TBH i haven't played him since the patch cause the SW casts starts to bore me to death but from the Update post he seems to be on the bottom of the Barrel in terms of usefullness (although Walani still occupies the spot at the very end of the barrel).

Buffing his Statgain was a neat idea however now that you have to basicly cook so many different Foods over 2 Days just makes it not as worthwhile. The first major problem is accesability for Ingredinces. Some of the Stuff you need for some recipes are just not easily available in SW like say Meat to make stuff like Honeyham, Meaty Stew and so on and so forth. On the other hand you got an overabundance of Seaweed and Fish yet only a handfull of recipes that really make use of them like Callifornia Rolls and Mussel whateveritscalled.

But really that's it basicly they slightly buffed his small upside aka the Increased statgain but also nerfed him by having to cook so many recipes you won't be able to easily make because you need to collect some rather out there fooditems. TBH at this point i'm just going to say f**k it and still just shove Meatballs, California Rolls and what not down his throat and not care about the diminished Statgain because i don't really need it.

4 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

From the patch notes I didnt get how he changed, so...what really changed?

Basicly they buffed his statgain from Crockpotfoods even more (33% from 20%) however now he remembers every recipe he's eaten for the last 2 days and will get diminished Statgains from those. And each time you eat that food again you reset the timer so basicly you are supposed to eat different types of food to keep that statgain on his foods.

I played him a little last night (RoG). The change isn't TOO awful. Just keep one alternative of each food type you wantif worried, or just make a lot of the same and stuff it down his throat.

I always keep some Beefy Stew for him ready (and not eat till he's near starving, which lasts long enough in his chef pack or fridge), alternating with meatballs. Can throw in bacon an eggs if you have access to a caged bird or a surplus from cutting trees/tailbirds. For healing, fishsticks are nice and easy with honey ham once you get settled in.

Mostly lived off the stew and meatballs with bacon eggs and honey ham in the fridge. My main problem is when you leave the game and come back, hard to remember what you last ate.

21 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

I still havent played as Warly after Sea the day!

From the patch notes I didnt get how he changed, so...what really changed?

His "pickyness" changed.

Before: The last thing Warly eats was "saved" on his mouth, if he eats 2 of the same thing in a row he gets a penalty. This resets everytime Warly eats something new, so in a sense, this problem was easily overcomed by alternating between multiple foods (or simlpy carryingg some seeds to eat between repeated dishes).

Now: Everything Warly eats stays "saved" for 2 days. So, you can alternate dishes as you want but if you eat the same thing before 2 days you get the penalty and the time resets. This is an actual big downside as it forces Warly to make different dishes and manage his time between then. 

Edit: His bonus from cooked dishes also went from 20% to 33%. (His hunger is 33% faster btw). Edit, welp, too slow someone already answered.

6 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Buffing his Statgain was a neat idea however now that you have to basicly cook so many different Foods over 2 Days just makes it not as worthwhile. The first major problem is accesability for Ingredinces. Some of the Stuff you need for some recipes are just not easily available in SW like say Meat to make stuff like Honeyham, Meaty Stew and so on and so forth. On the other hand you got an overabundance of Seaweed and Fish yet only a handfull of recipes that really make use of them like Callifornia Rolls and Mussel whateveritscalled

Maybe adding a bunch more of his special dishes would fix the problems with the ingredients...?

Just now, DwerBomb said:

Maybe adding a bunch more of his special dishes would fix the problems with the ingredients...?

TBH there should just be a few more low value Fishdishes that you can easily make even with Limpets and Mussels but currently the only ones that don't require at least a Fishvalue of 2 are Fishsticks, California Rolls and Mussels Whateveritscalled (but that's Warly exclusive) but those are only 3 recipes that you can make with all that overflowing extra lowvalue fishmeat you got. Already said that maybe Ceviche should be brought down to 1.5 or 1 Fishvalue cause it's really not a good recipe anyway and keeping it at 2 Fishvalue is just a waste of Fish when Jelly-O-Pop and Banana Pops are easier to make and don't require Ingrediences that can also be used for better stuff (like Seafood Gumbo or Surf'N'Turf)

And even then it's not easy adding more to Warlys recipes because currently there are not a lot of Ingrediences to work with. Although we could use some Recipes for Living Crabs since they are basicly worthless at this point.

