I remember the childhood "Hot Lava" game

I played not only hot lava (or as my family calls it, "the floor is made of hot molten lava"), I would take the cushions off the couch and pretend that they were boats and I was sailing in shark infested water. So basically the same game, but in a different setting.

• Developer
23 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

I would take the cushions off the couch and pretend that they were boats and I was sailing in shark infested water. So basically the same game, but in a different setting.

Now that you mention it, I do remember playing that when I was younger at school...

*happy sigh* Those were the days...

I never really played Hot Lava at home, but I sure as hell played the absolute crap outta it at the park! Me and whoever else was on the "boat" (playground) were stranded in shark infested waters, saving "crew" from falling into the water (holding their arms on the slide). 

Good times.

Ohmygod, yes.  We just called it "Don't Touch the Floor" but the _assumption_ was that the floor was made of lava, or covered in spikes, or something.  That and the other old-timey kids' thing, where you take chairs and/or the table, drape a blanket over it, and pretend you're in your fort and the monsters can't come in and get you, nyah nyah!

I've also played Don't Touch the Floor outdoors with other kids, at which point it became Don't Touch the Ground.  It was at a park, and it's like, stand on the concrete curb around the flower patch, go from there to the swingset, reach over and see if you can make it to the merry-go-round by stepping only on the decorative stepstones... 

Also complicated up at one point by "If you get the magic potion, you'll be invincible for a minute--but ONLY a minute!" and the "magic potion" involved going over to where the grownups were still eating the picnic you'd come there for, grabbing a coke out of the cooler, and taking a drink of it.  Because I ALWAYS thought like a gamer, apparently.  : P

...Notorious

• Developer
10 minutes ago, Ootay said:

Eh.. Is it weird that i sitll sometimes play ''The Floor is Lava'' game?

I hope not. :wilson_incredulous:

Of course not, I mean, we all let our younger, childish side get the best of us from time to time. Plus, you have to admit it is pretty fun :p

9 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Of course not, I mean, we all let our younger, childish side get the best of us from time to time. Plus, you have to admit it is pretty fun :p

Thank god. I always make bets with my friend who will survive longer.

~*OOTAY*~

10 minutes ago, JoeW said:

You can blame your brother for the leaky tea face. =)

The irony is that a year or two later he kicked one of my teeth OUT in the pool. Ah childhood. Yes I believe I shall blame him for leaky tea face. 

5 hours ago, RyanandLink said:

There will be a day when a parent shows their child this Klei game, and they will remember this as their childhood game and when their grandparents refer to The Floor is Lava they will be confused because Hot Lava didn't exist when they were kids. 

2meta4me

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

My kids play it all the time. The hardwood floors are water with sharks and piranhas, the red parts of the area rugs are hot lava.

I hope you tell them to stay away from skirting boards. 

Archived