Survive the Shadows - Story

Survive the Shadows Chapter 5.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Life Lights

A few weeks went by since Willow had dropped into Wilson’s life… It was an adjustment, but it was one Wilson was glad to make… To have company…

And having more than one person around base to help with things was a relief. They could talk about different ways of how to do things and team up to build structures they needed.

“I still don’t see why we need a drying rack.” Willow had remarked one day in particular.

“Do you want spoiled meat?”

“... Nevermind, drying rack is good…” She shivered, wrapping the cloak Wilson had provided her with around herself more. The leaves were turning colors on the trees and the air was growing colder around them. Winter was coming. “Goodness, it’s coming on fast isn’t it?”

Wilson gave a sigh… Rubbing at his beard that was growing. “It really is…”

“... Why aren’t you shaving still, again?”

“.... Winter. It’s easier to just forego it. It helps my face stay warm.”

Willow gave him a look before she giggled. “Whatever you say Wilson… I’m gonna go check on the spiders… Get more silk…”

“Alright…”  Wilson watched her go. He still couldn’t fathom why his heart kept beating faster around her, or why his face seemed to become alight with the fire the woman adored so much whenever she got close.

He worked on finishing the final adjustments on the drying rack, hanging up some rabbit meat he had spent the night before curing in salt before setting them up. The last thing he wanted was to come back to a moldy piece of meat rather than the preserved item he was hoping for.

“Now… What to do….” He murmured, stealing a glance where Willow was with her spiders… It was almost like watching a dance as she dodged and weaved around the irritated arachnids, getting in a slice or two with her spear or kicking one right under a trap.

It was oddly graceful… And the look on her face…

She’s having fun working…

Willow grinned, taking off her cloak, waving it in front of a yellow and black patterned spider.

“Toro! Toro!”

It hissed before leaping at it… As she lifted it up, the spider disappearing under a trap as it bounced around.

No more came out for now, as she started collecting the goods that came from the task. She had a few scratches but that was as far as it seemed to go.

She’s quite good at dodging… Most of the time…

Willow came on over, grinning, holding up a sack.

“I think we’ll have plenty of silk and glands for the winter my friend.”

“Wonderful.” Wilson chuckled. “How is the nest looking?”

Willow looked back at it. There was a second bump on top of it. “It’s level two now. Three more weeks and it’ll be level three…. Then it’ll be time to bash it down and get the eggs for the regrowth.”

“Sounds good.” Wilson gave a nod. “Just glad we’ll have enough materials to survive the winter.”

“I just hope I can keep warm.” Willow brought her cloak tightly around herself. “I don’t know if these clothes are going to be enough.”

“I think I have a solution for that.”

“That so?” She shivered, looking at him, curiosity in her eyes.

“Over here.” He brought her over to the fire pit where two stones were sitting, seeming to absorb the heat of the flames that were currently burning. “Ah perfect.”

He picked one of them up, handing it to Willow.

“Try putting this in your pocket.”

Willow took it looking the stone over before slipping it into her pocket… Feeling relief go through her as it seemed like heat made its way through her entire being… Feeling warm rather than the chill she hadn’t been able to shake all afternoon. “... Wilson, you're a bloody genius.”

“Thank you.” He grinned. “They’re thermal stones. They absorb heat and disperse it when used. It should keep you warm when walking around.”

She smiled giving a nod. “Thank YOU for coming up with them. It’s a great idea!”

Wilson blushed a bit, thankful he had a beard at the moment to cover up some of his face.

“I’m glad.”

Willow nodded.

“We make one of heck of a team… Nothing we can’t handle around this place.”

He smiled warmly.

“There truly isn’t… We fended off those pesky hounds well enough! If we keep at it like this…. What else is there to surprise us?”

Willow grinned.

“Got that right, partner.” Willow got her things together. “I’m going to go get these properly stored. Don't want the cold freezing these glands.”

“Oh heaven forbid, that would not be pleasant.” Wilson got some of his tools, including some branches and flint. “And I’ll be refining some new spears for us. I noticed ours are getting rather dull and the blade’s about to break.”

“That would be good. Planning a hunting trip?”

“That and visiting the beefalo herd.” Wilson was checking some baskets. “They should be done with mating season and I need wool. I plan to do it tomorrow night.”

“Why tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow is the full moon. I won’t need a torch to keep Charlie away.”

“Take one ready to start just in case… What if it starts snowing and you need to charge up your stone?”

“Hm… Good point.” Wilson nodded, putting a torch in a back pack. “Better safe than sorry.”

Willow nodded, getting a pack of food together placing it in as well. “Just be safe… Don’t get hurt or I WILL get out the healing salve.”

“I will… For now, how about some meatballs for dinner?”

“... Get out of my head!”

“Never!”

oooooo

“Where’s Aunt Charlie, Abby? I miss her…! I wanna see her again… She can fix this, she always can!”

“I-I don’t know…. I really don’t know Wendy… But it’ll be okay…”

Why did we have the radio on that night? That was a big mistake…

“Say girls… I know where your aunt is…”

That’s how the two found themselves lost in the middle of a frost bitten woods. Abigail holding her sister, Wendy, close to her, the poor girl shaking like a leaf.

“Abby… I’m scared.”

“I know Wend…” Abigail held her closer. “But it’s gonna be okay…”

It was getting dark now, the light fading completely from sight as the sun disappeared from the sky. Wendy held to her sister tighter, whimpering at the loss of sight.

There was a noise heard… a rushing of wind.

“W-What was that?”

Abigail looked around blindly, trying to see where the noise was coming from.

“SCREE!”

Something bit her hard on the arm.

“AGH!”

“Abby!”

Wendy knelt by her sister, waving her arms around frantically to try and slap away whatever had hurt her sister.

“Whoever it is go away!”

Abigail was shaking. She could feel whatever had hit her was still close. It was hairy… and it had eight glowing white eyes.

Whatever it was, reared back to strike but was batted away, silenced before a scream was heard. Something else was present now… some dark figure that was touching her shoulder.

“Abigail…” a voice whispered.

The girl whimpered, trying to edge away, holding her arm. “W-What…? How do you know me…?”

Wendy hugged onto her sister, fear in her eyes. “W-What is that?”

There was a faint light as a female figure appeared before them. She was bit disfigured, the most noticeable thing being her misshapen arms that looked monster like… but the face… it was one they knew all too well.

“Please tell me you haven’t forgotten me my dears…”

The two girls gasped, shock in their eyes… Tears brimming in them.

“How could we…?” Abigail swallowed hard her voice cracking. “Aunt Charlie, we missed you so much it hurt…”

“What’s happened to you…?” Wendy looked at her arms.

Charlie frowned a bit.

“I wish I could give an answer… but I only have so much time…” She brought her hand on Abigail head, stroking her hair gently. “Oh my poor nieces… I’m so sorry…”

Abigail sniffed, throwing both her arms around her. “Don’t be… Don’t be sorry okay?”

Wendy joined in keeping close. “We missed you… We needed you…”

“I know…” Charlie hugged them close… trying to fight back urges that were coming to her mind. “But I can only do so much right now…”

Abigail looked up at her, confused before wincing, holding her arm tightly.

“Ngh!”

Charlie frowned again.

“You’ve been poisoned by a spider…”

The twins felt fear go through them. “W-What’s going to happen then…?” Abigail asked, having a bad feeling she already knew...  “A-Am I gonna die…?”

“I can save you… It’ll be temporary till you can meet someone who can revive you but… I can preserve your soul… but I need your consent. I don’t want to force you into something.”

Abigail closed her eyes tightly, gritting her teeth as another jolt of pain went through her. She opened them, looking at Wendy, seeing the fear in her eyes… The tears running down her face.

“... I can’t leave Wendy. We only got each other now… I have to take care of her…”

“Then it shall be done… You can protect her in this form…” Charlie closed her eyes, bringing her hands around Abigail, engulfing her in shadows. When they faded, a flower was only present in Charlie’s hands. “Come…” She whispered. “Revive…”

The flower floated in the air, Abigail reappearing with a white cloak around her, a sort of glow emanating from her body.

She opened her eyes, gasping a bit, looking around her and then down at herself. “Whoa…” She was floating a bit as well. “What am I…?”

“You’re a ghost my dear.” Charlie backed away a little, seeming sensitive to the glow. “You’ll be able to protect Wendy like this from the shadow monsters… and more importantly… me…”

Abigail nodded, a serious look in her eyes. “Thank you… I promise I won’t let you down… And we won’t give up on you either… Right Wend?”

“Never!” Wendy hugged Charlie one last time. “You mean too much to us!”

Charlie gave a sad smile, hugging Wendy as close as she could.

“I forgot how much light you girls brought in mine and William’s life…”

Wendy cuddled up to her, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “And you to ours… We love you Aunt Charlie…”

“So much… If there’s a way to revive me then there’s a way to fix you too… There has to be…”

Charlie nodded, taking out the flower in her hair, giving it to Wendy.

“Keep this with you… It’ll help me remember so I don’t hurt you.”

Wendy nodded, holding it close to her. “I promise I will… We’ll be safe... “

“That’s my girls…” Charlie cringed a bit, feeling the urges come back. “I have to go… stay together… and whatever you do, don’t stay in the dark and don’t starve.”

Abigail and Wendy gave a nod as Abigail pulled her sister back. “Wendy and I will be fine… Just take care of yourself too...  Goodbye…”

Charlie gave a sad smile before her face faded into darkness. White eyes were visible for a moment before they vanished with a gust of wind. Abigail hugged her sister tightly.

“I promise… I’m gonna take care of you…”

We’re going to be okay…

oooooo

“AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!” Wilson was running for dear life from an enraged beefalo, clinging tightly to the wool he had with him. “I WASN’T EVEN THAT CLOSE TO THE BABY! I WASN’T EVEN PLANNING ON SHAVING HIM!”

The beefalo snorted, trying to ram him, only to come up short, stopping as it huffed, pawing at the earth beneath it.

The message was clear: “Stay back!”

… Even if the beefalo didn’t have a single strand of hair still to its name to give its usual intimidating look.

“Got it, got it, no more.” Wilson packed away the wool, sighing relief, deciding now was a good time to head back. “Night only lasted so long…”

“Bark!” Chester wrote in the ground again.

“I bet Willow is feeling lonely.”

He felt heat rush to his face. He gave Chester an annoyed look, shoving some wool in his mouth.

“Oh shut up.”

“Ramrf!”

Wilson shook his head, starting to make his way through the snowy fields. It was rather quiet today. There were other beefalo roaming around, checking on their babies and being sure they were safe, but they were for the most part, quiet. Some eying Wilson as he passed by but soon lost interest when was far enough.

Long as I don’t have a weapon out they won’t see me as a threat.

“SCREE!”

Wilson’s head snapped towards the source, seeing what appeared to be a tallbird being… attacked by nothing?

It was running around like crazy, trying to peck at something but kept screeching as something seemed to be hitting it back.

“What in the world…?”

The tallbird soon fell over dead, turning into two large chunks of meat.

“... Chester…? You’re seeing this, right?”

“Rarf!”

They stared at the meat in silence… then noticed something approaching. A little girl with blond hair who looked half frozen. She quickly picked up the meats, keeping them close to her chest.

“N-Nice one Abigail…” She whispered, teeth chattering. “T-This’ll make good breakfast.”

“Wish I could’ve gotten you some wool to line your shirt with… But the beefalo were all bald. It was the oddest sight…”

“We’ll just have to f-find another herd.”

Wilson was still silent… wondering if he should say something…

But the poor girl looks half frozen… and so young too… I don’t know what killed that tallbird but a child is a child… I can’t leave her like that.

He hurried over to the girl, waving a bit.

“Hey! You there!”

The girl gasped, stumbling back slipping on a patch of ice… winding up wedged between a few boulders. “Owie!” She whimpered, before holding the meat closer. “Y-You can’t have it! It’s-It’s mine!”

“Eh? I don’t want your meat.” Wilson frowned, kneeling to her level. “Just couldn’t help but notice you look half frozen.”

The girl looked at him, shivering even as she tried to bring her collar up more around her neck. “I…. I’m fine…” Not really… But we can’t trust a lot of people…

Wilson shook his head, offering a hand to her.

“Let me help you. I promise I’m not here to steal anything.”

She looked at his hand before looking up at his eyes… More so looking past him. After a few moments of silence she nodded, taking his hand…. Her own as cold as ice.

“Oh you poor thing.” Wilson helped her up, letting go of her hand quickly as he dug into his pocket, pulling out his thermal stone. “Here, hold this.”

She blinked taking it into her hands… Sighing a bit, feeling some warmth come back. “T-Thank you…”

“You’re welcome… What’s your name little lady?”

“Wendy… My name’s Wendy mister… What’s yours?” She asked, tilting her head a bit.

Wilson pulled a cloak out of Chester, wrapping it around her shoulders.

“Wilson Percival Higgsbury.”

“Ooo…. That’s a nice name Mr. Higgsbury…” She looked at Chester before hesitating as she petted his head. “I like your… Puppy thing…”

Wilson chuckled.

“His name is Chester, he’s been with me since I arrived in this world.”

Chester nuzzled her, barking happily.

Wendy giggled, kissing the top of his head. “Well, nice to meet you Chester.”

“Arf!”

Better get going soon though… Now that I’m warming up a little bit…

“Would you like to join me for breakfast?” Wilson offered. “I was just heading back to my base.”

That got her attention as she looked at him surprised. “You… don’t mind…?”

“I don’t mind at all. I have plenty of food back there… and I don’t think I like the idea of someone as young as you staying out here by yourself in this weather.”

“I’m a big girl… I-I was okay-” Even as she was trying to say this she was huddling more into the borrowed cloak enjoying the warmth it gave off.

Wilson smiled gently, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“I bet you were handling yourself very well. You’re a big girl for making it this far.”

Wendy smiled a little. “T-Thank you…”

“You’re welcome…” Wilson patted her head. “I just want to help you… I’m not asking for anything in return… I’ve just learned being out here it’s best not to leave others behind. Especially those in need.”

Wendy had a bit of a shy look before nodding.

“Okay… You seem really nice Mr. Higgsbury… Right Abigail?”

“He seems alright.” A new voice said, as another girl, who shared Wendy’s appearance aside from the cloak around her shoulders, materialized beside her.

Wilson jumped back, falling on the snow.

“W-What the!? How did you..!?”

The twin girls laughed.

Abigail floated over to him.

“To put it bluntly… I’m dead.”

Wilson just stared… speechless.

… This offends me as a scientist! THAT ISN’T EVEN POSSIBLE! YET SHE’S FLOATING RIGHT THERE!

Abigail stared him down, crossing her arms, as she floated in place.

“So are you going to feed my sister or am I gonna have to catch ‘er if she gets dizzy from not eating soon enough?”

Wilson composed himself before getting back up.