Well, I liked more: "The last thing Warly eats was "saved" on his mouth, if he eats 2 of the same thing in a row he gets a penalty.". They should keep it + add buffs to his special recipes (attack speed, movement speed, resistance to fire, etc.)

I dont like Warly changes. His only true advantage was the fact that he has an easier time making food but now he can't abuse his bonus and requires actual ingredient/food/hunger management, which means there is almost no point using him over any other character that can eat the same good recipes multiple times or raw things without penalty.

Just now, voyager156 said:

Well, I liked more: "The last thing Warly eats was "saved" on his mouth, if he eats 2 of the same thing in a row he gets a penalty.". They should keep it + add buffs to his special recipes (attack speed, movement speed, resistance to fire, etc.)

You mean the stuff people have been suggesting for weeks now? Cause tbh i could live with the Warly Changes if eating different kinds of recipes had more benefits other then increased statgain heck this would make Warly even pretty interesting to play as because you wan't to hunt for more out there recipes because you could make some really powerfull Buffs out of them.

what ticks me off more than anything is having to remember what recipes he has eaten and in what order so that I can rotate them and not get a penalty, I absolutely love the mobile crock pot, and I nearly always play as Warly although I am seriously reconsidering this and debating which character I want to switch to - the mobile crock pot just is not worth having to juggle and remember numerous recipes  over two days, plus the additional spaces in his sack were welcome, but now that you are needing to utilise more dishes, you need more ingredients and are back once again to limited space... not my favourite changes to SW I have to say 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the change. It challenges me to seek out different recipes, presenting a fresh approach to cooking in DS. Normally, I just make whatever I can with what's on hand, but with him I am forced to vary my play. I like the extra challenge

If you're looking for someone with equal advantages to everyone else, Warly isn't it. If you're looking for a different style of play, he is.

But Warly was never supposed to challenging, he was supposed to be an easy character that can carry food for longer and cook anywhere. Simple but efficient. This change doesn't make him harder (food was never a problem to begin with), it just makes him more annoying and ironically he becomes harder to manage hunger than the other characters.

47 minutes ago, Serph said:

But Warly was never supposed to challenging, he was supposed to be an easy character that can carry food for longer and cook anywhere. Simple but efficient. This change doesn't make him harder (food was never a problem to begin with), it just makes him more annoying and ironically he becomes harder to manage hunger than the other characters.

Agreed!  Moreover, as much as I appreciate what WillPwn4Food says regarding game style.  Warly was already designed with a different game style in mind, as opposed to a focus on a base, his design was to lend itself to a more nomadic lifestyle and exploration.  Now it feels like you do need to focus on a base as early as possible, My game style has changed in the sense that -in the past I would leave spider dens to grow so the yield was more, now I want to find at least one and destroy it, create a science machine with a temp base and catch some bees to create a beehive within the first week so that my four meals can primarily be honey ham or even nuggets, meat balls, fish sticks and California roll - all fairly easy to make.  But as I said, instead of spending my first few days getting enough gold to build an alchemy machine and then making a cargo boat and exploring until at least day 14 before deciding on the best base location.  I am now 'all about the base' in week one!  Spending week 2 building it up and then the last couple of weeks going out and about to build up resources... its changed the game play for me and taken the nomadic/exploration focus away from this character.  Which was the primary reason I enjoyed playing him, his style was different than other characters, now it is more alike them IMO.

13 hours ago, Serph said:

His "pickyness" changed.

Before: The last thing Warly eats was "saved" on his mouth, if he eats 2 of the same thing in a row he gets a penalty. This resets everytime Warly eats something new, so in a sense, this problem was easily overcomed by alternating between multiple foods (or simlpy carryingg some seeds to eat between repeated dishes).

