Don't Starve Together leaving Early Access!

13 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I've seen Maxwell and how he has been changed. If you wish to not know of the changes, please do not click this:

Hide contents

Maxwell's Codex Umbra now becomes a crafting station for Nightmare helpers, which must be placed on the ground for usage, which include each of the following; The crafting recipe involves siphoning your sanity, 2 fuel and the tool needed for said helper.

Shovel Helper

Logger Helper

Fighter Help (Unique too! They can kite like pigs and regain 15 hp every 2 seconds.) 

Miner helper

Maxwell's sanity gain is now that of a Tam o' Shanter. (6.7/min)

Maxwell no longer starts with a purple gem, Dark Sword, or Armor. And still retains his Book and 4 nightmare fuel on spawn.

Maxwell can STILL read Wickerbottom's books.

The Codex Umbra is Craftable, 2 fuel, 2 papyrus and 50 health. 

Maxwell's max health is still 75hp.

All of these mechanics are subject to change before the official release soon.

Yeah, I dug through some game files. Seems like Maxwell's role has been change from the early-game powerful to some sort of proper summoner.

Overall though it seems like he got nerfed, but I think that's fair considering that he would probably be ridiculous in his single player form, starting with the most powerful sword and armor in the game...

6 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I've seen Maxwell and how he has been changed. If you wish to not know of the changes, please do not click this:

Reveal hidden contents

Maxwell's Codex Umbra now becomes a crafting station for Nightmare helpers, which must be placed on the ground for usage, which include each of the following; The crafting recipe involves siphoning your sanity, 2 fuel and the tool needed for said helper.

Shovel Helper

Logger Helper

Fighter Help (Unique too! They can kite like pigs and regain 15 hp every 2 seconds.) 

Miner helper

Maxwell's sanity gain is now that of a Tam o' Shanter. (6.7/min)

Maxwell no longer starts with a purple gem, Dark Sword, or Armor. And still retains his Book and 4 nightmare fuel on spawn.

Maxwell can STILL read Wickerbottom's books.

The Codex Umbra is Craftable, 2 fuel, 2 papyrus and 50 health. 

Maxwell's max health is still 75hp.

All of these mechanics are subject to change before the official release soon.

Spoiler

So hiss sanity boost was reduced to 1/3, his shadows got "divided" in different roles and require tools (what does the Fighter shadow needs? Spears or Dark Swords?) and he lost his starting sword/armor? I'm sure he can be very effective in the hands of a pro but that 75 health is awful, in DST you can't stack armor + helmet so Maxwell is at severe disavantage.

Those changes are way too extreme IMO, he sounds 20x harder to use now.

4 minutes ago, Serph said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So hiss sanity boost was reduced to 1/3, his shadows got "divided" in different roles and require tools (what does the Fighter shadow needs? Spears or Dark Swords?) and he lost his starting sword/armor? I'm sure he can be very effective in the hands of a pro but that 75 health is awful, in DST you can't stack armor + helmet so Maxwell is at severe disavantage.

Hard to judge right now since he's not finished and anything can change, but yeah it does seem like that. They basically split up his shadow puppets into their own roles as well as nerfing the character itself.

To be fair, it makes sense for him to not be OP anymore. In the original game Maxwell was the reward for beating the game's "story" mode, but since everyone's unlocked at the start, balance must be accounted for in multiplayer.

3 minutes ago, Serph said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Edited my post, exact recipes are there now. @Serph

24 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Hard to judge right now since he's not finished and anything can change, but yeah it does seem like that. They basically split up his shadow puppets into their own roles as well as nerfing the character itself.

To be fair, it makes sense for him to not be OP anymore. In the original game Maxwell was the reward for beating the game's "story" mode, but since everyone's unlocked at the start, balance must be accounted for in multiplayer.

I never saw Maxwell as OP. His puppets die fast against stronger enemies and the chop/mine help isn't that game changing. The starting dark sword/armor are good but aren't permanent like his 75 hp. The only really big thing he has is his insane (ha) 20 san per minute but that's intentional because it makes much harder for him to farm nightmare for the Codex, so you have to actually put effort getting insane with him, it's a very interesting gameplay change.

Either way it's too soon to tell how it's going to be in DST. You can have other players help you with resources and you can't give attack orders to followers, so i don't know if his puppets will be worth the lower hp.

6 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Yeah, I dug through some game files. Seems like Maxwell's role has been change from the early-game powerful to some sort of proper summoner.

