Don't Starve Together: Console Edition FAQ (PS4)

JanH

Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about Don't Starve Together: Console Edition on PlayStation 4:

GENERAL

SPLIT SCREEN

OTHER

GENERAL

Do I need to own Don't Starve to play Don't Starve Together?
Don't Starve Together: Console Edition is a stand-alone multiplayer expansion to Don't Starve: Console Edition on the PS4. DST is a separate game from Don’t Starve, and you are not required to own one to play the other. 

How many players can join/play on a server? 
We are supporting six-player client hosted servers.

How do I use text chat in-game?
Press R3 on your DualShock 4 controller to bring up the “Social Menu" tab and select the “Talk” or “Whisper” option. Or, while in the character select screen, press Square to use the chat screen.

How do I disable voice-chat for DST?
You will be able to mute individual players.
While in the character select screen, navigate to the player you would like to mute and press Triangle.
While in-game, bring up the “Social Menu” (R3), select “Player Listing”, navigate to the player you want to mute, navigate through the buttons on the player to select Mute and then press X.

What is "Lag Compensation"?
In Don't Starve Together: Console Edition, we use movement prediction by default, which may cause a delay in the animation while performing actions and show you in a slightly different location than where players are on the server.
This can be turned off in the settings by toggling "Lag Compensation" to None, which will trade the prediction with input lag (players will have to wait for the server to confirm their action before it will start).

How do I kick/ban players from my hosted server?
In Gameplay, pressing the R3 button will bring up the Server menu and then the host needs to select "Player Listing", which will bring up a listing of all of the players in the server, along with buttons to allow them to "Kick" or "Ban" each of the individual players.

Do I need a PlayStation Plus membership to play online? Yes, you will need a PlayStation Plus membership to play online with others. If you do not have a PlayStation Plus account, you can still play the game in offline mode.

When I buy skins on my PSN account, are other accounts able to access the items/skins on my console? In-app purchases are account-bound and are not accessible on, nor tradable to other accounts.

SPLIT-SCREEN

Do both players on split-screen require a PlayStation Plus membership to play Online?
No, provided that, on the PS4 you are using, at least one PSN account (with PS Plus membership) has been registered as the primary account on the PS4. 
(Settings -> PlayStation Network/Account Management -> Activate as Primary PS4 -> Accept)

Can you play co-op split-screen without a PlayStation Plus membership?
Both single player and split screen modes can be played without a PS+ membership; however, you won't be able to receive or use skins in offline mode.

How do we play in split screen?
In order to play split screen online, both players will need to be signed into a PSN account on the PS4's main menu. From there, start the game and when you get to Don't Starve Together's menu screen, press the "Options" button on the second DualShock 4 controller to enable the second player for split-screen.

Please note that signing in as a "Guest" PSN account on the PS4 will limit the game to be played offline for split-screen.

How does text chat work in split screen?
When one of the split-screen players brings up the PS4 virtual keyboard, neither player will be able to control their character while the chatting player is entering their chat message. 

Does voice chat work with split screen online?
Yes, Don’t Starve Together supports voice chat even when playing split-screen online.

OTHER

Can I stream or make videos of Don't Starve Together? 
You sure can! We're pretty relaxed when it comes to YouTube and Streaming (Twitch, etc.) permissions. That being said, it would be super cool if things linked to the game page on the PlayStation Store but it's not mandatory. 

You'll find more info about YouTube and Streaming video stuff in our player creation guidelines.

I found a bug in Don't Starve Together: Console Edition! Can you fix it?
If you think you've found a bug in Don't Starve Together, you should head over to our Bug Tracker and see if anyone else has had issue like your own. If yes, add to the discussion! If you can't find your issue, add a new one and we'll take a look at it as soon as we can.

How can I send my save file to Klei?

• Plug a USB drive into the PS4 (Fat32 or exFat only, NTFS does not work)
  • Go to Settings -> Application Saved Data Management -> Saved Data in System Storage -> Copy to USB Storage Device -> Don't Starve Together -> Select All -> Copy
  • After that finishes, unplug the USB drive from the PS4 and plug it onto your PC
  • Find the "PS4" directory and zip it up with all subdirectories (Windows: Right Click > Send To > Compressed Folder. Mac: Righ-click or Ctrl-Click > Compress "PS4")
  • When you're ready to send the zipped file, you can do so by:
    • Giving us view-only access to the file via a Dropbox link;
    • Or - Email the zipped file to our support team at livesupport@kleientertainment.com
      (If you are on Gmail, send it to livesupport@klentertainment.com and Gmail will automatically upload the file to your drive and provide us the link to it.)
    • Or - Post it as a Bug Report on the Don't Starve Together (PS4) Bug Tracker
  • Like 4

Hi, I'm having issues with split screen play with multiple consoles but I think we were doing something wrong.  Should we be able to play split screen on one console while playing online with other consoles?

We were trying to play split screen with multiple consoles on an offline server, and were unable to get it to work.  The host gets booted with a 'Multiple login' error, and the user trying to join is not able to join.

Do we need to play online to mix a split-screen console with single-user consoles in one server?

• Like 1

Will DST feature a "players met" option in the future? I know that with some games I can find players met but not with DST, none of the players I met were in my history. I tried to see if clicking on players in a server would give me an option to send a message to the player or pull up their PSN profile but nothing worked. 

