First Random Multiplayer Experiences

Greetings Travelers and Well Met! This is my first time posting of these forums so hopefully I didn't break some type of secret rule I'm not aware of and if so I must apologies.

Just some information before starting the stories. I have played Don't Starve for a very long time and even completing Adventure mode and then getting Don't starve together and only played it with friends for a bit but that is not what I mean by first multiplayer experiences. This is the first time I have finally (After a few years of Don't starve together really...) So about 3 days ago I finally decided to go onto random peoples servers and survive with them and it has supplied with new and interesting challenges. 

Please note: All of the servers that I am joining is PVE and just around the usual 1-2/6 servers since in any game I am personally not fond of large servers for multiple reasons.

No names will be released in this to keep away any possible conflict

Stage 1: (Joining servers)

So, a few days ago I recently decided to go onto random multiplayer servers because I was bored with most of the games that I have been playing recently and I remembered that I actually never did random servers on DST yet so I went. I don't remember any of the names of the servers that I join on so I must apologies though. The first server I joined I said, "Greetings, Travel", as I say that all the time on any server I join. After I spoke I was immediately kicked from the server and I simply shrugged knowing that people do that in the DST servers since some people have no idea how to lock / password their server. I join another server, this time I dedicated server I believe with a low population and as I joined I started my usual thing of collecting everything and then I noticed a major issue, There were NO flint and NO saplings (Apparently Klai changed how saplings work on some worlds turning them into trees and I didn't entirely know that at the time. : |) and so I asked, "Would someone be able to supply me with some flint possibly?" I asked and was responded with to simply find it and so I went to the usual rock biomes which had nothing sadly and with night propping up I didn't have much else to do (Other than the cheese strategy of just logging off and back on which I don't like doing) but right before it turned night I managed to enter a cave and was more or less stuck there for a bit and the I said to the server, "Do any of you know where flint might be in the world as I have tried looking for it but couldn't so now I'm stuck in this cave." And then I was then banned. I then sighed and went onto the next server.

(No flint was in the start of the cave as well and with no torch or light I was just stuck at the entrance)

Stage 2: (Save the newbies!) 

When I finally found a server that didn't ban me immediately or had some silly thing that had no flint in the world I found this server but it appears I forgot to check what season we were in as it was already night AND it was winter so I loss my heat points that I could have used time to collect stuff with and so my heat points are just stuck at ten which is difficult to work without getting hurt. I said my usual stuff to them and these people seemed nice saying they would show me where the base was but they were having a lot of trouble. About half way through the night one of the 2 other people had died and so my sanity started to suffer as having the ghost sanity debuff as Webber is quite awful due to the low amount of sanity. Day came up and I knew that the heat aura that the spawn generated died and so I had to work quickly with my 10 heat points finding some sticks and grass and then burn a safe tree to burn or an item if need be. I took some damage in the process but managed to succeed and the person ended up finding a lone Webber hovering over a burning piece of CUT grass (I know not to burn the actual grass turd. : ) and praised me for my strategy and so I followed him while setting some trees of fire to keep surviving and eventually making it to the camp. I look through their stuff and ask, "Do you guys have stone or a thermal stone I can use?" And they BOTH respond with, "What is that?" ... At that moment I was slightly surprised they survived for as long as they have as but they both did have cold resistance clothing so that might explain a little. So then I said to the two after explaining how useful the thermal stone is where the rock biome is and that I'll get them all thermal stones because I felt like pushing my self even with 0 insulation and they respond with, "Its way over to the west but it fairly far.", I grined and responded saying, "I can take care of it. Once I finish getting the rocks I'll res the guy that died." And so I took some wood, a bit of grass in their chest, made a pickaxe and a bag using the crafting table they had and working on the clock as the ghost was still draining the sanity. After burning some more trees I finally mined quite a few rocks, enough to supply me with my own spiderden fire pit and enough for about 3 thermal stones and maybe a little bit more after. I then make my way back to the camp, make myself a thermal stone and then setting up a spider den and pit a little ways from the player camp and started grinding for some spider glands which I luckly got pretty quickly from the tier 1 nest and created and ressed the player that had died but now my health was about 20. About 4 minutes after resing the other person the other guy of course, died. I sighed and kept farming from my tier 1 nest (Never got any silk though to upgrade it sadly) but eventually getting another few glands to heal my self and eventually resing the other guy. Now I know that both of them are probably in a fairly bad position and I tell them both not to die but of course they manage to do so. A few moments later a hound attack comes around and I knew I was in NO position to fight hounds as I was on 9HP at the time and unarmored but I checked the days I've been on the server and knew that I was most likely excluded from the hound attack due to how recent I have been in the world. One of the players did have armor but the other didn't and ended up dying and I attempted to aid them as best as I could but I wouldn't be too effective since if I did so I would take a risk and I wasn't able to use the spiders too well due to my awful rng only providing monster meat and glands but eventually the hound attack was defeated by the armored player. I started to go and heal myself and decided that I should go to the other spider camps for more efficient spider farming but I would be further away from the camp. I start there and start some spider brawls dropping quite a few glands giving me a good amount of health and monster meat and so I create the heart and told one of the guys to come to me as I had picked up his thermal stone as I did this and it was orange currently. I res him and he runs off before I give him his thermal stone and even said I'll give him his thermal stone. A few moments he shouts that his freezing and dies even though he passed by tons of twigs and grass which he could have used to burn something. A few moments later the other guy that was alive said, "My sanity is low!", and so I said, "Alright, I'll see if I can get you something.", Moments later he dies to a terrorbeak and I just sigh and said my fairwells and leaving the server as they obviously had low skill levels.

