The Complete King Saga

The Complete King Saga. 

A series of fictional Don't Starve Together stories. From The King's perspective. These stories take place before the events of the Webber Saga, which you can read here.
Part I -Seeds of Order

I had been playing on a wilderness PvP server for almost 16 in game days now. It had a world regeneration mod and the max world size, it also had almost 35 players. The season was late summer, and I had just built a crock pot for my tiny base in the savannah. Things had been going smoothly. My neighbour was a Wilson who I frequently traded with. The only thing I couldn't do was go to the middle of the map, as there were major PvP battles and small scale player wars. This was mostly because I was awful at kiting and I couldn't fight to save my life (and it didn't help that I was playing Wendy). Even with that handicap, I had survived quite nicely. That was, until bandits mugged me for the second time. The first time I was robbed, two Willow's had come with axes and armour, and demanded all my food. I did understand though, they were probably desperate and they had died quite a few times. But, the second time was different. Two hardened robbers (both Wigfrid's), notorious in server chat, had come and taken everything from me. Everything, every last twig and piece of cut grass. 

Luckily they didn't wreck my little base, but I realized that I wasn't going to survive much longer like this. I needed some supplies, and fast. After foraging, I managed to get enough flint and twigs for an axe, then I approached my neighbour. I convinced Wilson to give me some supplies, and I promised I would repay him once I was less close to death. Starving wasn't my biggest concern, but I needed some supplies. With haste, I trekked out of Wilson's base, hoping to find someone in the wild who I could kill and steal from. Soon after I encountered a Willow, who was obviously a new spawn. She begged me for stuff and I told her that if she gathered grass, twigs and flint for me I would give her some food. It was an empty promise, but I was growing desperate. I had spent morning and dusk searching for a target, but hadn't found anyone. Then I found a Woodie beside a science machine. I stayed out of screen range until night, and when he built a campfire I slipped in near him and attacked with my axe. He panicked, and ran out into the darkness, only to meet his death.

I hammered his science machine, since I had one back at my little base, and grabbed his stuff. He had lots of berries, and a good amounts of grass, twigs and flint. I wasn't going to die so easily after all. But, then the Willow I had met earlier came back, and she proudly placed a stack of twigs, grass and 13 flint on the ground. It was quite surprising, as I didn't expect her to actually gather things for me. I decided to keep my promise and gave her some of the berries I had collected. Willow proceeded to ask if she could join my base, which I would have normally declined, but I had a feeling this Willow truly wanted a partner. That, and that she just got me a ton of stuff. I lead her back to my base, and commissioned her to gather manure and chop trees. Using my trusty science machine, I crafted us spears, log suits and backpacks. Then I gathered twigs and grass. I introduced Willow to my neighbour, why was pleasantly surprised to a new member of our little base complex. 

But, that night everything changed. Night fell as Willow was coming back from gathering, and I was feeding the fire. Then, the two bandits who had robbed me two days before came back. They demanded I give them whatever I had in my inventory. I wasn't going to stand for this, they had mugged me before, but they weren't going to do it again. Although I was awful at kiting, I charged them, spear in hand, wearing my log suit. Unfortunately, their basic ability to kite was very effective against an inexperienced PvPer like me. My first idea was to tank them, but they dodged my hits, and would then swing in to hit me once or twice. I adapted and tried to copy their technique of kiting, and it worked well. With this newfound tactic, I was dodging most of their hits and even getting a few of my own. I was better at kiting that I thought, but it was too late in the fight to make a comeback. A lot of my health had already been drained as a result of my blind tanking, and my health was ticking down slowly as I took hits. It would take a miracle could save me now. But, I had a stroke of luck as Willow came running through the darkness. She seemed to instantly realize what was going on, and rushed into the battle with her spear in hand. 

