19 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Is that supposed to be my father? And Idk what pipistrella means/is a reference to :/

1079120_1342694362224_full.png

I just thought it'd be cute.  >.< '

"Pipistrelle/Pipistrello" means "Bat". The "a" makes it sound femalisticoidally, that's probably why you couldn't find it. (EDIT: "it" as in "the translation", not "some character coincidentally named the same" :p )

On 3/27/2017 at 1:57 PM, Mobbstar said:

It is @DragonMage156's birthday :D

Reveal hidden contents

dragonmage7big.png

The shading is weird, I know. I blame my arm eventhough most of this has been drawn before day X.

Crap, a purple dragon. Okay.
And we're talking about an adult dragon--
Damn, I need to impress...
Time to sharpen my claws and fangs because it's going to be a bloody fight to gain respect and acceptance in the family.

... What do you mean you don't follow the old traditions?
Oh...

btw happy birthday! God I keep forgetting birthdays

7 hours ago, Ysulyan said:

Crap, a purple dragon. Okay.
And we're talking about an adult dragon--
Damn, I need to impress...
Time to sharpen my claws and fangs because it's going to be a bloody fight to gain respect and acceptance in the family.

... What do you mean you don't follow the old traditions?
Oh...

btw happy birthday! God I keep forgetting birthdays

Oh don't worry, I don't really care if my family accepts you or not (especially my father :wilson_dilemma: ... it's a long story)

Thank you so much Ysu! ^_^

Spoiler

aaaash.png

Get your own Chibi for the low low price of 0.01c*

*per character; VAT not included

Some Cave Story fanart (blame @rubidiumsart)

Spoiler

ishouldbedoingthethingforladydbutamdoingthisinstead.png

I feel really sorry for Misery. Admittedly, she forced her exiled and insane uncle to forge an artifact of unbearable power and in doing so doomed not only herself, but also the entire world, but Jenka still seems a bit mean to her. (They never interact in-game though)

wubba lubba dub dub

Spoiler

birbperson.png

Spoiler

ladyd.png

Hi, I am totally LadyD! You may have been wondering where I've been and how that whole becoming-an-author stuff has been going. Well, I felt like getting more inspiration and drove to the Pete's Dragon film shooting and watched the exchange of fire for a while, when Elliot picked me up and took me over the gardenwall and to China. I learned how to build a wall to defend my country against invasions and the responsibilities of the outside world I brought upon myself willingly, having wanted and still wanting to aid my friends in need through any means, but feeling utterly overwhelmed by the tasks and duties which formerly seemed doable. She needs all help getting around she can and I make false promises simply because I felt like doing it once and never again. My actions and my every decision are sinful and destructive to all. I'm not evil, I'm worse, I'm useless. My memory and willpower fail me, and I fail her. The entire world is going to ruin because of people like me, but I've done a tiny little work towards the crowdfund trailer so it's fine now.

I've drawn the lines on the sketch layer <.<

*exaggerated for marketing purposes

59 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

wubba lubba dub dub

Hide contents

birbperson.png

Hide contents

ladyd.png

Hi, I am totally LadyD! You may have been wondering where I've been and how that whole becoming-an-author stuff has been going. Well, I felt like getting more inspiration and drove to the Pete's Dragon film shooting and watched the exchange of fire for a while, when Elliot picked me up and took me over the gardenwall and to China. I learned how to build a wall to defend my country against invasions and the responsibilities of the outside world I brought upon myself willingly, having wanted and still wanting to aid my friends in need through any means, but feeling utterly overwhelmed by the tasks and duties which formerly seemed doable. She needs all help getting around she can and I make false promises simply because I felt like doing it once and never again. My actions and my every decision are sinful and destructive to all. I'm not evil, I'm worse, I'm useless. My memory and willpower fail me, and I fail her. The entire world is going to ruin because of people like me, but I've done a tiny little work towards the crowdfund trailer so it's fine now.

I've drawn the lines on the sketch layer <.<

*exaggerated for marketing purposes

11/10, will buy a ticket.

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

What's the story behind Jessie?

Here we go (extensive lore incoming, only last paragraph about Jessie directly though):

Spoiler

This world used to be wealthy, but simple, kind of like the Aztec realm at its peak, just without all the human sacrifices. The people had a variety of important caves, such as a seemingly endless salt mine, an inactive volcano's obsidian reserve and the "hole of no return". They believed orifices of the earth were holy in some sense and built temples to protect them from greedy and evil men, but also to protect themselves from temptation of going too deep too fast.