“I have questions… but I will ask them later, for now.” Wilson offered his arms to Wendy. “I think food is the first priority.” Wendy reached up, looping her arms loosely around Wilson’s neck as he lifted her up into his arms. “Let’s get you girls back to base… Get this one warmed up by the fire.”

“I’d like that…” Wendy huddled close, burying part of her face in Wilson’s long beard. “Hee… fluffy!”

He chuckled, stroking her hair as he walked, Chester bounding after them. “To keep myself warm in the winter… I apologize.”

“It’s okay, I like it!” Wendy giggled. “Kind of like Papa was when he didn’t shave!”

“Oh those were amusing times.” Abigail giggled. “We’d tie bows in his beard.”

Wilson’s gaze softened. “I’m sure he misses you both…”

“... Maybe…” Wendy whispered. “I hope he’s not worrying too much….”

“Heaven has him busy I’m sure… Papa would’ve been one of the best angels…”

Wilson frowned.

“I see…” He held Wendy closer. “Don’t worry… I’ll help keep you safe.”

Wendy hugged onto him a little tighter.

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

Wendy relaxed against him at this, curling up a little. Wilson kept her close as they made their way back.

As soon as they got up to the house, he wasted no time setting Wendy in front of the fire pit, quickly getting it lit.

“Make yourself comfortable, I’ll be right back with some food.”

“Okay…”

Wilson looked around the base frantically, shedding off some of his gear.

“Willow! Willow where are you!?”

“Out here Wilson!” Willow was tending to what was left of the garden. “What’s got you so frantic?”

“I’ll explain in a moment. Could you get a small coat fashioned out of this wool?” He had Chester hop over to her, opening his mouth so she could access the wool.

“Of course…” Willow was confused but took it and got the sewing kit also stored inside, out. “I’ll do my best.”

“Thanks.” Wilson hurried into the kitchen, getting his gloves off and slipping his apron on, throwing things into the crockpot at a rapid pace. “Okay… Hopefully this’ll be enough.”

After a moment, he had honey ham in his arms wrapped in a leaf, hurrying back to the fire pit.

“Breakfast!” He chimed, setting it down in front of Wendy. “Here you go.”

Wendy’s eyes were wide. “Wow… Thank you!” She took a bite, squealing a little at how it tasted. “Yummy!”

Abigail sighed in relief as her sister started digging in. Thank goodness… She’s barely let much pass her lips in three days trying to make it last… That tallbird was going to be the first real meal she had in a few days…

Wilson smiled, patting her head.

“Eat up. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Wilson dusted himself off, bumping into Willow on his way to the kitchen. “Oh uh sorry didn’t see you there.”

She had a small coat slung over her arm, concern in her eyes as she looked at the girls. “So this is what you wanted the coat for… Oh those poor little girls…”

“Yeah…” Wilson looked back to them frowning. “Wendy was freezing when I found her… and her sister, Abigail… I… don't’ know what to think but at this rate questions are pointless.”

Willow’s eyes narrowed.

“What did they want so bad that making a deal with Maxwell seemed worth it?”

“I don’t know yet… I just know one of them is a live and the other is a ghost…. I think… I’m still confused… and offended as a scientist.”

Willow elbowed him, a bit roughly. “Not so loud!”

“Eep! Sorry!”

“Just make some dragon pie or something Wildork.”

“I-I beg your pardon!?”

WILDORK!?

Willow smirked.

“You heard me loud and clear. Now, if you’ll excuse me, we have guests.”

Wilson was red in the face, but nodded as he made his back into the kitchen.

Wildork… What kind of name is that!?

Wendy was finished with her meal, huddled up in her cloak as she watched the fire burn.

Willow went over to her, kneeling to her level. “Hi there… My name’s Willow… You two must be Wendy and Abigail… Wilson was telling me about you two.”

“Hi there…” Wendy gave a shy look. “We didn’t know Wilson had a lady in the house with him. Are you Mrs. Higgsbury then?”

Willow blushed bright red. “N-No, I’m just Willow…. JUST Willow, no Miss or Mrs, anything.”

“So what is he to you?” Abigail asked keeping close to her sister. “Are you courting?”

“C-Courting?”

“You know… Um…” Wendy pondered for a moment. “Getting to know each other before deciding to pop the question? Is that how Daddy explained it? I know Uncle William was courting Aunt Charlie.”

“Yep.” Abigail smirked. “So are you?”

“Me and WILDORK?! No, no NEVER!”

“Oh… Okay!” Wendy smiled innocently. “You’re just a lady friend then. Well either way, nice to meet you Willow.”

“N-Nice to meet you too… Oh! Here.” Willow handed her the coat. “Bit warmer than just a cloak and a thermal stone. Custom made for the little lady.”

Wendy’s eyes lit up as she took the coat, slipping it on, sighing in relief.

“That feels a lot better… it’s so fuzzy.”

“Yeah beefalo hair is like that.” Willow sat beside her, watching the flames. “Wilson spent all night shaving them to get it.”

“Oh! That would explain why they were bald.” Wendy giggled.

“Yeah, Wilson gets rather… Giddy when he knows it’s a good chance to do it.” Willow shook her head. “He was practically skipping out of here he was so gleeful.”

“Ah… I see.” Wendy giggled again. “Well, least we’ll be warm.”

“Yup.” Willow smiled. “And well fed… Wilson’s a really good cook.” And kind and smart and even if he can be dorky and a touch arrogant sometimes, he’s sweet…

“Agreed.” Wendy looked to her sister, frowning a bit. “Sorry you can’t really have any, Sis.”

Abigail shook her head.

“It’s alright, Wend. I’ll try it when I’m alive again.”

Willow frowned, looking at Abigail.

“Pardon me for asking but… how did you…?”

“Die?” Abigail sighed. “I got bit by a spider… poisoned…”

Willow brought a hand over her mouth.

“Goodness… you poor thing.”

“It was scary…” Wendy hugged her sister. “I’m glad Auntie Charlie showed up when she did.”

“Charlie…” Willow hummed in thought. “Funny… your aunt has the same name as the monster Maxwell mentioned to me and Wilson to avoid.”

“Don’t call her that! She’s not…” Wendy sighed. “Well… she wasn’t… originally…”

Abigail hugged her sister closer.

“Wendy…”

Willow’s eyes got wide as it clicked.

“Charlie… is YOUR Aunt Charlie?”

“Yes… We don’t know what happened to her but… We want to help her… She helped save Abigail from being gone forever so we owe it to her.” Wendy got a determined look. We’re not gonna lose her too.”

“I can respect that… I can totally respect that.” Willow’s gaze softened. “You two love your family a lot… It’s worth fighting for…”

Abigail looked at her sister. “She’s all I have left… Why wouldn’t I fight to protect her? And Aunt Charlie is family too…”

“It’s what Uncle William would’ve wanted… He would’ve wanted her safe.”

“Uncle William huh?”

The girls nodded.

“He was our Papa’s brother… He disappeared the night Papa passed away..” Wendy lowered her head. “He loved her so much…”

“And they were so happy…”

Willow placed a hand on Wendy’s shoulder, giving a small smile.

“I’ll do what I can to help get your aunt back… and if anything, I bet you Wilson could find a way. He’s really smart.”

“You think so?”

“Well, Wilson can get a lot of things accomplished when he puts his mind to it. Especially if there is a goal involved.”

Aunt Charlie did say to hold on til we could meet someone who could revive me… Abigail thought looking into the kitchen where Wilson was.

I bet he can figure out how… And to save Aunt Charlie… After all… If you can revive the dead you can reverse a curse. Right?

“That’d be wonderful.”

• Like 5

Survive the Shadows Chapter 6.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Fragments

“They’re related to THAT thing…!?”

Wilson looked at Willow stunned before looking back into the area around the fire pit, seeing the two little girls fast asleep, Abigail’s cloak draped over her sister partially. “But… they’re nothing like... It.”

Willow crossed her arms.

“Well, this adds a new view on Charlie then. SHE wasn’t always like this. You’ve seen what’s possible in this world. I think it’s quite plausible Charlie is someone who got cursed.”

The scientist ran a hand through his hair as he processed the possibility. “And Maxwell knew her name rather than just calling her the monster… So she was human… Which means there’s a way to reverse it… Goodness, that’s going straight into alchemy….”

“Well, if you can find a way that would be good… and something to bring Abigail back maybe?”

Wilson gave a nod. “I’ll begin researching immediately… I have been wondering about supposed revival methods considering how many things in this world want us dead…”

“Yeah… Not that I want to find out what it’s like to die here.” Willow shuddered. “Or see you die.”

Wilson frowned, squeezing her shoulder. “I promise you, that’ll never be a concern… I swear it…”

Willow looked him right in the eyes.

“Promise?”

He didn’t look away, instead taking both her hands into his. “I promise on my very life.”

Willow nodded, hugging him quickly.

“Then I promise the same thing.”

He hugged her back, tightly.

“It’s a deal then, my fair lady.”

oooooo

“Do the magic! Do the magic!”

“Alright, alright, only this once for you little ladies in private. Only because Jack is your father.”

“Yay! You’re the best!”

“Always the best!”

Maxwell found himself pacing around his throne room, his mind wracked with memories he found himself unfamiliar with. They had come to him late in the night and they didn’t seem keen on leaving him.

I didn’t know those two girls… I never knew any children personally… and who on Earth was Jack?

There was some hissing heard from around him. He narrowed his eyes a bit, growling.

“Don’t give me that, I brought more people in, I get to be out of my throne for a while because of that so don’t even start, Shadows!”

There was a screech coming from nearby that echoed out of the darkness.

“You…!”

Maxwell’s head snapped towards the source, surprised at hearing the voice.

“Charlie…?”

Charlie tried getting closer but the light around the area sent her reeling. “What have you done?” She questioned growling a bit. “What did you DO!?”

“Eh?” Maxwell got a confused look. “This is the first time you’ve spoken to me in a long time and I’m met with this? I don’t know what you’re talking about. The only things I do is bring people in so I’m not stuck to that stupid throne all the time.”

Charlie snarled.

“Abigail and Wendy… They… They didn’t do anything to deserve this… They’re TEN. What would Jack say-”

“There’s that name again.” Maxwell went back to pacing. “I don’t KNOW a Jack but I FEEL like I do!”

Charlie growled, trying again to step into the light, furious. “This is all your fault… ALL OF IT!”

Maxwell growled, glaring at her.

“Oh, pin it all on me eh!? Says the one who has a hard time keeping her humanity together!”

Charlie gasped, stepping back, feeling as if she had been slapped.

“... At least I tried to protect the ones I love… Instead of dropping them next to a spider den…”

Maxwell held his glare for another moment before it faltered a bit… a different look in his eyes appearing for a moment.

“Charlie…”

She shook her head, keeping to the shadows.

“You still try huh…? Try to come out…?”

Maxwell shook his head, turning away from her.

“I have my masters to obey, Charlie… I give them what they want, by bringing people who want something here.”

Charlie lowered her head.

“You couldn’t give those two what they wanted… Jack would be disgusted with you if he knew what you did to his girls…”

Maxwell clenched his fists.

“I know no man by that name… I don’t know those two girls… They knew you though…”

“They’re…. My… NIECES!” Charlie shrieked as it faded into a frustrated scream. “They’re YOURS-”

Maxwell whirled around back at her, his glare returning.

“OUT WITH YOU GRUE! I WANT TO HEAR NO MORE OF THIS!”

Charlie let out an inhuman scream that echoed through the chamber in return, disappearing from sight.

Monster. You're the monster not me…

Maxwell held his glare for another moment before turning away, bringing his hands to his head.

Jack… Abigail… Wendy… They all seem so familiar… Yet… at the same time they don’t…

He gripped his hair a bit.

Oh Charlie… I’m so sorry…

I hope you can forgive me one day for what I’ve done to both of us.

oooooo

“Hm…” Wilson was out and about gathering rocks, letting his mind wander as he did. “How to bring someone back from the dead… how to bring… someone…” He hung his head a bit. “Ugh… Chester, I don’t know if I’ll be able to figure that out… This is more so like witchcraft rather than science…”

Chester nudged his side before scratching into the dirt: “That’s what you said about the alchemy engine.”

“... Touche’ but alchemy is a type of science… A very odd and possibly outside of this realm fictional one but still… This… it really is more like delving into magic…”

“Rarf.”

Wilson sighed again, running a hand through his hair.

“I’ll figure something out… but it’ll probably be awhile… and might take a miracle.”

Thud! Thud! Thud!

“... What was that?”

Wilson looked around, readying his spear, seeing the area around them seemed to be vibrating.

“Earthquake?”

“Rarf!”

KABOOM!!!

“TAKE THIS YA BEAST!”

“What in the blazes!?”

Wilson and Chester crept up over a large gold veined rock seeing a young woman in…. warrior garb? Fighting against a tallbird… With another person beside her… a… mime?

“What on…?”

“Over here!”

Another man appeared, a rather muscular one who gave the bird a hard punch, knocking it into a field of… balloons?

POP! POP! POP! POP! POP!

The bird let out a screech before falling over dead, as the woman rushed between the remaining balloons, grabbing up the meat that was dropped. “Aye, that was a great one boys!”

The muscular man took a bow.

“Thank you, Wigfrid. You were wonderful as well.”

The mime gave a thumbs up.

There was a screeching noise heard as another person approached… a man… made of metal?

“ORGANIC BEINGS, YOU LEFT ME BEHIND WITH THAT STUPID HAIRY MONSTER!!”

“Oi, oi WX… We didn’t mean to. You said you were “AT OPTIMUM FUNCTIONALITY.” Wigfrid smirked.

“IT IS WX-78 THANK YOU AND I WAS UNTIL I RAN OUT!”

Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud!

“EEEEEE IT APPROACHES!”

The others got into position as Wilson looked around trying to spot what they were preparing for.

… Oh…. Fiddlesticks...

A giant wolf like creature came into view, staring them down, growling.

“Wes, better make some more balloons.” The muscular man said as he rolled back his sleeves. “This one’s probably gonna need a lot of them.”

The mime, Wes, nodded, getting right to work, inflating balloons at rapid speed as the others charged at that creature.

“C’mere you varg!” Wigfrid shrieked as she thrusted her spear at it. “We’re not scared of the likes of you!”

The varg snarled, snapping at her as she dodged, getting in a swipe before it sniffed the air… looking right at Wilson.

“... Oh no. No, no no…” The scientist lept off his rock as the creature ran straight for it smashing through with ease. “AHHHH!”

“Bli’ me!” Wigfrid gasped. “Hang on, we’ll take care of it!” Wigfrid looked to the muscular man. “Wolfgang, get ‘im!”

Wolfgang grinned, rushing on over, punching the varg away from Wilson.

“You leave the little man alone!”

Wilson spun around, spear in hand. “Excuse me!? Little man!? I am five foot ten thank you very much-” The varg roared, cutting him off. “Aand this is a bad time!” He took a jab himself, dodging to the side.

The creature shrieked, trying to swipe at him.

“Oi oi oi!” Wigfrid called, standing next to a huge field of balloons. “Over here ugly!”