Willow kited them like a true warrior, and finished the job I had started. In the end, two skeletons and their supplies dropped to the ground. I was amazed at how Willow had become Rambo overnight, but I didn't question it. Then I realized something, these guys would probably be back once they chose their new characters, and they would want revenge on us. When I told Willow about this, she suggested we move our base. I thought this was probably a good idea, since the beefalo heard we were near was pretty small anyway, and with all the gold and rocks we got from the Wigfrid's we could build a base anywhere. We hammered down the structures, and I headed over to Wilson's base. I talked to Wilson, and tried to convince him to come with us, but he declined, stating he was happy with his little base. The two of us wished him good luck and we set off. 

Part II -A Growing Empire

Willow and I journeyed for a long time until we found a good place for our base. We settled in another savanna, this one had many more beefaloes and was quite far away from the old base. I hoped this meant less people would find our settlement, but I doubted it. We built the alchemy engine we had saved before we hammered down our base, and I started building the essentials to our new settlement. As night fell, we had an ice box, two crock pots and six drying racks. It was about halfway through autumn, and we started preparing for winter. I ventured out to find some spiders, since we needed silk for winter clothes, but I found something else.

I discovered a duo of Wilson's, but they didn't seem very coordinated, and one of the Wilson's tried to attack me with his axe. Well, tried to. With my primitive kiting knowledge I easily defeated my attacker, who had no armour and was carrying grass and twigs. Wilson #2 probably was only spending the night beside the now small campfire of the late Wilson #1, and didn't attack me. Then he asked me if he could join my base, which I would have normally declined, but then I had second thoughts. I was hesitant to accept another stranger into my base, especially when I already had a partner, but I knew Willow had been really helpful ever since I joined forces with her. I didn't think that Wilson #2 really cared that I had rid the world of Wilson #1, so I led him back to the base. 

Dusk fell, and I introduced Wilson to Willow. In the coming days I quickly learned that Wilson wasn't so good at fighting or using the crock pot. I tried to teach him to fight, but it didn't really work out so well. We frequently came back to our base to see our fridge filled with wet goop. Fortunately, I did succeed at teaching Wilson how to make crock pot food, and soon we would come back to the base at the end of a day with a fridge full of meatballs. Besides making crock pot foods, Wilson did the simple jobs, like chopping trees and harvesting traps. After Willow found some spiders, she busted a tier 3 nest and brought it back to our base. Everything was going well, until Wilson decided to come exploring with Willow and I one day. 

While we were passing through a forest, Wilson spotted a group of three players: two Wickerbottom's and a Webber. They were beside three chests and some crock pots. Wilson stopped, thought for a moment, then told us he was going to raid the base. This was exactly the thing I was trying to avoid when I joined forces with Willow. I wanted to be trusted by the other players, but Wilson didn't care. I should have let him charge into the base and get himself killed, then I could have just pretended that Willow and I didn't know him if we were questioned. But, I couldn't bring myself to do it, and I charged into the base after Wilson. He had already started attacking Webber, and the two Wickerbottom's grabbed spears and log suits from the chests. The two librarians double teamed Wilson, who would have died without his log suit. Willow charged and duelled the two Wickerbottom's, while I fought the Webber myself. 

The Webber and I had about equal kiting skill, and we danced around as Wilson ran away and Willow duelled her opponents. Willow ran over and started attacking Webber, and I charged at the Wickerbottom's. Nobody was expecting a mid fight foe swap, and it was very effective. I got a couple hits on the Wickerbottom's, and Willow killed Webber. This evened the odds of the battle, now it was two on two. We charged at our foes, both of us attacking the same Wickerbottom. Both the librarians could kite well, but we manage to eventually kill one of them. Then, since I thought the final Wickerbottom was probably quite damaged and demoralized, I tried a somewhat diplomatic solution. "Surrender or die!" I told the final Wickerbottom. I felt like a pirate saying that, but I wanted to at least seem like I was being somewhat reasonable. The Wickerbottom seriously considered her options, then she told us her terms. 