Overall though it seems like he got nerfed, but I think that's fair considering that he would probably be ridiculous in his single player form, starting with the most powerful sword and armor in the game...

Thing is he kinda needs them to survive. 75 HP isnt a joke.

6 hours ago, Serph said:
  Hide contents

Same.

It sounds so annoying to even play him now.

5 hours ago, Serph said:

I never saw Maxwell as OP. His puppets die fast against stronger enemies and the chop/mine help isn't that game changing. The starting dark sword/armor are good but aren't permanent like his 75 hp. The only really big thing he has is his insane (ha) 20 san per minute but that's intentional because it makes much harder for him to farm nightmare for the Codex, so you have to actually put effort getting insane with him, it's a very interesting gameplay change.

Either way it's too soon to tell how it's going to be in DST. You can have other players help you with resources and you can't give attack orders to followers, so i don't know if his puppets will be worth the lower hp.

Exactly.

Not to mention, the insane sanity gain makes you forget what sanity even is, thus making you only care about hunger and HP, which you really need to have an eye out for.

• Developer
3 hours ago, VRocker said:

Hi all,

Will the Through the Ages expansion only be for the multiplayer portion of Don't Starve?
Is there more info of Through the ages? Sounds fun! :)

More info regarding TtA will be given as its development go, right now what we've seen is basically all we have, not much is confirmed, but we do know it focuses on changing your game's world as the seasons and years pass, so it'll probably be focusing on end-game content.

So far, Through the Ages is being developed only with Don't Starve Together in mind. Itmight take a reeeaally long time before they start making a singleplayer port, if they ever make one, that is.

Hmmm considering that i haven't followed DST development that much it's still good to see that you guys feel like it's ready to get out of EA what is always a good sign considering the state of a lot of Early Acces titles (aka Development Limbo or just plain abboned).

As for the Maxwell changes well i got a couple of Questions for @SuperPsiPower since he seems to have the most insight on the matter.

1: Are Maxwells shadow puppets still limited to 2,5 days or are they now infinite/stay until killed?

2: Do they still take up a % of his max sanity? (you only mentioned siphoning sanity into the creation it wasn't really clear if that still limits his sanity total).

3: Can anyone use the Codex to create Puppets or only Maxwell? (I suppose the later).

4: Does the Codex have infinite uses? (mostly because there is now a crafting recipe so I wonder if you can only make X Number of Puppets per Codex)

Cause here is the thing it's probably a lot easier for Maxwell to get acces to Nightmarefuel in DST compared to regular DS since it's not him who needs to go Insane and with someone like say Woodie who can go insane in not even a day you can get a lot more fuel in the long run compared to when you play alone as him.

Personally i think the only things that i find a but silly is that he no longer got the Purple Gem. Sure it gave him quicker acces to the Shadow Manipulator but that was Maxwells stick he was supposed to rush these semi lategame Items to ensure his long term survival so basicly removing the one item that helped him achieve this goal quickly is imho a bit wierd.

As for people saying he needs an HP buff well again remember DST is a game with Multiplayer in mind so Maxwells role is now a Summoner that means you rather stay back and use Items like the Blowdart or the Staffs to help the frontline fighters (someone like Wigfrid or Wollfy and obviously his Fighterpuppets) take on the enemys.

I feel like this change puts a lot more emphasis on earlygame Teamwork since Maxwell can't easily rely on his starting kit to get through the early houndwaves and instead has to employ the help of actual players and his Shadowpuppets to deal with those threats.

As for the more specialiced Puppets well i guess this is mostly so you don't just spam a lot of puppets with the aformentioned Nightmarefuel you can get from your Partners and keep them up 24/7.

All in all i feel like Maxwell seems fine as it is allthough again i can't tell as much right now since we had no way to play as him yet and thus we can't judge his power in DST as of right now.

As a Maxwell player, I really love these changes. Maxwell was always a wet piece of paper health wise, and where he might not have his armor to keep him alive early game, he does have a team to take the hits for him. Maxwell always wanted a life of being dapper and fights are not dapper. He has puppets for that after all. I just hope the workers have a work queue and work faster, especially in the type of environment dst hands you.

1 hour ago, Mr.P said:

As for the Maxwell changes well i got a couple of Questions for @SuperPsiPower since he seems to have the most insight on the matter.

1: Are Maxwells shadow puppets still limited to 2,5 days or are they now infinite/stay until killed?

2: Do they still take up a % of his max sanity? (you only mentioned siphoning sanity into the creation it wasn't really clear if that still limits his sanity total).

3: Can anyone use the Codex to create Puppets or only Maxwell? (I suppose the later).

