Shipwrecked Build 170972 - March 23rd

4 hours ago, Bryce said:

• Birds will no longer have a pirate hat when placed in the birdcage.

Wait, does this mean pirate parrots don't show their hats anymore, or was there a bug where all birds had hats in the birdcage (whether they were pirate or not)? 

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

• Developer
5 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

was there a bug where all birds had hats in the birdcage (whether they were pirate or not)? 

Yeap, that was the case.

I really wish they'd let us make hats for our birds, though. That bug was so cute!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Moon64 said:

To the folks complaining about the monkey balls change, do you realize you can wall the monkey balls in for the same effect?

Also, why build your entire base around a glitch? Why are they so critical and what effect can't be achieved by walling the ball in?

What I don't quite get is that wall/chest... it produced the same effect, why the need for change?  Why were people so anti chests?  I actually never knew about the wall, so now Im completely fine with the change and see no difference to the game play on this.  However, I always assumed that the call for the removal of the 'monkey ball in chest' feature was to take this feature away completely.  Now I don't quite understand why people were calling for it in the first place, because essentially it has not really changed anything.  I assume it was because people wanted to be able to store a ball without it drawing the apes in.

• Like 1

I didn't know about the birds getting a hat in the cage tell day before yesterday and now they take it out. I liked it I can't see why they would take away the pirates hat from the caged birds it was very cool to see a bird with a little hat and now it's gone sad face

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Why was the gas mask changed?

It made sense(Gas Mask protects against Gas. WTF what would a perticulate purifier do. Its like how Endothermic Fire is something you know will cool you down and you know Miner's Hat produces light, even without seeing their art), and its not like it was really demanding recipe wise. 

The names Particulate Purifier and Endothermic Fire make sense regarding their functions, the only downside is that they use scientific terminology that may not be known to all players, especially those whose first language is not English.

For example, an Endothermic reaction is one that typically absorbs heat energy from its surrounding, which makes sense in the case of Don't Starve because you feel cooler near the reaction; heat is absorbed.

Particulate is a bit of a stranger one; it refers to microscopic chucks of liquid or solid matter suspended in the air or atmosphere. When a building is burning and firefighters wear Gas Masks, it is to protect them against particulate (ash in the air) and gaseous hazards (smoke). Purifier just means a device that make something impure no longer dangerous, or at least cleaner.

My main concern is that the Particulate Purifier would only work on particulates and not gas, whereas a Gas Mask would work on both, but that's just me being very picky as a scientist.

So both names make sense, I think they just wanted to go along with the theme of the game, which features a genius inventor/scientist as the 'main' character :) Simply put, the names they chose are more interesting than 'Gas Mask'. Sorry for the boring science lesson, I do agree with you that the change is a little unneeded perhaps, but I support their decision to try and make the game wackier and more whimsical.

Edited by Daggaroth
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Daggaroth said:

The names Particulate Purifier and Endothermic Fire make sense regarding their functions, the only downside is that they use scientific terminology that may not be known to all players, especially those whose first language is not English.

For example, an Endothermic reaction is one that typically absorbs heat energy from its surrounding, which makes sense in the case of Don't Starve because you feel cooler near the reaction; heat is absorbed.

Particulate is a bit of a stranger one; it refers to microscopic chucks of liquid or solid matter suspended in the air or atmosphere. When a building is burning and firefighters wear Gas Masks, it is to protect them against particulate (ash in the air) and gaseous hazards (smoke). Purifier just means a device that make something impure no longer dangerous, or at least cleaner.

My main concern is that the Particulate Purifier would only work on particulates and not gas, whereas a Gas Mask would work on both, but that's just me being very picky as a scientist.

So both names make sense, I think they just wanted to go along with the theme of the game, which features a genius inventor/scientist as the 'main' character :) Simply put, the names they chose are more interesting than 'Gas Mask'. Sorry for the boring science lesson, I do agree with you that the change is a little unneeded perhaps, but I support their decision to try and make the game wackier and more whimsical.

...Well now I feel dumb.

Thanks though. 

3 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

...Well now I feel dumb.

Thanks though. 

Sorry for making you feel that way, it certainly wasn't my intention.

Don't Starve is just kinda one of those games where you make something, and you think to yourself "... what is this?", and I think that can add to the charm of the game. It encourages research (looking on the wiki), deduction (looking at the item description and appearance in the crafting menu), and experimentation (using it and hoping for the best).

It's like you know you have a frog sandwich, but you're looking at a Froggle Bunwich ;) 

• Like 2

• Developer
12 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

never mind im a dumbo

It was changed for art reasons. Hats were never meant to cover the entire face, only to sit on top of the head. The original gas mask art had a lot of problems with layering so we decided to redesign it.