The varg snarled, charging right at her. She smirked as he rolled to the side, the varg getting tangled in balloons as they exploded all at once.

It fell over as a red gem along with several chunks of meat appeared where it was.

“That will never stop being strange.”

“Indeed, but least Wes has his ways.” Wolfgang crossed his arms, looking at WX-78. “Anything else to complain about, Shiny?”

WX-78 huffed, turning away from them.

“NO.”

Wigfrid shook her head.

“Now, now, boys…” She looked to Wilson. “I think we got something more important to know right now.”

“Ah right.” Wolfgang looked to Wilson as well.

Wes walked up, curiosity in his eyes.

“AH YES. THE NEW ORGANIC BEING. AS IF THERE WERE NOT ENOUGH OF YOU.”

“Can it, WX-78.” Wigfrid glared at him before looking at Wilson again. “Pardon him, he’s just naturally annoying.”

Wilson was just staring at WX-78 for a few moments. “... Is that a man in a suit of armor or… some kind of automaton..?”

“We honestly don’t know.” Wigfrid shrugged. “He’s a strange one.”

“Yup.” Wolfgang nodded. “But we keep him around since we need him as much as he needs us.”

“I see…” Wilson cleared his throat. “Well, it is interesting to run into more actual people around these parts… Goodness though, Maxwell just loves torturing us all doesn’t he?”

Wigfrid got a surprised look in her eyes.

“You’ve seen him? As in seen him recently?”

Wilson scowled. “As recently as the end of autumn. He was quite intent on bothering me during my harvest.”

Wigfrid frowned.

“I see…” She looked to the others. “Guess he hasn’t changed much has he?”

“Well, what did you expect?” Wolfgang scowled. “He was off the deep end when we last saw him. You expect him to be back to his old self with just a short passage of time, hm?”

“Don’t snap at me Wolf!” Wigfrid crossed her arms. “I could hope…. He wasn’t always like that you know…”

Wolfgang sighed.

“I know, I know. Sorry just… still not happy about being here… but I can’t blame him entirely.”

Wilson had a twitch in his eye.

“Not entirely… NOT ENTIRELY!?”

They cringed.

“Y-Yes… Not entirely-”

“How could you NOT blame him entirely!? HE probably did the same thing you that he did to me! Tricked you into coming here by saying he could give you something!”

Wolfgang shook his head.

“That’s not the case for us.”

“FOR THREE OUT OF FOUR OF US.”

“Quiet, WX-78.”

Wilson narrowed his eyes. “I want an explanation and for the love of science SOMEONE make SENSE! Because as far as I know he is the most absolute disgusting piece of SCUM that was ever born!”

Wigfrid looked to everyone in the group before focusing on Wilson, crossing her arms.

“Listen, pointy hair man-”

“Wilson. My name is Wilson.”

“Sorry, Wilson. Listen… I’m not going to deny Maxwell is horrible. He’s doing a lot of stuff he should not be doing like dragging new people here and basically committing man slaughter… But the thing is, we were brought here by mistake. He never intended for the three of us here to be in this world, let alone Charlie as well.”

Wilson’s eyes grew wide. “Wait… you KNEW them!?”

“Maxwell and Charlie?” Wigfrid raised an eyebrow. “Aye, they were in the circus with us.”

“They were quite the pair too.” Wolfgang chuckled. “The Amazing Maxwell and his assistant Charlie… Least before he went insane.”

Wilson frowned.

“... Did either of them have relatives?”

“Aye.” Wigfrid glanced downward. “Maxwell had a brother named Jack who had two wee lasses. Poor man was killed the night we were all brought here.”

Wilson sucked in a sharp breath.

Wes laid a hand on Wigfrid’s shoulder.

Two children… Lasses… Girls…

“... Were they twins?”

Wigfrid’s surprised look returned.

“Aye… Blond hair… I believe their names were Abigail and Wendy. They enjoyed coming to the circus. Charlie loved them to bits.”

Wilson frowned, thinking of the girls back at his base currently. The last he had seen of them, Wendy was fast asleep while Abigail was reading one of his books.

“Wendy and Abigail are here… Back at my base…”

“W-What?”

“They’re in this world…”

“No…” Wigfrid shook her head. “Oh good ‘eavens no..”

“He really has lost it.” Wolfgang frowned. “Oh Willy, what’s become of you?”

Wes lowered his head.

Wilson crossed his arms, sighing heavily. “There’s more… There is such a thing as a ghost… Abigail’s already perished and now is a spirit to protect her soul until she can be resurrected…. They’ve been through so much already. Charlie protected them it seems. I only tell you this because I don’t believe in cruel surprises.”

“I see…” Wigfrid sighed. “Glad to see Charlie still has a bit of herself… I just hope we can still save Will-Maxwell.”

Wolfgang nodded. “We’ll keep trying, just seems like he’s never going to change back.”

“Well…” Wilson mused. “... Maybe life can find a way.”

“If there’s a way that’s why we keep fighting.”

“We ‘avn’t lost hope yet…”

Wes gave a determined look.

Wilson smiled.

“... Well, after this eventful day, can I interest you folks in a good meal?”

“Hm… Maybe… We wouldn’t wan’ to impose on ya. Food is kind of valuable here after all.”

Wilson then gave a grin.

“That’s what those who live with me also said at first. We have plenty and I know a thing or two. Come, I can make enough for ever

one.”

“Well…. alrigh’ then.” Wigfrid gave a wave, the others gathering behind, all following Wilson as they began to walk. “Oh yeah, just so you know all our names. I’m Wigfrid, the mime is Wes, Mr. Muscles is Wolfgang, and the robot is WX-78.”

“Pleased to meet you all.”

Wigfrid smiled.

“I wonder if the girls remember us… It’s been so long…”

Wilson gave a curious look. “How long has it been?”

“Goodness… Hm…” Wigfrid looked to WX-78. “You seem to keep track of everythin’ and we met you not too long after we got here. Care to enlighten us?”

“YOU HAVE ALL BEEN HERE FOR 765 DAYS.”

Wigfrid cringed.

“Two years then…”

Wilson cringed as well. “Goodness, and I thought Chester and I had been here a long time. This is only our second winter.”

“We’ve made it through thick and thin. Some close calls but we’ve made it. We’ve had our drive. We’ve admittedly haven’t seen Max since then. Last time we saw him was during the accident.”

“Skinny man got too big for his britches. We all paid the price.” Wolfgang huffed. “This world is not kind to us.”

“I can empathize.”

“It was all that darn book’s fault that’s what.” Wigfrid growled. “If he had never gotten that thing this wouldn’ have happened.”

“WE CAN PLAY BLAMING GAMES ALL YOU WANT BUT IT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE OUR CURRENT PREDICAMENT.” WX-78 interjected. “AS YOU HUMANS SAY. IT IS BEST TO FOCUS ON THE NOW RATHER THAN THE PAST.”

“Righ’ righ’… Sorry…” Wigfrid shook her head. “I just miss Ol’ Willy.”

Wes hesitated before he reached out, squeezing her shoulder, giving a sympathetic look. He missed their old friend too.

Wilson kept quiet, knowing this was not a moment to interrupt. Instead, he focused on leading the way back to his base, Chester bounding right next to him.

It just gets more and more confusing from here doesn’t it?

• Like 5

Survive the Shadows Chapter 7.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Light and Shadow

It wasn’t long before they were at the camp. Willow was up and about, tending to things as the girls were busy looking over materials.

“Oi!” Wilson called. “We have guests!”

“Guests?” Willow looked up, as did the girls.

Wigfrid’s eyes went straight to the twins, a warm smile coming to her face.

“Wendy… Abigail… Look at you two lasses...”

They were stunned, quiet, before they ran straight to her, hugging her around the waist.

“Wigfrid!”

“You’re here! You’re okay!”

Wigfrid laughed, lifting the two up as she hugged them.

“And still kickin’. Oh I missed my two favorite lasses. And you remember Wes and Wolfgang, righ’?”

“Of course!” Abigail smiled looking at the two. “The amazing strong man and the best mime in the whole world!”

“We loved you guys! And still do!” Wendy added, hugging Wigfrid a bit tighter.

“It’s good to see you again.” Wigfrid smiled.

“Indeed.” Wolfgang ruffled Wendy’s hair. “Jack’s little girls, our favorite audience members.”

Wes nodded, making a balloon animal.

Wilson stepped back, heading over to Willow. Willow was just smiling at him as he approached.

“You just have a knack for finding people, don’t you?”

He blushed a bit, rubbing the back of his neck. “More like the varg they were hunting found me instead. It… was quite chaotic. But they knew them… and missed them. I couldn’t just leave them there.”

“I see… Well, the more the merrier. I’ll get some food prepped-”

“Aye, let me help.” Wigfrid hurried over, producing a bag full of meat. “If you got a crock pot I can make us some meat stew.”

“We do, actually.” Willow smiled, giving a wave of her hand. “Follow me. I’m Willow by the way.”

“Wigfrid, nice to meet ya.”

The two hurried off to the kitchen, Wilson heading back to everyone else. They were gathered around the fire pit. WX-78 keeping to himself, Wes fiddling with his hands, and the twins sitting on the shoulders of Wolfgang.

“Haha, can still hold you girls up just fine.” Wolfgang grinned.

Abigail and Wendy were giggling as they held on. “Still stronger than even Papa!” Abigail laughed.

“Yup! Remember that time you picked him and Uncle Will up? That was funny!”

“Darn right I do! They were so surprised.”

“Yup.” The twins kept giggling, even as they were set down. It was for them, one of the happiest times since they had gotten to this

world.

Wilson smiled, taking a seat around the fire pit.

“So, you were all very close?”

“Oh yeah.” Wolfgang smiled. “While I might’ve been harsh on Willy for not being muscular, he was genuine. And well, since Jack liked visiting the circus to see his brother perform, he would bring his little girls here to watch, and of course, being family to Willy, that got them backstage rights.”

“I see.”

“Yup.” Abigail chirped. “We’d get to play and they’d show us their acts or let us help out just a little bit. Couldn’t do a whole lot, but we could cheer and stuff.”

“And we always appreciated it.”

Wigfrid and Willow came in with pots full of stew.

“Meat stew fer everyone!” Wigfrid cheered. “Valkyrie special!”

“Yes!”

“It’ll be a feast then!”

Wilson chuckled as he helped get it served up. “It looks delicious ladies.”

“Wigfrid did most of the work, meat’s something she’s good with cooking.” Willow smiled a bit sheepishly. “I only cut it up.”

“Meat’s my favorite thing.”

Wolfgang leaned in close to Wilson’s ear.

“Rather that’s her character’s favorite thing. She’s very dedicated to her act.”

Wilson blinked. “So, she doesn’t eat any vegetables?” He whispered.

“Again, dedicated to her act. Doesn’t stray from it, even if you offered it to her.”

He shrugged. To each their own he figured.

Odd though…. Usually you need more than just meat to get all your nutrition… Then again… This world is odd.

Wigfrid munched away happily at her meat, sighing a bit.

“Ah, nothing like meat stew…”

“Something we enjoyed back at the circus that’s for sure… Well, save Willy. Meat didn’t seem to sit well with him sometimes.” Wolfgang chuckled.

“Oh, he could eat meat just fine. He just ate too fast.”

Wilson snorted a bit. “Sounds like someone I know.”

“One time Wilson. One. TIME!” Willow nudged him in the shoulder.

Everyone burst out laughing.

“How long have you two been together hm?” Wigfrid grinned. “You sound like Willy and Charlie back when they were courting.”

Both turned bright red. “M-Me? Court HIM? B-But…” Willow stammered. “N-No nothing like that!”

“He’s the Wildork.” Wendy chirped as Wilson turned to Willow, giving her a glare.

“Ah sorry…” Wigfrid shook her head.  “Shouldn’ jump to conclusions like that. You just reminded me of our friends. Willy and Charlie always had funny spats from time to time but would quickly get over them.”

“Honestly, we’re like that as well…” Wilson rubbed the back of his neck once again, glad he had a beard that covered most of the red that came to his face. But… I still don’t understand why my heart races around her… or when people do… what they just did… Confound her she confuses me…

“Well, even friends are like that too.” Wigfrid chuckled. “We all had our spats with Willy and Charlie. Charlie and I often got into silly spats. Mainly over fashion. Couldn’t blame her though. Out of any women I met she was probably one of the most beautiful and who knew her stuff. Heh, it's no surprise Willy fell head over heels for her.”

“Oh yes… Though you have your own beauty to you Wig’... Right Wes?” Wolfgang elbowed the mime as he looked away quickly with a sheepish look.

“Ah Wessy…” Wigfrid giggled.

Wilson chuckled a bit before a serious look came to his eyes.

“Since you were close with Ma-William… Tell me… When did…” Wilson looked around him. “This, all begin?”

Wigfrid frowned, glancing at the ground.

“I mentioned a stupid book earlier. I honestly blame that thing more than anything else.”

“What book?”

“Codex Umbra.”

Wilson got a curious look in his eyes. He had never heard of such a book before. “Where on Earth would he find such an oddity? I’ve never heard of it…”

“Crazy old woman…”

“Who?”

Wigfrid sighed.

“Little something about Willy. While he was a pretty good magician he… wasn’t considered the greatest. He could do all sorts of tricks but wouldn’t be considered outstanding. He found himself in a bit of a slump and well… he was desperate to find a way to make his magic really stand out.”

The scientist cringed as he remembered that fateful night that lead him to this world.

I was desperate to do something worthwhile… To create something truly outstanding…

“And so… he went around asking. He heard of some librarian that had weird books. Of course, they weren’t open to the public but… something… I don’t know…” Wolfgang rubbed the back of his neck. “He met someone who told him about the book and... we don’t know how, but he found his way to it. It was almost like something guided him to it. Though, I guess the librarian never found out since she never came to get the book back.”

“And Willy…” Wigfrid sighed. “He started off so well… He had his confidence back… He and Charlie were completely in love…”

“Then…” Wolfgang looked at the ground. “He started falling apart.”

“How so…?”

“Well… we didn’t think much of it at first. His appearance changed a bit but… then his attitude started to change as well. He’d have bouts of just being down right insane. Saying out of this world things and even lashing out at us with his magic like a mad man. All but Charlie. It was like he only remembered her during the lashing out, but everyone else… he forgot entirely. Even his brother, Jack.”

Wendy and Abigail held onto each other a bit, hearing their father’s name.

“Papa was really sad about that… Uncle Will didn’t act like himself…” Wendy murmured.

“We kept trying of course. Then he started using a different name…”

“Maxwell…” Wilson looked to the twins. “Did you… recognize him when he brought you here? Or did he never show himself?”

“We only saw Charlie.” Wendy whimpered.

“It was night…” Abigail lowered her head. “There was something behind us… Something that wouldn’t stop hissing and then… It bit me… It was a spider… Those yellow ones?”

“A spider warrior…” Willow whispered. “Goodness.”