Stage 3: (Rng is terrible)

So after all that I and passing through a few servers, one testing me just to see if I can 'survive the night during winter' and I did and then got bored and left. A bit more hunting and getting banned from servers and slowly learning server etiquette (Since I didn't know not to ask where the base was right before joining and so on since now I just be on the server for the first few days just gathering and then bringing it up.) I joined a few more servers, A few servers I joined it was winter but of course as I joined it was night too and it always seems any server I join during winter is ALWAYS night to ruin my heat points of course. I eventually joined this server that was on day one and the person obviously just started. This person knew what he was doing as we talked for a bit and got along quite well and exploring the entire map together and eventually setting up camp on about day 3. Person told me to get some grass and savvanah turf and all that basic stuff to make farms and so I go and do that. On my way I found chester (He will play an IMPORTANT role later) and so I smiled having a double backpack making me an even better choice to get the stuff while my friend went and set up a bunch of stuff. A bit later while I was gathering something a new person joined and my kind friend showed him where our base was although this person seemed to not be too skilled at the game. I finally finished collecting having about 100 cut grass, a bunch of grass tuffs, quite a few saplings and the savvanah turfs and everything and started to head back and a few moments later (Keep in mind this is day 5 right now) I heard someone shout that a VARG is attacking! How did a Varg even spawn? We have no idea. I come back with all my goodies and try to work up a mini spider army and attempt to fight the varg and fail of course. That caused me to fall back heavily as I took a few good hits and my sanity had taken a punch and on low health and so I wasn't able to participate for the rest of the battle taking refuge outside of our camp.. The person had the ghost companion and is trying to simply defeat him and apparently was doing a fine job doing so until a moment later apparently the other guy had aggrooed the boss and then lured the boss to the friends companion killing it and then a few moments later the person that did died and eventually left. I said, "Enough is enough, I'm going to kill the boss myself" As I had been farming spiders for health and created a log suit. I restored a fair amount of HP, gather an army, some with warriors (about 2) and ran towards the varg. My attack on the varg failed and every single spider died and so I ran. Now keep in mind I was still carrying all the goodies with, All the grass, saplings and more and with all spiders dead I knew I couldn't take on the varg and X amount of hounds so I fell back but chester had sacrificed himself at some place but his sacrifice was probably very terrible since he had a lot of the goodies. A few days later the person got her ghost back and finished off the varg but because we had lost chester and everything and winter was coming up fairly soon our run was amount ruined. Chester had all the turfs, cut grass and so on and so I spend a little bit trying to find chester's death spot but the positions I thought he died were empty and so our morale had dropped considerably. I then was unsure what more there was to do since I had almost every recourse in that chester and simply getting new grass would be VERY HARD since in this world grass only spawned in savvanah. We both sighed at the end of the world since continuing would only be for none. But right before we ended it I looked up the Varg since both of us never saw it spawn naturally and that early in the game it had a FIVE% chance to spawn and I asked my friend if she was tracking and declined so the person that must of summened the Varg was the new guy. That new guy completely ruined us indirectly, that clever son of a gun! (I have a feeling he didn't mean to though. xD)

Stage 4: (Never change your character)

