Additional program ideas

Hello, everybody!

I've been lurking around for a while now, yet I finally decided to register on the forums. Essentially, I'm a modder, but I've had no experience with Lua before rushing blindly into modding one of my favourite games, so I learned as I modded and mainly just come to change values around rather than understand the actual structure, except for some bits. Still, hopefully I'll get better.

For the longest time, I've had thoughts on a few programs I could add, yet I saw my own limits quickly and thus, I'm writing around here.

Here are my ideas for programs:

Spoiler
  • Angel
    • Passive
    • Reverse nearly all Daemons, but increase program cooldowns by 1? 2?
    • Myself, I think this is more or less balanced, but the problem is that this concept is a huge buff to already great Fusion. It renders your breaking capabilities minuscule, but can be diminished by Overdrive at the cost of PWR.
    • Alternative: reverse nearly all Daemons, but increase program PWR costs by 2
    • This solves the Fusion problem and, while annoying, is worth it. Could this be the solution? Doesn't fit with the name as much, but I had a different name idea anyway - Corrupt.

• Technical info: I'm using simple Cont. Plan variables for this program: daemonReversalAdd = 100, pwrMod 2 or coolDownMod 1/2
  • Compile
    • Passive
    • Trades agents' AP for -1 PWR costs, current idea is -3 AP
    • MODIFYING AP: ...and then I realised this isn't as simple as I thought, Wings runs a function for this. But Wings is an active..? Can I circumvent the whole thing because of not having to run executeAbility?
  • Pride
    • Passive
    • Cannot reverse Daemons, agents gain +2 AP
    • MODIFYING AP: yeah, same problem as Compile.
    • Another thing - what would override in Pride-Angel combo? I had the idea of +100-100=0 (nothing overrides, all Daemon chances return to normal)but I'm not sure that would make sense. I suppose no one will run them both anyways, not worth it - gaining 2 AP but losing on PWR costs/cooldowns significantly.
  • Frost
    • 2 PWR, 3 turn cooldown
    • NULLs a captured device, preventing recapture by Hackers.
    • Yes, it's only useful in Plastech, but then there's stuff like Leash, so this program has the right to exist. I want to know, though, is null just a variable/boolean somewhere in a device's traits?
    • null shouldn't work the other way around, to prevent REcapture. It wasn't designed to, so the concept is probably not gonna work. Right?
  • Nuke
    • 7 PWR
    • Works exactly like Data Blast, but breaks 2 Firewalls in a slightly larger radius (7 instead of 5)
  • Search
    • PWR and cooldown to be balanced, 2 PWR / 4 cooldown?
    • Reveals a database, works like Oracle or Rogue
    • Databases: there are different types of databases, unlike cameras or safes... will that play in, making it impossible to detect a *random* database?

I've had a couple other ideas, but those are either unbalanced or unknown. unknowable. unknowing. uncaring how to be implemented.

Here are some quickly-mashed program icons of Angel, Compile and Corrupt. Since I might not make it anywhere with my mod due to my patience, those are free to use by anyone.

http://imgur.com/gallery/tQk0X

P.S. thanks in advance for your time and patience!

Here's one I thought of, meant to complete the "triple" with Charge and Overdrive (so it would probably cost in the 1000 range):

Compact: All programs have +1 to PWR cost and to cooldown, but gain 3 additional program slots.  It can be gotten even if you're full (it then goes into the first of the new slots.)

5 hours ago, Yitzi said:

Here's one I thought of, meant to complete the "triple" with Charge and Overdrive (so it would probably cost in the 1000 range):

Compact: All programs have +1 to PWR cost and to cooldown, but gain 3 additional program slots.  It can be gotten even if you're full (it then goes into the first of the new slots.)

Unfortunately it's not possible to add program slots because the UI is not designed to handle more than seven (one of which is reserved for Turing)

Some feedback on your programs, FreeSci

Angel: I prefer the approach wodzu_93's Reflect takes with this concept.  On-demand Daemon Reversal with a steep cost feels better and more empowering than higher chances of reversal that I can't control.  Not all of the Daemons concern me; I really want to exterminate Blowfish, Validate, Fractal, and Rubix.