Now: Everything Warly eats stays "saved" for 2 days. So, you can alternate dishes as you want but if you eat the same thing before 2 days you get the penalty and the time resets. This is an actual big downside as it forces Warly to make different dishes and manage his time between then. 

Edit: His bonus from cooked dishes also went from 20% to 33%. (His hunger is 33% faster btw). Edit, welp, too slow someone already answered.

I love his new downside! ^__^

Finally a reason to cook more than 3 diffrent recipes, in a game with more than 30 crockpot dishes..

9 hours ago, Serph said:

That is not ironic,

he is the pickiest eater in the game and got the most crockpot recipes, because he is a Chef,

of course his hunger should be the hardest to manage, there is no character like this in the game yet.

Most top tier recipes are meat recipes, so Wigfrid has no problem to manage her hunger.

Wolfgang has a normal hunger drain in wimpy form, so every decent player plays him in wimpy form, when they don't have to fight, so Wolfgang has also no problem to manage his hunger.

I find it only logical, that there should be atleast 1 character, that has a harder time to feed himself in a survival game that is called: Don't Starve.

So I like it that Warlys top priority is food

and not silk, gold or logs, like for every other character in the cast.

58 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

Finally a reason to cook more than 3 diffrent recipes, in a game with more than 30 crockpot dishes..

45, but who's counting. I agree with this statement.

10 hours ago, Serph said:

But Warly was never supposed to challenging, he was supposed to be an easy character

Says where? The point of different characters in Don't Starve is to provide variety in game play. A week ago, a lot of people were complaining about "unimaginative characters that really aren't different from any other". Now, there you have it, a truly unique character which changes the game play quite significantly, and offers different set of challenges than any other.

Been still playing him. The picky eater thing started off tough, but I think I'm getting an idea how to handle it. Managing his hunger isn't the worst thing about him, but it just feels like that's all he's about. He just needs a little more to his abilities to make him feel worth it.

Wickerbottom is a picky eater, but she gets an early knowledge advantage and specialty books to enchance her gameplay.

Wigfrid can only eat meat, but she has battle prowess to make up for it.

Wolfgang has a continually changing hunger rate, but gains speed, defense, and attack if he eats enough, becoming a super powerful fighter!

Then there's Warly. His power is convenience of food prep and storage, which is to simply make up got his hunger weakness. Compared to these characters, it's a little lacking. Make his unique recipes more worthwhile or orient them to provide something more unique (I've been mass suggesting the stat boost idea plenty of times, heh) and we got us a unique character with more reason to use.other than covering his own weakness.

I'm the same here, I like the change and the direction it is going. Making Warly a picky eater force the player to think outside of the - Meatballs/Bacon&Eggs - box and induce a new gameplay. Now the only thing he needs is that his unique recipes being a bit more appealing and that Mussel Bouillabaisse is tradable to the Yaarctopus (yeah I will not give up on this one!).

I also think that some SW recipes could use a up which will help Warly too. There is just too much Health recipes and not enough Hunger one. You know what? Here are my suggestions for all SW recipes :

• Banana Pop : Lower the Sanity to 15/20 to reflect how easy it is to acquire.
  • Bisque : Make it 30 Health and 18.75 Hunger but lower the requirement to 2 Limpets. I'm not fan of recipes with only 1 way to be made and 60 Health was completely absurd for a recipe with such easily available ingredients. On the other hand it restore much less Hunger than its components which is weird.
  • California Roll : I think they are at the right place, an easily available all around food but that does not restore too much.
  • Ceviche : 20 Health, 25 Hunger, 33 Sanity. Make it the full fish sanity restoration food. Given that it needs at least 1 "full fish" the stats are really too low at the moment.
  • Jelly-o-Pop : 40 Health, 18.75 Hunger. Jellyfish are a bit trickier to get than most other fish food so make it worth it.
  • Lobster Bisque : Fine given that Lobster can be tricky to catch.
  • Lobster Dinner : Same here I think it is at the right place.
  • Seafood Gumbo : 20 Health, 75 Hunger, 5 Sanity. If there is one recipe that fit to be the Hunger Filler of fish food it is this one.
  • Shark Fin Soup : Fine as it is, I like the idea of a food increasing Naughtiness.
  • Surf 'n' Turf : 40 Health, 62.5 Hunger, 33 Sanity. Given the amount of Hunger you invest in that it is weird it restore only 37.5. The Health restoration make Lobster Bisque and Dinner useless since you can make S'n'T with 1 Wobster + 3 MM.

