Morgue Suggestion

Hi Everyone,

I hope that Klei Staff see this post. Don't Starve is a game that I'm enjoying a lot.

One quality of the game that amuses me is the things that you learn when you die. Every death is a step in learning, and written in the Morgue.

But, although the fact that we can have a good laugh at the morgue, It is so basic, that it kind of saddens me.

To ilustrate the point:

dont starve morgue.png

See, the deaths from Days 117, 118 and 120 are from the same game (some Touch Stones and Meat Effigy assured that i could continue to make mistakes), and maybe some of these other deaths in the Obituaries above. Yeah, Spelunking have never been so frustating, but all these deaths are from the same game, same world and almost about the same experiences.

What I'm trying to convey is that we should have a better morgue. One that could sum up better a experience from a game, until the permadeth that may come (will come is more certain) put a end in that game. I have two ideas that I really would like to see implemented and other that would be helpful in making even better the morgues.

The First is to see that the various deaths from one game are summed up in the last death in that game world. That way, You would have just one death listed in the obituary per game, but clicking in that line, would open the all the others deaths, or even open a menu about that gameplay.

Like:

+Death game 2 - 35 Days

+Death game 3 - 27 Days

+Death game 1 -  5 Days

But if you clicked in one, it coudl extend the deaths from that game

+Death game 2 - 35 Days

+Death game 3 - 27 Days

----- Second death - 11 days

----- First death - 7 days

+Death game 1 -  5 Days

The Second would be an idealization of your character in that game. Like when you enter Don't Starve Together, players that you have played appear in the  portal with their skin in one character (don't know if it is the last one played) and some equipped items. The game could track the items that you have most used in the equippment slots in the last 10 days (so can track the better equippments acquired) from your permadeth, and show your character with that items. It would be amazing to see that as a representation of the game you clicked.

The third (less important but still way way cool) would be statistics. A lot of survival games track what the player have been doing until the fate of death come, and why not? Statistics like: - How many torches have been exhausted? (It's a game about darkness) - Favorite Food? - Kilometers run?  Spiders Killed?

And also some randon statistics different in each game, that would be fool but interesting in the morgue, just for giggles: - How many pig houses put down? - How many beefalos shaved? - How many poos put on fire?

The Fourth idea would be ability to see the map (maps, because it would be so cool to see the caves and ruins too) and what it was in the time of the permadeath (but just what the player have revealed).

The fifth (less important than the others in my view, and maybe even a pain to accomplish) would be the recriation of the last 10 seconds of each death. You could click in each death in the Obituaries (the last from the game or even the others before that in the same game) and see maybe how it happened in the last 10 seconds from the final damage. In sepia, if the intention is to have a more Don't Starve tone.

In the end, i really think that clicking in the obituary should bring a lot more info about that game, maybe bring another screen with the information above. This game is about having fun (in the sense of dwarf fortress), and what better way than have more information to remember about that ton of fun (or death if you need translation =D ).

Guys, please let me know what you think from my suggestion. KLEI, if you see this, think about!!!!

I think a lot of us gamers would like to see some attempts of ours immortalized and best visualized. Maybe keep the last deaths in the obituary and the player could choose some gameplays to send to masouleum (could be kept forever in the pc, like a file. That file could be uploaded to some page that could read the file, one per player to be shown to everyone, limited for a number of deaths in the gameplay).

PS: Sorry for any misspellings or incorrect sentences, English is just my second language. Thank you all.

For your first suggestion I would agree... But so that instead of storing all of your rezurrected deaths, it just stores the latest one... The rest... No...

The reason for this js because, well, that would take up a bunch of your game's data. The morgue is already set to delete some older deaths just because it takes so much space potentially... Or at least that's what I'm guessing would be the reason for it.

It would be great if Morgue didn't delete deaths and did what you sorta suggested in the first suggestion. The rest would be bad because of potential huge amount of hard space that it will hold. As disappointing as it sounds, it's unfortunately how things are with hardware. You can't just keep storing things forever.

Yeah, I agree with you about the space used. But you would just have some deaths in The Morgue. The latest games finished (permadeth) would erase the older games.

The ones that you would really want to keep, that are in The Morgue, you could move to (just a suggestion) "The Masoleum".

That way it would be easier to keep the hard drive space down. It's up to the player which deaths would be moved to "The Masoleum". If the player forget to send to "The Masoleum" one game, shame on him.

I mean, why not the others idea? I think that some of my ideas could be a real trouble for the GameDesigners, but some are real a attempt to revive your best games. The Morgue is just a line. It's difficult to get attached to them, be an game with a early faliure or a game that you strived to keep alive. To me, see some of this representation would be great.

And the game today is about 1230MB of hardrive, not near some other modern games. I think that the data to keep the morgue like I suggested wouldn't be soo much, because it wouldn't be the whole game, just the data to make that representation. But, I'm no GameDesigner, so I wouldn't be one hundred right about that.

Archived