Has Summer been made WORSE?

First, let me preface this by saying that I use no mods at all.  This is regular game programming as of May 23, 2016.

So I'm playing RoG, and I can tell there have been some tweaks,most of them welcome (I'm playing as Willow, and she finally notices the fact that the endothermic fire is different, for example.  ("BURN!  BURN FASTER!  AND BLUER!")).  I'm on my third summer of the run, and suddenly it gets worse than I ever remember it being before!

Like, even with a straw hat AND an umbrella AND under a tree AND with a blue (not frozen, but still blue) thermal stone, I am insta-dying.  I mean INSTA.  I died _twice in one day_, and the only reason I managed _that_ was because of a life-giving amulet I had just barely put on...to help heal my overheating damage!

It was not only so bad I couldn't  leave camp--which I needed to, because I was low on every type of fuel--but I couldn't even live IN camp!  Even putting the thermal stone back in the fridge every few seconds + hat + umbrella + tree, still, two deaths, one day.  I had wanted to see if I could hit the 200-day milestone in RoG, but it got so bad, I grabbed a few useful things out of my chests, jumped into the nearby wormhole that luckily takes me right to the Wooden Thing (which I had assembled earlier) and BOOKED it to the next world on day 171.  Dude, Klei, whatever tweak you've done to summer--STOP IT!  It was bad enough already!  The other two summers were "normal", but whatever the new possible top temperature is...it's too high.

EDIT:  I just realised I should've put this in the Reign of Giants section of the forum; my bad.  If any mod wants to move it there go ahead.  At any rate, when you can't get into and out of your icebox easily because your own skeletons, PLURAL, are blocking the way, summer is obviously a bit too harsh.  (Yes, you can hammer them.  That is obviously not the point.)

...Notorious

i survived my first time with a summer frest and an endothermic fire pit just fine, it was really annoying prior to the shirt though

i've been told that if you have insulating clothing; holding a thermal stone can actually do the opposite effect and put you in dangerous temperatures faster.

No insulating clothing.  I've never had a Snow Chester (the one time I did manage to get 9 blue gems at once...I died before the next full moon!) but I was standing right by the fridge and putting the stone back in every two seconds. That's how bad it was.  I not only wasn't able to leave base, I was in trouble even _in_ base.  I mean, how do you think my skeletons _got_ in front of the icebox?  It wasn't because of pigging out on the food in there... : P

I swear, that one summer was indeed WAY more severe than even "normal" for RoG.  When the stone was frozen, the heat haze went down to "just" the yellow version. The second the stone turned even blue, the red came back and HUGE down arrow and dear lord, you've never _seen_ anyone die so fast from temperature.  It was CRAZY.

...all this, and I had wanted to go chop trees for fuel that day.  The nearest trees were _less than one screen away_, and I couldn't get there.

(Lean-to Siesta?  Good idea, if I had gotten around to replacing it after Deerclops happened.  I was still working on things like beebox and meat effigy at the time.  You can't get yellow bees or beard hair (if you're not Wilson) until after spring, so...)

I've survived several other RoG summers with "nothing" but straw hat/umbrella/shade and making an endothermic fire partway through the day while exploring, same as how you have to make a normal fire partway through the day in winter, so, I do know what to do in general.  And I always plant "shelter trees" (that I have to keep reminding myself not to chop down!) over the spots in camp where I spend the most time, for both summer heat and spring rain.  Never had a summer frest, but didn't need one.  I don't know how much that would've helped in my Summer of Death situation--I might've had _five_ seconds instead of two before the down arrow came back!  Wow!

...Notorious

8 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

You can't get yellow bees or beard hair (if you're not Wilson) until after spring, so...)

What? You can still catch bees, and build bee boxes with them, they'll still attack you and stuff, but they're still normal bees with a killer bee texture.

Also you could go into the caves and kill beardlords, or spulmonkies(I can never remember their name) for beard hair but I would only recommend this with an eyebrella as the rain in the caves is very severe.

Archived