For Warly Recipes :

• Fresh Fruit Crepes : Good recipe, fine as it is.
  • Monster Tartare : 3 Health, 62.5 Hunger, 10 Sanity. You can easily turn one Monster Meat into an Egg to get Pierogi so give this recipe a reason to exist, more Hunger.
  • Mussel Bouillabaisse : Make the requirement 1 Vegetable so it is possible to use Mushroom/Seaweed. As it is there is little reason to use it over California Roll but if you can use mush/seaweed it is a slighly different version (+5 Sanity, use any Vegetables but needs a specific fish). Did I mention being tradable to Yaarctopus? Pretty sure I did.
  • Sweet Potato Souffle : Make the requirement 1 Egg, Increase the Perish time to 20. Once again it is a recipe with unecessary high requirement, the stats are also not particularly interesting so giving it more perish time could be a good idea.

14 hours ago, WillPwn4Food said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the change. It challenges me to seek out different recipes, presenting a fresh approach to cooking in DS. Normally, I just make whatever I can with what's on hand, but with him I am forced to vary my play. I like the extra challenge

If you're looking for someone with equal advantages to everyone else, Warly isn't it. If you're looking for a different style of play, he is.

I understand your point, but still 2 days it too much in my opinion. If they lower it to 1 day + gave him some buff-perk --> then I wouldn't complain at all.

Because then in my opinion he would be balanced. And now many people won't play him, cos he has mainly downsides now. And I don't think that was the main purpose of this character - rather nomadic stye play - which now just don't work well.

I now hate this character so much it's not funny :( And so many players thought Wigfrid was picky! (Personally I love her.) Warly is like the worst downsides of Wigfrid plus Wolfgang plus even more... I don't understand how he can be considered a good character for a nomadic lifestyle, when a nomad typically can't collect enough ingredients to make all the different recipes day after day. Needing some variety in his meals, fine, I can live with that - I actually like to do that with all my characters, even though it's not necessary, just to make things interesting. But only being able to eat a food every two days without suffering penalties is too much... Especially the cumulative penalties! I'm on the brink of starvation with this guy in the midst of what, to any other character (even Wigfrid!) would be a paradise of food. He now has a HUGE disadvantage in the early game, and in the later game, knowing a couple more recipes really doesn't make a statistical difference; once you are settled and have the resources you need, all characters are able to do very well without the extra boost.

To my mind, his best feature would be being able to move around during meteor season with his crock pot; but good luck surviving that far with Warly! You could just as well stack a bunch of food in your inventory and run off to a secondary base for the duration. I just think the penalties now outweigh the advantages so much he's not worth playing, which is a shame, because he was otherwise interesting (and I love the steel drums). I think the game needs a lot more seafood based recipes for him to work; it's hard obtaining meat, except monster meat, and the smaller seafoods (limpets, mussels, crab meat) aren't any good on their own, which they should be. There should at the very least be a meatballs type substitute for these (I've already suggested fish chowder as a new recipe). I mean c'mon. They now spawn you on starter islands with 10 limpet rocks to make sure you don't starve - but Warly is having none of it!

I'm all for unique characters and balance etc. etc. but before this, Wolfgang was the only one I didn't much like (I haven't played Wes or Maxwell). I was looking forward to playing Warly, but he's just too frustrating now and I'm disappointed. If Klei wanted him to be a Wes-style challenge for the most experienced gamers, then fine; but as only the second character to be unlocked in the new expansion, that doesn't seem very fair. Wigfrid and Webber made RoG a little easier, and also fun; I feel that Walani does this for SW but Warly falls way short of the mark since this update.

Archived