)

• Like 2

On 4.10.2016 at 0:26 AM, minespatch said:

Wallice...?

Also, have you drawn Maestra?

Nope to the first (it's Iggy's PC) and nah to the second (I doodle only to unload and have no talent whatsoever ;))!

On 4.10.2016 at 1:17 AM, DragonMage156 said:

(I should really stop "fixing" that XD)

As for the story, it kinda sucks that you won't continue it. It was nice to get an honorable mention though :)

Well, in all due honesty, I've never considered making it anything but a mad oneshot. It started out as a crazy challenge after all, nothing serious. I don't think anyone would be interested in a novelisation of the campaign, that's one, and having more of a material backbone on each character would be obligatory, that's second. My work has undergone drastic changes, between this, articles, commissions and a huge collaboration with my dearest friend, I'm short on time. Who knows if I won't scribble something light for DST when some kind of a furlough hits. If I do, you will be the first to know, promise!

On 4.10.2016 at 1:28 AM, PandoMish said:

Oh Lord *hopping around and searching for vocabulary* what's going on in this thread, as it always has been, Mishka's missing most important events

tumblr_o0utdkUp5M1u9xr6co2_250.gif

Not missing: the entire point of this is to show what's going on in Charlie's mind (and it ain't pretty). Enjoyment wasn't the aim. After all being somewhat possessed by THEM can't be nice.

Thanks a lot for all your kind words, everyone - feel free to comment on what you would like to read, DST-wise, I can keep the thread for summer prompts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Personally I'd like to see a scene with Wigfrid and Webber in the future. I hardly see those two together. She could teach him survival skills.

Ha, Wigfrid rooting on Webber eating monster lasagna with Ayenth getting a heart attack... Good times :wilson_evil:

Generally, I find Wigfrid great at the violence-requiring activities, but less long-term survival. Her Valkyrie persona has little patience to shave rather than kill beefalos (game-wise, you get wool after a kill too, but logic-wise, blood on the coat makes it less useful), hide from mobs rather than challenge them, tend to camps. In my situation in PR, @PandoMish's Mishka becomes a motherly figure to Webbs (the new Wigfrid hasn't yet played). In vanilla, I would vote for Willow. Not only because of her less head-on survival approach from Girl Scouts, but because she understands how it feels to be pointed at as a freak.

I want to recommend a very good story with Willow and Webber, written by CaramelChameleon, which you can read here.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Well, seems like you left us wanting more and I'm part of that crowd.

Just... how :o

You got a harmless dare challenge in "What'd I Miss?". I was on holidays, my first in a decade, and wrote the entirety of this on my phone, with hardly any available reference material (left my albums on semiotics at home, for instance). It aims at showing how horrible the madness induced by THEM is. No popularity-attracting content whatsoever. It's a bit painful as my aim was. And you are left wanting?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, minespatch said:

How can I be ashamed if the work is pretty good?:wilson_ecstatic:

Stop being so harsh on yourself, you silly billy.

That writ? Come on, it's despicably mediocre. More accessible as well, judging by the amount of likes.

15 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I think having to read that wall of text is punishment enough XD

Which wall of text?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Long? What long story? "Ardiente" is not long :).

Regular person: Woah, a wall of text!
Writer: It's what? 2300-2500 words? Pah! A teensy oneshot! 

Regular person: This story is pretty good!
Writer: No. It's horrible, and I'm horrible, I could've done better.

Regular person: I liked it so much! I'll leave a like!
Writer: *sees a big pile of likes* STOP I AM NOT WORTHY

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Net Spectre said:

Regular person: Woah, a wall of text!
Writer: It's what? 2300-2500 words? Pah! A teensy oneshot! 

Regular person: This story is pretty good!
Writer: No. It's horrible, and I'm horrible, I could've done better.

Regular person: I liked it so much! I'll leave a like!
Writer: *sees a big pile of likes* STOP I AM NOT WORTHY

Are you surprised?

My definition of reasonably long is 513 A4 pages, 261461 words, 1237916 (without spaces) or 1492085 (with spaces) signs, 8438 paragraphs and 30270 lines. That is the current serious work, a collaboration with my dearest friend, I have at the moment. Not finished yet. We have a lot to take care of, topmost, several conlags in the works and examining the geological consistency of our regions. Then, several bouts of proofreading and off to the publisher.

