Survive the Shadows

Confrontation BtS.png

Welcome to today's post! I decided since I did a BtS for Welcome to the Shadows, I thought it wouldn't be too much to do one for Confrontation as well. Though I probably won't have too much to talk about since unlike Welcome to the Shadows, this one was a different ball game in animation.

I hadn't really considered doing a video with this song since at the time I had gotten the idea of doing something with William and Maxwell in concerns to Confrontation, the most I thought I would do is just a picture that had the lyrics attached to it. Then well... I saw some pretty cool animatics that were floating around involving the song so I thought I'd give it a shot. (Plus, the other mindset was storyboarding practice.) So after some sound editing, the madness began.

It was kind of interesting going in since my mindset was I wasn't going to do much lip syncing. But I find I have one issue with myself. I sometimes can't stand it when character mouths aren't moving. I dunno just... it looks weird to me sometimes. In this case... I just couldn't handle no lip movement. Of course, it was because of that choice things took a little longer than they should've for an animatic. Not to say the lip movement was perfect. I kept it really simple with having repeating mouth shapes.

Mouth Shapes.png

If there was anything Confrontation taught me it was basically how to lip sync better. Mainly in just constructing proper mouth movements. While they were more simplified here, it was still a good study of mouth shapes in general. Came in handy for when I animated Welcome to the Shadows later on and for my Top of the World AMV that's still under way.

I found looking in a mirror for a few minutes while mouthing to the words of Confrontation helped me figure out how to draw the mouth shapes better. (And facial expressions too.) Though I learned that I really couldn't work on this project in public because I would still be mouthing words while trying to draw frames and someone would be staring at me for a minute before I noticed. (Note: Probably best not to work on projects when you're having lunch at a cafe.)

Lip syncing was just the bane of my existence for this project. While everything was simple, I still had to time the mouth movements. At the time, I wasn't aware I could do the lip syncing in my photoshop program because I thought photoshop wouldn't be able to handle huge sound files. (Let alone a whole song.) So I wound up drawing all the mouth shapes I thought I would need for a scene then took them to premiere to piece together.

Frames.png

I can slowly hear my sanity meter dropping again just looking at this. If you look at all the pink boxes, each box equals an individual frame. Imagine having to go in and place those all correctly and then maybe noticing sometimes you might've put the wrong frame in. That's what happened a lot during this one. And timing for this was scary sometimes for more complex scenes.

Confrontation-33.gif

(Note: This is just a gif of all the frames. This is not properly lip synced.)

Like this one. This scene has poses to worry about along with the mouth shapes so... yeah I admit I was kind of freaking out at times. Thankfully I had my co-writer to act as a sanity buddy. Later on I would learn about the lip syncing in photoshop with sound and it would cut back on the headaches that this project gave me, as well as save time.

Some fun facts about this project:

- The original concept spawned from one picture I did after learning about Maxwell's past.

- This project has a total 356 different pictures that make up the whole video.

- The background of the throne room in this video helped me figure out what my final design of the place would look like in StS. (It was also my first time drawing the nightmare throne.)

- I learned how to draw William and Maxwell better after this project was over. Having to draw them over and over again really helped me get better at drawing them quicker.

- I freaking hate Maxwell's corsage sometimes. There actually is a scene in the video where it's not present. I didn't bother fixing it because the lip syncing was already done and I didn't want to have go through the pain of inserting it. (It's an animatic, I'm allowed to be messy.)

- There's only one shot I repeated in use.

- This video was in progress right before New Reign came out so I admit it made me nervous about Charlie in this because her appearance was rather different from her official one. (I got over it though.)

- Still on the subject of New Reign, kind of interesting seeing both videos portray split personalities. (Even if it's two different characters entirely.)

And that about wraps up this post. If there's anything else you would like to know about Confrontation please let me know and I shall expand on it. =)

Enjoy!

- Aileen Rose

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

You always manage o strike my feels ;_;

Btw, how many parts does that comic have? I'd rather wait for the whole thing to come out before reading it :)

If I've counted the amount of sketches I have for What Lies Beneath the total should still be 24 pages but it can be subject to change.

• Like 1

Wilson: When I said make friends... I didn't mean scar them for life!

Storyboarding practice. Quick and simple. Took about 3 hours.

Sorry Webber... Maxwell just hasn't quite gotten the handle on this whole friendship thing yet.

(This is all Storm's fault for planting the idea in my head.)

• Like 5

Cant Decode.png

Wilson generally knows what I'm up to, but even he admits the thumbnails of certain projects just aren't clear enough to those who aren't in the know about what the shots amount to.

Still slowly making progress on the 1:22 video. Just... things. These thumbnails are from that project.

I sketched everything out quickly in regards to posing. Reason things are going a lot smooth with this one for me. Even if I haven't hit halfway yet.

Wilson: Seriously, I better not have something horrible happen to me.

I make no promises.

Anyways, cheers!

- Aileen Rose

• Like 4