“Charlie chased them off… That was the only person we saw till we ran into you. We didn’t see him for a long time. Papa was scared to bring us near him.”

“I remember…” Wigfrid shook her head. “We tried to help him but… nothing worked… Then…” She brought her hands around herself, grabbing at her sleeves. “That fateful night…”

Wilson frowned. “He snapped?”

“It was his show’s finale… He did something different…”

“He tried to pull shadow’s incarnate out of the book… and before we knew it… We were all dragged into the book. Last thing we heard was all the screaming… Then we woke up here.” Wolfgang shuddered. “It was awful…”

“And Jack…”

“WILLIAM! DON’T!!”

The trio fell quiet. The twins, hugged each other, sniffling quietly.

“... Papa never came home.” Abigail whispered, burying her face in her twin’s hair.

Wilson looked over to the twins, a heartbroken look in his eyes.

“He really paid the price that night… didn’t he?”

“When you mess with shadows, they ask for something in return… for Maxwell… He asked of them too much.” Wigfrid growled a bit. “They made him pay in full. Taking him as their king and turning Charlie into a monster.”

“And now he brings people here…” Willow got up, going to the girls and bringing her arms around them. “I can’t believe it… But there has to be a way right…? To fix it?”

“Heaven only knows.” Wigfrid shrugged. “Or the lady who owned the Codex Umbra but for all we know she’s probably dead. She was rather old… Least, from what we heard.”

Wilson fell quiet as he drifted back into his thoughts.

He used to be a good man… Clearly a man who was cared for… And now a mad man, who’s utterly lost his mind… Likely either making people suffer because he can now or to try to appease the shadows… Goodness though, from what I heard… He’s caused so much death… Even the death of his brother and niece…

“I don’t know what your plans are… but even if we don’t know how, we’re going to try and find a way to save him.” Wigfrid got a determined look. “He may be Maxwell the Shadow King but under all that he’s still our dear friend, William Carter.”

“And we WILL bring him back.”

Wilson gave a nod. “I understand… I wish you all luck…”

“Thank you.” Wigfrid got up, stretching. “And if we find a way… We’ll help you guys escape this place since that’s second on our list of things to do here.”

“Which sounds wonderful… Can you all make it back to your camp if you have one?” Wilson took a look outside. “Or would you like a place to stay for tonight at least?”

“Well…” Wigfrid looked outside as well, seeing the sun was nearly gone. “... Just for one night. After that, we need to get back to our camp since we got our own work to do.”

“But of course… and I think the girls would miss you if you just up and vanished right away…” Wilson looked over to the twins, seeing how tired they looked. “And it’s nearly time for bed for them anyway…”

Wigfrid smiled softly. “Well, how can we refuse then?”

“Indeed.” Wolfgang nodded.

“IT WOULD BE NICE TO RECHARGE A BIT.” WX-78 said as he got up, finding a place to sit down, the faint light in his eye holes dimming.

“Well, get some rest.” Wilson made his way over to the twins, taking Wendy into his arms, Willow taking Abigail. “And you girls look exhausted.”

Wendy yawned, burying her face into his shoulder a little. “Was hopin’ you wouldn’t notice…” She mumbled, curling up a little.

“He always notices…” Abigail murmured as Willow stroked her hair. “They both do.”

Wilson rocked her gently in his arms, humming softly.

He went over to the stack of bed rolls, grabbing one for Wendy, lying her down, stroking her hair, continuing to hum.

She closed her eyes, soon drifting off, Willow lying Abigail on a bed roll next to her, the spirit child fast asleep, curled up under her cloak.

“There we go…”

“Nice and comfy…” Wilson smiled, leaning down next to Wendy’s ear. “Sweet dreams.”

Wendy smiled, curling up more.

“Papa…”

There was a surprised look in his eyes before a gentle one appeared.

“I’m right here…” He whispered. “I’ll keep you safe…”

Wendy sighed happily, drifting off completely.

Willow smiled, placing a hand on his back.

“You’re a good one Wilson.”

He blushed a bit, smiling warmly. “I just want them happy…”

“And I know you can do that.” Willow gently placed her hand on his chest where his heart was. “You’ve got a good heart.”

Wilson turned a brighter shade of red as his heart started to race once more. “I… I try… I just try… and you’re an amazing young woman Willow…”

Willow blushed a bit, brushing back some of her hair.

“Just… me… the crazy fire obsessed woman.”

Wilson shook his head.

“No, you’re Willow…”

Willow’s eyes seemed to light up at the sentence.

“Wilson…”

He smiled, taking one of her hands in his.

“You’re not crazy.”

Willow squeezed his hand a little before pulling away, clearing her throat

“Um… I better go get some rest myself… You too.”

“A-Ah yes. I’ll get some fresh logs on the fire and then get to sleep… C-Come Chester-Chester?”

The little chest creature was already asleep.

Traitor.

Willow giggled a bit before grabbing a bed roll, walking off.

“Good night.”

“G-Good night.”

Why does she always work that… that magic on me…?

Wilson shook his head, grabbing logs to put in the fire, watching the flames grow as they were added. He looked to everyone else in the base, seeing all were fast asleep. He sighed, sitting down, running a hand through his hair.

So many things…. Maxwell was once a normal man… Someone like me… I meet friends of his… His relation to the twins… This all too much for my head…

He glanced outside… seeing pair of white eyes staring back at him… that almost seemed sad as they looked at him.

Wilson gasped, eyes going wide, trying to keep quiet.

… No…  He hesitated before going over to the window directly.

“... Charlie?” He whispered.

There was a low hiss… but it wasn’t a threatening one, it was gentle.

“I promise… If there’s a way to change you back… I will…”

A hand pressed against the window. It was a monstrous one… but it wasn’t trying to break the glass. Charlie just held still, staring at him… an almost hopeful look in her soulless eyes.

Wilson’s gaze softened, laying his hand over the glass, right where her hand was.

“I promise. I will heal you… You and Abigail both… And if there’s a way… I will bring back William…”

There was another hiss… Though…

“Thank you… Wilson.”

He tried to hide the shocked look he got.

“... You’re welcome, Miss…”

Charlie nodded, disappearing from sight.

• Like 5

Survive the Shadows Chapter 8.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Struggle

“William… I’m begging you, please, stop this. This isn’t you!”

“Oh really? You think you know me that well, Brother? Well guess what? You don’t. You just don’t!”

“William, please, just stop-”

“It’s MAXWELL, and I’m not stopping anytime soon. No matter what you, Charlie or ANYONE else says!”

“WILLIAM! DON’T!”

Maxwell’s eyes snapped open. He was in his throne room again, sitting in his chair. He had only closed his eyes to rest for a moment before sleep took hold of him entirely, dragging his mind to unfamiliar memories.

Brother… I had a brother…?

He got up, pacing around, rubbing his temples.

Why can’t I remember anything clearly? I see it in front of me but then… it just gets blacked out… yet the feelings linger…

His hands moved to gripping his head, growling a bit at himself.

“I hate myself… I HATE ALL OF THIS!” He lashed out, waves of shadow flames coming off his hands. “THIS ISN’T WHAT I WANTED! I just… I…”

“Do you even know what William wants? What you want? Let’s remember, we had a deal, Maxwell.”

Maxwell hissed at bit at hearing the other name.

“Who in the whole world is William? I’ve always been Maxwell… Haven’t I?”

“William is a forgotten flame. It’s better he stays forgotten unless you’re wanting more of this pain, Maxwell. He was weak… but you… you are strong. You may serve us now, but you still have power unlike any other. Just like you wanted.”

“Yes… to be the best magician… but I got more out of the deal than anyone could have asked… I’m a king… yes… Yet why do I feel so dissatisfied?”

“It’s because of William. Forget all about wanting to know about him. He’ll just make the feeling worse. You are Maxwell, the Shadow King… Charlie is nothing but a monster who walks among us. Jack is just a nuisance to be forgotten as well. He was one of the people you’ve brought here that failed. Nothing special about him. He’s just like any other mortal that has come under your spell.”

“Just forget it all. For the sake of your sanity.”

Maxwell bowed his head… nodding.

“Yes… my masters…”

“Good… Now, we believe there’s something else we need to discuss.”

Maxwell stood up straight, crossing his arms across his chest.

“And that would be…?”

The shadows formed an image of Wilson before him.

“You remember the original plan we had for this one? It’s FAILING, Maxwell.”

“What do you mean failing?” Maxwell narrowed his eyes. “He’s still struggling like any other survivor.”

“Yes… but his heart has not become corrupted as it should have by the shadows. He has changed but not in the way we expected. He was already miserable to begin with, he was supposed to be perfect. But now… it seems he’s gone the completely opposite direction of what we wanted!”

Maxwell growled quietly to himself.

“Prey-tell, how do you figure? I would think the maniac I brought in would have burned everything he owned to the ground by now.”

“Have you not been paying attention to him recently? That woman has calmed down. It seems he’s been HELPING her, and to make matters worse, he found the twins.”

“Charlie was supposed to have devoured them…” Maxwell murmured as he sighed. “What can I do to ensure he reverts back then?”

“Make him suffer… He’s happy Maxwell… Do you want this once miserable man happy? Because the longer he’s alive and has those survivors with him he’ll never be corrupted. His heart hasn’t even turned the slightest black. If anything, it has become more pure since he met the woman and even further so with the twins.”

“Then I’ll do something to ensure he’s no longer a problem… He’s useless now for our purposes… I’ll… dispose of him…” Even as he said this, Maxwell felt a chill go through him. Even if he had no issue sending problems for other survivors… Why did it feel so wrong now?

“We agree… destroy him… and destroy everything he cares about.”

Maxwell gave a bitter smile.

“I will… and I think I know just the thing to kill him.”

He looked at the ground, seeing the formation of a shadow of a certain monster. One that let out a large roar.

“Yes… That’ll work just fine.”

ooooo

“Hopefully we’ll see you again in the future, Wilson. For now, we got other things to tend to.”

“Stay safe and don’t starve.”

“Don’t plan to. Come on boys.”

Wilson sighed as he milled about the garden. He had to admit, it was hard to watch Wigfrid and the others go. Though more than anything, he just felt bad for the twins. They out of the group had the hardest time saying goodbye.

I know they just went right back to bed after they left…

He looked at where the sun was before looking at the fort. He set down his tools, heading inside to check on them. The twins were still asleep, faces a bit red around the eyes. He frowned at this.

Oh girls…

He knelt beside Wendy, stroking her hair.

“Wendy… You can’t sleep all day. You need to get up.”

She mumbled a bit, turning over.

“I don’t wanna…”

“Wendy… sleep is good, but sleeping all day isn’t going to change things.”

Wendy buried her face into her sister’s cloak, huddling closer to her.

“Dreaming is good… Dreaming of good times are good…” She mumbled, sniffling a bit.

Wilson placed his hand on her shoulder.

“But dreams only work for so long. I know it was hard to say goodbye to your friends, but I’m sure they’ll be okay. They’ve been doing this for two years after all.”

Wendy looked up, new tears brimming in her eyes. “I’m sorry...” She whispered. “Just…. Feels like we lose everyone… Daddy… Mommy… Them…”

Wilson gave a gentle look, bringing Wendy into his arms, cradling her.

“You know who you don’t have to say goodbye to?”

“Who?” She asked, laying her head on his shoulder, curiosity in her eyes.

He smiled a bit, wiping away her tears.

“Me. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon, and when I find a way out of here I’m most certainly not leaving you or Abigail behind.”

She smiled, huddling closer. “Papa…. You promise?”

Wilson found himself taken aback at Wendy calling him “Papa” again. But he kept his smile, stroking her hair, resting his head against hers.

“I promise… You and Abigail don’t have to be alone anymore.”

Wendy sighed happily, closing her eyes, nuzzling Wilson a bit.

“Thank you…”

“Anytime…” Wilson set her down. “Now, wake your sister. I could use some help around the fort. I think the drying racks could use some tending to.”

Wendy nodded, going over to her sister.

“Abigail? We got work to do. No more sleeping till night.”

Abigail yawned before getting up, floating into the air.

“Okay… Let’s get to it, Wend.”

The two scurried off, giggling a bit as they raced each other. Wilson chuckled, making his way back to the garden. He looked over to where Willow was. She was busy again with the spiders, however nothing to do with fighting them. She was gathering remains, getting the new eggs ready to plant.

Always on top of it… Just glad things are going well… Still need to look into answers concerning everything else but one step at a time…

He looked at the garden. While winter was still holding strong, some of the snow was starting to melt which meant it wouldn’t be too long before he could start growing things again. Just had to be sure the ground was properly tended to.

Another winter almost over… hopefully it might be our last.

Thud!

Huh?

He looked around, wide eyed, stumbling a bit from the sudden jolt in the ground.

Thud! Thud!

He looked to the tool wrack, seeing some of the tools were shaking in place and as was the fort.

“RAUGGGH!!!”

“... That sounded big.”

Wilson hurried over to the tool wrack, grabbing his spear, bolting away from the camp.

“Wilson!?” Willow called, trying to run after him. “What’s going on? What was that noise?”

“I don’t know, but stay here at the camp with the girls, I’m going to check it out!”

Wilson ran further ahead, following the source of the noises, feeling the vibrations in the earth getting stronger. And then… he saw it. His eyes widened as it came into view.

It was a giant deer like creature that stood on its hind legs and had one eye ball. It looked around, growling and hissing at everything in its path.

“What… in science…?” Wilson stumbled back a bit. “A… deer cyclops…? … A deerclops?”

The deerclops seemed to have heard him as its eye looked at him, growling before letting out a loud roar.

Wilson cringed a bit, covering his ears.

And what a roar!

He shook his head, narrowing his eyes.

No matter… Something like that could destroy the camp! I can’t let it get near the girls!

He ran up towards it, keeping his eyes locked with its single eye.

“Hey! You want me!? Come and get me you beast!” He yelled, running right under its legs, heading for the opposite direction of the camp.

The deerclops growled, following after him, swiping at the ground, creating icebergs that nearly got Wilson.

“Whoa!” He jumped, stumbling a bit, but kept running. “Oh, I see how it is. Trying to turn me into a popsicle, eh? Well, it’s not going to happen with your speed! You have to catch me first!”

“RAUGH!!!”

The deerclops picked up its pace, swiping at the ground furiously, failing every time to get a hold of Wilson.

“Ah ah ah ah!” He jumped back as another swipe came, nailing the beast in one of its hands. “Got ya!”

It let out a horrific shriek, bringing its other hand down, knocking Wilson off his feet.

“Oof!” He hit the ground hard, but still had a tight grip on his spear. “Ow… That smarts…”

He gasped as the deerclops grabbed him, bringing him to its face. It let out a loud roar, tightening its grip on him.

“Sorry, didn’t quite understand that! I don’t speak deerclops!” Wilson was struggling to get out of its grasp, managing to get his hand that had the spear in it free. He gave the deerclop’s hand a good stab, causing it to drop him to the ground again… Wilson sadly not landing on his feet. “Augh…”

The deerclops was now staring at him with what could only be described as a death glare. Wilson tried to get up, but found himself falling back to the ground in pain.