She would let us keep all the stuff from the corpses and the chests, on the condition she could keep her inventory and join our group. I private messaged Willow and we discussed the terms. I refused to let the person who we just fought join our base, I knew she would grab all our valuables and run away. But Willow wanted her to join, she told me she would keep her eye on Wickerbottom for a while. I tried to convince Willow that this was a bad idea, but she told me to trust her. Last time I trusted Willow she saved me from two bandits, so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. 

We brought her back to our base, where Wilson awaited us. Under fierce watch, we let her put some of her belongings in the chests. Then she cooked some food in the crock pot. Her activity seemed pretty normal, but we had to be watchful, she could turn on us at any minute. But, as the days passed, we stopped being so paranoid, and Wickerbottom became the base farmer. She transplanted twigs and berry bushes and made farms. With her farming books, we would never run out of food. We made plans after winter to get some bee boxes and start a honey farm. Winter soon came, and we were well prepared. Everyone has winter hats, and we had plenty of stockpiled food. But, soon things would change. 

Willow and I were out exploring, when we had a run in with a group of people. It was a group of six players. Three Webber's, two Wolfgang's and a Wigfrid. To call them a group was an exaggeration, this was basically a mob of players with axes who banded together so they could kill anyone in their way. I figured the Webber who had a spear and a log suit was the ringleader, and the Wigfrid was probably second in command. The rest of them had axes, and both Wolfgang's were in wimpy form, so I figured food was a problem in their group. Then the Webber with the log suit charged, and the rest of the group followed. 

We tried to fight them, but their sheer numbers were too much. Retreat was now our only option. However, they kept chasing us. The two of us were too far away from the base go run back, and if we didn't keep running they would catch us. I had Willow follow me into a forest, and chop a couple trees down so there was a large patch. But, if the patch was lit ablaze, it wouldn't roast the entire forest. Willow lit it on fire, and we stayed in the burning patch. This meant Webber's gang had to split up. Webber charged alone into the patch first and we killed him and bolted before the entire patch lit ablaze, since most of the patch was still smouldering. With Webber dead, the group burst into chaos. The Wigfrid and one of the Webber's ran away, but the two Wolfgang's still tried to fight. After we got a few hits on them they ran off too. But, the final brave Webber charged at us by himself and promptly died a stupid, avoidable death after we double teamed him. 

We collected the spoils of our battled and headed back to our base. But, we had no silk. I used our valuable rock supply to make everyone thermal stones, and we made plans to find silk in the coming winter. I also needed to find the MacTusks and try to get a walrus tusk. Hopefully we would have a prosperous winter. But I wondered what had become of the many enemies we had made... 

Part III -King's Gambit

Winter began and the first few days went well. We had built hay walls and eventually an ice flingomatic, our base was growing in size too. The base had more crock pots, an extra fridge, and almost a dozen drying racks. I didn't have a plan to fight the Deerclops, but hopefully I could get to making one with my teammates later. Then, as I was going out to gather grass one morning, I encountered two wimpy Wolfgang's. Specifically the same Wolfgang's who had tried to kill me only a few days ago. They begged me for food and asked to join my base, but I was sort of getting sick of people asking that. I was seriously considering if I had a base, or just a shelter for people I beat in battle. After giving them a brief scolding, I told them they couldn't join my base and that they should find their own food. Willow would probably give me heck for it later, but I thought our group was big enough.  

I went to gather grass, but then one of the Wolfgang's told me that there was a secret plot to raid my base. My gut feeling told me this was a lie, but just to be safe I asked them more about it. They claimed the Webber I had killed and his Wigfrid sidekick had teamed up with the other two Wigfrid who had tried to mug us. Then I was told that the evil group was already searching for our base, and that once they found it they would strike. This seemed like a very complex lie, and I asked the Wolfgang's how they knew about such a plot. Apparently they had "been paying really close attention" to chat, and they said I should recruit them as guards to help us fend off this threat. I refused, and the strongmen said that once they found us we were going to get raided. Returning to the base, I placed the grass I had gathered in a chest and asked the group what they thought about the Wolfgang's.