After a switching through a few servers I finally stopped on another server but after playing Webber for quite awhile I decided to play Maxwell as I'm fairly familiar with him since I'm fairly good at working with low HP (Unless rng hates me and instantly kills me with lightning at 2hp during autumn since I decided to soak a lot of value at one point but it cost a fair amount of hp but I knew I could easily restore it during autumn so I didn't feel too pressured.) I enter the world saying my usual greetings and apparently right as I clicked the button to join the person I asked if there is anything I should know before starting said "Not doing too well, low on food." At that moment I face palmed since if I had chose Webber I could probably just get this person a ton of food because it was still autumn but I just shrugged at what I thought was minor misfortune and continued thinking I can easily restore the state of things. I said to the person, "Where are you? I believe I can help you quite a bit." The person gave me very strange direction which I followed and after 3 days of being misdirected I finally found the base. Good news is that I explored my map a bit more. When I arrived at the person's base I discovered that the base was in a rather... Okay position, person could have went to a much better position that has more resources that can't be moved. I decided to go mine for some rocks and a bit later during the same day I walked towards the savvanah and looked around seeing that the rabbit holes where empty, I asked why the person wasn't trapping and responded that she needed bait. I sighed and decided to make a few traps but I only had enough materials for 3 traps. At this point I decided to start eating monster meat that I had collected from a spider den since sanity is unlimited for me (more or less) and I'm not too worried about my health since its autumn. A few moments later the person states that she is going to starve very soon and then I said I'll go and see if the traps activated but of course 0 traps actually caught anything but I then ended up giving her the 2 berries I hand and a few seeds since I wasn't too worried about my hunger at the moment but was starting to get slightly concerned. Day after day the traps turned up negative and I was putting more traps down on the holes and still, nothing until about the 4th day of trapping where we caught 1 rabbit. I have never had such bad rabbit rng before... Because of the terrible rabbit RNG and the positioning of the base hand ZERO berries near it I decided to simply resort to monster meat only since I played as webber and I know monster meat is plentiful and as Maxwell I'm only sacrificing my HP so I wasn't too worried but the person was complaining that I was hoarding all the food even though I told him that I was simply eating monster meat and if you eat the monster meat you will quickly go insane. The person ended up believing me and we continued on as I farmed more and more spiders for food and healing for myself since my position was quickly going south. But I still wanted to save the novice and hopefully get him to winter where we would be guaranteed to die but I probably could still survive the winter since I had a fair amount of tricks. A bit later the person said he was starving and couldn't find any food. I said to eat the monster meat and the person declined and died. After sighing at the death of my ally I went and killed a few more spiders and then reviving the fallen hero. Advance two days later the person had said her sanity was low and so I went and grabbed 4 green mushrooms because I knew it will probably rain soon as it had yet to rain in autumn and I gave it to her and said to cook them... Moments later she died to a shadow and I just shook my head since my position was getting worse and worse just to save the host and with very low health remaining and getting fairly close to winter I just said, "Its probably best for you to reset the world, I'm going to go for now. It was good playing with you." I then promptly dropped all my items on the ground and left. At the end of the run I knew if I had just chosen Webber we would be in an entirely different situation as I could have just made a bird cage and just had tons of food and a fair amount of silk and such. : (

Edit: I should mention I didn't have enough materials to create a bird cage during the run because rng hates giving me silk.

Stage 5: (Does Pro = Novice, or just simple coincidence?)

Please note this this is in the matter of just a few days. (Estimated 3 days and still increasing). I was getting fairly use to random multiplayer coop mode in don't starve now purposely joining servers in the middle of winter just for the extra challenge because I'm bored and decided to just do stuff. I figured out by now to not ask to have access to the base immediately as it will usually cause you to get banned or kicked from the server and learning more and more on how to get people to survive. So after passing through some random unnamed servers and deeming them uninteresting I came across a server by the name of "Pros only" I looked right at that server for a few moments, checked what people were there and the day as a normal thing I did now and ensuring it had no mods. I felt man enough as I have survived the worst of servers, and so after a few moments of deciding I finally joined the "Pros only" server and said my usual greetings and was greeted by the three players. I entered the world as Webber and finding that the three players had setup their camp RIGHT next to spawn so that made things slightly easier on me. I asked what was going on and a few moments later all three of the "Pro" players died, one to a tentacle, one to insanity, and another to hunger. I just nodded, said "Welp." and left the server. Not sure if that was just a coincidence but I will never know.

Concluding Sentence

Well, that is that as I have been quite busy in the few days I have been playing random multiplayer coop. I manage to not die yet on ANY of the server and hopefully I will keep it that way. (Only way I have died though is to shenanigans but I don't entirely count that unless its under natural terms.) Those are only a few of the first stories that I have created after playing for a bit. I would supply more stories but a lot of the other stories are me saying, "Do you guys need help?" and then getting banned even though I was perfectly allowed to simply talk on the server beforehand as they knew I was there. If you all enjoy reading these stories let me know and I might make more in the future. When I finally die I WILL make a  story on that one as I rarely simply roll over and die in any scenario as I will milk every little resource and card I have left before I finally die as in multiplayer I more or less go by the 1 life rule where if I die then I will switch servers because of the fact that I have never died so far I'm just doing that for when I do actually die on a server (or if)

Let me know if any of you see any mistakes in my sentences or something doesn't add up and I will try to clarify or fix it.

If you guys enjoy an old man rambling about his past, let me know as that can encourage me to create more stories for all of you! For now, I shall see you all... Next time.

((Can't create a signature so this is taking the place of my signature more or less...))

Feel free to message me if anyone is interested in playing Don't Starve Together with me!

You can improve your paragraphs in the future by avoiding run-off sentences and having commas. I'ts kinda overwhelming trying to read these giant paragraphs, but nevertheless interesting experiences. People really ought to start putting passwords/making their servers "Friends Only".

Archived