Ngh… Can’t… Move…

His eyes now had fear in them as the deerclops brought its hands up, poised to strike. He braced himself, shutting his eyes tightly, waiting for the worst.

“HEY! OVERGROWN THROW RUG!”

Wilson’s eyes snapped open, seeing Willow not too far from him and the deerclops, an enraged look in her eyes.

“Yeah! You!” She shouted, flicking her lighter. “Take me over him! He’s not worth your time! I’m much more tasty!”

Wilson’s eyes grew wide in horror, shaking his head furiously. “Willow, no!”

The deerclops didn’t pay the scientist any mind as it started making his way for Willow as the woman took her chance to get a running start… Getting the beast a good distance from Wilson, the giant towering over her.

Hope this plan works… She kept running in a circle around the monster… Dropping something as she went.

“Willow!” Wilson kept trying to get up, but his body kept protesting. He was finally able to stand, but only by using his spear as a support. “What are you doing!?”

“Trust me, Wilson!” She shouted back, smirking as the deerclops walked to where she needed it to walk. “Shouldn’t have done that you big jerk!”

The deerclops roared, not seeming to care.

Willow didn’t lose her confident look as she flicked her lighter on again, having the flame touch something on the ground.

“SCIENCE THIS!”

KABOOM!!!!

A huge explosion erupted, the deerclops disappearing in the blast almost instantly. Soon as it ended, meat and fur dropped to the ground… along with a giant eyeball.

Willow grinned triumphantly.

“Hah! Never mess with the pyromaniac.” She flicked her lighter off, picking up some of the goods. She took a look at the eyeball before giving it a hard kick as it went flying into the woods. “AND STOP LOOKING AT ME!”

Wilson was stunned, not sure what to say of what he had just witnessed. He was amazed and both concerned… and a touch terrified.

So this is what she’s like when she’s totally enraged….

Willow finished gathering the goods before making her way over to Wilson… grabbing his shoulders and shaking him.

“Nice going Wildork you almost got yourself killed! What made you think you could handle it on your own!?”

“Augh…!” Wilson cringed as his injuries were aggravated. “Willow, I didn’t want it to come into the fort! It would’ve killed all of you! You have to understand!”

“I understand what you did was bloody STUPID!”

Wilson growled before getting his own enraged look.

“I JUST WANTED TO PROTECT YOU! IS THAT SO WRONG!?”

Willow was silent for a minute.

“... It’s not wrong… But dying on us when we need and care about you IS…. I don’t want you to die…” She said quietly now… Her voice cracking a bit. “You need to be more careful… You promised… Remember?”

Wilson’s look softened… feeling a pang of guilt now.

“Willow… I…” He placed a hand on her shoulder. “... I’m sorry…”

Willow placed his hand over his… before bringing her arms around him, hugging him carefully.

“Just don’t do something like that ever again… We’re a team… That means working together.”

Wilson wrapped his arms around her, nodding.

“Right… I’m sorry, again…”

She shook her head. “Don’t be sorry…. Just… Tell me next time you plan on going after a homicidal monster, okay?”

“Okay…” Wilson grimaced a bit, holding his side. “Agh… Looks like the adrenaline wore off…”

Willow gave him a worried look, before she looped one of his arms around her shoulders.

“Let’s get you back home and fix you up. I got a good set of healing salves waiting, plenty of glands from last harvest.”

“Sounds wonderful…” Wilson gave his best smile, despite the pain he was in. “Then again, anything pain relieving is wonderful…”

“Well, you’ll get that soon… and some little girls who will be glad their “father” is back home.”

“Yeah…” He chuckled a bit. “It’s so odd that they feel comfortable… well, least Wendy, feels comfortable calling me that…”

“They care about you Wilson, just like how you care about them.” Willow smiled softly. “They’ve been good for you.”

“I just want to them happy… For heaven’s sake they’re children. Children shouldn’t have to worry about things like this… They should be happy not be…” He lowered his gaze. “Not be… alone… or feel alone or not cared for… that’s not fair…”

Willow frowned.

“That’s why we’re here for them. We won’t let anything else happen to them. They’ve seen enough pain.”

“Yes…” He cringed a bit, hissing at his injuries. “Agh…”

“Hang in there, Wilson, we’re almost back, and you are not leaving that bed roll of yours til you're healed.”

“But the fort-”

“Will not fall to the ground if you're shouting instructions from bed versus helping us directly.”

“... Alright, you win.”

“Good boy.”

Soon as they stepped back onto base, they were met by the twins.

“Papa!”

“H-Hey girls…”

The twins both wore looks of worry as they hugged Wilson gently.

“Papa, you're hurt…”

“Are you gonna be okay?”

Wilson nodded, patting both their heads. “I’ll be just fine…”

“Let’s get him inside before dark comes. C’mon.”

“Right.”

They hurried Wilson inside, lying him down on a bed roll, Wendy and Abigail grabbing the things Willow needed as she looked Wilson over.

“Keep in mind I am not a doctor…”

“Neither am I… I trust you though.”

Willow nodded, cringing a bit at the bruising she saw on Wilson’s chest, the minor cuts he had gotten on his arms that had been hidden by his gloves. Wendy and Abigail handed her the first bowl of healing salve.

Her hands shook a bit as she held the bowl, dipping one of them in. Wilson gave a reassuring look, placing one of his hands over hers.

“It’s okay, Willow…”

“I don’t want to hurt you… Not like how…”

He got a knowing look.

“It’s not like that Willow. You’re trying to help me. Not doing mindless things like those people were.”

Willow was still for a moment before nodding. She took a deep breath before applying the salve to the wounds. Wilson cringed a bit, gripping at the bed roll, but kept as still as he could.

“I’m sorry….” She whispered but kept going once she was finished, she grabbed a set of bandages from Wendy, wrapping them as best as she could. “T-There… Again… Sorry…”

“It’s okay…” He gave his best smile, taking one of her hands. “I’m feeling better already…”

Willow smiled a little, squeezing his hand. “I’m glad…. I just… Never wanna see you hurt like I was. I’d never forgive myself if I hurt you like that…”

“Willow.” He squeezed her hand. “I know you never would.”

“Still…” Willow stroked his hair a bit. “Long as you’re going to be okay…”

Wilson nuzzled her hand.

“I will be… just a little roughed up right now.”

“Then get as much rest as you can. The girls and I will look after this place. Right?”

“Yeah!”

Wilson chuckled.

“Just no setting it on fire please.”

Wendy giggled.

“That won’t be hard. Just take Willow’s lighter away.”

Willow gave a dramatic pout. “That’s not fair. Take Wilson’s sciency stuff away then!”

“Oi!”

The girls giggled.

“We’re joking.” Abigail got a blanket for Wilson, draping it over him. “We promise to take good care of the base while you sleep.”

Wilson nodded, making himself comfortable.

Wendy knelt beside him, giving him a quick kiss on the head.

“Dream of sciency stuff, Papa.”

Wilson smiled softly, kissing her head in return. “Thank you, Wendy… Abigail… Willow… I’ll get plenty of rest, I promise…”

“Good.” Willow got up, leading the girls away to get chores done, leaving Wilson alone with his thoughts.

He watched them go before closing his eyes, letting his mind wander.

How did that monster find us…?

Is it possible that Maxwell sent it or was it just chance?

Wilson sighed heavily.

Whatever the means…. We’re alright...

We’re still alive.

• Like 4

Survive the Shadows Chapter 9.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Surprises

“You really think we should’ve split off?” Wolfgang asked while cooking some meat over a fire. “I mean… I know we all have to hold our own here, but wouldn’t joining forces with that scientist have been a good idea?”

“It probably would’ve, Wolf.” Wigfrid said as she looked around the area, poking things with her spear. “But, let’s remember, we do a lot of traveling and from the looks of it, I don’t think they’d want to stray too far from their little fortress.”

“AND I ALREADY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THREE OF YOU.” WX-78 squawked. “I DO NOT KNOW IF I COULD HANDLE SEVEN.”

“Ain’t you a charmer?” Wigfrid rolled her eyes. “Bottom line, I think their priorities in what they’re trying to do in this world are differen’ from ours. Not to say we can’t drop by and say hello but we got ground to cover.” She took a seat around the fire, giving her helmet a quick polish. “And a magician to find.”

“If we can.” Wolfgang sighed. “While they seemed to have seen Willy more than we have, we haven’t seen any lick of him. It’s a needle in a haystack situation.”

“He has to go somewhere.”

Wes nodded, looking up at the sky. He waved a bit, pointing up.

“Hm?” Wigfrid looked up. “Ah, full moon tonight. That means I can do some late night huntin’ without needing a torch.”

“You can do that. Too dark for me, even with the moon.” Wolfgang shuddered. “Rather not run into a werepig.”

“WX-78 and Wes can keep you company then.” Wigfrid got up, readying her spear. “I ain’t scared of nothin’.”

She hurried off, Wes having a concerned look as he watched her go.

“She’ll be fine, Wes. You know her.” Wolfgang gave him a pat on the back.

He nodded, pantomiming a sigh.

Wigfrid looked around the area, keeping as quiet as she could. She took note of sleeping merms, smirking a bit.

“Those jerks were picking on us earlier, now they get to pay.”

She snuck over quietly, readying her spear… then…

“YAH!!!”

She slashed through each them swiftly, killing them instantly, all turning into lumps of meat.

“Hah, that’s what you get.”

CRASH!

Wigfrid, jumped, looking around.

“W-Who goes there!? Show yourself!”

She scanned the area… noting a tree that had just fallen over.

“What the…? Wolfgang? This better not be some joke-”

She stopped short when she saw something pop out from behind said tree. It was… a beaver? It stared at her, tilting its head, making chittering noises.

“Uh… Hi?”

The beaver blinked before eating some logs, chittering at her again before running off.

… Was that thing wearing britches?

She followed after it, seeing it was just hacking at another tree with its teeth, eating at the logs it found, leaving the pinecones behind. Despite how quiet she was being it noticed her again, giving another head tilt and chittering noises.

She froze, spear at the ready. She watched the beaver as it went back to working at the tree.

“Um… Hello?”

It stopped. It looked at her then to stray pinecone on the ground. It picked up the pinecone with its front claws, walking over to her before dropping it at her feet. It chittered before scurrying off, disappearing completely from sight.

Wigfrid watched where it went and picked up the pinecone.

“... Well… Best not to anger the tree guards…” She remarked as she planted it into the ground. “See? I’m plantin’ the thing. No need to be angry!”

… You know, I think I’ve done enough huntin’ tonight.

She went back to where she had left the meat, picking it up and heading back to the fire.

“THAT WAS RATHER QUICK.” WX-78 commented. “I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE HUNTED ALL NIGHT.”

“I would’ve.” Wigfrid said as she started cooking the meat she found. “But saw something weird and changed my mind.”

“What kind of weird?” Wolfgang asked looking over. “... Did you anger the tree guards again?”

“No!” Wigfrid huffed. “Though I think the thing I saw wanted to be sure they didn’t get angry at it.”

“Don’t blame them. That thing chased us for days.”

Wes shivered at the memory. That had not been pleasant.

“AND WHAT DID YOU SEE?” WX-78 asked with an annoyed tone. “I WOULD NOT MIND A STRAIGHT ANSWER.”

“A giant beaver wearing britches. ‘Nough said.” Wigfrid dead panned, biting into her meat.

“... Yup. You’ve seen everything.” Wolfgang shook his head. “Such an odd world… But I’m not surprised. Merms, pigmen…”

“Goose Goose?” Wigfrid felt a chill. “Ugh, that was a rough spring.”

Wes cringed, huddling closer to Wigfrid.

Never. Again.

“THE BEAST WAS ANGRY AT YOU ALL.”

Wigfrid brought an arm around Wes.

“Reason we learned never to mess with the babies.”

“Yup… It’s a wonder we haven’t died yet.”

Wes nodded, bringing an arm around Wigfrid.

We do our best...

“Two years… we’re not given up that easy.”

It isn’t over till the fat lady sings…

ooooo

By the time Wilson was finally walking about again, the snow had melted. It was still chilly in the morning but he didn’t need to wear as much winter clothing… and more importantly.

He sighed happily as he shaved the rest of his beard off, happy to be clean shaven again. It was nice having something to keep his face warm, but he had to admit, it wasn’t something he liked having all the time.

“Much better…”

He collected the left over hairs, storing them in Chester before going to check on the others. He smiled as he caught sight of Willow planting seeds in the garden.

“Morning.” He said.

Willow looked up, smiling back. “Morning you… Heh… Nice to see you all clean shaven again. Beard looked good, but you look better without it.”

Wilson blushed a bit, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I admit, it gets itchy… but thanks to it warming up more it was time for it to come off. Especially once the rain comes in. Wet beard hair.” He cringed a bit. “It’s not comfortable.”

“I’d imagine.” Willow nodded. “So… anything to look out for during the spring?”

“Expect a lot of thunderstorms… other than that, I don’t know. Never really had that much trouble during spring.”

“Well, that’s good at least…” Willow stretched, standing up straight. “Girls are still fast asleep… They’ve been working hard… Abigail loves scaring the spiders into the traps.” She chuckled. “She’s good at it.”

“She learned from the best.” Wilson grinned.

Willow blushed, smiling sheepishly. “Just do what I can so we can have what we need… You’re the one teaching them all the other things… Well… I’ve been trying but they just… love listening to you…”

He felt some heat rush to his face.

“Just… can’t help it…”

“Heh…”

“EEP! PAPA! WILLOW!”

“Eh?”

The two bolted to the source of the sound, finding Wendy with Abigail in the back end of the fort. They were near their log pile… or what was most of their log pile, finding a man in a plaid shirt and britches napping on it.

“What the…?” Wilson blinked as Willow raised an eyebrow.

“... How…?”

“... Where are our logs that he’s NOT sleeping on?”

They both shook their heads and headed over, Wilson looking the man over.

“Seems he’s just asleep…”

Wendy nodded.

“Not sure why anyone would want to sleep on logs though… That’d be uncomfortable…”

The man just kept sleeping, snoring a bit as he rolled over.

“Mgh… pigs, stay out my logs…” he mumbled.

Wilson and Willow exchanged a confused look.

“... Should we just… wake him up?”

“He can’t keep sleeping on our log pile.” Abigail commented.

Wilson went over to the man, poking him a few times.

“Excuse me… Sir?”

“Mrgh… What?” He opened his eyes slowly, looking at the people who were staring at him. “... Oh… You’re new faces.” He sat up, stretching a bit. “How’s it going eh?”

“It’s… going fine?” Wilson blinked. “Though you are sleeping on our log pile… and we’d like to use some?”

The man blinked looking down.

“... Ah nuts.” He got up, dusting himself off. “Sorry about that, wasn’t on purpose.”

