Can you use a sewing kit on a shark tooth crown?

6 minutes ago, Soto8969 said:

you can always do what i call: "SCIENCE IN DON'T STARVE!"

Just spawn one in a "SCIENCE WORLD" then use "SCIENCE"(*cough* Console *cough*) to XPERIMENT(Grammar intended).

You can always do something I call: "doing something nice for someone cause they probably don't own the game or are too busy to check themselves" 

Just next time use less caps cause that seems a bit rude.

1 hour ago, GiddyGuy said:

You can always do something I call: "doing something nice for someone cause they probably don't own the game or are too busy to check themselves" 

Just next time use less caps cause that seems a bit rude.

Yes thank you I am on mobile and are supposed to be studying

Again

Thanks for the response anyway

5 hours ago, Soto8969 said:

We are only using caps when we say the word SCIENCE or something that is combined with SCIENCE like "SCIENCE WORLD" because SCIENCE  is the most important thing in our world. Everyone praise SCIENCE!

Does this mean I should speak in only caps since i am a SCIENTIST? 

As far as I know yes it can be sewn. The how and why like most things in Don't Starve has no basis on real world logic. 

2 hours ago, LadyD said:

Does this mean I should speak in only caps since i am a SCIENTIST? 

As far as I know yes it can be sewn. The how and why like most things in Don't Starve has no basis on real world logic. 

You should only speak in caps when you say the word SCIENCE.

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Nick Young 30032016233403.jpg

Well, at least i can still sew a vest made out of blubber, a termal stone, a belt made out of a beast that stops my hunger, oh and a hat made out of the reproductive system skin of a tentacle and feathers!

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Its bugged. Go to land and then back to sea. Should work then.

I did. After the eruption, i went to my base and then made a journey to the octopus to get that stupid key. Still no sanity boost.

Is it just me, or are sea hounds very hard to get rid of? They killed my ballphins, the clockworks don't do a thing. I literally had them all around me waiting for a dragoon egg to hit them.

1 minute ago, Prakhar said:

Uh..the shark tooth crown does not raise sanity for me....even in the ocean.

Ditto had that happen as well. What makes me rather angry cause i basicly wasted 5 Teeth on a useless item when i could have used them on more Tooth Traps.

Btw is it just me or are Hounds a lot more stingy with the Toothdrops? Normally i get at least 1 or 2 during the first 3 Attacks but since my last few games all i get is Meat Meat and more Meat from them.

Just now, Prakhar said:

I did. After the eruption, i went to my base and then made a journey to the octopus to get that stupid key. Still no sanity boost.

Is it just me, or are sea hounds very hard to get rid of? They killed my ballphins, the clockworks don't do a thing. I literally had them all around me waiting for a dragoon egg to hit them.

try unequipping and re-equiping the crown then?

Just now, Mr.P said:
Just now, Mr.P said:

Ditto had that happen as well. What makes me rather angry cause i basicly wasted 5 Teeth on a useless item when i could have used them on more Tooth Traps.

Btw is it just me or are Hounds a lot more stingy with the Toothdrops? Normally i get at least 1 or 2 during the first 3 Attacks but since my last few games all i get is Meat Meat and more Meat from them.

It is annoying, the only reason i make it is so raise my sanity, but no, it is still stuck at 60 from the twingail commotion. AND i even lost the second abigail.

I haven't played a new save, so i don't know. BUT what i do know, is that they are very stingy with teeth drops even know. Until i kill a monkey. I get 10-20 teeth from ONE monkey.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

try unequipping and re-equiping the crown then?

Been there, done that.

5 hours ago, Mr.P said:

I know what you mean; I think some of the problem stems from Sea Hounds having 12.5% like normal Hounds, while Red Hounds give you 1 guaranteed Hound's Tooth, and Blue Hounds give 2 guaranteed. 

• Because of Sea Hounds there will be less chance of Blue/Red Hounds if you're caught at sea when they attack
  • After the first in-game year in Reign of Giants, there will start to be Red Hounds and Blue Hounds in Autumn and Spring as well
  • No Hound Mounds in Shipwrecked

I see 4 possible solutions to this:

1. Don't rely on Tooth Traps in Shipwrecked, use the small number of teeth for Sewing Kits and Shark Tooth Crown instead
  2. Use the Seaworthy to travel to Reign of Giants to collect teeth
  3. Use the 'chumming' technique by dropping meat into the sea to spawn Sea Hounds to farm teeth
  4. (Unlikely) They increase the drop rate of teeth from Sea Hounds to something more like 25% or 33% to make up for the fact that there is no special Sea Hound that guarantees the drop. I feel that this would be fair since they are generally considered more difficult than normal Hound waves by many players

5 hours ago, Daggaroth said:

I know what you mean; I think some of the problem stems from Sea Hounds having 12.5% like normal Hounds, while Red Hounds give you 1 guaranteed Hound's Tooth, and Blue Hounds give 2 guaranteed. 

