Uprising
A fictional Don't Starve story.

I looked through the charred remnants that was once my base.

"We gotta do something about these guys" chimed in my trusty partner Wolfgang. 
We were playing on a highly populated endless PvP server, and Wolfgang was referring to the Rhodes, the steam group that has raided us. 

The two of us had been playing for about 6 days now, and it was later summer. We picked it because it had a mod that added the Shipwrecked characters, though neither of us used them (I was playing as Wigfrid). This particular PvP server had a unique power situation. There were two major steam groups on the server, the Silvers and the Rhodes. They were constantly struggling for PvP dominance over each other, but neither could get the upper hand. To give some perspective, this server was on day 78, and both groups still had some of their members who had joined as early as day 5. 

Unfortunately, being and constant war drained a lot of resources, resources both groups didn't have, which meant the small guys like us got raided for stuff. 
This was the first time we had been raided, but we were not the first to be looted. Chat had at least 1 message per day about someone who had been looted. Luckily, we had been off gathering berries and mining rocks while they had come, otherwise we would have been easily dispatched by the heavily armed Rhodes. 

I asked Wolfgang what he meant by "do something". 

He responded dryly "maybe we could... Try an aggressive takeover or something?". 
The strongman didn't even seem sure of his idea, but I briefly considered it. I sadly knew that fighting against two powerful steam groups was suicide. I also knew if we didn't fight back this would happen again and again. Then I got an idea. I quickly explained to Wolfgang "if we gather all the other people from small bases, we can start a revolt". This was an insane and stupid plan, but I had a strange feeling we should go for it. Wolfgang agreed, and we hammered the burnt structures and built a small campfire to last through the night. 

I figured we should go the desert, which had at least two bases the last time we checked. As day came, we walked to the desert  with the few supplies we still had. Our combined supplies contained some berries, rocks, flint, grass and twigs, and basic tools. We were lucky that we had researched the recipe for the spear and the log suit before our base got torched. We arrived at a desert base. I remembered this place, we had traded with the Maxwell who lived here. We looked around, and discovered an empty chest beside a science machine. The base must have been abandoned a while ago, and we decided to take it over until the Maxwell came back. Unspoken was the thought that we both had: that Maxwell had been forced to leave.

We lit the fire pit and spent the night eating carrots. In the morning I told Wolfgang to go get supplies to make a crock pot while I headed off to the second base in the desert. I made sure to avoid the hound mounds, because early on we had learned of a Silver base there. It was a smaller base, mostly used to farm eggs, and had two or three people to my knowledge. Soon, I arrived at the desert base and was greeted by a suspicious Warly and two Wilson's. I explained my plot to fight back against the two dominant factions, and waited for their reactions. The Wilson's eagerly agreed, as they had been raided more than once by both groups.

Strangely, Warly also agreed. I had a strange feeling Warly was agreeing for his own reasons, and not to help me, but I accepted him anyways. I had Wolfgang come over to Warly's base and I explained my plan. We would attack the local Silver base, the one near the hound mounds. I told everyone to ready their spears and craft extra log suits. I used some of the charcoal we had gathered from our ruined base to craft boomerangs. Without pigskins, I wasn't too comfortable attacking a base filled with armed Silver's, but I had come too far to back out now. 

We marched outside of the base and I talked about our battle plan. We had the numbers advantage, we had weaponry, we had armour. 
What could go wrong?

Archived