“No, it’s fine. Are you alright?” Wilson asked as Wendy darted over, grabbing three logs before heading off to the fire pit. “Quite the ways from other resources…”

“Nah, I’m fine, just… night problems.” The man gave a sheepish grin. “I sleep walk… Name’s Woodie by the way.”

“Got it… I’m Wilson, this is Willow, and the girls are Abigail and Wendy… Though… sleepwalking… Quite dangerous…”

“Yeah. But I deal with it.” Woodie stretched again before a panicked look came to his face. “Oh no… I just remembered… I need to find Lucy! Someone might take her!”

“L-Lucy!?”

“What does she look like?”

“Uh… I’ll explain later! I need to find ‘er now!” Woodie took off, running like there was no tomorrow. “I’M COMIN’ HONEY!!”

Wilson and Willow watched him go, just stunned… Not quite sure what had just happened.

“... Great job guys.” Abigail deadpanned. “He could’ve been a nut who wanted to murder you three in your sleep… Greaaat reaction times.”

“... Oh go eat a pie…”

“Um… I’m gonna be sure he’s okay…” Wilson got a few tools together before following after Woodie.

“Try not to get murdered!”

Wilson rolled his eyes, continuing down the path.

Can’t blame them for thinking that but he’s like the rest of us… and well… maybe he might know something we don’t. I need all the information I can get.

He followed the foot prints the man had left behind, soon finding himself in a forest area that had a lot of trees cut down and pinecones lying around.

“What the…?”

“Ah! There you are my love!”

“Oh Woodie, thank goodness you’re safe!”

Wilson followed the source of the voices.

And seems he isn’t alone-

Wilson’s eyes got wide as he saw Woodie was hugging what appeared to be a high standard axe… rather affectionately too.

… AWKWARD… He thought as he crept closer.

“Woodie, you need to be more careful.”

“I know, I know but… I can’t help it during the full moon… That stupid curse acts up and bam, were beaver.”

“I know, Love… Just try to stay closer to where I am.”

“Can do.”

Were Beaver? Also… Who is he talking to!?

“So, where did you wake up this time?”

“I woke up in someone’s camp… Scared the daylights out of two little girls… Least it wasn’t Wickerbottom’s place. I think she’d have my tail.”

“Considering you scared her grandson last time, of COURSE she would. They just don’t get it.”

“Yeah… though seems we got new faces. I didn’t recognize them. A nice young man, a young woman, and two kiddies.”

“Huh… That is new.”

“Yeah… Guess that Shadow King person is still going around dragging people in… Wonder what they wanted.”

As they talked, Wilson was still dumbfounded. It looked as if Woodie was having a conversation with the axe itself… and it was answering back!

“Well… whatever the reason. They’re new residents.” Woodie swung the axe over his shoulder. “So, keep a good eye on my things, Lucy?”

“Sure did, glad you didn’t forget about me.”

“Never.”

… I’m offended as a scientist…

Woodie gathered up his things, slinging a backpack on.

“Welp… Guess I should probably visit Wickerbottom. Could use some stuff for my teeth. I think I have some wood splinters lodged in them again.”

“That's probably a good idea and her little one probably has a new batch of healing salve for us to take with… And she DID promise to feed you after that little incident with that spider queen…”

“Oh yes. I can bring her logs as bit of a gift… and I think I might owe those new residents some logs… I think I might have eaten some of them.”

“Oh dear… Yes, that’s probably a good idea… Maybe some mushrooms?”

“Yeah, that too.”

Wilson stepped back a bit… breaking a twig by mistake.

Uh oh.

“... Thought someone was watchin’.” Woodie looked to his direction. “Hello there.”

Wilson gulped before he stepped out. “Um… Hi?”

“I’m guessing you heard a lot of that. No shame, it’s my problem.” Woodie held his axe out. “This is Lucy by the way.”

“Hello there.”

Wilson grinned sheepishly. “Nice to meet you? I… apologize, this is just a touch shocking…”

“Eh, no surprise.” Woodie shrugged. “Lucy hasn’t been the same since we came here.”

Wilson frowned. “How long..?”

“I’d say… It’s been roughly a year and a half, hasn’t it dear?”

“Oh yes…”

“That’s a long time… Did… a man named Maxwell bring you here?”

“If you mean someone who talked to me through a radio saying they could bring back the love of my life and grant me whatever wish I wanted then got brought here and given a curse, then yes. I was brought here by a man of that name.”

Wilson frowned. “The same man who’s tricked us all… I’m so sorry…”

“Not your fault, Wilson… I paid up… and Lucy…” He stroked the base of the axe. “This was my best chance of saving ‘er.”

“Oh Woodie… My sweet sweet Woodie.”

“I can empathize… My apologies…”

“I think I owe an apology to you… Sorry about the whole log thing… just… a problem. I’ll make it up to you guys by getting you some new wood. Lucy here chops down trees mighty fine. Besides, I got to get a gift package put together for Wickerbottom.”

Wilson shook his head. “Don’t worry about the logs. Willow… tends to wind up creating plenty of charcoal to burn on the fire so it’s not uber important.  I am curious though… Who is this Wickerbottom?”

“Wickerbottom? She’s a local here. A witch, I think if I recall correctly.”

“Yes, Woodie.” Lucy giggled. “She’s a very wise old woman who seems to know a lot about this world and has been helping Woodie with his curse and trying to see if there’s a solution for me. She’s wise and powerful but she doesn’t have all the answers.”

“She may as well be the longest standing survivor but I guess that doesn’t really count if you just live here.”

Wilson was amazed, as he took in this information. A natural resident of this world with power? “And she lives nearby?” He asked, growing curious. Wondering if there was information he could get regarding his goals involving Charlie and Abigail.

“Hm… little ways of travel but you really have to look for her. You know you’re close if you come close to a well kept spider nest. Her grandson loves playing with those things.”

“I see… I’ll have to look into encountering her one of these days… Unless…” Wilson grinned. “We could say showing me the way to her home is repayment for the missing logs…”

Woodie gave a bow.

“I’ll gladly give you the pleasure. Though I’ll need a day or two to get my supplies back together and rest up.”

“Woodie’s curse tends to take a huge toll on his body.”

Wilson nodded, giving him an understanding look. “I get it… We’ll make plans to. Stop by my fort anytime.”

“Thank you and if you need any favors, Lucy and I will do what we can.” He swung the axe over his shoulders. “Come my dear, we got work to do.”

“It is a nice day for a walk!”

Woodie grinned, waving to Wilson before running off.

“See you around eh!”

Wilson waved before he chuckled to himself.

“... A haunted axe hm? I’ve officially seen it all.”

At this rate… What isn’t possible in this world?

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 4

Survive the Shadows Chapter 10.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Coming to Light

“How on Earth do you put up with me? I’m the laughing stock of this circus.”

“I don’t care, William. You’ll get better with time. You’re still new at this.”

“Yes but… everyone else does so perfect in their acts…”

“That’s because they’ve been at it longer. Patience is a virtue, William.”

“Charlie…”

“I’m not giving up on you that easily. We’ll work on it together.”

“... Thank you…”

“Anytime, William.”

William…

Charlie sighed as she lowered her head a little, looking at the glasses she held in her disfigured hands.

I miss you…

“Holding up alright?”

Charlie glanced up, seeing a man in a glowing white cloak approach her, half his face hidden by the hood of it.

“Could be better… I have to admit, fighting urges is no easy task.”

“I know… You try your best every night…”

“And as do you with your duties… Any new souls?”

“As of late, no. I’ve mainly just been keeping my eyes on the new arrivals Maxwell brought… They’ve had some close calls but so far they’re still alive.” The man sighed. “Sadly, the downside is when there are no new deaths, the shadows just get more aggravated.”

Charlie sighed, holding the glasses a bit closer to her.

“It’s not easy… Especially since they’re not like the others that have wound up here before… They’ve faced the odds and kept fighting… Even when I’m sure the shadows were sure there would be an easy death… We got in their way…”

“Indeed… We do what we can, but in the end, it’s all they’ve done that has let them survive.” The man turned away, looking upward. “And along with them… I feel things are changing… I don’t know what it is, but something… something feels different this time.”

“It’s something in the air… Usually by now there would’ve been a camp burnt to the ground and someone dead… But they’re making their moves more carefully… The shadows didn’t realize what happened when they chose that man…”

“Wilson Percival Higgsbury…” The man muttered. “He’s… something. That’s for sure.”

“... He reminds me of him… Of William.” Charlie looked down at the glasses. “He’s gentle… Smart… But he’s a lot less fearful than our William was…”

He keeps beating the odds… At this rate, who knows how long it may take for Maxwell to truly snap.

“I see the similarities too. It’s honestly uncanny… Maybe I should ask the old witch if she has any idea as to why things feel different. She always seems to know.”

Charlie nodded quickly. “That’s a good plan. Besides… She’s one of the few who can see you.”

“Along with that kid of hers.” The man chuckled, making his way out. “I’ll report back once I have some answers. Keep an eye on Maxwell.”

“As always.” Charlie giggled a bit, giving a small salute. When he was gone she took a deep breath before making her way to the throne room, keeping to the shadows.

Maxwell was pacing about the area, keeping in the light. His eyes were locked to the ground, keeping his facial expression hidden. He was quiet… deadly quiet… till…

“RAAAAAH!!!”

He lashed out, throwing shadow flames into the air.

“WHY WON’T YOU STAY QUIET!?” He demanded.

What?

Charlie got a perplexed look in her eyes, before it turned to shock as she saw Maxwell’s expression change from one of frustration and anger… to one of desperation.

“I’m someone! I’m not you! I’m whoever this William man was!”

Maxwell’s expression changed back to anger.

“SHUT UP!”

“NO!”

“I SAID SHUT UP!”

Maxwell hit himself hard in the face, growling.

Charlie gasped, covering her mouth with one of her hands, just… shocked. This was not something she expected.

“... Why do you hate me so much…? I was a person… I had a life-!”

“You…. are… NO ONE! WILLIAM CARTER IS DEAD!” Maxwell panted, before grinning to himself. “No more…” His expression changed again.

“NO! NO! NOOOOOOOO!”

“That’s right… go back to sleep… There’s nothing… Only Maxwell.”

Charlie shook her head, keeping close to the shadows.

William, please don’t give up… You're still in there… I know you are...

“No… I’m still here… it’s not just Maxwell… There’s me too! I know I’m someone! That woman who appeared a few nights ago! She remembers me!”

“Charlie knows nothing of you! She’s a MONSTER! She doesn’t care about anything and she most certainly doesn’t care about you!”

Charlie gasped, eyes going wide.

“Charlie… No… She has to… Someone has to...She knows me! I know her-!”

“SHUT UP!” Maxwell hit himself again. “I’ve been too soft with you… Your guilty conscious is ruining EVERYTHING. I feel your regret and have been speaking as if I were you. You spineless… worthless… magician…”

“If ruining everything… Means getting my body back… Let me ruin it all then!” Shadow flames came to his hands. “Ack!”

“WHY YOU-!” Maxwell had to refrain from hitting himself again, knowing hitting himself now would result in burns.

Charlie couldn’t take it anymore. She took her full shadow form, putting out the torches before tackling Maxwell to the ground, shrieking at him.

“I THINK I’VE HEARD ENOUGH OUT OF YOU, MAXWELL!!”

Maxwell looked at her with terror… and anger in his eyes. “You…” He snarled before snapping his fingers, flicking shadow flames towards a nearby torch, lighting it back up. “BEGONE!”

Charlie shrieked, retreating to the shadows.

“Did you see that, William? You did that to her… This is all… YOUR fault… If you want, I’ll illuminate this whole room... and kill her.”

“No… No, leave her out of this… This is between you and me… She has nothing to do with this!”

“Then… be a good boy… and sleep… FOREVER!”

“AUUUUUUUGGGGH!!!!!”

oooooo

Wilson looked up from where he was stoking the fire pit, hearing a scream. A scream of utter agony and heartbreak.

“What in the world…?” He murmured, getting up and peering outside. The sun was just coming up so he felt safe enough opening the door.

What was that? It sounded like someone dying!

He looked back into the base, seeing the girls and Willow were still fast asleep. He let them be, looking around the area, keeping a spear ready in hand. There was nothing to be seen as far as he could tell.

“I’m guessing you heard it too?”

Wilson jumped, his head snapping towards the source of the voice, relaxing as he saw who it was. It was Woodie, who had a large pile of logs in his arms. He had a look of sadness in his facial features.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you like that but… the way you were looking around I was thinking you might have heard what I heard.”

“A scream of agony?” Wilson asked as the other man nodded. Wilson frowned, lowering his spear. “It… sounded so close… So desperate.”

“Like they were calling for help but couldn’t get any…” Woodie looked outward. “I’m afraid I’ve heard it time and time again from survivors who didn’t make it… Yet this one I think is the loudest I’ve ever heard.”

Wilson followed his gaze, shielding his eyes a bit from the sunlight. “I can’t help but wonder if someone was brought in the night and just… killed right there..”

“Only heaven or Maxwell would know…” Woodie sighed. “In any case…” He held up the logs he had. “I brought these to replace the ones I ate… and I was thinking I could take you to Wickerbottom today since I’m feeling better than I was when we met.”

Wilson nodded. “I’d like that… And in that case, since it’s early enough, would… you like to stay for breakfast? We have plenty.”

“If it’s not too much.” Woodie smiled a bit. “I know I kind of scared one of your kiddies.”

Wilson chuckled. “I’m sure she’ll be more up to meeting new people once she knows someone wasn’t trying to steal our fire source.”

“Right, right.” Woodie looked to Lucy on his back. “Well, shall we my dear?”

“But of course!”

Wilson smiled before leading the way back to camp… Getting knocked over as soon as he came through the door.

“OOF!”

The twins were hugging him tightly, looking up at him.

“Papa, where were you!?”

“Yeah! It’s not completely light out yet!”

“W-Was just checking on something, girls, and I wasn’t alone.”

Woodie poked his head in.

“How’s it goin’ eh?”

Abigail blinked, while Wendy’s jaw dropped. “... The log thief?”

“He’s not a thief. It was a misunderstanding… And he’s a guest, so please be polite…”

Woodie knelt to Wendy’s level.

“I really didn’t mean to steal I just… have problems… But I promise I wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

Wendy looked him over before she smiled a bit. “It’s okay… We just get a little jumpy when it’s getting dark out… It’s scary out there. Spiders come out at night all the time.”

“Oh yeah I’ve seen ‘em. Nasty things. But Lucy and I are able to take ‘em on.”

“That’s right.” Lucy giggled. “No one can match up to me!”

The girls’ eyes widened, seeming to light up.

“Your axe is like Abi!” Wendy chirped while Abigail grinned sheepishly.

“Would seem so.”

Woodie smiled, taking Lucy off his back, showing her to the girls.

“It’s an odd situation but we make it work.”

Abigail smiled… seeming to shake hands with someone.

“Nice meet you, Lucy.”