7 hours ago, Risfor said:

Hi, I couldn't find this answer anywhere since it's relatively new but, I was wondering if while playing split screen, can you still unlock the gift boxes for skins?

Yes, you just need to stand next to science machine and press square on your controller.

Edited by Axxxel

On 17/09/2016 at 3:53 PM, LadyAzure said:

I have a question, how the heck do I equip items I received after I hit "use later"? I see this item in my chest in the menu but I am never able to use it. 

Go to "Collection" in the main menu and press square for "Loadout". Pick a character with the right stick an press X on them. Use the left stick to pick a slot and the right stick to change items. Press X to confirm the outfit when finished. Alternatively when you have an Alchemy Engine you can craft a wardrobe to change clothes in game. 

13 hours ago, LadyAzure said:

I have a backpack but it only allows me to change clothes, no option to put in a back pack.

I haven't got a backpack skin yet but I hope this helps. From what I can find out you should get the choice to choose the backpack skin when you craft a new backpack in game. I found this answer from PeterA(developer) on the forum for the PC version: 

"when you go to craft a backpack now, you should see a left and right arrow spinner on the build popup. This will allow you to cycle through the skins that you own for that item. " 

Hey there !

I have a VServer out there, for my websites, and i really would like

to setup my own PS4-DST-Server there. I read about that Steam-Solution,

but wondering if PS4-Servers are possible with that. Don't know Steam either.

Plan is 1-4 open Lobbies and 1 permanent "Invite Only", depending on what my server says.

I have to say, i never setup a gaming-server...but i am heavily willing to ! :D

On 23/09/2016 at 11:12 AM, BurningFox said:

Is it possible to get the Reign of Giants loyalty code on ps4 if you have both editions on ps4?

Did u find out if ps4 has a code available? I have dont starve + RoG and shipwrecked and just recently got DST as well and only found out today theres a loyalty gift scheme

15 hours ago, Badrocks said:

Did u find out if ps4 has a code available? I have dont starve + RoG and shipwrecked and just recently got DST as well and only found out today theres a loyalty gift scheme

I was told by one of the support people that "since there is no way to confirm whether or not ps4 users have both editions, we cannot give the reigns of giants code on console as of right now" 

However, there is still the fact that there is a code tab on ps4 homepage. So we still have a chance to get loyalty items, just (for right now) not the RoG one.

2 hours ago, BurningFox said:

I was told by one of the support people that "since there is no way to confirm whether or not ps4 users have both editions, we cannot give the reigns of giants code on console as of right now" 

However, there is still the fact that there is a code tab on ps4 homepage. So we still have a chance to get loyalty items, just (for right now) not the RoG one.

BOOOOOOOO, ok well thanks for getting back to me and hopefully we'll get something soon. I'll let u know if I hear anything tho :)

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, Zairthious815 said:

Where can I get redeemable codes?

If you own DS:RoG on Steam version, you can use the CD Key to get a fire pit skin... Provided you didn't use it on the Steam version of DST already.

When buying character plushies, they come with codes.

There were also codes given out at certain game expos where Klei was an exhibitor.

• Like 1

Hello guys, got a question!?
I already own DS, and DTS on a computer (steam) and also on a poket edition for my wife. I just wanna play with her, but we only own one computer, so my question is, if i buy DST on my ps4 , can i ll be able to play with her (me on PC, her on PS4) or its a different network? Cause split screen is okay but not perfect. Thank u in advance for aswer and have a good day.

Don't starve together is not cross play, so you won't be able to play together from pc a d ps4. However the console version have vertical split screen. I see few options (from less expensive to more expensive):

1. Play on one console with split screen.

2. Play on one console with split screen, but if you have 3d TV that support dual play, just buy dual play glasses and both of you can see on the whole screen.

3. Buy another ps4.

4. Buy another pc.

• Like 1

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 9:44 AM, kyoshin31 said:

Hello guys, got a question!?
I already own DS, and DTS on a computer (steam) and also on a poket edition for my wife. I just wanna play with her, but we only own one computer, so my question is, if i buy DST on my ps4 , can i ll be able to play with her (me on PC, her on PS4) or its a different network? Cause split screen is okay but not perfect. Thank u in advance for aswer and have a good day.

You gotta get two tv and two ps4, well if you're a crazy gaming couple like my bf and I are. Otherwise you will have to play on the same console, no cross play I'm afraid. Which I suppose is a good thing, all those PC players with their mods and such would really make the game unbalanced for us less fortunate ps players.

On 9/15/2016 at 10:23 AM, AdamHernandez said:

Hi, I'm having issues with split screen play with multiple consoles but I think we were doing something wrong.  Should we be able to play split screen on one console while playing online with other consoles?

We were trying to play split screen with multiple consoles on an offline server, and were unable to get it to work.  The host gets booted with a 'Multiple login' error, and the user trying to join is not able to join.

Do we need to play online to mix a split-screen console with single-user consoles in one server?

I am having this same issue...can someone please look into this or let us know a work around. Trying to play a local match with splitscreen on 2 ps4s. Keep getting duplicate login error when trying to join the second ps4 to the local game.

Edited by Ruin_fall
Added more detail about problem.