Aileen Rose's Don't Starve Stash

Ancient Encounter 2.png

The Ancient Encounter continues. Thankfully the two didn’t scare each other away so now the two are just talking while making their way through the caves. Wilson is quite intrigued with the creature and the creature is quite intrigued with him. So many questions and some times, not enough answers.

• Like 7

Ancient Encounter 3.png

“Grk! What are you doing!?”

“Such a strange structure. How do you walk on two legs? Isn’t it hard not having six?”

“No, they work just fine for me. Now, let go, please. I’m trying to eat here and this is really uncomfortable!”

oooooo 

To be fair, she’s never seen something walk up right on two legs. Closest thing she’s probably seen similar to a human is a splumonkey but that isn’t saying much since even in that regard they walk on their hands. So, Wilson is very odd to her. (Or she’s possibly seen broken clockwork bishops but those things hop, not walk.)

Anywhosen, in context, the two stopped for a bit because Wilson was getting hungry and needed to eat. (And legs were getting sore too.) So, they made a small fire and found some food to cook. Though what Wilson wasn’t expecting was the Thulecitian being curious and well not knowing some personal boundaries. Thankfully he was able to get that to stop pretty quickly.

More shenanigans in the future.

• Like 7

Ancient Encounter 4.pngAncient Encounter 5.png

Ancient Encounter 6.png

“So are you a researcher of sorts? A scientist perhaps?”

Wilson looked to the creature, surprised at her for asking such a question.

“Actually… I am. How did you guess?”

“Well, first hint, your diminished physique. You don’t have a lot of muscle to say you’re a field worker or warrior.”

Wilson’s face turned bright red, giving the creature a glare.

“I’m not that scrawny!”

The creature giggled before making her way over to him, touching the center piece of his headband.

“And the other hint, your head band.”

Wilson’s anger vanished, curiosity coming to his eyes, glancing up.

“What about it?”

“Only our researchers and scientists wear bands like these. The two side pieces resemble the horns of the crown of the king, meaning they seek wisdom that they wish to use to improve the lives of all and see the king as their equal in knowledge and pursuit.”

“Oh… I… I had no idea they had that much meaning. That’s… quite the status.”

The creature pulled back, looking him over.

“So… you are what they call a hoo-mon as you said?”

“Human and yes.” Wilson raised an eyebrow. “Is something making you doubt that claim?”

“No, no, just… your garb and how you speak I would just think you’re a Thulecitian with a different build.”

Wilson blinked back confusion.

“How I speak?”

The creature titled her head.

“You speak fluent Thulecitian. Not just anybody knows our language. Only our own kind.”

“But… I… I don’t know of your language. I mean, I can understand you even if I’m hearing a different dialect that’s far from English. I don’t even know how I understand it in the first place I just… do.”

“Well, I guess you can’t hear yourself at the moment then because you’re speaking it right now.”

Wilson went quiet, a puzzled look coming to his face.

“That… That can’t be right. I’m speaking English.”

“Stop focusing on my voice for a moment. Focus on yours. Just… say something. Like… your name. It’ll definitely sound different in Thulecitian and I haven’t quite learned your name so it would be good to know.”

Wilson gave the creature a flat look before turning away from her, closing his eyes, taking a deep breath. Tuning everything else out.

Soon as the world was quiet to him, he spoke but what he heard… was not English. Not in the slightest, coming out of his own mouth. But like with the creature, he knew exactly what he said.

“Wilson-!”

He brought a hand to his throat, his eyes going wide.

“See?”

Wilson said his name again and again he heard the other language.

“H-How..? I.. I shouldn’t even know how to-” It clicked in his mind. “… The Dark Knowledge. It has to be that. Anytime I didn’t know how to do something I always learned something after hearing or seeing it within moments. Not to mention the random facts about this world and skills that pour into my head from time to time.” He ran a hand through his hair. “This unbelievable.”

“I think it’s incredible.” The creature giggled. “So, Wilson’s your name? Never heard anything like it before.”

“It is. Wilson Percival Higgsbury is my full name.”

“That’s a mouthful of names for just one person. I only have one.”