“Nice to meet you too.”

“You’re really pretty… I hope you two like it here.”

Wendy smiled, stepping back, letting her sister have her conversation. She doesn’t get to talk to other ghosts all the time…

Woodie’s eyes had surprise in them.

“You can see her too…?”

“Like they said, Woodie, I’m like her.” Lucy smiled. “So… it makes sense.”

Wilson kept quiet… trying to wrack his brain over what he was seeing.

… I know anything seems possible at this point but it’s so hard to believe when I can’t see anything.

“What’s all the noise…?”

Willow was in view now, still half asleep and yawning.

“Oh, good morning, Willow… Sleep well?”

She gave him an irritated look. “Was til a few minutes ago… What’s going on in here?”

“Well, our visitor from a few days ago came back.” Wilson gestured over to Woodie. “He wants to take me to see someone who might have answers on how to get out of here.”

Willow perked up. “Well then… Great!”

“And he’s got a ghost friend like Abi too!”

Willow hid the surprised look she got as she looked to Woodie. “Well... That’s interesting… Now...” She looked to Wilson. “Since we’re all up… Breakfast?”

“Of course.” Wilson hurried into the kitchen. “I’ll get some waffles made right away.”

“Oh…” Woodie’s stomach growled. “That sounds delicious.”

“Oh, he hasn’t made those in awhile.” Wendy giggled. “They’re really good!”

“If you say so.” Woodie took a seat near the fire pit, setting Lucy down beside him, the others joining him as well.

“So…” Willow started. “Wilson said you know someone who knows a lot about this place. Mind, telling us who this person is?”

“Oh not at all.” Woodie grinned. “I already told Wilson this, but she’s known as Wickerbottom. She’s a witch that lives here. Not all knowing, but very wise.”

“Who in their right mind would want to live here their whole life?” Wendy shuddered. “This place isn’t exactly cozy.”

“I don’t know, Wickerbottom doesn’t seem to mind it all that much.” Woodie shrugged. “Either way, she knows more than anyone I’ve ever met. Hopefully she can help provide some answers for y’all.”

“That would be ideal.”

Wilson soon came in with a stack of waffles on a leaf, dividing it up between them all.

“Thank you.” Woodie took a bite, grinning widely. “Wow, this is delicious!”

Wilson smiled, nodding.

“You’re welcome, least I could do.”

“You’re very kind.” Woodie took another bite. “I can cook but not this good.”

“He once burnt water before I showed him a thing or two.” Lucy added.

“Ah shucks, Lucy!” Woodie blushed. “You didn’t need to tell ‘em that!”

“Oh, Willow was just like that.” Wilson said in between bites of his own share. Willow was bright red before she elbowed him hard in the ribs. “Oof!”

“Wildork…

Woodie chuckled.

“Burnt water aside, I’m excited to take you to see Wickerbottom. Wilson seems very knowledgeable and with what Wickerbottom knows, I bet ya you two could crack something. Maybe even finding a way out of this forsaken place.”

“That’s the hope.” Wilson smiled. “And of course…” He looked at Abigail. “Possibly ways to revive the deceased… There’s more I want to do then just leave this place.”

“Well… knowing her, she might have something that can help.”

“Then let us waste no more time.”

Woodie chuckled, finishing his meal before getting up then.

“I like your attitude.” He dusted himself off before swinging Lucy over his shoulders. “Well, shall we my dear?”

“Oh yes, my love.”

Wilson quickly grabbed his backpack, the others doing the same.

“Let’s go! Chester, watch the fort!”

“Rarf!” Chester took a seat at the front door as they parted.

Woodie lead them out, heading for a very heavy forested area. The twins kept close to each other, flinching a bit at the sound of hissing noises.

“Uh… Mister Woodie?” Wendy gulped. “Are… Are there spiders here?”

“Few rogue ones, but the most you’ll see here are actually tamed spiders.” Woodie said as he looked around carefully. “That is, if we’re in the right spot.”

Abigail huddled closer to her sister, looking around. Willow had her spear out, as did Wilson.

There was the distinct scuttling noise the spiders made as they walked… As well as the sound of… a child laughing.

“Come on! One more ride!”

Confusion overcame Wilson and Willow while Woodie just seemed amused.

“And he’s at it again.” Woodie went to the source of the sounds, grinning wider as he saw a spider queen nuzzling what appeared to be a child…. with a spider for a head. “Young Webber.”

“Hee! That tickles, Natty!” Webber laughed, petting the spider queen’s head.

It churred quietly, nuzzling the boy more, taking a bit of a protective stance as she noticed the newcomers.

“That… kid has a…” Willow started.

“Spider Queen… For a pet…” Wilson finished. “... And he’s…” A HYBRID!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

Woodie walked on over to the child and spider.

“Oi! Webber! It’s me!”

Webber looked over and grinned, showing some fangs as his eyes lit up. “Mister Woodie! Hiya! No tree guards after you today?”

“Nope, just going about my day. And I brought some guests to see your grandmother.” Woodie gestured to the group. “It’s alright folks, Natty and Webber don’t bite.”

Wilson took a deep breath and walked over first as the others came over as well. “Hello there young man… I’m Wilson Percival Higgsbury... It’s nice to meet you.”

“That’s a long name. Nice to meet you too!”

Woodie chuckled, ruffling the boy’s hairy head.

“They’re nice ones. Is your grandmother busy at all today? They could use some help.”

“She’s making pierogies but she said she was freezing those hours ago. So, I think she’s free.” Webber chuckled, trying to smooth down the now ruffled up hair. “And that tickles!”

“Hehe, I know.” Woodie looked to the spider queen. “Think Natty is willing to lead or give us all a ride?”

Wendy hid behind Wilson.

“I-I… I don’t think I wanna ride a spider queen.”

Wilson frowned, patting her head. “Wendy isn’t very fond of spiders… She’s quite frightened by them…”

Webber frowned a bit but gave a nod. “We understand… Other survivors don’t like spiders either… We’re used to it.”

Wendy frowned before cautiously going over to Webber, looking him over.

“You don’t seem so bad though. You didn’t hiss at us.”

“Cause it’s me in control. Not the spider.” Webber patted Natty’s side fondly. “Spiders like us… They wanna protect us. Well, most of ‘em. Some spider warriors aren’t so nice… But Natty just gobbles them up if they try to hurt anyone I like.”

“I see…” Wendy held out a hand. “I’m Wendy by the way.”

Webber shook her hand. “Webber! I like your flower. It’s cute.”

Wendy giggled a little.

“Thank you, my father picked it for me. It’s never died once.”

Webber smiled. “Magic I bet. Like Grandmother’s! Oh! We better get going… If we time it right she won’t be busy doing much besides organizing her library - That takes her HOURS!”

“Let’s hurry then.” Wilson smiled gently. “Lead the way.”

Webber saluted, getting onto Natty’s back.

“Let’s show them, Natty.”

The spider queen nodded as they lead the way… Wendy eventually climbing up to be next to Webber.

Maybe not all spiders are bad.

• Like 4

Survive the Shadows Chapter 11.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Enigma

A small house came into view. Compared to their fort, it was rather fancy, basically a permanent stay. It appeared to have two floors, decorated windows, and a well kept garden.

“Talk about fancy.” Willow commented. “This looks more like a small mansion rather than a fort.”

“That’s just Wickerbottom’s style.” Woodie shrugged. “She likes being cozy and she likes having things look presentable. Very proper lady.”

“Yup.” Webber chuckled a little. “She does her best to teach me how to be a gentlemen.” He cringed. “Though, the only thing I wasn’t gonna put up with was having bows tied to my spider legs. I looked ridiculous!”

Ah, the “proper upbringing”. I remember it fondly.  Wilson thought, chuckling. “She just wants you to be a proper young man. Know how to treat a lady right and all that I’m sure.”

“Yeah, but I draw the line at frilly suits and stuff. Besides, the spiders get offended if there’s a lot of silk on the thing.”

“I’m sure you’d look nice in a proper suit.” Wendy giggled. “And maybe a bow tie. That’s what father wore.”

“That’s right.” Abigail smiled. “Even in the lab coat he’d be wearing the suit.”

“Lab coat?” Willow questioned. “Was he a scientist?”

“Oh… I guess we never told you, but our father was a doctor.” Wendy smiled a bit. “One of the best too.”

“Yup.” Abigail smiled, sighing a bit. “He never gave up on any patient. No matter what..”

“Heh… bet he was better than the doctors I knew.” Willow smiled. “I wish I could’ve met him.”

“Yeah… I’m sure he would’ve liked to have met you guys too.” Wendy shook her head. “But let’s not focus on that. I think we have questions that need answering.”

“Right.”

Webber got off of Natty, helping Wendy off as well. He gave the spider queen a pat on the head.

“Thanks, Natty. Go play with your babies now.”

Natty gave him one last nuzzle before she moved off to an area with several level one dens scattered around.

“That’s… quite the spider farm.” Willow blinked.

“They’re my friends. Now…” Webber opened the door as they all headed inside. “Grandmother! I’m home!”

“I’m in the library darling!”

Webber nodded, leading the group to where it was. They all stood speechless, realizing things appeared bigger inside the house than they did outside. The library they were in… seemed endless. Shelves upon shelves of books that went on for what could've been miles.

“Holy moly…” Willow whispered. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a library this big before.”

Wilson looked around, a look of utter joy on his face.

“I haven’t seen a library this huge since I was living in my grandfather’s home..” He couldn’t help it as he wandered to one of the shelves, looking over the titles, surprised to find so many familiar ones. “Sherlock Holmes… Oh! Treasure Island!”

“I make it my business to have all kinds.”

All turned to see an elderly woman looking down at them from up on a balcony. She adjusted her glasses, looking at all of them.

“New survivors… I see Maxwell hasn’t stopped…” Wickerbottom looked to Wilson in particular. “... And has gifted someone with some interesting abilities.”

Wilson gave her a confused look. “W-What do you mean? I’m… I’m perfectly normal.”

“Someone breaks a limb, what do you do?”

Wilson stopped for a moment, thinking it over.

“... First you would reset the bone back into place, make sure there are no muscle tears or tendon tears. Then, you would create a splint or cast to keep the limb immobile so no further damage can be done with motion. Splints are ideal for sprains while casts are ideal for broken bones.” Wilson’s eyes got wide, surprise coming to them. “What was…?”

The woman smirked.

“You're not a doctor, so I don’t believe you’d automatically know that unless you had some assistance… Correct?”

“Y-Yes…” Wilson touched his head. “That’s been happening a lot since I came here… I see or hear about something and then… I just know how to do it… I even came up with a concoction known as healing salve.”

“A concoction formed from ash, spider glands, ground with rocks into a fine paste to be spread over wounds, right?”

“... How do you know that?”

The woman made her way down a staircase to join them on the main floor. “Because that’s one of my own concoctions as well… and so was the science machine…”

Wilson’s eyes got wider.

“Y-You invented them!?”

“I assisted mainly. My husband - God rest his soul - invented them.” She curtsied a bit. “Wickerbottom of the Shadow Lands.”

Wilson gave a bow.

“Wilson Percival Higgsbury.” He gestured to the others. “And these are my companions. You already know Woodie, obviously, and then we have Willow, Wendy and Abigail.”

Wickerbottom smiled, giving a nod. “Welcome to my home… And I take it you might have some questions?”

“Erm yes… How…?”

“Grandmother knows things.” Webber quipped

Wickerbottom nodded, taking a seat on a stool.

“Now, start wherever you like.”

“Well…” Wilson glanced to Abigail. “First order of business concerns Abigail… She was killed upon arrival and was turned into a spirit to preserve her soul.”

“Yeah, Auntie Charlie sealed her body into the flower she wears in her hair.” Wendy added. “Charlie said to look for someone who might know how to bring her back.”

Wickerbottom’s gaze softened, coming closer to the girls, looking Abigail over. “... Yes, there is a way. A method called the tell tale heart. Webber? You know where we keep our spare spider glands right?”

“Yes!” The boy hurried off to another area of the house.

“It’ll basically take the place of her original heart and regenerate her body from its spirit form.”

“Oh thank goodness.” Wilson sighed in relief, looking to Abigail. “You’ll be alive again soon enough.”

Abigail got an excited look in her eyes. “Oh goodness… I… I’m really gonna be me again.”

Wendy squealed, hugging her twin. “ABI!”

Abigail squealed as well, hugging her sister tightly.

“Wendy!”

Wilson smiled, a warm look in his eyes before looking back to Wickerbottom.

“What else can I do for you?” she asked.

“Well… the next thing I have in mind might be a bit harder. It concerns Charlie.”

“Ah yes… The creature of the night…”

“Would there… is there a way to change her back?” Wilson got a serious look. “I made a promise to her and the twins that I would find a way.”

Wickerbottom gave him a look that was just as serious. “She became the way she is because of the Codex Umbra. The only spell that could bring her back to humanity is within that book. But that book is practically glued to Maxwell. He would never let you have it. He’d rather kill you first.”

“I see…” Wilson paused for a moment… remembering something.

“He heard of some librarian that had weird books. Of course, they weren’t open to the public but… something… I don’t know… He met someone who told him about the book and... we don’t know how, but he found his way to it. It was almost like something guided him to it. Though, I guess the librarian never found out since she never came to get the book back.”

“... Wickerbottom… Did… you own that book? I met some people that mentioned Maxwell stole from a librarian back on Earth.”

At this, she scowled. “Yes, I did. My library, or rather, one of my many, held books of all kinds. That book was kept under lock and key… But he was a clever one, that fool… Snuck in around closing when I was shooing out riff raff and scoundrels who were using my library to smoke behind their families backs and stole it. Never saw it again until he appeared as the Shadow King.”

“That makes sense…” Wilson ran a hand through his hair. “... Is there a way to cure him too? From what I've been told, Maxwell seems to be a separate entity from that of who he originally was.”

Wickerbottom sighed. “Yes… But that way isn’t so easy… He needs to be freed by a different method. Someone must take the throne in his place.”

“The law of equivalent exchange…” Wilson murmured.

Willow got a bit of a mortified look.

“Wilson, don’t even consider, your life matters too.”

“I never said it had to be the scrawny one.” Wickerbottom scoffed.

“H-Hey!” Wilson got a bit of an offended look. “I’m not that tiny!”

She chuckled, before shaking her head. “No… You’re not… But Maxwell likes to challenge people. Those who’ve decided they’d overthrow him before were thrown into challenges and trials they couldn’t stand. Died in the process by the shadows.”

Wilson cringed a bit.

“Past survivors… Is there any way to beat him then?”

“There is, but it’s a matter of actually reaching him. I know where his dwellings are and how to access them through a contraption known as Maxwell's Door. The only problem is said dwellings are heavily guarded by monsters.”

“What kind of monsters?”

“Clockwork beasts. They’re rather protective of their master.”

Willow cringed.

“Well… that sounds horrible… But there would be a way to beat them, right?”

