Tale of the Griefer

So one day, I logged onto a server when I was a new Don't Starve Together player, but I wasn't very trusting. One group was the exception when they told me the coordinates to their base (we had the coordinates mod on) and I see this guy... I don't remember his name, but lets call him Sam. Now Sam here seemed normal. I knew how emotes worked, and I waved, keeping a little bit away from him. He seemed to move like a confused duck. At first, I assumed it was lag, but no, this guy had a decent ping. So what was it? Well, I kind of stared at him for a bit. He seemed fairly new to the server, seeing as he had a tentacle spike, but no clothing items, not even an actual base (we learn this later on), so I assume he recieved the tentacle spike in a stroke of luck. I stay silent after I utter "Hello" to Sam. After a while, he started running towards me.

I was low on hunger, so I thought he was feeding me, but no, this guy slaps me across the face with that damn tentacle spike. Now, understandable, the server did have PVP on, so I shrugged it off, and moved back to the portal to revive. But get this, Sam decides to follow me. I end up figuring out what he was trying to do, so I tried leading him to an area with a few clockwork bishops I found earlier, but he stopped a little ways in. He knew what I was doing. So then, I decided to respawn at the portal once he got distracted (he clearly can't get his priotities of killing me multiple times or taming that beefalo straight). After a while, I make it to the base that was mentioned earlier. A while after that, I explored to find some food, and guess who I find? Sam. See, he seemed to have a beginner base going, and he wasn't even prepared for the winter which only had three days to come. I attempt avoiding him, but he quickly spots me, and starts running for me. Someone else distracted him, and me being the dumb newbie I am, I crafted a hammer, and threatened to hammer his base. After he said "Go on, it's not mine." I just took that as a go ahead and hammered that base.

Soon afterwards, I managed to safely get back to the base, and we found Sam passing by. Now thid guy starts hammering our base ready for winter, and we're wondering why. We asked why he was doing all this, and he said "You hammered my base." All of us knew this guy was trying to get out of harassing us by using that excuse. I have no clue, but when he fought him, armor and all, this guy with one single tentacle spike managed to kill us all. All 5 of us in the base with only cuts and bruises. The admin eventually took note, and heard our plea to kick him, or even ban him. I suggested kicking because banning seemed a bit harsh. Sam then responded with "I won't care if I'm banned, plus, this is a pvp server" after hammering our entire base, when he gave us the go ahead to hammer his. He was then banned, and we never saw him again.

Moral of the story for people who plan to do this, try not to give the go ahead to others when they threaten to hammer your base. I was out of the woods when he said "Go ahead."

5 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Seems like he really didn't do anything wrong, it's PVP after all...

The server was a cooperative server. PVP was only on because of one area they were planning to build and organize. Plus, he was doing PVP, i give you that, seems normal, but he was following me as a ghost so he could kill me again for no special reason, which is more of Harrassment than PVP. I see your point of view, but he wasn't PVPing, he was just killing for the sake of annoying others.

14 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

This whole story, right here?

Is why I don't PvP.

(That and I just don't find PvP interesting.  : P)

...Notorious

I rarely PVP because I find cooperation a lot more affective than just killing to get what you want. Don't Starve is one of those games where it isn't just "Kill people and you get what you want" and cooperating with others tend to get you to survive for a while if you have the right people.

59 minutes ago, Schism_989 said:

The server was a cooperative server. PVP was only on because of one area they were planning to build and organize. Plus, he was doing PVP, i give you that, seems normal, but he was following me as a ghost so he could kill me again for no special reason, which is more of Harrassment than PVP. I see your point of view, but he wasn't PVPing, he was just killing for the sake of annoying others.

I rarely PVP because I find cooperation a lot more affective than just killing to get what you want. Don't Starve is one of those games where it isn't just "Kill people and you get what you want" and cooperating with others tend to get you to survive for a while if you have the right people.

That whole ghost following is normally totally allowed in PVP, and killing for the sake of annoying also is (have you ever been on a PVP server? That's all they do)

But if the Admin wanted him out, then end of story. 

28 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

That whole ghost following is normally totally allowed in PVP, and killing for the sake of annoying also is (have you ever been on a PVP server? That's all they do)

But if the Admin wanted him out, then end of story. 

Yeah, the admin wanted him out because he was told that multiple times that killing for the sake of annoying someone, while also using another person's base, saying that someone can hammer it is unwanted, and is bannable. But yeah, he was kicked, so that's my story. 

I find Working together Better, I, Who Mains Widfrig, Will go and hunt Pigs, Beefalo, Koalafants, Catcoons, all that stuff, I even Fight Tallbirds, Clockworks, and Lureplants/Meatbulbs. I help Others Survive, Even if they did nothing for me. I'm The Person You Want to have In your Base. :D

Archived