Ice-Flingomatic

My friends & I were playing Don't Starve Together one early afternoon. We were in the beginning of summer, and we were all nearly dying from heat strokes. I took the last melon for myself for a fashion melon, and my 2 friends I was playing with shortly died after. I resurected them via taletell heart and all was well. It turned night, and they had a small fire going, and I was starting to overheat no matter where I was. So, I thought the ice-flingomatic would keep me cool. I turned it on, and it put the fire out & they couldn't make it to the small light emitting off of the flingomatic, and we all died from being in the darkness while my friends are yelling at me that I killed them all. 

dst3.jpg

Was it an endothermic fire or a normal one?  The blue fire _should_ have cooled you down; if not something was wrong.  Also, yes, the fling-o-matic WILL put out _any_ fire near it...including fires you actually want.  I've _kinda_ learned to run over, turn it off, and THEN put a log on the endothermic firepit in the last bit of dusk--but every now and then, I still forget to turn it off first and waste some fuel anyway...

Basically at night you have to be on alert.  As ridiculous as it is that things can catch on fire from the sun's heat _when the sun isn't even up_, they can, so you have to watch for smouldering and run over to put it out yourself.  Obnoxious, but it's the only way you can keep your base from burning down at night AND not die of darkness. Keep "extra" ice in the fridge and a clear line from yourself to it, is my advice.

Also those are some serious mods you have going on there, if someone was playing as Wortox. : P

...Notorious

It was just a regular fire pit, I don't think they thought of having the endothermic one. We only had character mods, and different tool mods on. Nothing big. My friend uses the tool mods, I only use the character mods. I was playing as Spekkle a "vegan" fairy who photosynthesises during the day, and at night you have to feed her, but she can eat almost nothing & be just fine. Very easy & enjoyable player. You can find the mod on steam workshop. 

I've hardly used any mods yet...and I'm not sure which ones I'd start with.  Probably the one that puts Willow back to her old self in Together, as that's not really cheating or making things easier; just restoring code that the singleplayer game already had.  Or things that just add more flavour.

Anything that makes things easier or more convenient, no.  I'm an ornery little cuss and I'm determined to see if I can do really well at the game _at vanilla default settings_ BEFORE I start fooling around with mods that make things easier, including stuff like being able to wear a backpack and armour at the same time, super-stacking items, or knowing precisely what your "naughtiness" points are.

...but as soon as I can beat Adventure Mode without cheating, ANYTHING GOES!  :D

...that won't be anytime soon though.  : P

As for you using "serious mods", I was only joking.  And the only reason _I_ knew about the endothermic fire/firepit is because before I got anywhere near a Reign of Giants summer, I had already read people going "Oh, my GOD, summer is the WORST!  You overheat all the time and things catch on fire!" so...I had outside information.  Heh.

The fling-o-matic, for the record, doesn't cool you down at all.  It's just for fires. You can, however, _eat_ ice to temporarily cool down.

...Notorious

I typically wait until the last moment to throw a log on the (endothermic) fire like usual, forget the fling-o-matic is on, go "DAMMIT!", hit self in forehead, light torch, turn fling off, put new log on, turn off torch.

...and then I wonder why I run out of logs a bit faster in the summer...

So basically:  Even somebody who KNOWS better can still do this.  All. The freaking.  Time.  : P

...Notorious

Archived