“Yes, though it will take a lot to do so. They’re not some giant or spider or whatever monsters you’ve encountered here. They’re machines.”

“So, spears will clearly not work as well.” Wilson got an idea as he slowly smiled. “But… They can be dismantled…”

… He’s scary when he has that look in his eyes. Willow thought.

“Indeed.” Wickerbottom nodded. “And despite being metal, they do catch fire still and can be frozen.”

Willow grinned. “Now you got my attention. Fire is my game!”

“Well then, since you seem determined to find Maxwell, I’ll help you get to the door, and give you some equipment that will come in handy.” Wickerbottom crossed her arms. “Anything else?”

Wilson rubbed the back of his neck before remembering something.

“Well, the last thing on our agenda is getting out of here… Is there a way?”

“Yes.” Wickerbottom smiled a bit. “But right now, that method is currently out. Even I can’t leave this world at the moment. But once the king is overthrown, there's a portal in the area that should be fully functional again.”

“Perfect. Then our main goal right now is to overthrow Maxwell.”

“If I may.” Woodie raised a hand. “I’d like to help.”

“The more the merrier, and we should let Wigfrid and the others know as well.” Wilson added.

“Heh… Maxwell’s never had quite a team come at him before. That will anger him but… he deserves it.” Wickerbottom got up, dusting herself off. “I believe that’ll be all?”

“Yes, I don’t have any other questions.”

“Good, I’ll get the tools you’ll need then.”

“Grandmother!” Webber came running in with glands and grass in his arms. “I’ve got the ingredients for the tell tale heart.”

“Excellent.” She smiled, looking to the group. “Do you want her revived now?”

Wilson looked to Abigail… Seeing there was worry in her eyes. “Abigail?”

“... Not right now…” She shook her head. “If... If we’re going to do this I wanna help. I don’t want to be unable to fight things… Spiders… Most monsters… They’re afraid of me. They won’t be afraid of living Abi…”

“I can respect that.” Wickerbottom gave a gentle look. “We’ll hold it off till all is said and done.”

Abigail nodded.

“Very well then.” Wickerbottom summoned some books off the shelves, looking through them. “Ah, perfect… Then I guess the other matter is alerting your comrades.”

“Yes… Though I sadly don’t know where they went.” Wilson rubbed his temples. “And finding them might take a few days.”

“I could find them.” Webber offered, bouncing a little. “Natty and I are good finders.”

“Just… be sure to alert them you’re friendly. They’re quite combative when encountering monsters.”

“I could go with him.” Wendy stood next to him. “With Abi and me, they would be able to tell right away Webber and Natty aren’t a danger.”

Abigail nodded, floating to her sister. “Yeah!”

“Alright then....” Wilson knelt to their level, hugging the girls. “Just be safe now… Take care of each other.”

The girls hugged him tightly.

“We will.”

“Love you, Papa.”

Wickerbottom smiled gently at the sight, crossing her arms.

How sweet…

Webber cheered before rushing out.

“Come on, I’ll get some torches and stuff!”

The girls followed after, giggling a bit.

Wilson watched them go, some worry still in his eyes, but also a proud look.

“Webber!” Wickerbottom called. “Don’t forget to take Shadow Chester! He could use a walk!”

“Shadow what?” Wilson asked, snapping out of it.

“RARF!”

Two very familiar figures bounced out of another room as Webber pointed to one of them, holding an eye bone that was black and red in color. “C’mon Shadow!”

“Bark!”

The black and red colored Chester bounced after the boy, the other Chester that was white and blue in color bounced over to Wickerbottom.

“Bark!”

Wickerbottom patted his head.

“Good boy.” Wickerbottom looked to Wilson. “What’s with that look?”

“How…?” Wilson asked. “I thought I was the only one with a Chester!”

“Ah, you must’ve found my regular Chester. I was wondering where that little one wandered off to. He’s from a litter of three. He’s a normal Chester. His two brothers, Snow and Shadow Chester are just slightly different versions. Shadow Chester has more storage space while Snow Chester can keep food fresh.”

“... We could’ve used that one during winter...” Willow muttered. Wilson elbowed her this time.

“I’m glad I found him but… I guess this means you want him back?”

“You can keep him.” Wickerbottom smiled. “If he’s been with you for awhile then he’s most likely grown attached to you. Where is he right now?”

“Back at base.” Wilson rubbed the back of his neck. “I decided to let him rest for the day so he's just keeping watch.”

“I see.” Wickerbottom shook her head. “Anyways, I’ll get to work now I suppose.” She looked to Wilson again… almost seeming to study him.

Wilson noticed as she looked away.

“Um… Is something wrong?”

“You remind me of someone I knew.” Wickerbottom said before walking off to another room. “Help yourselves to anything in the house.”

“... I’ll find the kitchen.” Willow stated before heading off.

“Don’t burn her house down!” Wilson called after her.

“Noted!”

Wilson chuckled a bit, looking around the library again, grazing his hands over the spines.

“You got that nostalgic look in your eyes.” Woodie commented. “Ever been to a place like this?”

“Yes… My grandfather’s house…” Wilson replied, a wistful tone to his voice. “He had all of these books…”

“Not much of a reader myself, but I love hearing a good story.” Woodie looked around. “I think Wickerbottom has the biggest collection of all.”

Wilson looked around as well. “It's almost just like my grandparents' collection if not possibly bigger… Really brings back memories.”

“I see…” Woodie stretched a bit. “Welp, I don’t know about you, but I’m going out hunting. You’re welcomed to join if you wish.”

Wilson looked longingly at the books before he turned to Woodie.

“That would be wonderful. We’ll need plenty of supplies… Food included.”

“Let’s get going then. I know a good spot full of rabbits.”

Wilson smiled.

“Let’s not waste more time then.”

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 4

Survive the Shadows Chapter 12.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Shattered

Growls and howling could be heard as Maxwell walked about the land. They didn’t bother him. They were exactly what he wanted to hear. He smiled as he came upon a clearing, with hounds of varying colors that were either resting or gnawing on meat. In the center of them all was a varg who was keeping watch.

Perfect… A giant may not have been able to take his life, but what’s one giant compared to a whole pack of hounds?

He brought his fingers to his lips, giving a loud whistle, drawing the attention of the varg and the hounds.

“Dear hounds, kneel before your master.”

The hounds did as told, as well as the varg, all bowing their heads in respect.

Maxwell walked among them, grinning widely.

“I see you’ve had a good hunt… but I have a favor to ask. How does human flesh sound to all of you?”

The hounds let out howls of delight, looking at Maxwell expectantly.

“Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it?” He held out his hands, showing them images of Wilson and his companions with shadow flames. “Your targets are these survivors, however, I do have one main one that needs to be dead no matter what.” He made Wilson the only one visible now. “This one must be dead at all costs. Whatever you want to do with his corpse afterward is all up to you, dear beasts.”

The hounds sounded off again, all looking to the varg who approached Maxwell, sniffing him a bit. Maxwell held up the image of Wilson to it.

“This has his scent. You’ll be able to find him with ease.”

The varg took the scent in before nodding, looking to the hounds as they gathered around it. It looked to Maxwell one last time, almost seeming to grin at him.

“Go.” Maxwell grinned. “Destroy him.”

The varg howled before running off, the hounds following behind it.

Maxwell grinned, laughing at bit as he saw them go.

“Your days are over, Wilson.”

oooooo

Wilson groaned as another rabbit managed to chew through a trap. He was out hunting with Woodie and had stopped to check on the many traps he had placed in the savannah… But it was getting quite irritating.

“You get BACK HERE!” He growled, grabbing his spear and giving chase after one in particular. “I SWEAR I’M GOING TO MAKE RABBIT STEW AND EARMUFFS OUT OF YOU!”

“Bit violent eh?” Woodie called over from where he was tending to Lucy, a sack of meat near him from previous hunts.

“DON’T CARE! MATTER OF PRIDE NOW!”

Woodie shook his head, watching Wilson run around for a bit until the scientist was hunched over, trying to catch his breath.

“We need to get moving and meet up back with the ladies. We got work to do. We can worry about bunnies later.”

“They… Mock… Me…” Wilson growled, staring one down, swearing it was looking straight into his soul. “With their beady little eyes and their fluffy tails and… UGH!”

Woodie grabbed him by his arm, starting to pull him away.

“Not. Worth. It. Besides, kill too many and something might happen.”

“Like what?” Wilson grumbled, hauling the sack over his shoulder.

“Somethin’ the ol’lady said about some monster called Krampus…”

“... Sounds like a myth. An actual myth.”

“Myths here seem to be fact.”

“Would seem to be that way…”

Woodie nodded, pulling out Lucy.

“I better get some trees cut down. I still haven’t made Wickerbottom her package that I was gonna bring her.”

“Just remember to be careful Woodie.” Lucy warned. “You’ve already chopped down a lot today, don’t want your curse acting up now.”

“I’ll be fine, Lucy.”

“Alright. Just keep it in mind.”

Wilson watched them go off to another part of the area, deciding to rest for a bit, taking a seat on a small rock. He was glad for a moment of rest, finally able to catch his breath… but… it wasn’t long before a familiar sound filled the air, causing him to freeze up, his eyes darting around.

… No… No… NO!

Howling that was growing louder and the trampling of grass following after. It was overwhelming… and for Wilson, based on all the crushing he could hear, it would be more than he could handle. He made a break for it, keeping his spear ready just in case.

“WOODIE!!!” He called out. “WOODIE! IT’S THE HOUNDS! HELP!”

A hound came up from behind, clawing at Wilson, just barely nicking his arm. Wilson cringed but kept going, his fear only growing larger as he saw more hounds appear around him, their bright white eyes glinting with delight as they chased him.

“HELP!!!”

Wilson tripped up a bit as a blue hound bit his pant leg, tearing it as he wrenched it free, taking his chance to stab it in the head. “GET BACK!”

Woodie soon appeared, swinging Lucy right for a few… But there was so many… A whole  pack… not just one or two… and all colors…

Wilson narrowed his eyes.

“Come and get it.”

I am going to destroy you ALL!

The hounds came barreling at both the men, biting at them when they could. They kept going, killing as many as they could. Yet only more replaced them. Wasn’t until Wilson knocked out a few more he knew why. He could see a varg not too far from them, sitting on a rock, howling, more hounds coming to its call.

“YOU!” Wilson shrieked, charging at it, readying his spear, going for the beast’s eyes. “THAT’S ENOUGH OUT OF YOU!”

The varg seemed to grin as Wilson approached, coming down from its rock, slashing Wilson across the chest with its massive claws, his spear falling out of his hand as he screamed in agony, collapsing to the ground, gripping his chest.

“AUGH!”

“WILSON!” Woodie called between taking out hounds, unable to come to his aid as more piled on him.

Wilson groaned, trying to get up, but found himself pinned by the varg. It looked at him with hungry red eyes. It let out a howl, hounds coming over, surrounding Wilson. The varg gave a wide grin before lunging its head down, biting right into Wilson’s neck.

Wilson let out a gasp. He felt dizzy… cold… his vision became blurry…

He went limp, his eyes closing shut as the varg let go. The hounds closed in around him, all bearing their teeth gleefully.

Before anything could be done, a loud shrieking noise pierced the air. The hounds were thrown aside, being bit hard by sharp incisors of a giant beaver.

The varg growled at it, trying to claw it, only to be knocked down by the beaver’s tail, the beaver soon biting into its neck, turning the beast into clumps of meat and fur. The hounds dispersed, seeing their leader was gone now, leaving Wilson where he was.

The beaver walked over to him, chittering at him, touching him gently with its nose.

“Woodie…”

The beaver looked over to where Lucy was currently sitting, the axe having a sad tone to her voice.

“He’s not moving…”

The beaver… Woodie, knelt down closer, nudging Wilson again with his nose.

“Come on buddy, wake up.”

Wilson didn’t respond. He just lied on the ground, his shirt soaked with blood around his chest and neck.

“No… It can’t be…”

Woodie pressed his ear against Wilson’s chest… horror coming to his eyes as he heard nothing.

“... Wilson… Oh why did it have to be you?”

Woodie picked him up into his arms, keeping him close.

“We were just starting to be friends too…”

Woodie waited a moment as his form soon returned to normal. He didn’t care how tired he was. He went over to Lucy, picking her back up along with everything else.

“Woodie…?” Lucy asked. “Are… Are you okay…?”

“No…” Woodie shook his head. “I thought I was done seeing death… I thought I’d never be bothered by seeing another survivor die but… this hurts… I don’t even know him that well…” Woodie lowered his head. “I thought I was going to have a new friend… I thought we could finally have hope that someone was going to take Maxwell down… but then I forget… every last one of us is still mortal.”

“... I’m so sorry… I wish we could fix this… I do…”

“There’s gotta be something… Wickerbottom has to know something… She said she could bring back Abigail… There’s gotta be something for Wilson too… It can’t end like this.”

Woodie tried to keep the tears from forming as he came upon Wickerbottom’s home, seeing Willow going over something with Wickerbottom in the garden. They soon took notice of him, eyes widening at his injuries, going even wider as they looked at Wilson.

“Good heavens!” Wickerbottom gasped, bringing a hand over her mouth. “What happened!?”

Woodie lowered his head.

“We were ambushed by a varg and its pack… I came out alright but Wilson…”

Willow kept her eyes on Wilson, horror in them… Tears slowly forming.

“No….” She shook her head quickly. “No… This can’t be real…. He’s not dead… He’s not…” She broke into a small sob. “HE CAN’T BE!”

Woodie came closer, laying Wilson on the ground before the two. Wickerbottom knelt beside the man, feeling his head and chest. She lowered her head.

“Cold as ice… and no heartbeat to speak of…”

“NO!” Willow knelt next to her, leaning over Wilson, holding his face in her hands. “Stop pretending to be dead! This isn’t funny! Wake up now so you can keep your promise! You promised me you wouldn’t die! You promised!”

Wilson didn’t respond… and even Willow couldn’t deny how cold his skin felt to her hands.

She sobbed, burying her face into his chest.

“No… No.... You were supposed to be by my side… We were going to… to get out of here… T-Take care of the twins…. You didn’t think I was crazy…” She whimpered a bit. “Why…?”

“Willow…” Wickerbottom frowned.

“Please, tell me there’s a way to bring him back.” Woodie interjected. “You mentioned bringing back Abigail, can’t you do the same for him?”

Wickerbottom sighed.

“Abigail has her soul. She’s fixable. Wilson? I have no idea where his soul is right now… I can’t do anything. Without it… he’s dead.”

Willow shook her head, holding onto Wilson…. Sitting up as she brought his upper body into her arms, resting her head against his. “I’m sorry…” She whispered to him. “... Isn’t there a way to track his soul down?”

Wickerbottom nodded.

“I’m sure an old friend of mine is looking for him right now as we speak. We can’t do anything, but he can… For now, all we can do is hope that he finds him and brings him back to us.”

Willow nodded, keeping Wilson close to her.

Please come back… We still need you.

I still need you.

• Like 5