Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

LiptonPee

Lipton's Creamatorium (Art Thread)

time for a new one lads  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Pain Split Spell?

2. 2. Top priority in design (PSS)?

• Characters
    • World-building
    • TELL US MORE LIPTON I WASN'T THERE FOR THE PUPPET SHOW
  3. 3. Next Fusion?

• Green Day
    • FS Highschool teachers
    • Skulls

LiptonPee    8,590

Over the last few years, on and off, I've poured my heart (and hours of time) out into trying to regularly post Don't Starve fan art. Really, my time is worth nothing.  Unfortunately I'm all out of fuel and I haven't had any luck popping out any more artwork for this game, so, Klei, I hope you enjoyed at least one of those 153 on-topic drawings.  As for everyone else, I know for certain you have. 

And well, since the month of March this year I've been letting other drawings "leak" into my posts, which I hid in spoilers. I kind of let everyone see a few concepts for an animated series I was pursuing, and they liked it, so I kept posting them. Eventually when Mafia came around, livestreaming gave me enough attention to be able to hang around with forum members and chat about the series, which I had dubbed for now "Dog House". 

61.png

It's given me a lot more confidence in posting things unrelated to Don't Starve, or rather, more confidence in posting the scribbled down bits of my dreams. It was kind of a big deal that people liked that stuff. As Mafia was ruined ended, the livestreams became more centered around DH. And now that I'm done posting in this thread, I think these secretive works deserve their own. I'd like to ask that my old thread (HOO-HA) is at least locked. 

So here's a massive dump of drawings that are mostly related to Dog House, some you may have never seen before, and some might just be misc. There's going to be lore in there, too. I mean I call it lore but it's mostly rambling- nonetheless, you don't gotta read it if you're just here for the pretty colors. I hope at least some of this inspires you if you're new to it, though. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Dog House's 3 main characters:

9.png

This is the oldest drawing I have of all three of them together. From left to right, their names are Donovan, Zed, and Adam. 

I want to say that more of their original designs show here, like the fact that Adam's outfit mimics Maxwell's. I designed them when I was 14 off of different things- Donovan being inspired by Oogie Boogie, Zed being inspired by Zacharie, and Adam being the child of a failed design for an axolotl. Originally Donovan was a plain stuffed doll looking mostly the same, except for a higher quantity of lace (and even pearls) around their body. Zed used to have bat wings and a lot more stripes, at a time no eyelids, and dilated pupils. Adam was just ugly, lmao

he still ugly tho that's who he is now

14.jpg

So these three are prison escapees, a teenage gang, and still on the run from the antagonists. All three of them at the beginning point of the story are 16. These 16-year-olds get sent to a high-security prison watched over by an evil church grim. I'll introduce him and other antagonists later. When the three of them break out they're hunted by different assassins to divert the media's attention from the prison break. 

4.png

Donovan is the brawn. Zed is the escape artist. Adam is the leader. 

They are three of many different species from the DH universe, Zed being a Splice, Donovan (seemingly) being an Enchanted, and Adam being a Demon

Splices are the children of an overflowing monster gene pool. Their appearances can range from "cool" to "abomination", most commonly the former. They're considered by most other monsters to be lower than them, yet make up a large fraction of the population. 

Enchanted are objects given life by their creators through magic. They are given only enough of their creator's life force to live around 80 years, and to the creator, that power is only a fraction of what they have, so they can craft multiple enchanted. Crafting enchanted isn't a hobby, it's a job that requires life-long dedication and a minimum of four enchanted to be made (and raised) by whoever's doing so. They can be crafted from cloth, clay, food, metal, etc. Their chances of survival may vary. 

Demons are not bred purely, they're an unholy method of adoption for couples that can't do the nasty. Let's say your partner's got an issue, you can't have a baby. Just take a strand of your hair, a strand of theirs, follow a couple dozen steps from a specific satanic ritual, and bam! It's a baby that resembles both of you (with a demonic twist, maybe a curse or two and no soul).

16.png

Moving on to other details, Donovan only introduces the concept of enchanted. The seemingly male stuffed toy is actually a human girl in disguise. Underneath that potato sack filled with paper-craft beetles is a blonde, blue-eyed, brass-knuckle equipped beast. Humans are a rare sight in DH, since they've been hunted to near extinction and only kept alive on hunting reserves and in zoos. Donovan was selected by Adam to be the brawn of his gang when they were in elementary school, and around the time she punched one of his rivals in the face for a bag of animal crackers. Her father is a large rat named Atticus. She has no adopted mother, but she has three siblings who are real enchanted. She fights when she's told to and has a thick mafioso accent, not unlike Adam. Her voice is mostly boyish, and slightly muffled. She's often the rational member of the group, but still a drone. She's been ordered not only to defend the gang, but make profit for it as well. She takes online courses on her little laptop, just in case Adam's plan to "get rich and have a pretty wife" fail and they need someone with a good job. 

