How long did it take for you to unlock Woodlegs?

I'm curious about how long it takes for people to unlock Woodlegs. This isn't a thread to complain or attempt to make changes, I'm simply curious about other people's experience.

For me, I'm on day 178 and I still only have 2 keys, missing the Bone Key. I have found the volcano and his cage in it. This is with Wilbur on default world settings (but bugged with all seasons being 20 days long, and with a 8 day offset caused by the volcano visit). This is how much of the world I've explored so far:20160313221014_1.thumb.jpg.966744340f46a

Did you unlock Woodlegs? If so how long did it take, which character did you use, any interesting world settings, or any other highlights? If not, how much progress did you make?

Used Wilbur, took less than a game year (so thats less than 74 days), no special settings no cheating.  Only interesting thing is the last sunken grave I fished up FINALLY had the key.  I don't remember exactly how long it took cause I don't really pay attention to those things when unlocking characters.  I get em and then move on.

2 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Did you unlock Woodlegs? If so how long did it take, which character did you use, any interesting world settings, or any other highlights? If not, how much progress did you make?

It took 22 days for me.

I fished my first grave with Wilson on day 81, I got the first key after 8-9 graves.

Then I fed the Yaarctopus 5 times and got the second key (normally I ignore the Yaarctopus, he is not convenient enough to bother)

and on day 99 I spawned the Quacken after one and a half trawl nets and killed it in a minute for the third key.

(please buff his health Klei/Capy and give it a melee bite attack)

Then I choped some trees and visited the volcano on day 103 (I normally don't bother to get there either, coffee is way to strong and has no proper drawbacks at the moment and besides of that, there is not much to the volcano) and unlocked Woodlegs.

The graves are a little bit annoying (I guess the drop chance of the key is very low) but I enjoyed unlocking Woodlegs, I actually enjoyed unlocking him more than playing Woodlegs.

I played Woodlegs 3 ingame days and in my opinion he is extremly broken.

I used the lucky hat once, got 5 treasure marks and got on day 1: a dark sword, obsidian machete, 12 Dubloons, 8 boards (I hammered the chests down), wind breaker, gems, thulecite armor, etc. It is completly ridiculous.

I never build a torch in those 3 days, I just fired with my boat cannon in trees and got enough light by that. I crafted my "Sea Legs" in those 3 days 3 freaking times.

I hammered down the pirate ship when it got under 100 durability (I lowerd the durability wby driving into waves) and got the boat cannon, 2 boards and I guess 2 dubloons back, I got more than enough dubloons and boards from the treasure chests and just crafted a new 500 durability "Sea Legs"...there is no need to craft a boat repair kit for that ship, just build the ship all over again.

His sanity drain on land is a very minor downside for how insanely strong his perks are....AND he can't drown, never!

I enjoy Woodlegs, how he is at the moment the least of all Don't Starve characters (vanilla, ROG and SW), he is from a balance standpoint actually worse than many mod characters, that beeing said, in terms of Art Design and Sound Design Woodlegs is amazing,

I hope he gets tweaked a lot or I don't want to play him, it just ruins the survival aspect of the game, that he is so freaking overpowered.

Man... I ranted quiet a bit, eh? Sorry for that. ^__^

Edit:

My world settings:

Gras - less

Vines - less

Sand - less

Crabs - less

Shoals - less

Corals - less

Prime Apes - less

Krampus - a lot (never got the Krampus Sack, not in over 1300 hours DS)

The rest is default.

(my notebook is not very strong and I have to reduce lag a bit with those settings)

used wilson, got him on day ~150

- i searched very long for the last grave, i think my map is 99% clear at least... the last grave on the map yielded the bone key

- i think it was gift #7 which got me the golden key

- needed 7 (!) full trawl nets to finally spawn the quacken, the fight was rather uninteresting. that guy needs a buff

ran into the volcano and unlocked woodlegs. don't actually plan on playing him tho

I survived the first in game year as Warly to test out his updated perks, and then I thought to myself, hey, this is going pretty well, maybe I should try unlocking Woodlegs now. So that's what I did.