Wickerbottom and Wilson said we should fight them, and Willow unsurprisingly thought we should recruit the Wolfgang's. We added some extra hay walls to the base and made some tooth traps to place when the attack came. The attack didn't come in the next few days, but a stranger did. It was a WX-78, who by looking at his username, was my neighbour from our old base. We fuelled the fire and asked him why he'd come. He told us three Wigfrid's and a Webber had come looking for us near his base. He had told them that we had moved, but when he did they just killed him and burnt down his base. This was a demoralizing act, WX-78 (formerly Wilson) was an innocent victim of these people. There was no doubt that they would come for us soon, and when they did, we would fight. We armoured up WX-78 and gave him a thermal stone to keep him warm. I made sure to build some stone walls and placed them around the important parts of our base. Sure enough, one morning the two Wolfgang's came running into our base, warning us the Wigfrid's had finally come. 

We prepared our defences, and I fed and armoured the two Wolfgang's, on the condition they would fight for us. I decided to leave the base to see them for myself. They had set up a fire pit and crock pot about two screens away from our base. I tried to lure them in our base by standing near them, but they wouldn't move. They must be waiting for something. I went back to the camp with this information, and we discussed around the campfire. Wilson theorized they were trying to starve us out, and that when we ran out of food they would attack. This was doubtful, since we had enough food to last the winter. Willow thought they could be waiting for reinforcements, and that perhaps they would attack once they outnumbered us. I honestly wasn't sure what they were doing, but I found out the next day. A hound attack was coming soon, and I realized this is what they had waited for. 

We planted the traps, and when the hounds came, so did the Wigfrid's. The hounds attacked the Wigfrid's first, but the Webber busted one of our walls and led his group into the base. Willow and I charged, while WX-78 and Wickerbottom fought the hounds. Wilson raced from wall to wall, repairing them so the entire base didn't fall apart. There was at least 15 hounds, and about six of them ran through the hole Webber made. I duelled Webber, but Willow got mobbed by the Wigfrid's. I tried to save her, but I got stun-locked by hounds as I tried to escape my duel with the spider boy. Once Willow had died, they split up. The six hounds attacked Webber and I, but I was able to escape and rush over to Wickerbottom. I was at half health and my armour was broken, but Webber had died to the hounds. WX-78 and Wickerbottom had killed most of the hounds, leaving only the six inside the base left. The two Wolfgang's had helped with killing the hounds, but they were currently duelling two of the Wigfrid's.

I spotted the third Wigfrid with a torch equipped beside the remains of our ice flingomatic. I ran over to the would-be arsonist, forcing her to draw her spear and fight, rather than burning down our base. But, in my haste I had left Wickerbottom and WX-78 to fight the six hounds alone. They had succeeded, but they were both badly damaged. I fought against the Wigfrid, the same Wigfrid who was in the mob Willow and I destroyed. Fortunately, she wasn't very good at kiting, and I managed to get the upper hand. As she realized I was winning, she ran over to our chests and lit them on fire. Without our flingomatic we had to defence against fire. I used a boomerang I had crafted before the battle, but it wasn't enough to stop her. She lit part of the walls on fire, and manually lit the parts that were smouldering.

I drew my spear and attacked again, killing her. But the damage had been done. The walls burst into fire, and WX-78 and Wickerbottom, who had been near the walls fighting the hounds, died in the blaze. The Wolfgang's had managed to kill their opponents, and they rushed over to me. The stone walls were the only things left untouched by the roaring flame. Our once glorious base was gone, and with it, many of it's founders. Only Wilson and I remained. We hammered down the burnt structures, but we didn't have nearly enough resources to rebuild the base. This was the end of this settlement, but now that I had seen the power of the people united, I didn't think this would be the end of my empire. 

Archived