18.png

They're the only species that don't have the reflective part of their eyes, the tapetum lucidum. This causes monsters to see them as odd, even frightening, and causes rumors to spread. For example, that their eyes suck the light from the air around them. There are a lot of these floating around that make humans seem more menacing to monsters. 

21.png

Zed is a seemingly thick-headed dimwit. He was chosen by Adam to be in the gang because of his ability to fly, and his chances of spawning a Familiar that can also fly. He often flies off on his own to go to secret places. He can lift three times his weight, but he can't throw a punch. While he's Adam's closest friend, he still gets into a lot of trouble with him. He hates his parents and sister simply for the sake of hating them, and he avoids visiting them. He can get very technical with himself when operating things like elevators and vehicles to aid in special escapes where's he's incapable of flying his friends away. Since Donna has taken responsibility of getting an education, Adam and Zed are left as high school dropouts. Zed's stupid demeanor is only a demeanor, therefor, he feels that he had made a big mistake by playing dumb for so long. He hoards stolen college textbooks in the back of a closet, and reads them. 

10.jpg

Adam is old-fashioned. He's fatherly and strict, commanding, has a bad smoking habit, and discriminates people. 

26.png

He leads the gang and gives the orders. He organizes crimes and carefully chooses rival/ally gangs from the suburbs of their town. He could always fly away from the assassins and the prison warden far enough, and stay away, but he still wants his horns back.

Spoiler

A brief covering of other species and side characters:

10.png

7.png

19.png

Familiars are summoned from an extremely secretive ritual preformed by realtors, only once a monster has purchased a home. They're a mandatory requirement for every structure payed for and legally owned (even the prison has one).

Zed's familiar is a crow. It can fly their home above the town to avoid contact with the law and make easy escapes to, since Zed can fly to it with Donovan and Adam, and winged monsters are extremely rare- chances are, nobody's going to be keeping up with them... most of the time. In Dog House, houses can be possessed by Phaeries and demons. Since we've covered demons already, let's move on to the more menacing version of their Faerie counterpart. 

3.png

22.png

Phaeries are the phantoms of faeries. If you want something nicer than a demon, it comes with a price. Faeries stay on earth when they die, becoming mischievous poltergeists. They can be bottled and re-released. Exorcists are an important investment in this universe, and they mostly consist of enchanted (your teddy bear does keep the monster under your bed away after all!). 

42.png34.png33.png2.png

Concept art of enchanted, and Atticus.

5.png6.png11.png

Very old concept art of Acorn and the Tie Club. I changed his design to look slightly less like Bill Cipher. 

64.png

And here it is! Also counts as a color ref for the Tie Club. There are many clubs in the high school that play important roles in the story, or at least strongly in the development of major characters. 

67.png

53.png

54.png

Not all faeries are hugs and kisses and silly pranks. These two are from an infamous gang of serial killers. Their killing methods are what makes them special, they like to stick to family tradition and kill the way their species was said to. Belkom, the donkey, is a Kelpie that drowns his victims, simply because that's "what they do". 

63.png31.png59.png58.png

And to end things for now, miscellaneous characters. 

Spoiler

Main Antagonists:

1.png

Dmitri is a bipedal bird assigned to hunting down Adam and bringing him back to the prison. He's very staunch, boasty, and energetic. Oddly, he is three years younger than the protagonists. At the time he is assigned to capture Adam, he is sixteen years old, while Adam is nineteen. 

8.png

He is equipped with a rapier, and he always wears a crown and cape (and pantaloons). He's insanely swift and quick to react to things, and his sword can cut through bone if he swings it fast enough. He probably has the most backstory out of all of my characters, and plays one of the most important roles. I could go on for hours talking about him, but that might put spoilers in the wrong hands. The least I can say is that he doesn't belong, and he knows that.

49.png

The second assassin (not including his son in this section) is named, for now, Ben. He had always been hunting for the warden, and is now assigned the duty of capturing Zed. He's very powerful and dangerous, a close pursuer, and void of empathy for anyone who isn't his son. His wingspan is colossal and his talons can break concrete. Unfortunately for him, he has far less stamina than Zed.