Compile: This program seems fine; -3 AP is a very steep cost.  Should slow your agents down enough to compensate for Rapier breaking ice for free and Lockpick 1.0 breaking for 1 PWR each.  I would rather see, however, an active 2-3 CD program costing ~3 PWR or AP that reduces PWR costs for a single turn.

Pride: Just have both a passive and active effect.  There are a few programs like that already to reference from.  I would suggest installing a Daemon on activation, but that'd have the same problem as Feast.

Frost: Sounds neat, I'd like to see this coded.  Might be a challenge.  Have it also delay mainframe devices that are rebooting.

Nuke: Also good, and very easy to make, I might actually do this myself.

Search: I'm can't tell what has to be written to make this work, but I would definitely use this program.  Capturing a database early in a mission reveals a great deal without putting agents at risk.

I started thinking about Root, and how in its optimal use case, I have no passive PWR generation at all and spend PWR as soon as I get it to end each turn with 0 PWR.  The feeling I get it is MOVE FAST and SPEND SPEND SPEND!  Seed keeps programs running after all the PWR is spent, but the very fact of a continuous PWR drain necessitates liberal and deliberate spending.  This idea runs completely counter to my concept of ROOT: steadying, grounding, growing slowly over time into something grand and respectable.  Thus, I decided to split Root into two programs: one focuses on the PWR drain mechanic, the other on steady rooted growing.

I've decided to call the PWR drainer Furnace:

• Furnace
    • Passive
    • -2 PWR at the start of each turn after the first, -1 cooldown time, can't reduce from 1 to 0
    • I thought of -1 PWR costs, but the synergy with Rapier and Lockpick 1.0 seemed too intense.  I may add some additional benefit or -2 cooldown time.
  • Root
    • Passive
    • +2 PWR at the start of each turn, +1 PWR costs
    • My intent is to encourage the player to accumulate PWR to spend on PWR-heavy programs such as Hammer and Datablast, rather than lightweight ones like Rapier.  Seed would be of special benefit here, as it would offset the costs of expensive programs.

I have yet to playtest either of them, but I have high expectations.

On 8/7/2016 at 3:42 AM, FreeSci said:

Hello, everybody!

I've been lurking around for a while now, yet I finally decided to register on the forums. Essentially, I'm a modder, but I've had no experience with Lua before rushing blindly into modding one of my favourite games, so I learned as I modded and mainly just come to change values around rather than understand the actual structure, except for some bits. Still, hopefully I'll get better.

For the longest time, I've had thoughts on a few programs I could add, yet I saw my own limits quickly and thus, I'm writing around here.

I'm in development of a few program changes, and including your Search and Nuke (I'm just calling it Data Blast 2.0).  I'll credit you unless you say I don't need to (send me a private message).  I'm reworking Halt with new functionality, to make it more useful.  If I extend its reboot duration, that should have an effect similar to your Frost.

Search was surprisingly easy to make.  The databases have unique traits, so I just copied Rogue and made it look up those database traits instead of safe traits.

14 hours ago, DGM said:

Hang on...  Friendly firewalls?  Did I miss something?  Is this from a mod?

Nah, this isn't anything that I've seen anyone do, but sometimes I see negative firewalls showing up after I've crushed a device with more breaking power than necessary, so I think the possibility is there.

18 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

Halt is just an emp isn't it? Also can it be used on friendly firewalls? I haven't really tested it. Something more similar to the proposed Frost would be to make use of the trait mainframe_no_recapture.

Halt needs a target to do the EMP effect, which, in Incognita view, means there have to be firewalls active.  I'd have to make UI changes to make captured devices targetable, and I'm not willing to do that.  Thought about making an AoE EMP like Datablast, but a free-targeted EMP sounded too strong to me.  I'd have to make it cost something like 6 PWR and 8-turn cooldown, or affect a single tile.

