.tex files?

Hi. So I just started trying to mod this game, and so forgive me if I'm failing to understand some very basic concepts.

So I went ahead and started trying to get a character into the game at all (that was my objective todae) which I was succesful at after some confusion over xml files and stuff. However, I'm really confused by the .tex files. To my understanding, they include the graphics for the characters at least...? I'm not even entirely sure of that. Anyways, I downloaded software which was supposed to open .tex files, but instead all I got was a ton of symbols and stuff; you know, what you get when you try to open images with text editors or the lyke.

So I tried to find conversion software. But every one I tried to download from here gave me the message that I wasnt allowed to download it? And then, I tried to use an online .tex to pdf converter, and it didnt work at all?

Anyways right now I have my 'character' in the game. Naturally they are as bland as its even possible to be since I havent actually, you know, done anything with them yet, I was just trying to make them usable at all. But also, they're invisible apparently? I dont know why exactly, since I copied what I believed to be the graphics files in from a sample character and another mod (which I was using for reference of how you make characters)

So, can anybody help me work out how all this works?

Welcome to the forums Len.Kagamine.

5 hours ago, Len.Kagamine said:

So I tried to find conversion software. But every one I tried to download from here gave me the message that I wasnt allowed to download it? And then, I tried to use an online .tex to pdf converter, and it didnt work at all?

I believe this is what you are looking for, first file out of the two when you press download:

5 hours ago, Len.Kagamine said:

Anyways right now I have my 'character' in the game. Naturally they are as bland as its even possible to be since I havent actually, you know, done anything with them yet, I was just trying to make them usable at all. But also, they're invisible apparently? I dont know why exactly, since I copied what I believed to be the graphics files in from a sample character and another mod (which I was using for reference of how you make characters)

If this was the template you were using:

It should work just fine ingame, assuming the images are properly set in your mod. You will need the DST version though:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=361202313

Inside modmain.lua:

Spoiler

Assets = {
    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/saveslot_portraits/esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/saveslot_portraits/esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/esctemplate_silho.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/esctemplate_silho.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/map_icons/esctemplate.tex" ),
	Asset( "ATLAS", "images/map_icons/esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/avatar_esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/avatar_esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/avatar_ghost_esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/avatar_ghost_esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/self_inspect_esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/self_inspect_esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/names_esctemplate.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/names_esctemplate.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/esctemplate_none.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/esctemplate_none.xml" ),

}

If after that you are still having problems with the mod, upload the mod in a .zip in this thread or look at some other character's code, like Abigail by Arcade/Silhh.

for the matt's tools thing: Alright, its working now... For some reason, it wouldnt let me download it before?

The main issue I was having was with .tex files, the invisibility thing wasnt actually anything I was worried about or cared about.

Anyways im not sure what the character template I got was, but I know that it was missing some code it needed. Notably it didnt have any of the 'Atlas' code threads, but I put those in after cross-referencing with a mod character.

Precisely which file actually determines the in-game appearance of the character? I assumed it was avatar but I mean, I dont really know.

And finally, after I convert the .tex file, what do I do with it then? is it lyke, just an image then that I edit with paint or whatever, or is it something else and I have to edit some other way, or what? 

...Oh, and what is the build renamer for? I remember seeing that mentioned before.

Edited by Len.Kagamine
additional queries.