• Because of Sea Hounds there will be less chance of Blue/Red Hounds if you're caught at sea when they attack
  • After the first in-game year in Reign of Giants, there will start to be Red Hounds and Blue Hounds in Autumn and Spring as well
  • No Hound Mounds in Shipwrecked

I see 4 possible solutions to this:

1. Don't rely on Tooth Traps in Shipwrecked, use the small number of teeth for Sewing Kits and Shark Tooth Crown instead
  2. Use the Seaworthy to travel to Reign of Giants to collect teeth
  3. Use the 'chumming' technique by dropping meat into the sea to spawn Sea Hounds to farm teeth
  4. (Unlikely) They increase the drop rate of teeth from Sea Hounds to something more like 25% or 33% to make up for the fact that there is no special Sea Hound that guarantees the drop. I feel that this would be fair since they are generally considered more difficult than normal Hound waves by many players

My hypothesis is that there were more ways to kill hounds w/o tooth traps in rognotably; , lead them to beefalo, tentacles or pigs/bunnymen. But this is harder to do in Shipwrecked because flups are the least co-operative creatures that I've ever come across, wild boars are almost always on their own and water beefalo...

they're WATER beefalo. Not useful against terrestrial hounds at all, unless one walks over land for whatever reason. They can be used against sharks, but getting teeth from them is a tiresome and unrewarding process.

The other thing is the lack of Mactusk. In RoG, you could kill Mactusk up to 6 times in your first Winter. And why wouldn't you? You get 4 hound's teeth each time, enough blowdarts and Blue gems to satisfy anybody and the walking cane/Tam o' Shanter.  

So you could leave your first Winter in RoG with, most importantly, 24 hound's teeth. Realistically, after making a couple of sewing kits and taking into consideration that killing Mactusk as soon as he spawns every 2.5 days is massively impractical, you'll probably start Spring with about 16/17 hound's teeth. Which is a lot of tooth traps however you look at it, especially because you'll only be dealing with 4 or 5 hounds with each wave at this point in time.

But in Shipwrecked, that just doesn't happen. You'd be lucky to get 10 teeth in your first YEAR of a world, and it took me well over 100 days to get a stack. I'd blame that on stingy drop rates and prime apes, as well as inconsistent spawn rates of special hounds.

3 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

But in Shipwrecked, that just doesn't happen. You'd be lucky to get 10 teeth in your first YEAR of a world, and it took me well over 100 days to get a stack. I'd blame that on stingy drop rates and prime apes, as well as inconsistent spawn rates of special hounds.

Basically if you want tooth traps in Shipwrecked, you need to either visit RoG for a while, live a looong time in one world, or be some kind of crazy shark farmer by filling the ocean with meat ;) 

Just now, Daggaroth said:

Basically if you want tooth traps in Shipwrecked, you need to either visit RoG for a while, live a looong time in one world, or be some kind of crazy shark farmer by filling the ocean with meat ;) 

I'm not a fan of the whole Shipwrecked to RoG thing. I'd rather stick with one and stay there. Adds to the challenge, which is what this game is all about.

1 minute ago, DeputyDeath said:

I'm not a fan of the whole Shipwrecked to RoG thing. I'd rather stick with one and stay there. Adds to the challenge, which is what this game is all about.

I totally agree with you there (and not just because I've never used the Seaworthy out of fear it will somehow destroy all of my files ^_^; )

That's why I suggested increased the tooth drop rate from Sea Hounds slightly. It seemed like a fair and simple solution at the time, to make the recipes that require teeth not seem so 'mid-to-late game', but perhaps part of the challenge is simply living without those items. (I just hate it when items don't really see much use... compass)

38 minutes ago, Daggaroth said:

I totally agree with you there (and not just because I've never used the Seaworthy out of fear it will somehow destroy all of my files ^_^; )

That's why I suggested increased the tooth drop rate from Sea Hounds slightly. It seemed like a fair and simple solution at the time, to make the recipes that require teeth not seem so 'mid-to-late game', but perhaps part of the challenge is simply living without those items. (I just hate it when items don't really see much use... compass)

Also rainometer.

I agree. Drop rate needs a buff.

I just realised that I've bookmarked the early access forums and not the full release one. It feels sad to abandon all these posts. We had fun, but a captain shall go down with his (early access) ship(wrecked)!

Archived