47.png

What better way to hunt a kickboxing enchanted than with steel and fire? We'll call her Margo for now, since she was inspired completely by Mergo's Wet Nurse.... and maybe scolipede. She's a megapede monster wielding two scythe blades, and flying with the nature of a dragon, breathes fire. She is by far one of the larger monsters in Dog House. 

23.png

She's assigned to hunting Donovan, which is still surprisingly difficult. While Donovan is terrified of her blades and fire, Margo is terrified of her human appearance. Margo is an assassin transferred from the town girls' prison, which is only in partnership with the boys' prison.

48.png

She isn't seen as often due to the publicity she gets just from chasing Donovan out in public, because they always make a large ruckus when they clash. Her ambushes are carefully planned by the warden himself.

20.png

This is Grim. He's the prison warden. His pelt is thick with the scraps of his victims and he doesn't let children escape his grasp without consequences. His design, and the very concept of how humans see monsters differently (and vice versa) were inspired by a faint memory of the church grim from Year Walk. Years since seeing it last, I remembered him being a large, bull skull-headed (and hairy) demon with a toothy grin, so that's how I drew him. 

32.png

He is a church grim that has taken responsibility of watching over a prison rather than a chapel. Instead of being the guardian of finances and ringing church bells all day, he is an avid taxidermist, and keeps most of his "collection" under his hair. Being a demon, he had easily manipulated the town into bending the laws at his whim. Monsters under the age of 18 can now be sentenced to life in prison. The young ones are easier to "steal" from. 

21.jpg

The Warden had been watching over the prison and stealing children away from the suburbs for hundreds of years. His beautiful white antlers had only recently fallen out with old age. He sent Ben out to find a new pair, a perfect fit, and Ben found Adam. 

26.png

The Warden, being a church grim, can shape-shift into different animals. He has three forms, one being the bull, the other being a buck, and the third being a wolf.

37.png

The Warden only transforms for specific reasons. 90% of the time, he's only a bull. He has full control of the body parts sewn and stitched to his hide, and he still pursues Adam because he wants his soul. Out of blind rage, he's willing to sacrifice everything to keep Adam in his prison for eternity. 

55.png

From left to right, Gary Owens and Kevin Arnold. Names and roles inspired by the Furnace series. Kevin's design was the very first to come to mind for me when starting DH, and was originally Adam's design. I just had such a hard time putting it down on paper that he eventually became a horned dragon. You might still see similarities. So Kevin is a (former) gang leader in the boys' prison, who always wears a black bandanna (not illustrated unfortunately) and has a hair-trigger temper. He is a cross between an axolotl and a shark, and he's squishy. He's one of Adam's biggest rivals.

11.jpg

This is an older drawing of Gary with different horns. He plays the role of taking over Kevin's gang when he arrives at the prison for killing his parents, rather than being framed like most other kids. The difference from the Furnace series is that he spares Kevin, and eventually lets him be his deputy because of the strong hatred they share for Adam and his friends. Adam, Donovan, and Zed all left them behind when they broke out when they promised to take the two with them. A large portion of Dog House takes place during their arrival to the prison, so these two are indeed major characters that even get introduced later in the story as well. 

57.png

Kevin Arnold is still intimidating and in a high place of power over the rest of the boys, especially with his climbing age. While Adam and his friends were 16, Kevin was 17 and Gary was 19. These drawings portray them at the time of Adam's arrival to the prison. I can confirm that they (and most monsters) look significantly different as young adults. I have not drawn them as young adults. I only have designs for Adam and Dmitri, which I will not show here. 

Spoiler

Very important side characters:

77.png

The main characters' ex girlfriends. 

Donovan ended up going on a blind date with Alice after she was informed that someone had written a paper ad requesting to meet her again, and that she was spotted at a coffee shop by this "secret admirer". At the time Donovan was still assumed to be an enchanted, and male. She was pressured into getting a girlfriend who only really liked her for the fact she looks like a chewtoy. Alice is a werewolf that can convert back to the form of a human. 

Zed scored Harley by frequently visiting his old home, that he would fly to in his free time to read at. The house was sold to a family of pottery enchanted, and he met Harley by terrorizing her for stealing his home, and tricking her entire family into thinking their house was haunted. Her cigarette/cigarette holder is a wand. She fights with magic, being what she is. 

Elizabeth just happened to grow up with Adam, and they just decided to start dating for "cool kid" points. Adam needed to seem straight, anyways. She's an albino crocodile with a sharp glare and a posse nobody likes to poke fun at. 

15.jpg

Alice probably has the most backstory, being a huge part of Donovan's. She comes off as preppy and thick-headed, but she's been following Donovan for a long, long time for more sinister reasons. 