“Speaking of, I think I deserve to knows yours since you now know mine. On top of that, we never did give ourselves proper introductions.”

The creature smiled, nodding.

“Laika. My name is Laika.”

oooooo

More shenanigans with Wilson and the now named Thulecitian, Laika. (Kudos to @Quoth143 for her name.) Some small insights into Thulecitian culture and a bit of their language. Also, Wilson’s Dark Knowledge working in his favor, even if it kind of freaks him out a little.

So yeah, just stuff. And just so people don’t get confused, the lettering you see in the images I designed those so bottom line they aren’t official symbols. Just thought I’d say that.

That’s it for now. More shenanigans in the future with Laika to come! I’m just having fun developing the culture of the Thulecitians and Laika herself. I just… enjoy culture building.

See ya next time!

(Also, catch the Atlantis quote reference?)

• Like 6

23 hours ago, vixenine said:

The first thing that came to me the moment i saw Milo Carter is Milo Thatch.

Excuse my randomness XD

Whenever I hear the name Milo, I think of the movie Milo and Otis. Still like the characters non the less.

I enjoy seeing/reading these thulecitian "what if"s again :)

• Like 1

Ancient Encounter 7.png

“Hard to believe ruins like these were once some sort of city.”

“I can hardly believe it myself, yet all the evidence is here. Every last bit of it.”

“Laika… Did I say something wrong? I get the feeling these parts of the caves might be a touchy subject for you.”

“No, no, you have said nothing wrong, Wilson.These ruins were never my home. I am of the Neo-Thulecitian generation. I have only heard stories of what these ruins once were from my elders. How they used to be a city beyond imagination. Advanced technology, magic, medicine… For my elders, this was their home and it was heart breaking when the great city fell… but they always made it clear that the city’s undoing was of their own foolish ambitions alongside the king’s.”

“Such as…?”

“Thinking they could control the monsters from the other side of the gateway, that the darkness was theirs to command, that we needed nothing else but Them and the fuel they provided, that the King would always have command no matter how much they used Their powers… yet in the end it all became a never ending nightmare… and while there are those of us who remain and survived the cataclysmic event, we can still feel the sorrows of our ancestors. We hear their cries when the Nightmare Cycle passes through these caves. I never knew this city but I feel and understand its tragedy and sorrow.”

oooooo

Yeah in regards to their past, it hurts any Thulecitian, young or old to think about it. It was where their culture began and where it fell apart. Those still remaining are basically trying to pick up the pieces and start over and well… it ain’t easy. Laika certainly knows that for herself.

So, yeah references to the images of the obelisk from the Metheus Puzzle and well… Wilson just feeling bad for Laika and her people.

• Like 6

Ancient Encounter 8.png

Laika found Wilson’s field journal. She can’t read any of the text but she sure thinks the pictures are pretty.

Thulecitian Journal Entry.png

Especially this particular page.

A journal entry by Wilson about some stuff he has learned about Thulecitians so far thanks to Laika.

(Really wanted to make something like this after dannyelling on tumblr made the awesome font you see in this image. Too good to pass up. Thanks for the font by the way you awesome person!)

• Like 6

Ancient Encounter 9.png

“So… why do you always carry a torch? Are you not able to see in the dark?”

“Well, that is one of the reasons. Humans don’t have night vision of any kind and while our eyes can adjust we can’t see very well when in darkness so it’s best to use a light to help us find our way. But there is another reason.”

“And that reason would be?”

Wilson sighed, glancing to the darkness outside their little circle of light.

“The dark here is something my friends and I fear. All because of the monster who lurks in it. The Grue, as they call her. Not to mention all the other monstrosities that lurk in the shadows.”

Laika frowned, looking ahead.

“Ah, so you know of The Night Monster.”

“You know of her too?”

“Yes. My people and I see her passing through sometimes. We can see in the dark perfectly so she doesn’t bother us because we can see her coming but… sometimes, I wish I couldn’t see her or any of the other monsters. It’s just… unpleasant.”