• Like 3

I might have skimmed over it but, what about Wilbur and him equipping poop when attempting to use it (as fuel or fertilizer)? It gets pretty annoying when you're trying to fertilize crop and have to unequip it constantly.

On 23.3.2016 at 5:34 PM, TeoSS69 said:

Adapting to situations instead of whining and demanding devs change stuff is something that I wish more players did. Maybe this way we wouldn't have had nerfs to Poision, Warly etc.

Screenshot (131).png

Thing is, after 1 method got removed, and this is not much better, why wouldn't Capy/Klei remove this method as well?

That is why I don't use it and don't suggest it even, because it has a good chance to be removed too. 

1 minute ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Thing is, after 1 method got removed, and this is not much better, why wouldn't Capy/Klei remove this method as well?

That is why I don't use it and don't suggest it even, because it has a good chance to be removed too. 

Because the above method above isn't a bug technically.

Monkey balls attracting monkeys whilst in a chest was a bug and thus was fixed. It wasn't hard to see it coming and if you used a bug as crutch then you need to learn to adapt.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Except this method exist in the base game and RoG. Works for almost all creatures. You can put any item any creature wants behind a walled area, and they will try to get it, unsuccessfully, unless they can attack walls.

While I don't disagree that this also is a kind of exploit, the bar to pull this off is much higher than a ball in a chest. Take a look at that screenshot, that particular setup uses 78 pieces of coral, and requires an alchemy engine, and quite a bit of time to craft and set up. Plus, walls have health, so they can be attacked and destroyed (spiders, hounds, random AoE attack) if you are not paying attention. Now let's compare this to chest exploit. Requirements: 12 pieces of wood, science machine, can be setup in no time, can't be attacked.

3 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

They've let fire farms, that make any resource collection and mob fights trivial, in for years. Don't think they'll bother fixing this. But as Maxwell guru above said, Monkeys checking chests and backpacks was a bug. They tried to collect from them and ended up brain dead, reacting only when they got attacked. If Klei wanted this to be in the game, they wouldn't have removed it completely, like they didn't remove Monkeys spawning treasure with Woodlegs' hat, even after it got reported.

2 hours ago, stl1234 said:

that particular setup uses 78 pieces of coral,

Don't have to use that much though. It was just to show the SMB was inside the walls.

• Like 1

On 22.3.2016 at 6:53 PM, Bryce said:

All characters now have completed inspection strings!

Willow likes to dissagree with that.

20160328222658_1.thumb.jpg.5ce3aeeb6783e

So far i only saw this on Wildboars and California Rolls but i haven't seen much with her yet (and just for reference i examine everything with every Character to see what they have to say).

• Like 5

I think that WX-78 has the same with Wildbores - can't check it now because died of damned Dragoon Egg. Gawd, survived almost 2 years. Those goddamned rocks always get me, klei nerf plz.

WX-78 says "IT'S A... THING" while inspecting dead dogfish, and I bet there are more cases like this one.

On 3/22/2016 at 6:53 PM, Bryce said:
  • The telelocator staff can no longer teleport you to invalid locations.
  • Clock is now synced between worlds.

Actually the staff is still wonky, submitted a bug report for it already.

As for the clock sync, @Bryce i've already submitted a report for this a while ago. but currently the season length in RoG and SW is not the same. Is this intended and we have to deal with out of sync seasons and random lengths in RoG or are you guys working on a fix?

Oh my... that update was such a huge addition to SW that before saying anything, i had to play at least two years with Woodlegs as a test.

Thanks to that i get quite a view on every ninja update like for example : dragoon don't drop obsidian like they used to, jungle tree drop more banana than before, hammering a pig house give you a second pig etc.

I'm really glad that monkey aren't brain dead anymore! That bug has been around for months and now its harder to stockpile banana! Everything has been said on that matter, right now, it looks like R&G's way to manage rocklobster. I never made more than 3 monkey hut anyway, its more than enought supply to survive and manage sanity.

Well i was writing this notes when suddenly a ninja "70mb" patch cames out of nowhere ? Someone know what this is about ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ptitetortue said:

Well i was writing this notes when suddenly a ninja "70mb" patch cames out of nowhere ? Someone know what this is about ?

I'm also curious what was in it...

Edited by voyager156
spelling
  • Like 2

• Developer
48 minutes ago, Ptitetortue said:

The majority of the download size comes from sound effect tweaks that weren't listed in the change notes.

• Like 3

On 29.3.2016 at 3:20 PM, Mr.P said:

Willow likes to dissagree with that.

20160328222658_1.jpg

So far i only saw this on Wildboars and California Rolls but i haven't seen much with her yet (and just for reference i examine everything with every Character to see what they have to say).

Woodlegs also doesnt have quotes on the different states of a fire pit.