I knew I needed to find the Yaarctopus, so I spend a lot of the time exploring the map quite methodically. I had explored 80% of the map before finding the Yaarctopus, Slot Machine, Tiger Shark Den and Volcano all in very close proximity. Explored thus far has been difficult because I hadn't managed to find a Walking Cane or Coffee yet, and my DoyDoys had not mated enough for me to be comfortable making a Featherlite Sail. That was towards the end of Mild Season, when I also fished up the Bone Key fairly quickly.

I spent also all of Hurricane Season trading with Yaarctopus to get the Golden Key, and towards the end of the season, I finally got it.

Then I spent Monsoon Season trawling to the find the Quacken, and all things considered it was quite a simple fight. I unlocked Woodlegs at the start of Dry Season when I went to see the Altar of Snackrifice. So I guess it took about 3 to 4 seasons with some prep and playing quite carefully and casually.

First Surf 'N' Turf I gave to Yaar, got the key.

Then tried to survive and take care of my base, alongside fishing watery graves and trawling. When I finally get the key from the graves, Quacken suddenly spawns as well, and after killing it, I got both of the keys.

Went into the fog, entered the volcano(after exiting the fog I was so close to the volcano and slot machine and tiger shark island haha), explored, released woodlegs.

I got him before Moonsoon Season, near the end of Hurricane. 

31 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

First Surf 'N' Turf I gave to Yaar, got the key.

Then tried to survive and take care of my base, alongside fishing watery graves and trawling. When I finally get the key from the graves, Quacken suddenly spawns as well, and after killing it, I got both of the keys.

Went into the fog, entered the volcano(after exiting the fog I was so close to the volcano and slot machine and tiger shark island haha), explored, released woodlegs.

I got him before Moonsoon Season, near the end of Hurricane. 

Did you played Woodlegs yet?

Just now, HeilerderWelten said:

Yeah but worldgen gave me a super boring world, so my current goal is essentially to world hop haha. (Only benefit is being close to 2 brainy sprouts and yaarctopus)

Didn't really experience him entirely yet though. As in, I didn't even use the lucky hat. Been too busy in my Webber run. 

I got him in 50 days. I wanted to play him so bad cause I love his design but no cheating for me thank you very much. SO I went with a Wolfgang and it was going really well. Got the bone key in my first grave (HEHEHEHEHEHE) and Quacken was as easy as always........................................ BUT THAT CHEAP SQUID CAPTAIN WOULDN'T GIVE ME THE GOD DAMNED GOLD KEY!!!

I got it after 30 days of trying... woho got Woodlegs... OP in SW and crazy in RoG... please update him...

On 14.3.2016 at 3:54 PM, HeilerderWelten said:

Actually recently I did.

I just now passed Hurricane Season, and here's a bit of what I have:

a full obsidian set, 2 full thulecite sets, a bunch of captain hats and ton of gems, one doydoy already, a walking cane, magiluminscence, sleek hat, 12 chests full of loot, iron wind, etc.

Most of these, I got even before the first half of Hurricane Season was over. 

36 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Actually recently I did.

I just now passed Hurricane Season, and here's a bit of what I have:

a full obsidian set, 2 full thulecite sets, a bunch of captain hats and ton of gems, one doydoy already, a walking cane, magiluminscence, sleek hat, 12 chests full of loot, iron wind, etc.

Most of these, I got even before the first half of Hurricane Season was over. 

Yeah, Woodlegs perks are insane.

For me personally they break the game and I don't enjoy it to have so many end game Items

in the first half of the first year, but for each his own I guess.

Just now, HeilerderWelten said:

Yeah, Woodlegs perks are insane.

For me personally they break the game and I don't enjoy it to have so many end game Items

in the first half of the first year, but for each his own I guess.

I enjoy it to a certain extent. So far at least. 

I am over day 100,  have basically 100% of the map discovered, have traded EVERY single trinket I have found, every recipe he accepts, and now down to basic fish items. Still have not gotten that flipping golden key. I have had the other two since day 30. I am loosing my mind, lol! Any tricks other than keep trading?

I was thinking of world hopping and that way I can start with new trinkets? Does anyone know if the item maters? Or if it is just 10% no matter what?

DSSW Map.jpg

Archived