I say the effect is similar to Frost because I figure that by rebooting a device, the guards can't make use of the device, and won't be recapturing the device since they still "own" it.  The added function I have in mind is to cut the target's firewalls in half if the firewalls are more than 2, and reboot the target for 2 turns if firewalls are 2 or less.  I also want to rename it "Freeze".

Since I see a flurry of activity, I'll ask you guys, do you think a program that makes an AoE EMP is fair, if it's got some hefty costs?

I had an idea for a program the Nth time I forgot to trigger Fusion. I call my idea Fission.

Fission (idea 1)

• Start the mission with 5 (3?) less power.
  • Each turn, if you have 5 or more power, gain 2 power.

I think this is a nice balance between Fusion's effective 2 power per turn, sacrificing a bit (you can't go down to 0 power during those 4 "off turns" when Fusion would work for you) for the benefit (Being forgetful kills you with Fusion). I'm not sure if losing 5 power at the start is well balanced, it means you can't hack anything on turn 1 without taking a console or losing your 2 power. So, I suspect 3 is the more correct "less power to start" choice. It is still a drawback early on but lets you actually start moving right away.

I downloaded the example API but I'll admit my eyes kinda glazed over with all the fiddly bits.

EDIT: Another alternative option I just thought of:

Fission (idea 2)

• Start the mission with 5 (or more?) less power.
  • Incognita has 5 less total power.
  • Each turn, gain 2 power.

This just shifts the total power pool down instead of not giving you power for going below 5. It essentially makes the "5 power" floor a hard one. Because of that, you should probably start with even less power, though I don't know how much less. I'm thinking 7 or 8 less, so you start with either 2 or 3 power without other programs modifying it.

@FreeSci

@SteelCrow

I have implemented Search for my programs mod. Can I ask you guys for permission to push the update out? Of course credits will be given.

@SteelCrow

I am thinking about implementing a tie-in to your items mod for NewItemsAndAugments. Are you okay with that?

On 3/11/2017 at 4:51 PM, wodzu_93 said:

@FreeSci

@SteelCrow

Did you mean to do this?

@FreeSci

@SteelCrow

On 9/6/2016 at 10:58 AM, Cyberboy2000 said:

Unfortunately it's not possible to add program slots because the UI is not designed to handle more than seven (one of which is reserved for Turing)

I take this back, the latest version of Sim Constructor allows it to be done.

I have returned to this forum!

On 3/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, wodzu_93 said:

I have implemented Search for my programs mod. Can I ask you guys for permission to push the update out? Of course credits will be given.

That's fine.  I don't want to keep such a simple and effective program from getting use.  Since it has a better effect than Rogue, I was going to add 1 turn to the cooldown and 100-200 credit cost.

I'll take partial credit for it!  I did describe my method for creating it.

When I make the time, I'll publish my own small programs mod.  Some of the changes conflict with the changes you made in your mod.

I am thinking about implementing a tie-in to your items mod for NewItemsAndAugments. Are you okay with that?

As long as I can keep my own mod published, then yes, I am fine with that.  I assume you won't be using everything, since you stayed so carefully away from modifying vanilla items.  Or not, I mean, I've always thought the original Ventricular Lance was a waste of an item slot.  Maybe you feel similarly.  I am curious what you want to tie in.

On 3/13/2017 at 1:14 AM, Cyberboy2000 said:

Did you mean to do this?

@FreeSci

@SteelCrow

How do you do that?  There's no source code option in this forum to reverse-engineer.

On 2016-09-06 at 5:08 AM, Yitzi said:

On 2016-09-06 at 10:58 AM, Cyberboy2000 said:

Is there any way to work around this? It's a shame if nods can't add program slots.

7 hours ago, boklasarmarkus said:

Is there any way to work around this? It's a shame if nods can't add program slots.

Thanks to Cyberboy, it is possible to have more slots, you need these 2 mods:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580661011&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=588953061&searchtext=

There is an option in Generation Options Plus wich allows you to set the starting amount of the program slots.

Archived