In single-player don't starve, beefalo extinction was a mechanic that made sense, If the player was foolish enough to hunt beefalo to extinction, they would have to put up with not having any more beefalo.

In multi-player, I don't think it makes as much sense, The actions of one incompetent hunter can punish every player on the server by removing a useful resource forever. Sure, you could spawn in beefalo, but cheating is for wankers.

So I propose this: Stray beefalo!

Perhaps when beefalo are completely extinct, you'll have a chance to find a stray beefalo instead of a koalefant at the end of a trail. This way you'll always be able to recover from a potential extinction.

10 minutes ago, Karmattack said:

People actually hunt beefalo to extinction? o.o

What's the point of that, that gets rid of a free source of manure and an important Winter Hat ingredient. 

It's like an advanced form of griefing.

Oddly enough, people find it amusing to hinder other people's progress.

Either that or the hunter in question wasn't aware of the lack of beefalo.

1 minute ago, Weird Wanderer said:

It's like an advanced form of griefing.

Oddly enough people find it amusing to hinder other people's progress.

I understand how it would be griefing, I was more surprised that some people actually do that in single player. 

Something I think would be more in the Don't Starve tradition of twisted science and magic is that you should be able to at some level of magic be able to sacrifice some health and other items in order to create a random animal via Transmutation, with Beefalo being of a higher priority of appearing than less inherently useful ones like rabbits and birds. 

Archived