• Like 8

Ask Laika 1.png

"Laika, Have you ever tried to talk to the Grue?" - Quoth143

Laika: There was one time I tried. I heard crying and followed the sound and found The Night Monster crying. She didn’t look menacing like she usually did so I thought I could try. Sadly, I don’t think she could understand me and I couldn’t understand her. I don’t think she knew Thulecitian and I certainly didn’t know the language she was speaking. Though she did speak to me for a bit when she saw I wasn’t really going anywhere. I think she was telling me what it was that was making her sad but I couldn’t tell you what that thing was.

These days though I rarely see her docile so I don’t really try anymore. (Doesn’t help she seems to be constantly on the prowl for something. It’s like she’s trying to find something in the ruins. Also… I think I saw her in a garb once that was really fancy. It was odd. Either way, she’s constantly moving so catching her attention is hard.) But if I ever did get another chance I think I’ll bring Wilson with me so he can translate. That is if The Night Monster doesn’t kill him first.

(One of the ways I have been developing Laika has been by having people ask her questions over on tumblr. I admit this is the most fun I've had with character asks in awhile and still am with all the questions that are still pouring in over on tumblr. So thought I'd share them here too.)

• Like 8

On 6/27/2017 at 11:46 AM, Aileen-Rose said:

Laika: There was one time I tried. I heard crying and followed the sound and found The Night Monster crying. She didn’t look menacing like she usually did so I thought I could try. Sadly, I don’t think she could understand me and I couldn’t understand her. I don’t think she knew Thulecitian and I certainly didn’t know the language she was speaking. Though she did speak to me for a bit when she saw I wasn’t really going anywhere. I think she was telling me what it was that was making her sad but I couldn’t tell you what that thing was.

How did the rest of the cast get the ancient skins in your canon?

23 hours ago, Aileen-Rose said:

20170627_160447_HDR-1.jpg

So Charlotte gave Edward a Thulecite medallion of her crafting?

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

How did the rest of the cast get the ancient skins in your canon?

So Charlotte gave Edward a Thulecite medallion of her crafting?

I don't have a solid idea but the basic thing I have at the moment is while down in the caves their clothes got a bit wrecked and well they found a sacred chest Charlie had left for them that had the skins. (Each one labeled to which set of clothes belong to whom.) That's the rough idea I have at the moment. The other idea I have is they found them somewhere. Just not really sure at the moment.

It's actually a pendant that's supposed to look like a rose. Didn't mean for it to look like a Thulecite medallion.

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 2

Ask Laika 2.png

" Laika have a favorite food?" - dreamstormdragon

Laika: It’s a Thulecitiant traditional meal. Hunters would gather honey and berries from the surface and bring it down to mix in with the meat they would harvest from rabbits. The rice is homegrown in the ruins. It’s really really good and we still manage to make it some days when someone is brave enough to head to the surface to get the honey we need. It’s pretty much a delicacy at this point and it’s one of my favorites whenever we have it at feasting time. I especially love the way my mother makes. It has the right balance of sweet and sour to it. Plus she makes the rice so soft. My mouth just waters thinking about it.

(Crockpot recipe if this were a thing in DST: 1 Honey, 1 Berries, 2 Meats)

Ask Laika 3.png

"Hey Laika, how would you like to meet the other survivors (Wilson's friends)? - Dragon-Mage-156

Laika: I would love to learn more about Wilson’s people. He’s told me so many stories already about them and I can’t wait to meet them in the flesh when we find them. I’m going to have so many stories to tell my friends and family back in my village.

Ask Laika 4.png

"So, Laika, how is a normal day for you?" - nightwonder7

Laika: On a normal day it is just hunting. It’s my duty to my people to be sure they can be fed and not starve. My only other duty is scout patrol. To be sure nothing dangerous is coming near our village. But generally, I just hunt all day. If I get extra time though I do like exploring the ruins. I like learning about the past or finding new things I could bring back to the village. Only days I don’t hunt is during Nightmare Cycles. Those days I just sleep or play games with friends.

Ask Laika 6.png

"Laika is adorable!" - tooncooro

Laika: T-Thank you.

• Like 6