4: Does the Codex have infinite uses? (mostly because there is now a crafting recipe so I wonder if you can only make X Number of Puppets per Codex)

As for these questions I can answer them:

• Maxwell's puppets stay alive until killed, all the other shadows have 1hp, however. (Quick Note: Helpers do stuff without being prompted to. Such as; If I created a Shadow Logger, they will chop any tree on sight within the area of the player, The fighters being the only exception). The fragmentation seems to have been buffed, it's possible to have 4 Shadow loggers helping you.
  • Yes, when I said "siphon" I meant that a portion of his sanity will be taken, and will be capped. Similar to how the Codex Umbra worked in Single-player.
  • Only Maxwell may access the crafting tab and book.
  • The Codex has infinite uses, but can be easily taken or destroyed by others. You make as much shadows from a book granted that you have the resources, and haven't reached the capped amount of Shadows.

6 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

As for these questions I can answer them:

• Maxwell's puppets stay alive until killed, all the other shadows have 1hp, however. (Quick Note: Helpers do stuff without being prompted to. Such as; If I created a Shadow Logger, they will chop any tree on sight within the area of the player, The fighters being the only exception). The fragmentation seems to have been buffed, it's possible to have 4 Shadow loggers helping you.
  • Yes, when I said "siphon" I meant that a portion of his sanity will be taken, and will be capped. Similar to how the Codex Umbra worked in Single-player.
  • Only Maxwell may access the crafting tab and book.
  • The Codex has infinite uses, but can be easily taken or destroyed by others. You make as much shadows from a book granted that you have the resources, and haven't reached the capped amount of Shadows.

Now this sounds pretty awesome in my eyes.

Although i got 3 more Questions if you don't mind

1. Can you dissmiss a Shadowpuppet yourself? like say you can attack it to instantly make it go away and recover you'r max sanity this way or do i have to wait till something kills them?

2. Do the Workerpuppets drop their respective tools? Like say a Shadow Logger gets killed does he just puff up in smoke and leave nothing behind or will he at least drop his axe?

3. Do you still got a bit of Control over Workerpuppets? Cause here is the thing if Shadow Loggers just go after every Tree in sight this means they will also chop down Pinetrees and BIrchnut Trees that aren't fully matured yet and won't drop all of their Pinecones or Birchnuts so you can easily replant them. It's just a small thing but i feel like it's important to know if Shadowworkers are just mindless and go after everything or if you have at least enought control to keep them from chopping Trees that are not in their prime yet.

Thanks again for taking your time to answer

Still though i have to say that these changes sound a lot more Interesting then i though specialy the fact that Shadowpuppets now stay forever what means you can create a decend little fightingforce or workforce depending on the situations. Sure now Puppets aren't Jack of all trades anymore but i feel like having dedicated roles that the puppets fullfil as well as the well as the Infinite duration of puppets adds a new layer of strategie to playing Maxwell. So I gotta say i'm exited and i know exactly who i will pick once DST will fully launch.

Dunno about the number on the thorn maybe it's just overthinking , but well who know ?! Maxwell update sound cool he will be useful to the surviving team (I half expected him to keep his old perks (solo operative)) and I can finally play something else than Wigfrid  (Maxwell is my other favorite in DS / My style of palying) . Also are there going to be Maxwell special skins like survival and elegant Maxwell skins ?

I know it's too early for it , but I just have to ask ! Are there going to be additional characters for TtA (multiplayer special bonuses) ?!

Never mind the axe helpers chopping immature trees, I'm worried about automatic shovel helpers.  Do they dig everything in sight?  Mushrooms?  Rabbits?  Moles?  The grass tufts you just finished planting and fertilizing?  Withered berry bushes?

1 minute ago, TemporaryMan said:

Never mind the axe helpers chopping immature trees, I'm worried about automatic shovel helpers.  Do they dig everything in sight?  Mushrooms?  Rabbits?  Moles?  The grass tufts you just finished planting and fertilizing?  Withered berry bushes?

Good vibes only here!

Pls don't talk about those things it makes me scared of future Maxwell mains.

2 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

From what I have tested, they only dig up tree stumps and undug graves.

16 minutes ago, Celophone said:

Maxwell doesn't need a Guest of Honor skin though.  He's already wearing a fancy suit ;p

Nice point ! But you can away's be more fancy !

12 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

He could probably wear something like that coat used for his NPC in adventure mode.

That's a really nice idea I have away's liked the NPC version more than the character one (not only because that one is taller :D )

Archived