ScienceMachine

11 hours ago, LadyD said:

If I wanted to abuse my powers I would have summoned Joe. Then again everyone summons joe. I like to spread the love and summon other Klei and people @MarkL

What can I say. I feel silly tonight. Heh. 

You don't need to summon me because you know I am going to see it anyway. 

=)

33 minutes ago, LadyD said:

Hi there boss. 

I was behaving myself. Honest. 

How much is my silence to you?

Also

William 1.png

Boy, years ago, William would've just been a stick in the mud, just the blandest shonen anime protagonist you could imagine, with your Default "Dark past involving a lost loved one" personality package.

Right now I'm just trying to add some personality to him, maybe making him a bit more scummy.

Your own Medicine.png

He think's he'll be absolutely fine on the Isles, but really all those childhood camping trips aren't going to help against trees that can fight back. He's still yet to figure out how to put together a house.

31 minutes ago, LadyD said:

*Parrot lands nearby wearing a pirate hat it shouts- Nice sailing, CHUMP- then flies off*

Shipwrecked 2.png

In which I haven't played the game in 44 years. Luckily, the basics aren't lost on me.

28 minutes ago, LiptonPee said:

omg this thread pls

Welcome back, SM! You're a wonderful artist.

I'm mostly known as "that gal who streams too much", nice to meet you!

And nice to meet you, too! Thank you for the welcome back and the compliment~

I've seen your work, keep at it~

15 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

Hats 2.png

My buddy @toki-wartoothxx's gonna have a ball with this thread. :wilson_ecstatic:

15 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

Let try this again.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 11.25.28 PM.png

1 hour ago, ScienceMachine said:

Shipwrecked 1.png

In which ScienceMachine attempts the Shipwrecked DLC. Maybe I should make another art thread for this buuuut that'd be too bothersome.

So... Did going onto a island turn your eyes into fonts? :wilson_shocked:

Hey welcome back. I joined last December so I don't think we've met.

Nice art too :encouragement:

I like that little Spider Man reference

3 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

Boy, years ago, William would've just been a stick in the mud, just the blandest shonen anime protagonist you could imagine, with your Default "Dark past involving a lost loved one" personality package.

Right now I'm just trying to add some personality to him, maybe making him a bit more scummy.

A problem I have with some of my characters. A name and personality mostly -_-

(This isn't the same William that became Maxwell is it? :p )

24 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Hey welcome back. I joined last December so I don't think we've met.

Nice art too :encouragement:

I like that little Spider Man reference

A problem I have with some of my characters. A name and personality mostly -_-

(This isn't the same William that became Maxwell is it? :p )

I'm pretty sure this became a joke when that update actually rolled about. But I could never remember them. :p

Lookalike.png

After all, they look nothing alike. Unless you count impeccable tastes in suits and glasses.

Plus, there's something about adding scum to your characters. People being awful is very relateable.

9 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Yeah what is that btw? Sound horrible :p

Ah, what I mean by scum I mean by scummy personality traits. A personality can't be all good, even good guys have scummy traits they try to suppress or otherwise confront. Conflict is key in stories, even in one's self.

45 minutes ago, ScienceMachine said:

Ah, what I mean by scum I mean by scummy personality traits. A personality can't be all good, even good guys have scummy traits they try to suppress or otherwise confront. Conflict is key in stories, even in one's self.

If that's what it's called than I need some of those for my characters Red and Fluffy (they're anthro animal characters btw :p )

5 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

Ditto. Otherwise Sueism ensues. For all your Sueismic purposes, consult here. The devious thing generates Sues with names like Bloodface Candybreath. But if you could tell us more about William, I would be forever beholden to you. He really doesn't sound like Gary Stu; my writer senses would be tingling otherwise.

2 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Sueism; Sueismic

I like these words. We do have to remind ourselves that it's not a bad thing to indulge into Sueism; a lot of young teen writers do this for escapism out of their hideously restricted/dull lives. I should know, I was there before, technically I'm still there now, but with a lot more nuance and self-awareness. Basically; Just don't be a ****** about it (the writer and the reader) and we'll all get along just fine.