Do you really think this little Willow piece is long :p???

• Like 1

Just now, Arlesienne said:

Do you really think this little Willow piece is long :p???

Who, me? That wasn't me! (I was snarking due to the DragonMage's comment, that's all).
As I've said above, I count it as a "teensy oneshot". I also can't stop self-bashing as you can see
For me anything less than 4k words is short, above 4k to 20k is medium, and above 20k is (various stages of) long. Again, there is also the question of the writing style, (descriptivness or substance? tough choice sometimes.), a number of chapters, the word count per chapter, yadda yadda.

Edited by Net Spectre
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Net Spectre said:

Who, me? That wasn't me! (I was snarking due to the DragonMage's comment, that's all).
As I've said above, I count it as a "teensy oneshot". I also can't stop self-bashing as you can see
For me anything less than 4k words is short, above 4k to 20k is medium, and above 20k is (various stages of) long. Again, there is also the question of the writing style, (descriptivness or substance? tough choice sometimes.), a number of chapters, the word count per chapter, yadda yadda.

I know it wasn't you, I was just delighted to hear someone understanding my definition of short!

• Like 3

"The expression of pure defeat laced with pain when Webber stoically exclaims he just left the toy pigman out of the way, not really into plushies any longer, couldn't possibly be more amusing. Her pet truly is an artist, the perfect actor on the stage she sets with THEM as the ultimate audience. "

I must have something in my eye. NO I AM NOT CRYING.

Especially when you have seen these characters *live*, not just perform but truly *live*, it breaks my little rotten heart to imagine Ay rejected by our favourite little spider boy in such a cruel way. 

Seriously, this is an amazing read, oozing with personality and style. It is both beautifully poetic and still tells its story very coherently, making the reading experience very smooth and flowing, like spilling a cup of pudding down a very slight incline.

... Okay, that got a bit weird in the end. My point still stands, though.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2016 at 8:33 PM, MeingroessterFan said:

"The expression of pure defeat laced with pain when Webber stoically exclaims he just left the toy pigman out of the way, not really into plushies any longer, couldn't possibly be more amusing. Her pet truly is an artist, the perfect actor on the stage she sets with THEM as the ultimate audience. "

I must have something in my eye. NO I AM NOT CRYING.

Especially when you have seen these characters *live*, not just perform but truly *live*, it breaks my little rotten heart to imagine Ay rejected by our favourite little spider boy in such a cruel way. 

Seriously, this is an amazing read, oozing with personality and style. It is both beautifully poetic and still tells its story very coherently, making the reading experience very smooth and flowing, like spilling a cup of pudding down a very slight incline.

... Okay, that got a bit weird in the end. My point still stands, though.

H-h-how did you figure out the pudding tempo part :wilson_love:? In my case, it was raspberry jam according to my grandmother's recipe. It would always be closer to juice than jam...

I can't believe somebody read it the way I did: a dark little ficlet about screwed people trying to figure it out. That moment in the campaign moved me a great deal. @Fortie portrayed it with all her Webber's grace and innocence - since there was no intentional malice in his reaction - and I truly felt Ayenth's depression. His own self-esteem issues, topmost his clan's repetition of being wrong and by such not deserving a family, just confirmed themselves... It was a hard time.

And reading it again, now that they - we - have come to admit to having morphed into a family by choice... it feels magnificent. If you really enjoyed it, I could not have asked for a better reward. Thank you.

• Like 1

Just now, MeingroessterFan said:

Less of a mirror, more of a ten times superior product.

Nope. Definitely nope. Also, you give Ay too much credit. In reality he's short and scrawny, and the bow matches the size. He only manages not to shoot himself in the rear in DST. He didn't learn to use it prior to the Codex incident. Much to, say, Calenleya's chagrin.

• Like 2

Just now, Arlesienne said:

Nope. Definitely nope. Also, you give Ay too much credit. In reality he's short and scrawny, and the bow matches the size. He only manages not to shoot himself in the rear in DST. He didn't learn to use it prior to the Codex incident. Much to, say, Calenleya's chagrin.

Well, he is a great hero in WX's mind, that's why he gets a very beneficial display in his dreams.

I'm also realizing that it gets increasingly hard to argue against the "gay robot" accusations.

• Like 2