In the future I will update this post with artwork and information. 

In the spoiler below I'm going to put fanart and links to the sources, so you can go give them credit. Note that some of these are OC's that have been implemented into the show's story. (I might not have remembered to save everything I've come across, apologies.)

Spoiler

@Youknowwho

Spoiler

Spoiler

9UB2mOq.jpg

(No direct source, this was linked to me through Imgur)

Spoiler

1gskszA.png

@Ysulyan

Spoiler

@Mezukie

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

@Battal

Spoiler

@SirKnight

Spoiler

@WaddleDee

Spoiler
Spoiler

wuarlu8.png

Spoiler

z2yJTys.png

MAFIA COMIC ARCHIVE

Pre-Season 1

Spoiler

XHRwPqB.jpg

Season 1

Spoiler

Season 2

Spoiler

brPcOGm.jpg

NiEs0s3.jpg

DK2KF7j.jpg

0TTv0Qv.jpg

Zeklo    10,692

*refresh refresh refresh*

This is really quite helpful. Fills in all the gaps I was unaware of, and I'm really digging the Venus fly trap monster.

Bebbit    2,753

Oh my god, these are so good. Glad you got this all organized. I UNDERSTAND IT NOW O:

...Fantastic art as usual. You're inspiring me as an artist to get into character design. Just inspiring, though. It's not like I'll ever do it ;| ...well, maybe i will, whatevs

My favorite characters of yours are probably that flytrap thing and Zed. And Donovan because IT'S SO HARD TO MAKE HUMAN CHARACTERS LOOK INTERESTING FROM A DESIGN PERSPECTIVE AND YOU DID IT.

Mr.P    3,996

*wakes up. Checks forums. Sees this*

Well then that's a good way to increase my mood even more today.

And got damn thanks for giving a bit more backstory on DH since I always missed either the streams or the part of the streams where you talked about it. So my sincere thanks cause now I understand it a lot better.

Ysulyan    3,893

So as I said before, this lore is wonderful.
Not only you created this with your waking moments but also while dreaming and that's the beauty of all of this. Most of us have ideas through dreams but focusing on this case I'm going to say I'm surprised. I never thought there was that much information hidden behind your drawings; I mean I knew there was stuff but not this deep!
I love the lore, I like the different species, their classification, the fact that Donovan is actually a human omg (I didn't see the drawing of him taking out the potatobag suit/disguise before). I love the fact that each and every single character has a story, a distinction from one another and physical characteristics that are easily differentiated to identify them much more easily.
Their concepts are well done and the work put here is simply great, and I am happy that you could make all of this on your own. Keep it up. Thanks for sharing the arts and lore, I know sometimes it's difficult to do with the latter... (considering sharing lore as well right now)

LiptonPee    8,590

Antagonist information has been added to the OP!

Here are some pictures that might leave you asking questions.

68.png

31.png

I finally have the concept for adult Zed- of course, he'd be wearing clothes. Splices don't age well.

If you want to be notified when I'm livestreaming, follow me. 

Mobbstar    13,203

Clearly, Dmitri amalgamed with a faerie and went full-psychopath.

I do wonder where the blade went, though...

DragonMage156    16,863

Why haven't I posted here yet? This stuff is amazing and, did you say you were gonna animate it one day? I'd love to see that :)

If I started a lore thread with my OCs, I don't think I'd get the same amount of replied and feedback as you do ^_^ your stories and lore are more in-depth anyway which is what keeps people interested.

LiptonPee    8,590

Maybe post-worthy, maybe not. But Sigma got a complete re-design- to better follow the arctic theme of the gang he's in, Antifreeze.

1D2Oy9e.png

^ Up here is the original design by @WaddleDee

70.png

And here's the new one.

LiptonPee    8,590
1 hour ago, MenaAthena said:

Lipton I think the polls are messed up. It thinks I've voted on these new ones when I haven't.

Should be fixed, now.

If I'm replying I might as well post something, too. I just finished this a few minutes ago.

His name is Dare. Color scheme extremely debatable. This is another character concept from @Youknowwho

71.png

MenaAthena    9,891

Well now we have another problem because I don't know what to vote for in the first option because I want to know the story spoilers and I also don't want to know the story spoilers and AJHEVJYCFDWJDYCGQWAC DJGC H

*cough* Sorry.

Battal    9,856

I honestly don't think you should add major spoilers.  Like I said in our Tumblr discussion, it would probably be a good idea to keep the big details under wraps, or only to people you trust.