The original William was, again, pretty boring in hindsight. He was a psychiatrist (Apparently a good friend of Wilson's) who lost the love of his life in a car accident, on the night they broke up no less. There wasn't any particular reason for it. He wallowed in self-pity until Maxwell came along and granted him a wish; She lived, but he and his memories get taken away.

He's also anchored with shadow powers apparently, no idea why that happened.

Now, he was an up-and-coming celebrity in the world of psychology and brain biology, who later revealed that he wanted to prove psychic powers are real. His increasingly hostile obsession made him a laughing stock and his lover left him because of this.

Maxwell being Maxwell, he granted William's wish for psychic powers, but at the cost of forgetting everything he was in the real world. So far, Maxwell's newest play thing isn't very interesting to look at. He quite enjoys life on the Isles, and maybe giving him psychic powers was a bad idea on his part.

I realized that Maxwell of all people is basically his foil. Maxwell, despite his humble rise to evil, remembers his past sins and has regrets about his actions. William was laughed right out of the spotlight he had earned and without his memories but still having the emotional baggage, is full of pent up rage against the world and would probably abuse his powers for his own entertainment, as opposed to Maxwell being forced to toy with the survivors by Them.

Now I wanna see a Maxwell vs William fight and William losing just so he could realise the monster he had become ... >;3c

6 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

I like these words. We do have to remind ourselves that it's not a bad thing to indulge into Sueism; a lot of young teen writers do this for escapism out of their hideously restricted/dull lives. I should know, I was there before, technically I'm still there now, but with a lot more nuance and self-awareness. Basically; Just don't be a ****** about it (the writer and the reader) and we'll all get along just fine.

The original William was, again, pretty boring in hindsight. He was a psychiatrist (Apparently a good friend of Wilson's) who lost the love of his life in a car accident, on the night they broke up no less. There wasn't any particular reason for it. He wallowed in self-pity until Maxwell came along and granted him a wish; She lived, but he and his memories get taken away.

He's also anchored with shadow powers apparently, no idea why that happened.

Now, he was an up-and-coming celebrity in the world of psychology and brain biology, who later revealed that he wanted to prove psychic powers are real. His increasingly hostile obsession made him a laughing stock and his lover left him because of this.

Maxwell being Maxwell, he granted William's wish for psychic powers, but at the cost of forgetting everything he was in the real world. So far, Maxwell's newest play thing isn't very interesting to look at. He quite enjoys life on the Isles, and maybe giving him psychic powers was a bad idea on his part.

I realized that Maxwell of all people is basically his foil. Maxwell, despite his humble rise to evil, remembers his past sins and has regrets about his actions. William was laughed right out of the spotlight he had earned and without his memories but still having the emotional baggage, is full of pent up rage against the world and would probably abuse his powers for his own entertainment, as opposed to Maxwell being forced to toy with the survivors by Them.

Now I wanna see a Maxwell vs William fight and William losing just so he could realise the monster he had become ... >;3c

Cue my slow-motion clapping. That's what I have to repeat to the folks in my literary cafe - tropes are tools. And sometimes, you actually need a Sue to complete your satire. Funnily enough, many don't realise this. It's somewhere between annoying and saddening. Leaning towards the latter.

I find William very interesting - clearly a tragic character, yet no excessive brooding. He has his reasons - and being a foil to Maxwell is just the icing on the cake. I really look forward to learning more about him.

1 hour ago, LadyD said:

I was going to draw D and Maxwell betting on whether you would last the week on the islands. Then I remembered I can't draw

You should make a art thread. I'd like to see you try. :wilson_goodjob:

11 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

Never seen a psychiatrist in the fandom. I imagine @Theinsanefruitloop's Albert having conversations with William when Wilson was taken away.

Archived