At first, the Waildrop cave seemed less interesting. It didn't provide exclusive material and wasn't very impressive. However, soon enough, the people learnt that the name-giving stalactite doesn't drip normal water. Consuming a simple brew, based on common herbs and said water, makes one physically sick for a day or two, after which the consumer enjoys accelerated recovery from any kind of injury or disease. Even incurable venom has been successfully treated using what was by then known as tears of the Old Ones.

The temple quickly became a popular sanitarium and spawned several towns around itself. Of course, the precious tears were carefully administered, only when the patient wasn't expected to get better or if no conventional cure was known. Mankind no longer feared disease nor injury. Rumor has it one of the local mayors even ingested the tears twice a year as a form of vaccination.

In a few years time, the first woman revealed bizarre changes to her body. These changes happened rapidly: Within weeks, she turned half-dragon and was praised by the public. Priests opposed, reminding that wings do not comply with their belief. The cases of lizardmen and half-dragons increased rapidly everywhere. Priests declared the transformed as infected and tried to cure them with the tears. When typical symptoms of the medicine did not occur, the sages were overwhelmed. Some of them demanded to purge the infection by force, others ended their own lives, their last words always being something along the lines of "I am infected too", but their bodies never revealing scales or such.

The high priests finally came to a resolution: The infected must be monitored and, should they become violent, may be put down without further justification necessary. It was easier said than done, seeing about a third of the population transformed. Ironically, it wasn't the infection which caused countless conflicts in society, it was how the people dealt with it.

Long story short: The infected were treated like the monsters they resembled. Dungeons had to release serial murderers and major frauds to make space for the half-dragons. The soldiers didn't even bother hiding the dead bodies of slain lizardmen anymore. Only in a few cities, the transformed people had the upper hand and forced the mayors to disobey the high priests. Those cities were the ones near the Waildrop temple, which had used the tears of the Old Ones a lot.

This goes to show that, alas, the Waildrop temple did not serve its purpose: Too many people had taken the tears too soon.

The epidemy resulted in a siege on said cities, the armies of which infamously had recently transformed soldiers in their own rows. They fought the infection for it had started to malform the body: Some grew stronger and bigger arms, others got an extreme hunchback, etc. These mutations were considered dangerous and justified the attack, at least in the general opinion.
However, the siege revealed something even worse about the infection. The first transformed started to fall apart. Their flesh and bones literally decomposed and left parts of their bodies lump and loose. A foul liquid was dripping from the open wounds, slightly acrid and bitter. Off in safe towns, the jailers noticed this with their prisoners too, claiming it only affects those whose injuries had been healed with the tears.

Jessie's personal backstory is surprisingly simple: They (original gender is unknown/unimportant) had almost lost their leg in an accident, which also left their face and chest scarred on one side. Thanks to the tears of the Old Ones, the leg did not die off and the scars went away completely. When the siege started, Jessie and their uninfected sister went to a temple, trying to slip out unnoticed. They couldn't leave normally as Jessie already started growing horns. Some soldiers caught them and chased Jessie deeper into the cavern, while taking the sister to a prison to see if she'd too transform. Without family nor friends, Jessie became a brutal monster residing in the temple. The soldiers had to retreat several times, but couldn't abandon this strategic location. Eventually Jessie's sister convinced them to let her calm Jessie and work out an agreement together. The plan didn't work, and a heroic soldier managed to slay Jessie before it could kill it's own sister. That's the end of that story...

You could make a 2d plattformer with this.

Actually, I just needed a warm-up doodle and added bits until Jessie happened. Then liked the design so much, I went ahead and made two more sketches. The story you just read was made up on the fly.

I will probably end up sketching a lot of this stuff soon. It's a decent setting.

Kind of interesting touch of religion and science. Interesting concept you have there. Like you mentioned, you could make a good game with the premise(or a netflix series like the new Dark Crystal series) to elaborate on the world building.

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

You could make a 2d plattformer with this.

I think @Battal can help you with that :) he's making a game of a similar style.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

or a netflix series like the new Dark Crystal series

Please don't tell me this is a remake of the original movie :/

Archived